Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [JYoung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I love how on this site you guys love to crunch the numbers. I try talking stats with ppl IRL and otherwise and they just don't care.

I have some numbers you can chew on...

I'm 39, 6' 1", 88.5kg max HR 200, HM 1:19

Kinetic Rock and Roll Trainer. Never used power outside.

Coming up on 2 years of consistent training on top of lifetime of above average fitness.

-Dec 1, 2018: 5.5 months ago got hooked up on Zwift. Three days in completed first ever FTP test at 308. (20 min)

-Dec 18, 2018: made hard KOM attempt and bumped FTP to 312 (20 min within workout)

-Jan 5, 2019: Bumped FTP up to 330 in Tour Du Zwift race as per Zwift Power info (whole race avg)

-Jan 21, 2019: Bumped FTP up to 340 in TDZ race as per ZP info (whole race avg)

-Mar 18, 2019: Made hard effort on ADZ and new PR of 50:09
(bummed because ZP does not give info outside of race but I know I went hard)

-May 7, 2019: Made hard effort on Epic KOM, 22:43, new FTP bumped to 348 (20 min at 367 within workout)
Puts me right at cusp of 4w/kg (3.95 so close!)

22 weeks of training since having Zwift :

-930 miles on Zwift plus 320 outside. (1250 miles/22 weeks = 56 miles a week on bike) gained 40 watts

In conjunction with running and bike training with all three combined weekly average of 5.25 hours. (2-14 hour weeks)

I smoke weed and drink beer everyday, this may or may not help.

what are your half ironman times/speed on the bike/run? on what course? I hear power numbers bandied about on this site and dont put much thought into them unless its backed up with how fast they actually are. Thats not having a go or anything, just curious.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IamSpartacus wrote:
[

what are your half ironman times/speed on the bike/run? on what course? I hear power numbers bandied about on this site and dont put much thought into them unless its backed up with how fast they actually are. Thats not having a go or anything, just curious.

Not asked of me, but 255w average gave me a 2:20 HIM split (flat course good surface) where I ran a 1:42, albeit that course included 6km of trail and 2 sets of stairs. 225w average for IMNZ which is hilly and crappy chipseal gave me a 5:20 split. Had gastric issues in final 10km but up to that on for a 3:45 run split. 85kg on race days, down from 109kg just over a year earlier. 1.92cm tall. No attempt at all to be aero so sky high resistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [IamSpartacus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never done any IM. Did one of these 'extreme triathlons' last summer but those numbers all over the place.

2.7 cold water swim 1:20
Bike 115 miles with 4500 vert, 6:20 (bought used road bike 2 weeks prior)
run 27 with 6000 vert 7 hr

not too applicable considering wild terrain.

5k 17:30
10k 37:45
half marathon 1:19

Thats all I have as far as 'recognized events' go. I'm new to Tri and love the excuse to exercise. Most my history in mountain races.
Last edited by: JYoung: May 8, 19 20:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
I've never done any IM. Did one of these 'extreme triathlons' last summer but those numbers all over the place.

Bike 115 miles with 4500 vert, 6:20 (bought used road bike 2 weeks prior)....
Is that 4500ft?
If so, that's a pretty average bike leg. Less elevation than I remember from Austria and that's not considered a particularly tough bike leg. Considering your training power figures 6:20 seems relatively slow, but then FTP estimates based on shorter training sessions doesn't tell you everything about your ability to produce power and maintain a good position over long periods. It doesn't tell you anything about your ability to ride after the swim, or how much you were holding back for the run. Nor, does it indicate what the weather or your aerodynamics and tyre choice were like for that race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The gym bike tells me I produce 106 watts of power when cycling :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
JYoung wrote:

Is that 4500ft?
If so, that's a pretty average bike leg. Less elevation than I remember from Austria and that's not considered a particularly tough bike leg. Considering your training power figures 6:20 seems relatively slow, but then FTP estimates based on shorter training sessions doesn't tell you everything about your ability to produce power and maintain a good position over long periods. It doesn't tell you anything about your ability to ride after the swim, or how much you were holding back for the run. Nor, does it indicate what the weather or your aerodynamics and tyre choice were like for that race.

Cool good to know, I really had no idea about pacing, did it without HR monitor or power meter. Did it on a road bike I bought 2 weeks prior having never been a road bike before that. (1000's of hours on a DH bike though lol)

I do know that I punched too hard on climbs and took too many breaks (6). I would pass a group of people, then they would pass me while I was stopped and was eating and then I would pass them again, several times over. Real up and down effort. Then 3 miles into run portion while still on flat terrain, the wheels fell completely off. Sad bonk time for many hours thereafter.

I'm hoping this year to take an hour off the bike time with better tactics and fitness and then I guess hang on for dear life on the run again...? But that is generally seen as bad tactic. Maybe take 30 min off bike and save it for the run...?

Holy smokes, so many variables!

I was thinking sometime in the next week to do a hard TT effort on a half IM stretch of highway. Gotta get some base numbers to work off of.

Edit: I just looked back at my training log and in the 10 weeks prior to race I logged 350 miles. Lots of 25 mile days. Longest in that period was 48. Longest ever before that was about 1998 when I did 52.

Dang I need to get some volume up.
Last edited by: JYoung: May 9, 19 13:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JYoung wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
JYoung wrote:

Is that 4500ft?

Cool good to know, I really had no idea about pacing, did it without HR monitor or power meter. Did it on a road bike I bought 2 weeks prior having never been a road bike before that. (1000's of hours on a DH bike though lol)

I do know that I punched too hard on climbs and took too many breaks (6). I would pass a group of people, then they would pass me while I was stopped and was eating and then I would pass them again, several times over. Real up and down effort. Then 3 miles into run portion while still on flat terrain, the wheels fell completely off. Sad bonk time for many hours thereafter.

I'm hoping this year to take an hour off the bike time with better tactics and fitness and then I guess hang on for dear life on the run again...? But that is generally seen as bad tactic. Maybe take 30 min off bike and save it for the run...?

Holy smokes, so many variables!

I was thinking sometime in the next week to do a hard TT effort on a half IM stretch of highway. Gotta get some base numbers to work off of.

Edit: I just looked back at my training log and in the 10 weeks prior to race I logged 350 miles. Lots of 25 mile days. Longest in that period was 48. Longest ever before that was about 1998 when I did 52.

Dang I need to get some volume up.

Yeah, volume at a single session is my killer. I'm doing a 2 hour indoor train atm... So bored
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha, I'm supposed to be digging through new set of building plans to prep for breaking ground next week and here I am digging though Internet looking up stats for workouts that I don't have time to do!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
RoostBooster wrote:
I'm in for "The Cycling Trick THEY Don't Want You to Know".

It's PowerCranks, right?

All I've found out is
1. Ride everywhere
2. Get a bike fit
3. Ride everywhere

I'm sure there is something else. Until I find a study to disprove this. Then it's ride ride ride

And so if the majority of people are telling you the same thing, you think there might be something to it?

You're getting grief because you're looking for a magic bullet when there is none. Ride a lot. Run a lot. Do this for a long time.

Yes they have a lens. A bias. They review this as the magic bullet because of their own views and life. I appreciate that.

However, what they fail to understand. When you have a lot of experience and someone comes along with zero. There is basics you can help them with for mass benefits.

For instance. None of you have mentioned hills, HIIT, tempo or planned endurance increases.

So I get that YOU got for doing years of riding.

BUT... What can someone who didn't even ride a bike as a kid... Do. To learn how to ride.

:-)

And a few of you answered that. Very good feedback.

Bike fit. Right bike. Ride more (which is actually advice)

However, I still want the philological reason for this. Its not vo2, it's just bike muscle endurance? Ok. So which muscles? How much flexibility? Does it have to be open road? Inside? Does running help at all or not? I mean fark there is a lot of questions

But I don't need them answered until I am riding 100km again

We're all aware of the context of your question. The lens you describe is one of experience. Despite your insistence, you're getting good advice.

I will give you this though. I don't think you're trolling anymore. I think you're just utterly delusional. Not for having lofty goals, but for insisting that there's some secret that absolutely everybody has missed, but you'll somehow find it. Based on what you've posted, I don't think you're willing to put in the work. Good luck with all of that.

And I disagree.

I HAVE coached people from 44min swims to 32mins in 7 weeks.

I HAVE improved my running. Just from running properly and doing a progressively longer long run once a week.

There WILL be an 80:20 rule for cycling. That will see me do sub 90mins. But because you all find it EASY. you dont realize, its a simeple technique or layer of muscle. I will find i
t.

Its a goddamn aerobic sport! Riding ~32-33kmh required 200w at most, the actual muscular force involved in that at 90rpm is something a 90 year old could exert, you could do it with your arms! There's no technique, you just need to get enough oxygen to your muscles so they can keep repeating that small force for 3hrs. Do you know how you do that? You ride your bike not too easy, hard only 10-20% of the time. There's a hack for you.

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
IamSpartacus wrote:
[

Not asked of me, but 255w average gave me a 2:20 HIM split (flat course good surface) where I ran a 1:42, albeit that course included 6km of trail and 2 sets of stairs. 225w average for IMNZ which is hilly and crappy chipseal gave me a 5:20 split. Had gastric issues in final 10km but up to that on for a 3:45 run split. 85kg on race days, down from 109kg just over a year earlier. 1.92cm tall. No attempt at all to be aero so sky high resistance.

IMNZ chipseal is harsh. And it's usually windy. 5:20 is a good time. But I would not call it a hilly course.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:

IMNZ chipseal is harsh. And it's usually windy. 5:20 is a good time. But I would not call it a hilly course.

It's odd. I'd have sworn after 5 years away that it was a flat course with 2 climbs until I went back before last year to do a training tide and couldn't find the 'flat' bit anywhere on the 90km loop! You're right, total elevation isn't that much, but it's the lack of any flat that made me say hilly - certainly compared to the spirit level flat Tauranga Half course for example. Anyway, was a bit of a side discussion and as usual it's all shades of grey with descriptions.

Context of this thread : Put some time into riding and you'll get faster. No matter how smart you try being, if you don't man-up (person-up?) then you are going to be struggling. If the training was easy then we'd call it Ironraceforlife.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is what it looks like when you almost die trying. Chris Leigh when he had part of his small intestine removed after the race in an emergency surgery.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TyYkKkLRAec/url]

After kids and many they nags getting in the way of training, I have finally realized that even when I took training more serious than most things in my life- the day after the race I went back to work and nobody gave a crap about my time. I was till the same guy.

It’s great to have goals. Just make them realistic and don’t truly die trying. It isn’t THAT important.

On a productive note regarding your goals, your swim is plenty quick- how about backing off a notch as the swim rarely will win a race. I bet if you swam a 30 instead of a 27, you would make up a hell of a lot more time on the bike. I was taught to slowly build through each segment of the race, but also build the entire race. Effort should be the hardest the last 5k or so of a 70.3. I’m still trying to be able to actually run the entire run in a 140.6. That’s my goal, instead of worrying about overall time. It seems like you blew the bike on the last race. Just concentrate on stacking the events productively and worry about overall time later. It will come in time.
Last edited by: jharris: May 9, 19 19:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

There’s a definitive dissatisfaction in having silly goals. It’s almost like an intentional personal handicap just so you can have an excuse if you miss it.

You’re going to have more fun setting realistic goals.

Try for cutting 30min off first, not 2 hours.

No value in a 6 hour 70.3 for me. Might as well not do it.

Makes me remember a ride with a friend of mine I have known for 30 years. We met bmx racing at the track when we were kids. We have ridden bikes forever. We were at the top of a climb on a road ride and we saw a tremendous view. We stopped, soaked it in for about 5 min as we talked a bit. He said- I wish more people rode bikes and realized getting in shape is a side effect, but not really why you do it. I agreed.

It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

There’s a definitive dissatisfaction in having silly goals. It’s almost like an intentional personal handicap just so you can have an excuse if you miss it.

You’re going to have more fun setting realistic goals.

Try for cutting 30min off first, not 2 hours.

No value in a 6 hour 70.3 for me. Might as well not do it.

Makes me remember a ride with a friend of mine I have known for 30 years. We met bmx racing at the track when we were kids. We have ridden bikes forever. We were at the top of a climb on a road ride and we saw a tremendous view. We stopped, soaked it in for about 5 min as we talked a bit. He said- I wish more people rode bikes and realized getting in shape is a side effect, but not really why you do it. I agreed.

It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

I have some clients who say that nothing under a million is worth it for them... I could say enjoy the 400k, but that's not their goal and its wrong of me to put me lens on them without permission.

I just see no value in a 6. I wouldn't train anywhere enough. I need a goal unattainable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
I need a goal unattainable.

5 is easily attainable.

Just not by you with the amount of effort you are prepared to put into training. #harshbutfair
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
I need a goal unattainable.

5 is easily attainable.

Just not by you with the amount of effort you are prepared to put into training. #harshbutfair

7 hours last week
8 hours this week.

It won't be the effort I've put in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
.....No value in a 6 hour 70.3 for me. Might as well not do it.

......It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

I have some clients who say that nothing under a million is worth it for them... I could say enjoy the 400k, but that's not their goal and its wrong of me to put me lens on them without permission.

I just see no value in a 6. I wouldn't train anywhere enough. I need a goal unattainable.
I'm guessing these clients already have plenty money and it's about prioritisation of resources. It's also business. Plus I don't care what they think. If they're irrational/dishonest/childish/immoral or otherwise about how they assign value, that doesn't have any bearing on how I see things.
Regardless, this analogy is not appropriate to the value you place on time in a race, unless you are racing for money and the payback on a 6hr+ time isn't great enough for you. The only reason to race is because you want to. You decide on the goal. There is no objective value in a 6hr 70.3 race time, or any faster time, unless you're a pro. The fact you've selected a time way above your ability and are being extremely dismissive of performances you cannot achieve yourself come across as very naive and childish IMO. In addition your language in the thread has been quite macho and hyperbolic which I find makes it very hard to take you seriously. It comes across as either insincere or foolish. I reckon this is why you are getting the responses you are, and I think they're justified..

If you beat 6hrs will you then say any improvement that doesn't beat 5hrs is similarly worthless? This is an unrealistic approach to racing (and life).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

......It’s a lifetime love my man. I wouldn’t think of not doing a half Ironman and calling it a waste of time if I did it in 6 hrs. Hell, now I do half Ironman races just to get a race in before Ironman and I do the entire half at IM pace and just enjoy it. Time doesn’t even matter to me, I just want to know how I feel at the finish line as a guide for the upcoming full IM.

I'm guessing these clients already have plenty money and it's about prioritisation of resources. It's also business. Plus I don't care what they think. If they're irrational/dishonest/childish/immoral or otherwise about how they assign value, that doesn't have any bearing on how I see things.
Regardless, this analogy is not appropriate to the value you place on time in a race, unless you are racing for money and the payback on a 6hr+ time isn't great enough for you. The only reason to race is because you want to. You decide on the goal. There is no objective value in a 6hr 70.3 race time, or any faster time, unless you're a pro. The fact you've selected a time way above your ability and are being extremely dismissive of performances you cannot achieve yourself come across as very naive and childish IMO. In addition your language in the thread has been quite macho and hyperbolic which I find makes it very hard to take you seriously. It comes across as either insincere or foolish. I reckon this is why you are getting the responses you are, and I think they're justified..

If you beat 6hrs will you then say any improvement that doesn't beat 5hrs is similarly worthless? This is an unrealistic approach to racing (and life).

Perfectly said.

Unless- I need new goals.

Become a billionaire in 5 years

Retire with a harem of women waving bay leaves on me as I sit by the pool with a butler to fetch me drinks.

Qualify for IM Hawaii and win it, as an amateur.

There. I did it. Now I can train harder because anything less than this is pointless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

It is interesting that you swing between agreeing with me and back to your way or the high way. If there was absolute answers, we wouldn't need to gather other people's view and test them.

I say again. It is irrelevant what you value to me and I to you. I understand what you are saying but you won't just accept that for me... A 6 won't make me happy and I'm not going to do something that doesn't make me happy.

Value is not money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
....It is interesting that you swing between agreeing with me and back to your way or the high way....
What does this mean? Are you suggesting there's something strange about me agreeing with some things you say while disagreeing with others? I'm neither with you nor against you. I'm engaging in a conversation and considering each point on it's merits. Are you trying to dumb it down to good guys and bad guys or something?

Bonmaklad wrote:
....If there was absolute answers, we wouldn't need to gather other people's view and test them.
You've lost me again. There are absolute answers to some things and not to others, but I don't now what you're trying to get at here.

Bonmaklad wrote:
....I say again. It is irrelevant what you value to me and I to you. I understand what you are saying but you won't just accept that for me... A 6 won't make me happy and I'm not going to do something that doesn't make me happy.
Like I said previously, there is no objective value in any specific time. I think we agree on that. But you are arbitrarily choosing 6hrs as the time you must beat or it's worthless. I'm specifically criticising this decision, and it is a decision. You select your goal. You can be happy with >6hrs if you wish. It's your choice. If you think it's not, then I doubt there's any time that will make you happy. While a specific time may be a nice notional target, and I've had them myself, the fact is they fail to take too much into account. But even if we were to agree time was a good enough way to determine ability, dismissing a standard already way above you is a recipe for disillusionment and failure, plus it's insulting to many who are already better at this than you.

Bonmaklad wrote:
....Value is not money.
I think that was my point! See my previous post regarding your investment analogy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
jharris wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

It is interesting that you swing between agreeing with me and back to your way or the high way. If there was absolute answers, we wouldn't need to gather other people's view and test them.

I say again. It is irrelevant what you value to me and I to you. I understand what you are saying but you won't just accept that for me... A 6 won't make me happy and I'm not going to do something that doesn't make me happy.

Value is not money.

Perhaps...maybe...triathlon isn’t for you.

Then again, you can approach this sport however you choose .

Just remember, you get out triathlon only what you put into it.

When you finally achieve your goal ( I think you will), you might find it to be an empty victory, of sorts.

Best of luck. May the injury bug NOT find you!

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets be honest you managed less than a week of vlogging before packing it in, you haven't got the determination to do this nor the athletic background. You throw anecdotes and phrases like they mean anything. They don't.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
7 hours last week
8 hours this week.

It won't be the effort I've put in.

Oh boy...

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jharris wrote:

Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I try and do this almost every long ride. Find a beautiful view, stop for a few minutes, have a chat/coffee/snack for 15 minutes. It's not going to take anything out of my training if the ride is 4+ hrs long, and man biking has brought me to some beautiful places!
The same on runs over 15kms, although there the stops are usually a much shorter.

The triathlon journey for me has been a 3 year process till I got to my first HIM this year. And while I'm looking forward to the races, it's the training and friends that I made along the way that I enjoy most.
I'm here 50% just to be outside (this includes running in the Canadian winter), 30% stress relief from my day job as a trader, and 20% for results in a race. Getting fit just happened along the way. If I don't hit my target times, I'll at least be 80% happy :)

Completely understand that others have different priorities, and that is their prerogative. It allows me to enjoy the 360 days of the year that I'm training, as much as the 5 days a year that I'm racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [vijeet88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vijeet88 wrote:
jharris wrote:

Oh man, I couldn't agree with you more. I try and do this almost every long ride. Find a beautiful view, stop for a few minutes, have a chat/coffee/snack for 15 minutes. It's not going to take anything out of my training if the ride is 4+ hrs long, and man biking has brought me to some beautiful places!
The same on runs over 15kms, although there the stops are usually a much shorter.

The triathlon journey for me has been a 3 year process till I got to my first HIM this year. And while I'm looking forward to the races, it's the training and friends that I made along the way that I enjoy most.
I'm here 50% just to be outside (this includes running in the Canadian winter), 30% stress relief from my day job as a trader, and 20% for results in a race. Getting fit just happened along the way. If I don't hit my target times, I'll at least be 80% happy :)

Completely understand that others have different priorities, and that is their prerogative. It allows me to enjoy the 360 days of the year that I'm training, as much as the 5 days a year that I'm racing.

It makes me remember this joke:

The lion cub and his Dad or sitting on the cliff staring into the prairie of lionesses. The cub is excited and says- Dad, let’s run down and screw one of those lionesses! The Dad says, no son- let’s walk down and screw them all.

Kids- some just don’t learn what life is about or how to approach things with wisdom! Lol
Quote Reply

Prev Next