Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona [Boschery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boschery wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, I mean eventually there will be a race, I mean there has to be a first..

Eventually we will without a doubt have IM racing again. I just don’t think it will be until next spring/summer at the earliest in North America. I’d love to be wrong about that.

Honestly, there would a better chance of a race gaining approval right now. Numbers are at their likely low point for the rest of the year and much better than they will be 1.5 to 2.5 months from now when the TX/AZ/FL races are scheduled. Numbers are inevitably going to rise as schools and colleges/universities opened, and Labor Day weekend jackassery just finished. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clueless.

As much as people may want to discount it, the problems Baylor and ASU are having are going to cause problems for those four races. Add the stupidity of the Big12 going ahead with football season, and all the shenanigans that go with it, and I just can’t see how Waco 70.3 and IMTX happen the third weekend in October. 🤷‍♂️

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Last edited by: The GMAN: Sep 9, 20 8:50
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Baylor has much bigger problems than ASU. 807 positives at ASU in a student population of 74,500. Baylor has had 897 positives since August 1 in a student population of about 18,000.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far from reported data, there are zero hospitalizations of college students that have been reported as infected. I don't think we can really call either of those issues. Baylor actually put a lot of work into their mitigation plan.

Now, for IMAZ relevant items. I drove by along the 202, it appears the run path under the rail bridge is actually closed in addition to Rio Salado being closed as I reported last week. When I get some time I'll go over there and get a closer look.

When it comes to events, another domino has fallen. Phoenix Turkey Trot has now gone virtual. By comparison, I'd say that WACO and Florida will be the races that go off in the US for the rest of 2020. Based on how things are going we may only see one or two running races and only a few "small" tris in the Phoenix area.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
Boschery wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong, I mean eventually there will be a race, I mean there has to be a first..

Eventually we will without a doubt have IM racing again. I just don’t think it will be until next spring/summer at the earliest in North America. I’d love to be wrong about that.

Honestly, there would a better chance of a race gaining approval right now. Numbers are at their likely low point for the rest of the year and much better than they will be 1.5 to 2.5 months from now when the TX/AZ/FL races are scheduled. Numbers are inevitably going to rise as schools and colleges/universities opened, and Labor Day weekend jackassery just finished. Anyone that thinks otherwise is clueless.

As much as people may want to discount it, the problems Baylor and ASU are having are going to cause problems for those four races. Add the stupidity of the Big12 going ahead with football season, and all the shenanigans that go with it, and I just can’t see how Waco 70.3 and IMTX happen the third weekend in October. 🤷‍♂️

Just a point of clarification - there is an IM race that is going to be held in North America (Cozumel 70.3) in 2 weeks. I assume you meant in the United States or Canada?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [sdbanker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sdbanker wrote:
Just a point of clarification - there is an IM race that is going to be held in North America (Cozumel 70.3) in 2 weeks. I assume you meant in the United States or Canada?

Wasn't Galveston cancelled 3 days before the race?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was Lubbock and Puerto Rico canceled on super short notice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This, still shocks me how many people don't realize Mexico is in North America. Cozumel half and full will happen.

sdbanker wrote:
The GMAN wrote:
Boschery wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [CP78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m fully aware Mexico is in North America. 🙄

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
It was Lubbock and Puerto Rico canceled on super short notice.

Agreed that Cozumel could still be canceled on short notice. And that would be a real shitty thing to do since all participants need to make extensive travel arrangements to get there as you don’t just drive to the race for the weekend.

My guess is the 70.3 will happen and be used to measure the impact Of Covid on the locals vs tourism dollars returning to their economy. If it isn’t a super spread event then the full IM will also be a go in November.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I searched for and found this update on the Tempe town website. Given the info below and pairing that with AZ’s pretty low covid numbers at present, I’m going to start actually prepping for the race ... will know by the 29th, so not a big cost when/if it ultimately gets canceled.

My copy/paste misses the date, but it was 4-sep.

PURPOSE:
The purpose of this memo is to update Mayor and Council regarding the status of Ironman 70.3 and Ironman Arizona.
CITY COUNCIL STRATEGIC PRIORITY:
2.21 - Achieve ratings of “Very Satisfied” or “Satisfied” with the availability of information about City programs, events, services, and issues greater than or equal to the top 10% of the national benchmark cities as measured in the Community Survey.
OVERVIEW:
Staff is working with the Ironman organization to put together another safe, successful Ironman 70.3 triathlon to take place on Sunday, October 18, 2020. The route for this half-distance Ironman Arizona race is entirely in Tempe; nearly 1,100 athletes are registered to participate.
On Sunday, November 22, 2020, Ironman Arizona will occur in Tempe. Multiple government agencies are involved with the logistics of the event due to its size and scope. Approximately 2,700 athletes are registered to participate.
Due to COVID-19, the number of athletes that will participate in the two Ironman races is expected to be lower than the registered amount.
COVID-19 PLAN:
The Ironman organization has revised their safety plans in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Some of those revisions include:
• Athletes, only, allowed in designated athlete check-in area;
• All athletes and volunteers will be required to wear face coverings;
• Surfaces in areas of frequent interaction will be cleaned and disinfected regularly;
• Breaks will be scheduled during the athlete check-in process for cleaning and disinfection;
• Distance parameters will be defined with visual indicators such as tape, signage, or stanchions;
• Athlete check-in staff and volunteers will monitor the number of athletes in the registration area to ensure a safe
capacity is not exceeded;
• Hand sanitizer will be available at all check-in and aid station tables;
• Staff and volunteers will be monitored for signs of illness;
• Athlete check-in will have a dedicated entrance and exit to establish one-way flow of pedestrian traffic within the
area.
Shawn Wagner, Community Services Deputy Director, x5299 Linda Cano, Community Services Manager, x5260
September 4, 2020
Ironman 70.3 and Ironman Arizona Update

Ironman 70.3 and Ironman Arizona Update
CONDITIONS OF APPROVAL:
Each government agency involved with Ironman Arizona has given their approval for the race to occur. The Special Events Task Force Committee (SETFC) has reviewed the Ironman 70.3 and Ironman Arizona COVID-19 safety plans. On September 29, the SETFC will issue formal approval of the Ironman 70.3 race; formal approval for the Ironman Arizona race will be issued on October 27. Modifications will be made to the races should federal, state or city guidelines change for large-scale events

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Sep 12, 20 5:26
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reading that is kind of wild when I see every other type of race around here cancelling. But I guess it's time to start swimming.

ETA: I just looked that up, and printed the memo to PDF. I'm a bit surprised honestly.

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 12, 20 9:18
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice information. Can you provide the link to where you found it?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [sfdhoseman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pages 62-63

https://www.tempe.gov/home/showdocument?id=85187

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Reading that is kind of wild when I see every other type of race around here cancelling. But I guess it's time to start swimming.

ETA: I just looked that up, and printed the memo to PDF. I'm a bit surprised honestly.

Well, I’d say there’s ample time for it to be canceled yet. You can’t be surprised if the council or mayor override or something else goes wrong. Additionally, the 70.3 has a lower hurdle than the full because it is completely contained in Tempe. But in any case, it at least seems like they are attempting to have the race.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Last edited by: ericlambi: Sep 12, 20 11:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:

I hope this doesn't mean during the bike and run?

Quote | Reply
AZ currently has a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people (except for Trump rallies). How do they get around that?

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [gregtay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gregtay wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

I hope this doesn't mean during the bike and run?
Try wearing a mask during the swim!

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [AndrewPhx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndrewPhx wrote:
AZ currently has a ban on gatherings of more than 50 people (except for Trump rallies). How do they get around that?

I believe it was covered elsewhere they you can apply for an exception to the 50 person rule if you have a good plan on how you will manage the larger gathering and maintain distancing, etc. Or if it is anything like things here in Seattle you just call it a "protest" and then you can gather as many people as you want.

Quote | Reply
My son starts full time in person 2nd grade a week from Monday here in Scottsdale. IMAZ is still 2 months away. If we continue on the current COVID case and infection rate data we will be in great shape by then.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Eric, nice update. Hopefully, you guys and gals get to race both in October and November. đź‘Ťđź‘Ť

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fall sport AIA season begins on Wednesday September 30th with Football games and everything else. If fans are allowed at any point of High School Football season, I'd say we have a race. Phoenix Rising is operating with 16% capacity for fans going forward.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So far from reported data, there are zero hospitalizations of college students that have been reported as infected. I don't think we can really call either of those issues. Baylor actually put a lot of work into their mitigation plan.

Now, for IMAZ relevant items. I drove by along the 202, it appears the run path under the rail bridge is actually closed in addition to Rio Salado being closed as I reported last week. When I get some time I'll go over there and get a closer look.

When it comes to events, another domino has fallen. Phoenix Turkey Trot has now gone virtual. By comparison, I'd say that WACO and Florida will be the races that go off in the US for the rest of 2020. Based on how things are going we may only see one or two running races and only a few "small" tris in the Phoenix area.

you can pass freely under the bridge on all sections you would normally on the run, at least today you could.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [jkhayc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good. Now what about the road for the bike section of 70.3?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
That's good. Now what about the road for the bike section of 70.3?

You mean Rio Salado?

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, when I drove by on Monday and Tuesday of last week the roads were still closed.

Quote Reply

Prev Next