Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
Definitely don't need sub 2:30 to go sub 5. I didn't go sub 2:30 for my first few and have never gone close to a 5:00. Just gotta improve the run. Swim is where it needs to be.

27 swim
2.40 ride
1.40 run
:10 for transition
4:57.

Those splits are not out of the realms of possibility.

I feel like the run and swim and transition "could" be possible for me. But that ride looks mean (while giving me my run)
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [bretzky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bretzky wrote:
Love this! Go HAM! PR or ER baby.

Basically. I have life insurance all set up in place.

I will collapse trying or I will smash my pb.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Bonmaklad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Troll much?

There’s a definitive dissatisfaction in having silly goals. It’s almost like an intentional personal handicap just so you can have an excuse if you miss it.

You’re going to have more fun setting realistic goals.

Try for cutting 30min off first, not 2 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
boilerup wrote:
Just gotta say... very first post ever for you, same day you sign up, and it seems way fishy so most people are going to assume you are trolling....

Read so much valuable info here. However, most people its about losing 30mins. Not an hour plus.

Your all good or u have trained well. I am a office worker who drives everywhere. I a an ex swimmer and I only started running three years ago (more like 2)

There are basic things that you all might know and I'm just missing.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Conky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Conky wrote:
So I had a goal of sub-5 hours for my first 70.3. I went 5:00:13... and was 25 mins outside qualifying for worlds. (I also trained 10+ hours a week and had ran 2000 miles a year for years before this.) If you want to ride sub-2:30, which you need to to go sub-5, you need to bike 8-10 hours a week for the next 8 months. If you want to drop 30+ mins in your half marathon, you need to run 30-40 miles per week for the next 8 months. Plus swim, plus stretch, plus lift, plus core, plus 8+ hrs sleep. Do you have that kind of time? I don't think people understand the time commitment you need to be good. Good luck with this though, just don't get disappointed when it doesn't happen.

The miles are 50km a week run. Yup, I've done 21-28km this week, I can build up to that.

8 plus hours on bike. No. I just don't have that sort of time. What specific bit is that time doing? Any hacks?
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Ahhh ok, good two helpful points of info (especially the heart thing!), but one question remains: did you get a bike fit? if you want sub-5, you need a good bike fit to balance aero & comfort.

5k pb is great, seems you are like I was when I first started, 20 minutes of speed, anything beyond that, death. But to get faster at longer distances as someone said earlier, you need more miles. You also need more hours on the bike. Best hope is to use part or all of your commute to fill in the blanks.

Lastly, spend time practicing transitions, you don't want to end up with a 5:00:20 with a 5 minute T1. It is valuable time. IMO, flying mounts are not valuable in a 70.3 (you'll definitely hear otherwise from others) as you want to ensure you have a tight shoe for good power transfer but a flying dismount is absolutely necessary.

I do hope you stay and enjoy all that ST has to offer and update this thread on December 7th with a race report.

No... I should get a proper bike fit. My mat helps me online. But he even says get it done right.

Yeah, I can blank out and just run for around 5k. I'm trying to get past 10km and I just can't. I get to 8km and if it's faster than 5min k.. I just psychologically bitch out. I need to work on this through the winter.

My commute is by plane :-( but yes. I am hearing you all. More time on bike. I just need to do that without cutting into my sleep. While training, I can't go below 8 hours sleep (normally 5 is good)

Oh I will. Last year 70.3 was a joke. But when I say I'm going to do something.. I do it. This year I'm serious. I need to manage my time, work less and find my way there. I love triathlon, but I'm not going to do 70.3 forever, I just want to prove I can compete with people and then I'll chill out and do shorter lol
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

There’s a definitive dissatisfaction in having silly goals. It’s almost like an intentional personal handicap just so you can have an excuse if you miss it.

No value in a 6 hour 70.3 for me. Might as well not do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sub 5hr at a home town qualifying race in that town won’t get you qualified unless you are over 65.

For example when the 703 was on the Sunshine Coast Australia you needed to do sub 435 in the men’s 40-44.

Not being an arse but you won’t qualify for the worlds in Taupo.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's doable. More likely to end up as 5:15 - 5:30 but that's still good.

Sort out your diet though. No point buggering around with ketones if your body really needs carbs. 70.3 is a fairly fast race so you're not just plodding along in a fat burning zone all day.

Sort your bike fitness out and a lot of that fitness will carry over to the run as well. Have a look at TrainerRoad. In 5 hours a week that will turn you into a pretty quick rider. A lot of people just do endless, unfocussed riding and wonder why they are still crap. Train properly and you'll get much much faster. You'll then get off the bike still in good shape for a 1:40 run.

You should be able to do this with 8-10 hours per week. Just learn to love getting up early and lunchtime runs. Don't forget to keep the family on side though and make sure you don't abandon them to "Dad's silly hobby".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

You're either trolling or delusional.

You are likely the slowest person in this thread (which is allowed). You don't really seem to know much about what to prioritise or how to train (which is also permissible). The odd part is that you nevertheless think you're competent to estimate you're potential and talk like you're on the verge of contending for the podium. I think you need to stop dreaming quite so much and look at where you actually are. You are a good swimmer, possibly a poor cyclist (need to know the route and weather to judge fairly) and a mediocre runner. That sets you up for back of the pack now and probably middle of the pack without too much work.

It seems to me that while you say you're going to get to 5hrs or die trying, you seem to expect that to happen just because you said it. A keto diet will not make you fast, a chiropractor mentioning a weak muscle does not explain 7.5hrs in your last race, and saying you'll do it or die trying doesn't mean a damn thing. It's just words. Most people who actually have the mentality to put everything into it don't talk about it so much, they just do it! I agree with burnthesheep, your 5hr goal is silly and more likely to hold you back than be a motivator.

As of your last attempt you can't manage a 6hr 70.3. It sounds like you're not even close yet (although the course could be a big factor). And yet you're saying a 6hr 70.3 has no value. If you go out and do a 6hr 70.3 on a comparable course in the next year you should be delighted with it. Writing it off as too easy is ridiculous and childish at this stage. Perhaps you've spent too much time on the internet looking at what other people can do and not enough time training to see what you yourself can do?

The good news:
  • Your transition times are terrible. Either the course had massive transition zones or you sat down for a rest and a bite to eat. Either way, you can save a huge chunk of time there incredibly easily.
  • Your swim is good and that's often the hardest to improve.
  • Your bike time is terrible compared to your swim. If you're fit enough to do that swim you shouldn't be that slow on the bike, unless it was a REALLY hilly course (maybe it is - I cycled through Taupo years ago and it's far from flat). With sane pacing and a flatter course you should be able to go much faster.

My advice:
  • Decide what time you have available to train. No point saying you're going to become an elite triathlete if you don't have the time to even try.
  • Stop worrying about ketones.
  • Stop setting fanciful goal times that bear no resemblance to your current ability.
  • Train, race, and keep getting fitter and faster. Your performances will tell you what you are capable of now and your progression will guide your expectations REALISTICALLY.

You might be able to get to a <5hr 70.3 in the next year or two. You might not.
Your chances are far, far better if you pick more incremental goals and you might actually enjoy triathlon that way, rather than seeing it as a distant all or nothing challenge which you may soon discover is a fantasy.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

You're either trolling or delusional.

You are likely the slowest person in this thread (which is allowed). You don't really seem to know much about what to prioritise or how to train (which is also permissible). The odd part is that you nevertheless think you're competent to estimate you're potential and talk like you're on the verge of contending for the podium. I think you need to stop dreaming quite so much and look at where you actually are. You are a good swimmer, possibly a poor cyclist (need to know the route and weather to judge fairly) and a mediocre runner. That sets you up for back of the pack now and probably middle of the pack without too much work.

It seems to me that while you say you're going to get to 5hrs or die trying, you seem to expect that to happen just because you said it. A keto diet will not make you fast, a chiropractor mentioning a weak muscle does not explain 7.5hrs in your last race, and saying you'll do it or die trying doesn't mean a damn thing. It's just words. Most people who actually have the mentality to put everything into it don't talk about it so much, they just do it! I agree with burnthesheep, your 5hr goal is silly and more likely to hold you back than be a motivator.

As of your last attempt you can't manage a 6hr 70.3. It sounds like you're not even close yet (although the course could be a big factor). And yet you're saying a 6hr 70.3 has no value. If you go out and do a 6hr 70.3 on a comparable course in the next year you should be delighted with it. Writing it off as too easy is ridiculous and childish at this stage. Perhaps you've spent too much time on the internet looking at what other people can do and not enough time training to see what you yourself can do?

The good news:
  • Your transition times are terrible. Either the course had massive transition zones or you sat down for a rest and a bite to eat. Either way, you can save a huge chunk of time there incredibly easily.
  • Your swim is good and that's often the hardest to improve.
  • Your bike time is terrible compared to your swim. If you're fit enough to do that swim you shouldn't be that slow on the bike, unless it was a REALLY hilly course (maybe it is - I cycled through Taupo years ago and it's far from flat). With sane pacing and a flatter course you should be able to go much faster.

My advice:
  • Decide what time you have available to train. No point saying you're going to become an elite triathlete if you don't have the time to even try.
  • Stop worrying about ketones.
  • Stop setting fanciful goal times that bear no resemblance to your current ability.
  • Train, race, and keep getting fitter and faster. Your performances will tell you what you are capable of now and your progression will guide your expectations REALISTICALLY.

You might be able to get to a <5hr 70.3 in the next year or two. You might not.
Your chances are far, far better if you pick more incremental goals and you might actually enjoy triathlon that way, rather than seeing it as a distant all or nothing challenge which you may soon discover is a fantasy.

Just the level of criticism I need to keep the fire fuelled. I thrive on being told it's impossible.

Many people here have given good advice. It's clearly a consistency thing for cycling as oppose to the muscular endurance for running.

With information (which I asked for) I am able to change my plan to match. I.e I have swapped some things around for 6 hours of "basic" cycling a week. I will do a 90km time after this cycle of training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
....I thrive on being told it's impossible...
Oh please. No-one said it was impossible ....and everything you say doesn't have to be macho cliched BS!

Bonmaklad wrote:
....It's clearly a consistency thing for cycling as oppose to the muscular endurance for running....
It's a consistency thing for both. In fact it's probably even more important for running .....and consistency is not opposed to endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
Oh please. No-one said it was impossible ....and everything you say doesn't have to be macho cliched BS!

Bonmaklad wrote:
....It's clearly a consistency thing for cycling as oppose to the muscular endurance for running....
It's a consistency thing for both. In fact it's probably even more important for running .....and consistency is not opposed to endurance.

I literally talk this way for a living. I'm not going to change because it's bike riding and not money making.

Talk to you peeps in ten weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
...I literally talk this way for a living...
Oh dear, that's a shame :(
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so you're saying it's "in the realm of possibility" for him to go from a 35 min swim (which isn't bad) to a 27 just because he says so? I've swam over 1,000,000 yards in the past 18 months to go from a 31 min to 28 min swim. Second, realistic transitions are more like 1:30+ each for 70.3's. Third, he's going to drop over an hour on his bike while riding 6 hrs easy a week (bonk or not, his first 45km in his last race took 1:45 which equals a 3:30 split without bonk)? And then run a PB of 1:40 in the half marathon after a 2:50 last year (fast walking pace). All in 8 months? Like previously stated, that's fantasy world. He could eventually go under 5 hours but it'll take a few years to get there. Hopefully he can enjoy the process of improving and not get discouraged.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:

Bonmaklad wrote:

I literally talk this way for a living. I'm not going to change because it's bike riding and not money making.

Talk to you peeps in ten weeks.

Please do. Whether this is trolling or delusion, it's entertaining either way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Luckily for you, there is a 70.3 in Cairns in early June that would still qualify for worlds in NZ. You could train for Taupo and race it to see where you’re at. Then adjust workouts etc for an additional 5+ months of training to try at Cairns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You indicated that your heart health might not be optimal. If I was in your situation my first stop would be a consultation with my cardiologist indicating my proposed fitness plan. Triathlon is a sporting activity, it’s not life or death. If you really view it that way I’d also recommend a consultation with a psychologist as well.

In terms of going sub 5 hours in 70.3, you’re at 7.5 hours now. That’s 2.5 hours and 1 second minimum you have to reduce. I’d look for easy time like transitions first. Second focus on bike and run. Your bike and run both need to come way down. What is your height and weight. That would give an idea of how out of shape you are and how much weight you need to drop to optimize performance. Getting your weight dialed in will also reduce the work load on your heart and other organs.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Apr 19, 19 6:19
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
A sub 5hr at a home town qualifying race in that town won’t get you qualified unless you are over 65.

For example when the 703 was on the Sunshine Coast Australia you needed to do sub 435 in the men’s 40-44.

Not being an arse but you won’t qualify for the worlds in Taupo.

This. The competition for worlds slots in that area is going to be fierce. If you want one at the age of 32 you need to be looking at times around 4:10 or better.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not quite Ashely Horner level but this thread is fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
Gashman wrote:
Bonmaklad wrote:
g_lev wrote:

Well 5hours is the aim. It's relative as well. Of the conditions are bad for everyone then that time can increase. Basically.... I want top 10 in my age group and preferably top 3. (I know I won't get it deep down. I just refuse to accept it and believe people should aim high)

As for drafting? I thought that was banned haha

You want top 10 in 30-34 AG, but wondering if you have time to train for it and your first 70.3 is 7+ hours.. Sounds like you're doing this for external motivation instead of it being intrinsic. If that is the case, good luck because that's a hard route to go to obtain a lofty goal. But hiring Plews could be a good start, he has the knowledge and experience to help you achieve your goal.
Quote Reply
Re: Ridiculous 70.3 Target [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Troll much?

Yep, gotta be trolling. His run PBs make no sense. That 5k pb is so out of line with everything else he has indicated. Either...

A. It's a total troll job.
B. He has zero endurance.
C. Stated PBs are years apart and are meaningless info.

Based on tone and all info provided, I'm assuming "A".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you hire Talbot or Ed Baker and start a youtube channel? This could be more entertaining than Ashley Horner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are pulling our "collective" leg.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bonmaklad wrote:
The miles are 50km a week run. Yup, I've done 21-28km this week, I can build up to that.

8 plus hours on bike. No. I just don't have that sort of time. What specific bit is that time doing? Any hacks?

There are no hacks, bike more, run more, that's it. Saddle time and time on your feet, those are the only ways to build your bike/run endurance.
Quote Reply

Prev Next