Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
I will personally get down on my knees and worship your genius when you do a sub 90min 70.3 ride*

*note this offer expires in 2021 when they introduce the e-bike category.

Lololol got confused between 90km and 90mins :-)

Im personally thinking (now im home with my white board)

This looks do able.

Swim 30mins
Bike 3 hours
Run 1:45
Transitions 15mins

So. I need to shave off 30mins from the ride.... bloody cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
And note that don't find cycling easy. It's just that after decades of constant riding, including 2 hours a day of hilly commute at hard pace everyday for 3 years, then on top of my natural advantage of huge lungs, my hard work lets me ride quicker than most. Despite all that, it takes me about 8-10 hours of riding a week to maintain that, split between high intensity, low intensity and my weekly 150km ride. Honestly, amongst all of the cyclists / triathletes I know, including over 50 that I have good visibility of the training, and there are non that are significantly quicker than me with less training. Some are definitely faster, but they train more hours and have made better kit choices. Some train a lot less than me, and are either a little bit slower, or a lot slower. And this includes some really switched on coaches.

Unlike swimming and running, then your feet are fixed to the pedals and so there's not the technique options that the other disciplines have. You can pedal piston and not round, that will slow you down. You can use the wrong cadence, that will slow you down. You can stand and rock the bike side to side instead of staying seated with the bike upright, that'll slow you down. But aside from that, it's down to cardio, core strength and leg strength in that order. No short cut to the first one. The last one comes as a result of doing the work for the first one. And whilst 90% of the field won't do the core strength, they also won't realise how they are compromising their cycling, and also won't go sub 2h30 (I'm assuming that's what you mean't, not 90min).

Core strength you say? Im told my core strength is a baby girls. Would that be a factor? How do you develop core? Just loads of sub threshold cycling?
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Simo429] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simo429 wrote:
I don't find cycling easy I don't know anyone who does.

If you are looking for the trick its this structured workouts and consistency.

This year after 3-4 years of 3 hour HIM bike splits I bought myself a powermeter, got on trainer road and been super consistent with 3-4 sessions on the bike every week and all of them structured with a purpose and I have gone from less than 3 watts/kg to almost 4. But if you think you are going to get there with a couple of weeks you are as others have said utterly deluded.

I can barely push 150 watts. I dont understand why. My max speed tends to me 35kph and I can hold 33 for like an hour and 30 for close to 3 hours. For the life of me, i dont see how people do 40kph.

At least with running, i can sprint sub 3min k pace (not for a km)... but at least I can do it.

I only ever see 40kph downhill
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
.....I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.

And I disagree.

I HAVE coached people from 44min swims to 32mins in 7 weeks.

I HAVE improved my running. Just from running properly and doing a progressively longer long run once a week.

There WILL be an 80:20 rule for cycling. That will see me do sub 90mins. But because you all find it EASY. you dont realize, its a simeple technique or layer of muscle. I will find it.
Swimming is about technique first and foremost. You can go much faster with the same effort just by doing it right.

Running is technique, CV fitness and durability. You can go faster with similar effort by doing it right, you need to build up to distance.

Cycling is almost entirely a product of power output. technique is not really much off a factor. You turn the pedals and the bike goes forward - there's not a lot of variation in how you do this once you've done even a very moderate amount of cycling.
The only easy gain is drag reduction. Aerodynamics being by far the biggest element of drag at reasonable speeds. Aerodynamic drag is primarily dictated by your size and position on the bike (so bike fit may help), clothing and equipment make a smaller but still relevant difference. Rolling resistance can easily be dealt with by using reasonable quality low resistance tyres. Get latex tubes and GP5000 tyres and forget about that entire topic until you're worrying about the last few seconds.

So there's no "trick" in cycling. Increase your ability to produce power by training and reduce areas where it's wasted by minimising drag.[/quote]
This is good. Now how do you increase ability to produce power?
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
.....I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.

And I disagree.

I HAVE improved my running. Just from running properly and doing a progressively longer long run once a week.

There WILL be an 80:20 rule for cycling. That will see me do sub 90mins. But because you all find it EASY. you dont realize, its a simeple technique or layer of muscle. I will find it.

Swimming is about technique first and foremost. You can go much faster with the same effort just by doing it right.

Running is technique, CV fitness and durability. You can go faster with similar effort by doing it right, you need to build up to distance.

Cycling is almost entirely a product of power output. technique is not really much off a factor. You turn the pedals and the bike goes forward - there's not a lot of variation in how you do this once you've done even a very moderate amount of cycling.
The only easy gain is drag reduction. Aerodynamics being by far the biggest element of drag at reasonable speeds. Aerodynamic drag is primarily dictated by your size and position on the bike (so bike fit may help), clothing and equipment make a smaller but still relevant difference. Rolling resistance can easily be dealt with by using reasonable quality low resistance tyres. Get latex tubes and GP5000 tyres and forget about that entire topic until you're worrying about the last few seconds.

So there's no "trick" in cycling. Increase your ability to produce power by training and reduce areas where it's wasted by minimising drag.

This is good. Now how do you increase ability to produce power?[/quote]You train.

There's more than one way to go about it this. Some are surely better than others, and some are more time intensive than others, but none of them are an easy magic bullet.

I'm the same height as you and was between 80-84kg for the last few years (I've since gained a bit - I blame the new baby). My 20min max power has been 305W (I use 95% of that as FTP so 290W most of last year- I suspect 90% might be more accurate for me). I was capable of bike splits around 2:30 on relatively flat routes with an okay, but not great, position. I reckon I should be able to go faster with less by working on my position and clothing.

I routinely do two 60-80min sessions on the trainer with Zwift on weekday evenings and one longer ride at the weekend. The longer ride could be anything from 2hrs to 5hrs depending on time of year, planned race distance, and whether I'm focusing on riding or running (I rarely focus on swimming - terrible huh?). The two midweek sessions are usually aimed at spending long durations close to threshold power and/or shorter periods around VO2max. I like a bit of variety so I'll sometimes do group rides or races that have me doing long periods 45-75mins at perhaps 80-88%FTP with occasional surges. Most will use a slightly higher figure as "sweetspot" training intensity (around 90%FTP). Other times I'll do short hill climbs at VO2max intensities using the Zwift terrain for reference. Or I'll do a structured workout like 2x20mins @93-95%FTP with a 3-5min recovery.
The weekend ride will be easier intensity but not easy.

When I was training for long distance cycling only events, I added 4th or even 5th (easier intensity) sessions and pushed up the duration of the 3 standard rides. The other two disciplines were sacrificaed for this but I made gains which I could hold onto later after ramping the volume back down.

You can't do everything at once, and this is especially true if you're time restricted as most of us are.
A lot will depend on your age, your mentality and your bodies ability to recover and resist injury. You're young enough. I think your mentality will let you down based on what you're saying here. You won't know what your body can handle until it doesn't handle it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
I'm in for "The Cycling Trick THEY Don't Want You to Know".

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

I'm sure there is something else. Until I find a study to disprove this. Then it's ride ride ride

And so if the majority of people are telling you the same thing, you think there might be something to it?

You're getting grief because you're looking for a magic bullet when there is none. Ride a lot. Run a lot. Do this for a long time.

Yes they have a lens. A bias. They review this as the magic bullet because of their own views and life. I appreciate that.

However, what they fail to understand. When you have a lot of experience and someone comes along with zero. There is basics you can help them with for mass benefits.

For instance. None of you have mentioned hills, HIIT, tempo or planned endurance increases.

So I get that YOU got for doing years of riding.

BUT... What can someone who didn't even ride a bike as a kid... Do. To learn how to ride.

:-)

And a few of you answered that. Very good feedback.

Bike fit. Right bike. Ride more (which is actually advice)

However, I still want the philological reason for this. Its not vo2, it's just bike muscle endurance? Ok. So which muscles? How much flexibility? Does it have to be open road? Inside? Does running help at all or not? I mean fark there is a lot of questions

But I don't need them answered until I am riding 100km again

We're all aware of the context of your question. The lens you describe is one of experience. Despite your insistence, you're getting good advice.

I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.

And I disagree.

Your agreement isn't required for something to be true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:
I will personally get down on my knees and worship your genius when you do a sub 90min 70.3 ride*

This looks do able.

Swim 30mins
Bike 3 hours
Transitions 15mins

This adds up to 5:30

First off, if you are spending 15 minutes in transition you are doing something deeply wrong. Transitions, even if there is a longish run from swim to the bike racks, should never be more than a few minutes. I would work on your transitions such that you are only spending a total of 5 minutes in there.

You will need to get your cycling down closer to the 2:45 range, and your run down under 1:40
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Step 1: as yourself, are you rich? if so, buy the latest and greatest $10k triathlon bike - probably worth 15 minutes right there! Cuts out hours and hours of training.
Step 2: As others have mentioned, aside from step 1 (which is a joke), just ride. Sounds like you're at the stage where intervals and other "structured" training is irrelevant. Ride every single day for an hour for a month. Sometimes harder, sometimes less hard, just ride. See what happens (you'll get faster, I guarantee it). You probably need 2,000-3,000 miles of base training.

Your ability to get the run to a decent place will be a function of your bike training. Just ride more.

Not sure when your next HIM is but just try our advice and see what happens.

Weekly goals:

7,500 yards swimming (basic maintenance)
250 miles biking
20 miles running (basic maintenance)

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

This looks do able.

Swim 30mins
Bike 3 hours
Transitions 15mins

First off, if you are spending 15 minutes in transition you are doing something deeply wrong. Transitions, even if there is a longish run from swim to the bike racks, should never be more than a few minutes. I would work on your transitions such that you are only spending a total of 5 minutes in there.

You will need to get your cycling down closer to the 2:45 range, and your run down under 1:40

Perhaps he is actually absorbing some advice and dialing the goal down to something more sensible/doable with 5:30.

Just to add, a quick look at Taupo times and a good target for T1 would be 3:30 to 4:30 and T2 0:45-1:30 so basically 5 minutes combined would be stellar but even 6 should be doable with some practice.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:

Core strength you say? Im told my core strength is a baby girls. Would that be a factor? How do you develop core? Just loads of sub threshold cycling?

When your legs push down two things happen. 1, your pedals go down and second your core stops your spine rotating in the opposite direction. Discredited drug cheat armstrong pointed out that if his legs were the springs that powered him, then his core was the girder that they attached to. How do you develop core. Few ways, but 2-3 pilates classes a week for me. Good for flexibility, glutes, etc etc.

And before slagging Pilates off for being a 'girls' thing. You may want to read up on who Joseph Pilates was.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

And I disagree.

So there's no "trick" in cycling. Increase your ability to produce power by training and reduce areas where it's wasted by minimising drag.

This is good. Now how do you increase ability to produce power?
You train.

There's more than one way to go about it this. Some are surely better than others, and some are more time intensive than others, but none of them are an easy magic bullet.

I'm the same height as you and was between 80-84kg for the last few years (I've since gained a bit - I blame the new baby). My 20min max power has been 305W (I use 95% of that as FTP so 290W most of last year- I suspect 90% might be more accurate for me). I was capable of bike splits around 2:30 on relatively flat routes with an okay, but not great, position. I reckon I should be able to go faster with less by working on my position and clothing.

I routinely do two 60-80min sessions on the trainer with Zwift on weekday evenings and one longer ride at the weekend. The longer ride could be anything from 2hrs to 5hrs depending on time of year, planned race distance, and whether I'm focusing on riding or running (I rarely focus on swimming - terrible huh?). The two midweek sessions are usually aimed at spending long durations close to threshold power and/or shorter periods around VO2max. I like a bit of variety so I'll sometimes do group rides or races that have me doing long periods 45-75mins at perhaps 80-88%FTP with occasional surges. Most will use a slightly higher figure as "sweetspot" training intensity (around 90%FTP). Other times I'll do short hill climbs at VO2max intensities using the Zwift terrain for reference. Or I'll do a structured workout like 2x20mins @93-95%FTP with a 3-5min recovery.
The weekend ride will be easier intensity but not easy.

When I was training for long distance cycling only events, I added 4th or even 5th (easier intensity) sessions and pushed up the duration of the 3 standard rides. The other two disciplines were sacrificaed for this but I made gains which I could hold onto later after ramping the volume back down.

You can't do everything at once, and this is especially true if you're time restricted as most of us are.
A lot will depend on your age, your mentality and your bodies ability to recover and resist injury. You're young enough. I think your mentality will let you down based on what you're saying here. You won't know what your body can handle until it doesn't handle it![/quote]
This is great thanks, added to my pad. The recover issue will be ajother thread on hacking that when I reach the point haha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

This looks do able.

Swim 30mins
Bike 3 hours
Transitions 15mins

Oh I agree the numbers dont add up. Hence I came on here :-)

Swim 30
Bike 2:45
Run 1:40
Transitions 5mins (its over a km mind you)

Ok. These are cool goals. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [triczyk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triczyk wrote:
Step 1: as yourself, are you rich? if so, buy the latest and greatest $10k triathlon bike - probably worth 15 minutes right there! Cuts out hours and hours of training.
Step 2: As others have mentioned, aside from step 1 (which is a joke), just ride. Sounds like you're at the stage where intervals and other "structured" training is irrelevant. Ride every single day for an hour for a month. Sometimes harder, sometimes less hard, just ride. See what happens (you'll get faster, I guarantee it). You probably need 2,000-3,000 miles of base training.

Your ability to get the run to a decent place will be a function of your bike training. Just ride more.

Not sure when your next HIM is but just try our advice and see what happens.

Weekly goals:

7,500 yards swimming (basic maintenance)
250 miles biking
20 miles running (basic maintenance)

Good luck!

I did the calcs on my bike and the best legal bikes and it was around 10mins. I think wheels and helmet will give me 5mins and ill be happy with that.

So thats
Swim 8km (yup thats fine)
Bike 400km.... what in the living fuck... thats like 20 hours a week at a slow pace
32km (im building up to 50 atm)
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
g_lev wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Duncan74 wrote:

This looks do able.

Swim 30mins
Bike 3 hours
Transitions 15mins

Perhaps he is actually absorbing some advice and dialing the goal down to something more sensible/doable with 5:30.

Just to add, a quick look at Taupo times and a good target for T1 would be 3:30 to 4:30 and T2 0:45-1:30 so basically 5 minutes combined would be stellar but even 6 should be doable with some practice.

Thanks for this. Great thing is, I can pop up there and practice every few months. Will try and get around the 5min mark... instead of walking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

When your legs push down two things happen. 1, your pedals go down and second your core stops your spine rotating in the opposite direction. Discredited drug cheat armstrong pointed out that if his legs were the springs that powered him, then his core was the girder that they attached to. How do you develop core. Few ways, but 2-3 pilates classes a week for me. Good for flexibility, glutes, etc etc.

And before slagging Pilates off for being a 'girls' thing. You may want to read up on who Joseph Pilates was.....

Yup will add pilates and yoga into my weekly sessions. This is great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I'd ignore that advice to aim for 400km cycling a week with a ride every day. That's just silly for anyone with a life, and not necessarily advantageous.
I consider that I can do pretty well on 1/3 of that. Half would be very decent going during a bike focus block. But I'll average 30-33km/h for shorter sessions so that's 4 to 6hrs cycling with a good proportion at intensity.

You're better thinking in terms of time rather than kilometers or you'll probably end up getting tempted into making up the distance on easier routes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get a good coach and train like you want it. With zero swim/bike/run experience I did 5:30 4 months in, 4:45 1 year in, 4:29 2 years in and chasing 4:10 in 3 weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Yeah, I'd ignore that advice to aim for 400km cycling a week with a ride every day. That's just silly for anyone with a life, and not necessarily advantageous.
I consider that I can do pretty well on 1/3 of that. Half would be very decent going during a bike focus block. But I'll average 30-33km/h for shorter sessions so that's 4 to 6hrs cycling with a good proportion at intensity.

You're better thinking in terms of time rather than kilometers or you'll probably end up getting tempted into making up the distance on easier routes.

Looks like I can give 6 hours so far a week to cycling. Just need to move things around more.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BGildenstern wrote:
Get a good coach and train like you want it. With zero swim/bike/run experience I did 5:30 4 months in, 4:45 1 year in, 4:29 2 years in and chasing 4:10 in 3 weeks.

Nice one bro. What sort of hours were you puttin in? Any particular sessions had a higher ROI?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love how on this site you guys love to crunch the numbers. I try talking stats with ppl IRL and otherwise and they just don't care.

I have some numbers you can chew on...

I'm 39, 6' 1", 88.5kg max HR 200, HM 1:19

Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer. Never used power outside.

Coming up on 2 years of consistent training on top of lifetime of above average fitness.

-Dec 1, 2018: 5.5 months ago got hooked up on Zwift. Three days in completed first ever FTP test at 308. (20 min)

-Dec 18, 2018: made hard KOM attempt and bumped FTP to 312 (20 min within workout)

-Jan 5, 2019: Bumped FTP up to 330 in Tour Du Zwift race as per Zwift Power info (whole race avg)

-Jan 21, 2019: Bumped FTP up to 340 in TDZ race as per ZP info (whole race avg)

-Mar 18, 2019: Made hard effort on ADZ and new PR of 50:09
(bummed because ZP does not give info outside of race but I know I went hard)

-May 7, 2019: Made hard effort on Epic KOM, 22:43, new FTP bumped to 348 (20 min at 367 within workout)
Puts me right at cusp of 4w/kg (3.95 so close!)

22 weeks of training since having Zwift :

-930 miles on Zwift plus 320 outside. (1250 miles/22 weeks = 56 miles a week on bike) gained 40 watts

In conjunction with running and bike training with all three combined weekly average of 5.25 hours. (2-14 hour weeks)

I smoke weed and drink beer everyday, this may or may not help.
Last edited by: JYoung: May 8, 19 14:07
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I love how on this site you guys love to crunch the numbers. I try talking stats with ppl IRL and otherwise and they just don't care.

Coming up on 2 years of consistent training on top of lifetime of above average fitness.

-Dec 1, 2018: 5.5 months ago got hooked up on Zwift. Three days in completed first ever FTP test at 308. (20 min)

-Dec 18, 2018: made hard KOM attempt and bumped FTP to 312 (20 min within workout)

-Jan 5, 2019: Bumped FTP up to 330 in Tour Du Zwift race as per Zwift Power info (whole race avg)

-May 7, 2019: Made hard effort on Epic KOM, 22:43, new FTP bumped to 348 (20 min at 367 within workout)

-930 miles on Zwift plus 320 outside. (1250 miles/22 weeks = 56 miles a week on bike) gained 40 watts

In conjunction with running and bike training with all three combined weekly average of 5.25 hours. (2-14 hour weeks)

#SmokeWeedEveryday

Thanks for this and yes I am ordering a smart trainer soon to get into the swift life.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:

The biggest question that everyone on this number crunching board will want to ask...how are you measuring power on the bike?

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]

The biggest question that everyone on this number crunching board will want to ask...how are you measuring power on the bike?[/quote]
Kinetic Smart trainer has bluetooth and is communicating with Zwift...?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:

The biggest question that everyone on this number crunching board will want to ask...how are you measuring power on the bike?

Kinetic Smart trainer has bluetooth and is communicating with Zwift...?[/quote]

I foresee a big branch about to happen in this thread...

Key in the context of this thread is that you have quantified an improvement in your power, and that's great. There is probably a bit of a debate that can/will be had about the absolute numbers using the measuring approach you have, but that's, in the context of this thread, not vital. You've used specific Zwift sessions over a fairly short period to get markedly faster on the bike in less than 6 hours a week.

Doesn't matter if you've gone from 300 to 340watts FTP or 200-240 here, so the accuracy of the zwiftpower approximation isn't critical
Last edited by: Duncan74: May 8, 19 16:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh man, I don't want cause trouble! lol

What do they say ," Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic ."

That is where I am with it. I plugged all the parts together , don't recall a calibration process. Turned the cranks and numbers popped up on the screen. Told Zwift my weight, off to the races. Seems on par with riders nearby whether I'm going hard or easy, you know when you can look over and see the little watt numbers on the screen floating in front of their bike. Yes I know their weight is unknown.

I can't for the life of me figure how it is counting cadence though. Where is the sensor watching my legs turn over or is it detecting subtle release and return of power with in stroke? What if my leg stroke was perfect 360 degree power input?

Here is more detailed weekly hour break down which might explain low average number:

The first block all Zwift hours

W1: 3:30
W2: 4
W3: 1:50
W4: 3
W5: 2:45
W6: 4:45

This next block all Zwift hours but also mostly Tour Du Swift hours, so low numbers, high effort

W7: 2
W8: 3:45
W9: 4:15
W10:5

Started running again in this block on top of Zwift

W11: 5:20
W12: 4:50
W13: 6:10
W14: 3:30
W15: 8:30
W16: 5
W17: 7:15