Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

There’s a definitive dissatisfaction in having silly goals. It’s almost like an intentional personal handicap just so you can have an excuse if you miss it.

You’re going to have more fun setting realistic goals.

Try for cutting 30min off first, not 2 hours.

No value in a 6 hour 70.3 for me. Might as well not do it.
You're either trolling or delusional.

You are likely the slowest person in this thread (which is allowed). You don't really seem to know much about what to prioritise or how to train (which is also permissible). The odd part is that you nevertheless think you're competent to estimate you're potential and talk like you're on the verge of contending for the podium. I think you need to stop dreaming quite so much and look at where you actually are. You are a good swimmer, possibly a poor cyclist (need to know the route and weather to judge fairly) and a mediocre runner. That sets you up for back of the pack now and probably middle of the pack without too much work.

It seems to me that while you say you're going to get to 5hrs or die trying, you seem to expect that to happen just because you said it. A keto diet will not make you fast, a chiropractor mentioning a weak muscle does not explain 7.5hrs in your last race, and saying you'll do it or die trying doesn't mean a damn thing. It's just words. Most people who actually have the mentality to put everything into it don't talk about it so much, they just do it! I agree with burnthesheep, your 5hr goal is silly and more likely to hold you back than be a motivator.

As of your last attempt you can't manage a 6hr 70.3. It sounds like you're not even close yet (although the course could be a big factor). And yet you're saying a 6hr 70.3 has no value. If you go out and do a 6hr 70.3 on a comparable course in the next year you should be delighted with it. Writing it off as too easy is ridiculous and childish at this stage. Perhaps you've spent too much time on the internet looking at what other people can do and not enough time training to see what you yourself can do?

The good news:
  • Your transition times are terrible. Either the course had massive transition zones or you sat down for a rest and a bite to eat. Either way, you can save a huge chunk of time there incredibly easily.
  • Your swim is good and that's often the hardest to improve.
  • Your bike time is terrible compared to your swim. If you're fit enough to do that swim you shouldn't be that slow on the bike, unless it was a REALLY hilly course (maybe it is - I cycled through Taupo years ago and it's far from flat). With sane pacing and a flatter course you should be able to go much faster.

My advice:
  • Decide what time you have available to train. No point saying you're going to become an elite triathlete if you don't have the time to even try.
  • Stop worrying about ketones.
  • Stop setting fanciful goal times that bear no resemblance to your current ability.
  • Train, race, and keep getting fitter and faster. Your performances will tell you what you are capable of now and your progression will guide your expectations REALISTICALLY.

You might be able to get to a <5hr 70.3 in the next year or two. You might not.
Your chances are far, far better if you pick more incremental goals and you might actually enjoy triathlon that way, rather than seeing it as a distant all or nothing challenge which you may soon discover is a fantasy.

Just the level of criticism I need to keep the fire fuelled. I thrive on being told it's impossible.

Many people here have given good advice. It's clearly a consistency thing for cycling as oppose to the muscular endurance for running.

With information (which I asked for) I am able to change my plan to match. I.e I have swapped some things around for 6 hours of "basic" cycling a week. I will do a 90km time after this cycle of training.

You are fat and slow, but at least your thread title is accurate.

Is this too much criticism? Or did I nail it?
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you could skip this "Half Ironman" thing and go for the big prize of nailing a full Ironman - You can do those on willpower alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [rides4beer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rides4beer wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
The miles are 50km a week run. Yup, I've done 21-28km this week, I can build up to that.

8 plus hours on bike. No. I just don't have that sort of time. What specific bit is that time doing? Any hacks?

There are no hacks, bike more, run more, that's it. Saddle time and time on your feet, those are the only ways to build your bike/run endurance.

there must be a pill he can take /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why shoot for sub 5? I think you could go sub 4:45 or sub 4:30 if you train 25 hours per week.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [wetswimmer99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did bonmak go to hbhs? 1.20 for 45 kms on bike and 20 mins for 5km make no sense in the context of the other times given. You should be waaay faster than what you say you are if you can do those times.
Last edited by: fulla: Apr 19, 19 19:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a dead business consultant with no time for my widow/kids.

But I will die trying.

There fixed it for you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You actually need to post your name and links to your last race.

It wouldn’t hurt for a link to your Strava or Garmin file so you can be tracked.

But I’m guessing what will really happy is we will never hear from you again as the race gets closer.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:

It wouldn’t hurt for a link to your Strava or Garmin file so you can be tracked.

But I’m guessing what will really happy is we will never hear from you again as the race gets closer.

He did from the Taupo race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Pwraddr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just checked his finisherpix. He’s not even worth a response until he drops 100lbs. Get real with your diet and perhaps you could manage a 6 hour 70.3 in this lifetime. From the looks of your pictures you weigh at least 250 to 275lbs. You won’t get faster until you fix your body composition. I’d start there. Start tracking calories on My Fitness Pal App. Maybe in 12 months you will be around a 6 hour 70.3. I’m not trying to be a dick, but give you a dose of reality. Set your goal but perhaps set benchmarks. Eating healthy and losing weight should be goal #1. You can train all you want but if you’re crushing pizza, ice cream, cakes and pies every night then you’re going nowhere fast.

Pwraddr wrote:
PJC wrote:

He did from the Taupo race.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, my take on this thread is that it's the worst of all sides of ST. Firstly there's some pretty unrealistic expectation / self confidence. But then some unnecessarily snide and nonconstructive responses.

Some observations by someone who has dropped 30kg, has gone from 6hour+ halves to 4:42 including going from a 2:48run to a 1:41.
1) The T1 at Taupo is massive for everyone due to the distance between the sim exit and transition, including the staircase.
2) The bike is slow, no flat on the course, couple of climbs, but all false flat up and down, crappy/slow surface and normally a wind that increases meaning no help on the way out and then a headwind on the way back that's worse for the slower riders compared to the quicks.
3) Heat can also be a killer on the run for 'bigger' units. Again disproportionately so.

Ok. So I lost my weight very very quickly, even to the point that I ended up with a load of medical tests to rule out anything sinister. And with that weight loss came the increase in my run speed. So to be honest, then I can demonstrate that it is entirely possible to do what the OP is looking to do. However, the big difference was that I was doing this from a long term history of being a very strong cyclist. And it's all about the bike. So I was able to knock out a 2:20 bike @ 265w whilst just turning the legs over in 'warmup' mode. Hence could then run an all time half marathon PB on a course that had 6km of offroad and 2 sets of stair climbs.

So how could you meet your goals. Simple you dedicate yourself to the task. You get a good coach, and you work, then train, then eat, then sleep for the next 6 months until raceday. The only other option is to train, work eat and sleep to raceday. You cut out the crap, you train 20 hours a week on top of your work, and you don't eat any biscuits, don't take a cake slice with your lunch, don't drink cans of coke, etc. You instead eat good quality fresh foods, be that from salad bars or prepared at home. But when at work or travelling with work you stick to your plan. Indeed, you need to plan work around your training routine.

And you need to join a road cycling club, and do long saturday rides every week with them from now until august / september. You need that group around you to keep you challenged, and to push you each week. But your coach is likely to advise in detail how to ride this, but that regular 3-4 hour long ride without a stack of energy drink to fuel you will do you the world of good. Just need to get that right balance of being in calorie deficit, but not bonking to the point that you can't work.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Part of what you’re leaving out is the OP asking for lots of shortcuts. That doesn’t sound like somebody willing to put in the appropriate work to cut 2 hours off ones time.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As well as the OP is smack talking. 6 hour 70.3 isn’t even worth it? The guy finished almost dead last at his last race. He should show some respect for 6 hours when he’s not even close to that himself. It’s hard to respect someone like that or take them seriously.

mickison wrote:
Part of what you’re leaving out is the OP asking for lots of shortcuts. That doesn’t sound like somebody willing to put in the appropriate work to cut 2 hours off ones time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
But I will do this. Or die trying.

Yikes! Make sure you have life insurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep theres going to be stiff competition, and 4:10 sounds about right.

If, if, you can make 5hrs, the March 2020 70.3 (same day as IM) might offer slightly better odds, but to be honest you're probably better off going to a Euro or an East Coast US 70.3 where the roll downs will go deeper.

Oh, and get a coach. I doubt Dan is available, but Sweat7 or MrSmith coaching might be accepting new people.

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
given the info presented heretofore. And, given it's specific to this year.

The thread title sums it up correctly

Long term goals generally require that one enjoy the journey. Because, achieving a goal IS satisfying, but not as great as it's cracked up to be. So the journey should be enjoyable. Otherwise the journey won't last.

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
given the info presented heretofore. And, given it's specific to this year.

The thread title sums it up correctly

Long term goals generally require that one enjoy the journey. Because, achieving a goal IS satisfying, but not as great as it's cracked up to be. So the journey should be enjoyable. Otherwise the journey won't last.

I generally agree. There are some one and done IM athletes who hate the journey but just want that tattoo. But that’s not so much a long term goal. I also have triathlete friends who really don’t like training but love that race day high that they keep doing them. That seems weird to me. If I didn’t at least mostly enjoy training I would stop doing triathlons. And then I have friends who refuse to do any triathlons even mildly hilly. It’s fine. Whatever we they enjoy. It’s just so different from how I approach things.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
Luckily for you, there is a 70.3 in Cairns in early June that would still qualify for worlds in NZ. You could train for Taupo and race it to see where you’re at. Then adjust workouts etc for an additional 5+ months of training to try at Cairns.

That is a very good point. I think if I stay motivated and my body can handle it and I come top 10-15? I think that's a great holiday to go for in June!! Thank you
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
You indicated that your heart health might not be optimal. If I was in your situation my first stop would be a consultation with my cardiologist indicating my proposed fitness plan. Triathlon is a sporting activity, it’s not life or death. If you really view it that way I’d also recommend a consultation with a psychologist as well.

In terms of going sub 5 hours in 70.3, you’re at 7.5 hours now. That’s 2.5 hours and 1 second minimum you have to reduce. I’d look for easy time like transitions first. Second focus on bike and run. Your bike and run both need to come way down. What is your height and weight. That would give an idea of how out of shape you are and how much weight you need to drop to optimize performance. Getting your weight dialed in will also reduce the work load on your heart and other organs.

I agree re weight. I'm 5ft 10.. 178cm. I am now 84kg :-( 8kg to go. I'm loosing this up front tbh. A lot easier.

Admit... Taupo transition, I was walking and then helped some people with their sunlotion. Was a fabulous day
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
PJC wrote:
A sub 5hr at a home town qualifying race in that town won’t get you qualified unless you are over 65.

For example when the 703 was on the Sunshine Coast Australia you needed to do sub 435 in the men’s 40-44.

Not being an arse but you won’t qualify for the worlds in Taupo.

This. The competition for worlds slots in that area is going to be fierce. If you want one at the age of 32 you need to be looking at times around 4:10 or better.

I can't do that :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I read your post it made me think of buying a lottery ticket.

Is it possible you win the lottery? Yes...
Is it likely? Absolutely not.

Bottom line - train for it like it is possible, report back on what you managed to achieve. Maybe you are blessed with amazing genetic potential (and amazing durability) and you will show us what is possible...
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:

Bottom line - train for it like it is possible, report back on what you managed to achieve. Maybe you are blessed with amazing genetic potential (and amazing durability) and you will show us what is possible...

See, this is what I disagree with. Sub 5 hours is possible for most 30-35 year olds if they are dedicated enough with training. 4:10, less so, there is some natural advantage / disadvantage that will come to play there. So the issue here is if Michael wants to put the effort in to do the training required. And also to invest in the support needed to be able to do that training - coach, physio and massage.

Will he do it if he spends the next 3 months buying carbon tat and training gadgets whilst doing 4 hours a week? No. Is there anything in the posts on this thread to suggest that the commitment to do that training will happen. No, not at all.

But to claim it's a ridiculous target is false. It's not that crazy, the only slightly interesting thing is if he can self motivate to do it. I'd guess that in reality there will be a few posts of crash training, then some injury and then abandon race due to the injury, as opposed to the truth, that he didn't do the hard yards in conditioning now to provide the platform for the training in 3 months time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my mind, going from 7 hrs to 5 hrs in 3 months is optimistic.

FWIW, I am a 4h 30min HIM in the 40 - 44 AG. I have lived though my experience moving slowly up the performance curve.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ejd_mil wrote:

Isn't he aiming for 70.3 Taupo in December? So 7 months away?
3 months of dedicated base training, 4 months build
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
ejd_mil wrote:

See, this is what I disagree with. Sub 5 hours is possible for most 30-35 year olds if they are dedicated enough with training. 4:10, less so, there is some natural advantage / disadvantage that will come to play there. So the issue here is if Michael wants to put the effort in to do the training required. And also to invest in the support needed to be able to do that training - coach, physio and massage.

Will he do it if he spends the next 3 months buying carbon tat and training gadgets whilst doing 4 hours a week? No. Is there anything in the posts on this thread to suggest that the commitment to do that training will happen. No, not at all.

But to claim it's a ridiculous target is false. It's not that crazy, the only slightly interesting thing is if he can self motivate to do it. I'd guess that in reality there will be a few posts of crash training, then some injury and then abandon race due to the injury, as opposed to the truth, that he didn't do the hard yards in conditioning now to provide the platform for the training in 3 months time.

Thank you Duncan. I do not mind them presuming and not asking questions. It's more fun. You're comment is well constructed and I should be on a laptop to answer it correctly.

The heat in Taupo was crazy. I had burns so bad on my back, I was peeling for three weeks haha.

Goal was to finish. I finished. I was very happy and as someone who was 96kg and raced at 74kg. It's strange to be told I was still fat? Hmm Should I be below 70kg??? Gee whizz. No thanks. Surely low 70s is fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
ejd_mil wrote:

Isn't he aiming for 70.3 Taupo in December? So 7 months away?
3 months of dedicated base training, 4 months build

High level. I'm losing 8 more pkg going through the next 10 weeks and that leaves me 6 months.

I know there is going to be a trick to cycling. There always is
Quote Reply

Prev Next