Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Volunteer sign-up

Is this normal to have this many open spots with many in critical areas? I honestly do not know the accuracy of data of this aspect of the race, but could be problematic if turn-out is high. Perhaps it will right size itself with the amount of race day participants.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Water temp 77 today. That sucks—nothing worse than wearing a wetsuit in 75 degree water. You are at a competitive disadvantage if you don’t
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying to bail from IMAZ 2020 because urgent travels broke my training cycle to hell. Plus I sense my wife is ready to execute veto power and don't let travel/stay in hotels during pandemic.

An earlier IM in September/October 2021 would suit my next year schedule better than a simple deferral to IMAZ 2021.

I just got an email from WTC telling to finish a free deferral by Oct, 18.

Now I have a choice:
1. I wait till IMAZ 2020 is cancelled and get a free deferral with many options
2. I wait and IMAZ is not cancelled. I lose the whole fee
3. I defer now and do IMAZ 2021 instead of something like IM Maryland or California.

I'm leaning towards 3 because it looks like it's not going to get cancelled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
To all the people that swore up and down this race would be cancelled while I said hang on...told you. :) Tempe Beach Park today.

sorry I am not from the US

you seem happy that locally Tempe is in a great shape for covid, which is good.

i think the race happens not because of people living around Tempe but the race lives upon athletes coming from all over the places.
I leave out of this discussion non-US athletes: how do you manage athletes flowing in Tempe from US states where covid situation is not that good? do you have border checks in Arizona?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are these other deferral dates coming form? I have sent IMAZ an email, but of course as gone unanswered....I see this on the website, (also they say that the 2021 race will offer spots to Kona 2021 ;), surprised, not surprised):

All deferral requests will be honored until October 8, 2020 regardless of the reason for deferral. The deferral may only be used once. Athletes who elect to defer their entries forfeit any partial refund, ability to transfer or insurance refund. To submit a deferral request. please contact arizona@ironman.com.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
I'm trying to bail from IMAZ 2020 because urgent travels broke my training cycle to hell. Plus I sense my wife is ready to execute veto power and don't let travel/stay in hotels during pandemic.

An earlier IM in September/October 2021 would suit my next year schedule better than a simple deferral to IMAZ 2021.

I just got an email from WTC telling to finish a free deferral by Oct, 18.

Now I have a choice:
1. I wait till IMAZ 2020 is cancelled and get a free deferral with many options
2. I wait and IMAZ is not cancelled. I lose the whole fee
3. I defer now and do IMAZ 2021 instead of something like IM Maryland or California.

I'm leaning towards 3 because it looks like it's not going to get cancelled.

That's definitely your best bet, At this point there's a 1% chance it gets cancelled.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
That's definitely your best bet, At this point there's a 1% chance it gets cancelled.

I'd take the over on 1%. But maybe I should consider making my travel arrangements. Seems like flights and hotels are all cancelable now anyway.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received an email from WTC this morning offering a deferral to IMAZ in 2021. I'm in Canada, and took the option for next year.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [SwizBeats] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SwizBeats wrote:
Where are these other deferral dates coming form? I have sent IMAZ an email, but of course as gone unanswered....I see this on the website, (also they say that the 2021 race will offer spots to Kona 2021 ;), surprised, not surprised):

Ironman communication is not great, I agree. The date I was talking about came from email sent to me today. I've requested a deferral about 2 weeks ago and today they say:

'If you would like to select to defer to 2021 IRONMAN Arizona now, please use the below link to select a deferral to 2021 IRONMAN Arizona. The deferral offer is only for 2021 IRONMAN Arizona. Deferrals to other events are not permitted. Your entry for 2020 IRONMAN Arizona will be cancelled and you will receive a link to register for 2021 IRONMAN Arizona when registration opens. If you have reached out in the last two weeks requesting a deferral, please use the below link to complete the process by Sunday 10/18 11:59 PM EST. We apologize for delay! Please complete all steps until you receive the confirmation page. Any links that are not fully completed will not be processed'

May be this new deadline is just for me. Or for those who requested a deferral on time and didn't receive any reply.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan

Have you heard any details pertaining to the bike course change due to the reservation lockdown?? If it's 6 loops of the half course...

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I leave out of this discussion non-US athletes: how do you manage athletes flowing in Tempe from US states where covid situation is not that good? do you have border checks in Arizona?

Nothing I'm aware of would stop me from getting on a plane from Wisconsin (where we have one of the highest rates in the country), landing this afternoon in Phoenix, and walking around on course tonight in Tempe.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chose 3 and it was a very smooth process. Originally was waiting for a cancel and then change to California, but as soon as it looked like it wasn't going to cancel I deferred. See you next year!!!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:
Bryan

Have you heard any details pertaining to the bike course change due to the reservation lockdown?? If it's 6 loops of the half course...

I just asked the RD, waiting to hear back.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sam Long just posted that IMAZ was cancelled.
I guess, will be AG only, right?
Or race was cancelled??
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG only from what I understand. But, the situation seems to be evolving...

Toro Performance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:
To all the people that swore up and down this race would be cancelled while I said hang on...told you. :) Tempe Beach Park today.

i think the race happens not because of people living around Tempe but the race lives upon athletes coming from all over the places.

Oooh how I wish we could have border checks state by state. The only places that could enforce are Alaska & Hawai'i but just due to the way Alaska swings on the color scale, they couldn't care less. Hawai'i has been issuing tickets and making arrests for tourists violating the self-quarantine guidelines but it is certainly not perfect, hotel staff can still pick it up and bring it back home and it only takes brazen carelessness to get caught.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [MTRIB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTRIB wrote:
Sam Long just posted that IMAZ was cancelled.
I guess, will be AG only, right?
Or race was cancelled??

At this point, appears this is only relevant to pros. AG race still on, pros moved to FL.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Plissken74 wrote:
Bryancd wrote:

There's only one state in the US that has border checkpoints that are manned by state law enforcement, and they're not State Trooper either. California has border checkpoints manned by the Department of Agriculture as California has significantly different laws on food apparently. These checkpoints have been in place at least as long as I have been alive.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Access denied....

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [jlentzke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlentzke wrote:
Bryan

They can call it Ironcrit. I actually wouldn't mind 6 laps. Looks like it will be a small field as there are a lot of deferrals, so wouldn't get too packed and it would mean they could get away with only one aid station on the bike course. Would also be good for spectator viewing, though they are probably not encouraging that.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so how long do we guess it'll be until we know what the deal is with the bike course?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
After the deferral cutoff :)

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine doing 6 loops of the 70.3 course! I think some of us have the biking skills to avoid bad riders, but the 70.3 course is the worst bike course there is and add in more riders and more loops its a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply

Prev Next