Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
There seems to be a group of people trying to do just that.

gee, i wonder what gear they'll use (since that's basically the number 1 thing that influences "speed" on a trainer)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I notice on the Tempe town website they have yet to post street closures and such like they did for the 70.3. Has everything truly made it through final approval related to the race?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With the way COVID cases and positivity rates are rising around Phoenix I donā€™t have much faith this race happens. Numbers are more than triple what they were when the 70.3 happened. In two weeks it will likely be 4-6x more. Could it slide in under the wire? Maybe but COVID is about to dominate the news cycle again and I think permits and such get extreme scrutiny.

The one AZ race three weeks ago and the two FL races this past weekend got lucky with timing. Thereā€™s almost zero chance the FL70.3 happens next month. FL numbers should be back to our summer peaks in another two or three weeks. Five weeks from now and itā€™s a shitshow.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
With the way COVID cases and positivity rates are rising around Phoenix I donā€™t have much faith this race happens. Numbers are more than triple what they were when the 70.3 happened. In two weeks it will likely be 4-6x more. Could it slide in under the wire? Maybe but COVID is about to dominate the news cycle again and I think permits and such get extreme scrutiny.

The one AZ race three weeks ago and the two FL races this past weekend got lucky with timing. Thereā€™s almost zero chance the FL70.3 happens next month. FL numbers should be back to our summer peaks in another two or three weeks. Five weeks from now and itā€™s a shitshow.

I don't want to be a jerk, but you've posted this exact same thing in several threads, and I'm looking for actual information from people that might have it.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From a local perspective I drove down Mill Avenue the other day and there was already restaurant closures in one of the high trafficked places in town. IMAZ 70.3 and IMAZ proper are likely the only events that will bring in economic impact the rest of 2020 for Tempe as there will likely be no fans at ASU home games and if there are fans the number will be like 10% of Sun Devil Stadium capacity.

With that said, restaurants and bars were of relative full capacity 50-75% depending on licensure. There is significant pressure to keep moving forward from both business owners and local citizens here. Additionally we're 6 weeks into the AIA Sports season, and it is not slowing down.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Nov 9, 20 7:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I don't want to be a jerk, but you've posted this exact same thing in several threads, and I'm looking for actual information from people that might have it.

My response is the likely reason as to how to answer your question. Maybe they havenā€™t approved anything yet because theyā€™re seeing how the data moves. You donā€™t want to approve a bunch of stuff just to pull it back a few days before the race.

Or maybe they were tied up with election crap.

šŸ¤·šŸ¼ā€ā™‚ļø

But youā€™re waiting for the Mayor of Tempe to respond so Iā€™ll check out. šŸ˜

Last edited by: The GMAN: Nov 9, 20 9:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with the RD the other day, they are full steam ahead.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

well, you've been right so many times in this thread/others, why stop now...?

the safest bet for any participant is to just plan on racing because the race is going to try and happen, for sure. but otherwise we are ALL just guessing.
Last edited by: jkhayc: Nov 9, 20 10:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

As they should and I hope itā€™s able to proceed as planned.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

More to the point I asked if the city were giving any indication it could still be canceled. She said no chance.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

More to the point I asked if the city were giving any indication it could still be canceled. She said no chance.

Cool, thanks. All my stuff was picked up by TBT today, so I guess at the very least my bike is going to Arizona.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You only *think* it's going to Arizona...Mwwwah hahaahaa!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

AZ just picked up a soccer tournament that was supposed to happen in Vegas so it seems local officials are giving green lights. And this is a pretty big tournament.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FYI, participants are now receiving their e-mails to sign up for their bike drop and registration time from Active.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
FYI, participants are now receiving their e-mails to sign up for their bike drop and registration time from Active.

Including those that have deferred to 2021!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

LOL! Cut them some slack, they are doing the best they can. :)

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm only seeing athlete check-in slots on Friday, up until 5 PM. But I don't even arrive in Phoenix until 6!

(Bike check-in on Saturday not a problem, obviously)

Hoping there will be some option for athlete check-in on Saturday?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
SwizBeats wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

LOL! Cut them some slack, they are doing the best they can. :)

I know, I know! But, I just couldn't resist!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MadPansy wrote:
I'm only seeing athlete check-in slots on Friday, up until 5 PM. But I don't even arrive in Phoenix until 6!

(Bike check-in on Saturday not a problem, obviously)

Hoping there will be some option for athlete check-in on Saturday?

They never offer Saturday athlete check in for 140.6 races. I would send them an email right away to see if they can make an exception
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know how I missed this. Thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the NextDoor forums...well that's what the IMAZ facebook group is acting like right now hints that the race just got cancelled by Tempe? The minutes for today's meeting aren't currently available and I didn't tune in.

Unless the politicians that run Tempe are closing down bars and gyms this makes no sense.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw that too, trying to get confirmation

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From the IMAZ Website.
In meetings leading up to the event, and following a successful IRONMAN 70.3 Arizona triathlon in October, the regional safety and health authorities were satisfied that IRONMANā€™s proposed health and safety measures were well designed, and that athletes, staff and the wider public would have been sufficiently protected from potential COVID-19 transmission. However, after further conversations today with city and health officials following a recent increase in cases across the Tempe region, we regret to share that the IRONMAN Arizona triathlon event scheduled for Nov. 22 cannot take place in 2020 and will now return on Nov. 21, 2021.
Last edited by: Flanders: Nov 12, 20 17:35
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Flanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read it, ew.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Just read it, ew.

Unpopular opinion: this is the correct decision.
Quote Reply

Prev Next