Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona [riverdaledad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
riverdaledad wrote:
Americans going to triathlons, Trump rallies, family gatherings, indoor restaurants, and amusement parks, and fraternity parties have led to a major spike in COVID. This statement isn’t an opinion. See below. Americans unwillingness to limit their pursuit of fun during a pandemic has caused us to have the highest number of deaths in world and postponed normalcy.

https://www.google.com/...us/%3foutputType=amp

I'm trying not to be too judgmental as everyone has their own comfort level. But I lean towards riverdaledad. I'm actually shocked at how so many people are back to "business as usual" during a pandemic when it's not going away anytime soon. But it's not just Americans. I follow a few folks on Instagram from Russia and Europe. Some athletes are full on racing big time Ironmans and halves and other races with lots of people, no social distancing and no masks from non-racers or racers pre/post race. Part of me is a little jealous to be that carefree and bold during these crazy times. But I still plan on being cautious, following guidelines, and not taking any unnecessary risks. I do wish everyone well who does race this year. I wish we knew if anyone has gotten sick from racing the bigger races this year. How risky is it? What race did you contract the virus from? Was it from the travel? All kinds of questions....

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
phoenixR34 wrote:
Plissken74 wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
Quote:

I leave out of this discussion non-US athletes: how do you manage athletes flowing in Tempe from US states where covid situation is not that good? do you have border checks in Arizona?

Nothing I'm aware of would stop me from getting on a plane from Wisconsin (where we have one of the highest rates in the country), landing this afternoon in Phoenix, and walking around on course tonight in Tempe.

Do you think IM organization is aware of this? do you think they will ignore it?

I mean, Phoenix has a fairly large airport where people fly in and out of everyday. Not to mention, a few dozen (if not hundred) massive tech companies that have people coming in from all over the place on a regular basis. A 70.3 or Ironman doesn't make a dent in the amount of out of state traffic that Phoenix gets. Plus travel from Mexico, people coming from CA (to use our restaurants) and more. And still, the Covid situation is holding steady.

Rolling 3 and 7 day average trend is worth a look...can be misleading with reporting but there is some creep over last 30 days.

https://www.worldometers.info/...navirus/usa/arizona/

would assume a lot of that is ASU/UA related.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [70Trigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread should move to the Lavender Room, and then a new thread can start about the actual race.

If you need to write a treatise on covid-era behavior, submit an op-Ed to your local paper. Spare us that want a distraction from all that
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Someone's a little cranky. I guess i hit a nerve there? (don't really want an answer lol)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
This thread should move to the Lavender Room, and then a new thread can start about the actual race.

If you need to write a treatise on covid-era behavior, submit an op-Ed to your local paper. Spare us that want a distraction from all that

100%. The one thing for certain about 2020 is that it has normalized unhealthy anxieties and neurotic behavior for a lot of people and thats very bad.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PBT_2009 wrote:
jchriss wrote:
I am hearing its going to be many laps of the half course.

where did you hear this?

There are issues with the Salt River Indian Community not granting a permit to ride into the reservation. Alternatives are being explored currently by the RD.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind all of the posts attempting to shame people for racing to just be deleted completely. However, they can be merged into a new thread in the Lavender room for them to make their criticisms while we focus on the logistics of this getting done.

Very happy for everyone who gets to race this weekend.

PBT_2009 wrote:
jchriss wrote:
I am hearing its going to be many laps of the half course.

where did you hear this?

A general assumption with the lack of a permit by SRPMC is probably doubling the laps on the 70.3 course. As Bryan has said they're exploring options, that's likely a last resort and depends on if Tempe, Scottsdale, or Phoenix give them more real estate.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 16, 20 16:26
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Rideon77] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rideon77 wrote:
riverdaledad wrote:
I actually do want to cancel Christmas. There are predictions that there will be a huge outbreak after Christmas due to families giving each other COVID. This pandemic is not going to get better until everyone (including you) get serious. Traveling to Arizona for a triathlon and flying to Aunt Ruby’s for Christmas is not taking this situation seriously. I want to race in 2021. I want my kid to go back to school. If our country keeps acting like you and our President, then we are never going to get out of this nightmare.

So you have an advance degree in virology? You're a epidemiologist? A medical provider, infectious disease doc? An internal med doc, or at least a proctologist? Assuming all those answers are no because of what you have said already your predictions are weak at best.

The deaths caused by this virus have been in people with 2 or more comorbidities and/or over the age of 65 have been 80%. Since we know this we should have protected this population. Instead we started by doing what you have advocated and spent $16 Trillion in tax money and loss to the economy.......not to mention racing. So we have tried it your way and it didn't work. The overall death rate in the US has been about 3-4% depending on who you believe. If I promised you a 96% chance of wining at Las Vegas you would go and bet your mortgage every day! So please take your fear and politics in the lavender room unless you actually have a cogent argument to offer.

I am just an earnest but middle-of-pack age grouper.
I am also a physician, have lead numerous clinical trials amid the COVID pandemic, led development of an investigational therapeutic for SARS-CoV-2 infection, married to an epidemiologist who leads a team that models and tracks the COVID-19 pandemic, and I personally know what it is like to have a loved one die alone in a hospital amid this pandemic—with family unable to be at the bedside. I hope this give me a little bit of credibility.

I agree there needs to be a balance between being able to live, and having a quality of life that makes living worthwhile.
And I agree with the concerns raised in this thread with regard to the pandemic. To be clear, this is an airborne virus, highly contagious, and the core principle is not how individually strong we are or able to withstand infection, but that we are all potential vectors for transmission of the virus, much of which can happen while asymptomatic, to vulnerable members of society. By any metric, this is a deadly virus—in about a year of this virus’s journey through the US, we may see about 400,000 deaths due to COVID-19–this is all with variable measures of social distancing.

We are all, even slow triathletes like myself, ambassadors to the sport.
Generally as athletes, we tend to be the physically stronger and healthier members of society—but that should not render us uncaring for the vulnerable members of society, such as the elderly, the sick, immunocompromised, obese, cancer survivors, the list goes on and on.

There are a TON of things we can do while responsibly social distancing, wearing masks, hand-washing, and able to practice reasonable hygiene. My family goes out shopping a lot, usually at our local brick-and-mortar establishments—wearing masks! (supporting the economy, albeit painful to my wallet). We eat out at restaurants frequently, at venues with socially distances outdoor seating. I still frequent my local bike shop—wearing a mask and distancing. I am sorry to say large events, even if outdoors, if unable to reasonably social distance, should wait until it can be done safety—again, most participants in the sport are likely to tolerate infection with only mild to moderate symptoms, but would be vectors for transmission to others in society, often occurring before becoming reasonably aware of being infected.

I understand the desire to move this to the lavender room.
But I can’t think of a more important general topic than how triathletes can be good stewards and ambassadors to the sport.
In my opinion, it is unfortunate for strong (and generally young) participants in a sport to act and be seen as being uncaring for vulnerable members of our society.
Last edited by: Jae K: Oct 16, 20 19:30
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow for some reason it got real quiet after ur post.....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What should we say? Cool story bro? Thanks for the wall of text taking this thread off topic? There is a race tomorrow. Unlike the normal 3k participants there will be 800 people toeing the line. Honestly, as a local and the way the course is set up I think 800 is perfect.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well.. after hearing from an expert, people got quiet about their opinions.

As for off topic, I think the thread is called IM AZ not 70.3. So one could interject that you are off topic. And the 1/2 has never had anywhere close to 3000 people

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you look at this thread it has been about both IMAZ and IMAZ 70.3. People got "quiet" because people went to sleep.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StroBro and Sbernardi,
Very sorry for the long post—It ended up being much longer than intended.
And for those who are racing, I wish them well and hoping for the best!
I am looking forward to racing again (or rather plodding again), but for me I will wait for next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sbernardi wrote:

As for off topic, I think the thread is called IM AZ not 70.3. So one could interject that you are off topic. And the 1/2 has never had anywhere close to 3000 people

Sorry, what do you want people to say? All I heard was someone that thinks other people shouldn’t do a triathlon with significant social distancing measures in place, but that it’s okay for them to shop indoors (with a mask!) and dine outdoors. Both of which are comparably risky to said triathlon.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jae K wrote:
StroBro and Sbernardi,
Very sorry for the long post—It ended up being much longer than intended.
And for those who are racing, I wish them well and hoping for the best!
I am looking forward to racing again (or rather plodding again), but for me I will wait for next year.

Given your significant expertise on the general topic of Covid, I am surprised you did not mention the significant long term effects that are seemingly becoming more and more prevalent, Ie, “brain fog”, myocarditis, shortness of breath, loss of sense of smell and or taste, loss of hearing... This is what most concerns me.
N of 1, I personally know of a very accomplished ultra runner who got the virus in a March with mild reaction, but has not been able to resume running as of September!
If possible, PM me with your thoughts (to not further hijack this thread)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:

Sorry, what do you want people to say? All I heard was someone that thinks other people shouldn’t do a triathlon with significant social distancing measures in place, but that it’s okay for them to shop indoors (with a mask!) and dine outdoors. Both of which are comparably risky to said triathlon.

False equivalence.
What is the quality of exposure, quantity and duration?
Social distance, hygiene, and masks are helpful in reducing infection but imperfect.
In IM events, several hundreds to thousands of people coalesce from having traveled nationally and internationally, encountering innumerable people in airplanes, hotels, functions, with a high intensivity of regional/national/international contacts over several days. If you are “rolling the dice” per se for each individual exposure, how many times is the dice being rolled, exponentially compounded by the number of athletes, volunteers, industry and hospitality participants? I am not just talking about the buzz-by on the bike from non-draft distances.
And all this occurring while COVID-19 infections are on the rise nationally and internationally, with a resurgence at a time when we need the pandemic controlled the most—before winter and flu season, when clinical diagnoses will be confounded, heath care stressed, and populations less able to distance.

You mock masks (not OK and irresponsible), or maybe just mocking me (funny, and OK)—standard “surgical-style” masks are only about 40% effective, but when both participants are wearing masks, protection is increased, and when distanced, protected even further. Why do you think we wear these “less effective” masks when performing surgical procedures?—it is primarily to prevent us, the operator, from spreading our germs to the patient—very good for that function, and less so for personal protection (which is the arena of N95 or higher, respirator masks). By wearing any type of mask or face covering, we are showing that we care for the well-being of people around us amid a pandemic. It is unfortunate N95 masks are not widely available—they are prioritized for health care settings. For personal use, we use KN-95 masks, which are not used in US health care and are widely available—not quite as good as N95, but generally more protective than standard masks and face coverings.

I’ll stop posting on this matter.
Take care. Wishing you all well.
Last edited by: Jae K: Oct 18, 20 10:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Slowtwitch corona bros: Follow the experts, race is not safe to proceed.

2. AZ experts approve the race is safe to proceed with approved measures.

3. Slowtwitch corona bros: No, not those experts.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I just got back from the race. Masks were required anywhere within the athlete village, transition, finish area, swim start. Bikes were separated the most I have ever seen at an IM event. It was really nice to be honest. People were respectful of spacing when lining up for the porta potties. Swim start had marks on the ground every 6 feet going back a huge distance to allow two rows of swimmers, all wearing masks right up until they started. Masks were given to every finisher. These masks were provided by Ironman, so you didn't have to loose one you may like. No on site awards or slot allocation, that will be done via the mail and e-mail. I just don't think you can poke too many holes in what they accomplished today assuming you are familiar with all the scientific work regarding outside transmission...although I am sure some of you who weren't there will try.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good report, thanks. Do you suspect they will be able to accomplish similar at the full with perhaps 1.5-2x the participants?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Good report, thanks. Do you suspect they will be able to accomplish similar at the full with perhaps 1.5-2x the participants?

I doubt they will even have 1.5X. So many people have differed already, no foreign racers from Europe or Australia can get here, so I don't think the field will be that much larger. But even at 1.5X they could pull it off, there were a lot of empty racks in Transition today with 950 people racing and distanced. The swim start was super efficient as well.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the write-up. Was hoping somebody would talk about the *race itself* after all the hand wringing in the build up.

Curious about the slot rolldown - doing by email seems terribly inefficient. Also agonizing for those hoping for a rolldown (thinking also in terms of a sustainable process because I imagine any races that do go off will look like this for a while). You would think they would do it via a Zoom call the day of or following day? Would be easy to coordinate.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [PedalNowNapL8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't head over to the race to watch, although I had teammates. But to be honest I didn't feel like roasting, although it was very nice this morning.

Apparently it was wetsuit legal this morning, although barely and by the time the last person got in maybe it wasn't. The course is still dealing with the tram construction although that should be done by the Full. Wondering if the run course will be any different for the full. I suspect this year's Full will be very hot. We're probably going to skip fall and go straight into winter.

I liked their layout for this with the swim start.

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [PedalNowNapL8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:
Appreciate the write-up. Was hoping somebody would talk about the *race itself* after all the hand wringing in the build up.

Curious about the slot rolldown - doing by email seems terribly inefficient. Also agonizing for those hoping for a rolldown (thinking also in terms of a sustainable process because I imagine any races that do go off will look like this for a while). You would think they would do it via a Zoom call the day of or following day? Would be easy to coordinate.

The RD said it may take a few weeks to square all the roll down and every age group. Not ideal but keep in mind since it’s recent acquisition, her staffing has been decimated. She says it’s like the old NA Sports days everyone doing a little if everything to make races happen.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And there were 627 finishers, so the 950 number in the participant list was too high relative to the actual field.

Team ZOOT
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 18, 20 16:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Granted I haven't done a bajillion IMs. But I've sat through the Awards ceremonies with friends after spectating a handful of times including and my own races. I honestly feel like losing your slot because you may not have been able to show up to the Award's ceremony is antiquated and quite analog. This could definitely all be confirmed electronically. It's not like 70.3s are throwing gourmet dinner banquets following a race, at least in the US.

Quote Reply

Prev Next