Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona [JakeLikesDonuts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JakeLikesDonuts wrote:

Just out of curiosity (as someone who doesn't live there) what is the general feeling there about business opening up/people gathering? I only ask because while 1) pools opening there helps folks there, but not the rest of the country that may be closed, and 2) a pool with limited access is a lot different than putting 2500 people in transition/swim start.

Awesome your pools are opening up though!

I know some people, a very, very few who are ready to head out to a restaurant or bar. The 95+% of people I know here in AZ are taking a wait and see approach or just saying no completely.

The problem with the IMAZ transition area is it's limited in space. You need to space out all the port o johns, you can't (at least not right now) have a queue of people for the swim start. That's a line 15000 feet long or 5000 yards which is just under 3 miles. You're only going to be able to put 3 maybe 4 bikes per rack instead of 6. You're going to need a lot more transition area.
The first loop on the bike is packed with people heading out the beeline. WTC is going to have to police like they've never policed before to keep people 6 feet apart. I mean can you see them actually doing that? That's going to be 100's of penalties. Wait I see a silver lining in the pandemic!

Now there is a large non US contingent of people that do that race and they may not be able to make the trip. Take out say 600 people and your logistics suddenly became a bit easier.

Logistically though on first glance I don't see how they can do it with 2500 people. I also don't understand why the S&P 500 isn't around or below it's 52 week low of 2100. \_O_/

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no, you're totally right. It's everyone else that I don't understand.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in AZ. I took my wife out to a restraunt on may 11 place was sold out had to have a reservation. Pool opened today so back to lap swimming. As far as AZ Ironman happening I’d say maybe, to probably, to who knows.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [MadPansy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It’s all personal opinions of course.
But I’ve registered as well, so have interest in it happening.

I think that if what we know now is all there is to know about rona, then no. There will be openings, another death wave and closings again.

But there is so much we don’t know about rona. May be something comes up and November will be safe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have heard from a very well connected Arizona triathlete, and she said that it will not be happening.... or that’s where she would place her bet

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If so, why hasn't she cancelled it?

ask77nl wrote:

I think that if what we know now is all there is to know about rona, then no. There will be openings, another death wave and closings again.

But there is so much we don’t know about rona. May be something comes up and November will be safe.

As more blood samples get tested, we're finding out this was here in the early winter and as early as the late fall. It is more than likely this virus was in Arizona before the last IMAZ race.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: May 15, 20 19:40
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She doesn’t have the power, well maybe she does. She is not the RD

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Sbernardi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on IM COZ in 2020. A lot will change in 6 months, but the future is an absolute unknown. November could be calm with a shit show in Dec... or not. Learning to love training without that goal race is Key for me right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As of today, IMAZ 70.3 appears to still be on the glide path based on the email that was just sent out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What does the email say?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMAZ is still on the Tempe list of scheduled events found on the permitting site for the city...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
When we began the 2020 racing season, the IRONMAN triathlon community along with our host city partners were excited for what was shaping up to be a great year of racing ahead with more events and event locations than ever before.
The world, however, has since endured drastic and unprecedented impacts from the global COVID-19 pandemic that has created many uncertainties with conditions and circumstances seemingly evolving daily. While the majority of the of the 2020 North American IRONMAN Series has been impacted, as of today, September 3, the 2020 Select Blinds IRONMAN 70.3 Arizona triathlon remains on the calendar as planned for October 18.

The health and well-being of our community is our primary concern and we have and will remain connected with our local health and public authorities as the race date nears to ensure we can put on a safe and positive race experience that you and our race communities expect and deserve. We are committed to conducting races in a way that reduces risk for athletes, volunteers, and host communities and will continue to utilize our Safe Return to Racing event guidelines, a series of comprehensive operating principles prepared in accordance with industry standards for open air mass participation sporting events. Our teams have been building race plans with the very best in the industry and will continue their work with respective stakeholders to follow guidelines and recommendations in a manner consistent with each of IRONMAN’s local community objectives and within the expectations set by public health entities around the world as they relate to the impacts of COVID-19.

The decision to proceed, modify or postpone an event will be based on availability of community resources and ongoing event-specific risk assessment in coordination with the relevant healthcare and government authorities and the IRONMAN Global Medical Advisory Board, an independent medical advisory board focused on health and safety at events, who is engaged with the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the World Health Organization (WHO), and other relevant institutions regarding risk assessment and mitigation. Should any event changes be necessary, they will be communicated as soon as possible.

We are committed to bringing you the best event experience and appreciate your patience and understanding during this highly dynamic time.

Thank you and we look forward to seeing you at the races once again

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very interesting.

Still keeping my expectations totally low, but this is a bit of good news.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:

Hehe, interesting to read my own opinions from May.
Now in September we DID learn something new about Rona. There WAS the second wave, but NO new closings. I guess people just really don't care much. I approve cosmic nihilism!

My current (updated) personal predictions: Rona death tax will become the new normal and IMAZ will happen.

However now I have a feeling my wife is going to execute veto power and don't let us use hotels/flights to actually go to Tempe.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
The decision to proceed, modify or postpone an event will be based on availability of community resources....

I think this is the most relevant information. As stated in another thread, 70.3 & 140.6 race take a huge number of volunteers. In many cases, these races require more volunteers than actual racers. I think the lack of volunteers is going to cause race cancellations that otherwise would go on.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cases have been steadily declining, so if they can keep this up, would not be surprised if that is a race. Though the number of cases in AZ were over 1,000 for the first time in 3 weeks yesterday, so let's hope this is not the 3rd wave.

Haven't heard any more about the bridge collapse, assuming this won't be an issue if the race can go ahead?

On the downside IM never seems to cancel their races until the permits are pulled, so it is possible that it's only a matter of time before this happens!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [42point2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What’s happening at ASU this semester? It would seem like that situation would inform the local decision making process.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ASU is running FTF classes and online. Most students were given the option. Covid data so far has not resulted in any change in plans for fall teaching.

The odds of IM Arizona happening are very low.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
What’s happening at ASU this semester? It would seem like that situation would inform the local decision making process.

https://www.azcentral.com/...covid-19/5713376002/

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really that relevant until it is. ASU is continuing to press forward with in person classes and thousands in the dorms.

What is relevant as far as the course is concerned, I drove by the bridge today and road is still closed. Supposeduly Union Pacific owes Tempe an environmental report but I'm not sure that's the case because trains have been running back on the bridge for several weeks. I think there is road damage that hasn't been worked on. But the amount of space that is closed off is interesting, but the lake path is open to run on and the lake is also open. So at a minimum there will need to be a course change for the bike right now. Also the construction on the local trolley route hasn't finished which goes along at least two miles of the bike course.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So far right now.

Tri-Family racing has approved permits for their races, but have a current participant cap of 50. 4 Peaks does not have an approved permit yet for Castle Creek Tri, but it is on the glide path, but I believe they're trying to have a higher participant cap for that race.

Where it gets interesting is as of today the 2020 Scottsdale Half Marathon and the 3TV Phoenix Half Marathon have now gone virtual. Why this matters, Scottsdale Half + 5k Usually runs around 1500 participants. 3TV Phoenix Half/10k/5k normally has 2200+ entries across all three race options. IMAZ and IMAZ 70.3 in the 2k-2500ish participants range.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks for this update. very interesting. i've always thought that tri would be easier to social distance than a running event, esp. at the start, but i'm sure many municipal officials will simply lump them together in their minds as a "race".

as a registered IMAZ athlete, i haven't given up totally. I know it's a long shot at this point, and not only do i hope the race can happen, i would only do it if I felt it was a safe environment for all...that being said, the fact that 3 IM-branded races happened this past weekend in europe was a big domino. some IM-branded race or races had to be the "first" to happen in the COVID era. allegedly tallin had something like 1500 participants? Is that true? Hopefully those races were successful in terms of being safe (not just for the race participants, but for those communities altogether) and maybe can be something to learn from in terms of developing/furthering a safe racing environment for all, which could extend to north america.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [PBT_2009] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I looked at the race results

70.3 Gdynia 1050 Registrants, 688 Finishers, a handful of DNFs and over 300 DNS

140.6 Tallinn 805 Registrants, 667 Finishers, a couple handfuls of DNFs, and 150ish DNS
70.3 Tallinn 688 Registrants, 520 Finishers, 1 DNF, 167 DNS

70.3 Les Sables 1538 Registrants, 1175 Finishers, Handful of DNFs, around 350 DNS

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Sep 8, 20 16:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apples and oranges.

Estonia: population 1.3 million - 2585 covid cases, 64 deaths
Arizona: population 7.3 million - 206,000 cases, 5,221 deaths

Estonia had a testing requirement for athletes coming from certain countries and some athletes were not allowed to race.

Andrew Inkpen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I seems like the same song and dance we got with St. George, everyone "really wanting it to happen", until it doesn't. I guess I just choose to be disappointed anymore.

Maybe I'm wrong, I mean eventually there will be a race, I mean there has to be a first..
Quote Reply

Prev Next