Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Granted I haven't done a bajillion IMs. But I've sat through the Awards ceremonies with friends after spectating a handful of times including and my own races. I honestly feel like losing your slot because you may not have been able to show up to the Award's ceremony is antiquated and quite analog. This could definitely all be confirmed electronically. It's not like 70.3s are throwing gourmet dinner banquets following a race, at least in the US.

You got that right. Being able to just go home and out of the heat was awesome. Also they were super keen to let you go backing Transition to get your shit and leave! LOL! Usually it's a no fly zone for hours.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Last edited by: Bryancd: Oct 18, 20 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the second master class that a expert professional in the medical field and a serious triathlete like all of us has exposed with facts, reasons, stats, etc. of why racing now is so unsafe and irresponsible, not only to us the triathletes but even more to our families and communities, but deaf ears or not comments it’s what I’m seeing from all the complainers.

I get it people, the need we have to race, push ourselves to the next level, but come on, this is ego and proud talking. There’s OTHER’S people live at risk whose bodies a weaker than yours.

(It reminds me the other thread about zwifters C racers complaining of A racers messing up their race dynamics with the “everybody deserve a medal argument”)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the write up. How was the aid station setup and ease of getting what you wanted?

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [PedalNowNapL8r] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:
Appreciate the write-up. Was hoping somebody would talk about the *race itself* after all the hand wringing in the build up.

Curious about the slot rolldown - doing by email seems terribly inefficient. Also agonizing for those hoping for a rolldown (thinking also in terms of a sustainable process because I imagine any races that do go off will look like this for a while). You would think they would do it via a Zoom call the day of or following day? Would be easy to coordinate.

Zoom seems easy, until someone doesn’t know how to use the mute button or can’t figure out how to unmute themselves to claim their slot.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:
This is the second master class that a expert professional in the medical field and a serious triathlete like all of us has exposed with facts, reasons, stats, etc. of why racing now is so unsafe and irresponsible, not only to us the triathletes but even more to our families and communities, but deaf ears or not comments it’s what I’m seeing from all the complainers.

I get it people, the need we have to race, push ourselves to the next level, but come on, this is ego and proud talking. There’s OTHER’S people live at risk whose bodies a weaker than yours.

(It reminds me the other thread about zwifters C racers complaining of A racers messing up their race dynamics with the “everybody deserve a medal argument”)

I think you are a complainer...especially if it fits your narrative...

So basically 700 people are not allowed to get together in a clearly cautious setting...with rules for engagement...So before I speak for you...what were your thought about any of the rioting that has occurred these past few months? Was there not Others lives at risk then? What facts could we expose there?
Last edited by: zooropa: Oct 18, 20 17:48
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [guillermoD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
guillermoD wrote:

The relevant medical, State, County and City experts in AZ said the race was safe to proceed, under safety protocols. Time for us to defer to the experts in charge, not random people who aren't in charge of making the official calls for the State, County and City. Stop forum shopping for experts that match your personal beliefs. The experts that make the calls should be respected. And if they decide to not hold the full IM next month, then we should respect that too.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol quite right!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Thanks for the write up. How was the aid station setup and ease of getting what you wanted?

So run aid stations were fully stoked with volunteers in masks standing back. It was up to the athlete to pick up what they want. The volunteers would yell out what was on their table. It was perfectly fine, a bit slower as it was incumbent on the racer to slow down and pick up their nutrition.

Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
Aid stations on the run were great. The order of “stuff” was the same at each. Always enough on the tables and easy to grab! Volunteers probably appreciated not getting splashed when cups were grabbed-as normally happens. The bike stations seemed the same, except the we’re doing hand-ups. I didn’t use those.
I can’t imagine riding that course 6 loops though. That’s a technical course for triathlon and the surface was a little rough in spots.
Overall Ironman did a great job with what they could control for safety precautions, I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I raced today, so I can share my observations about the aid stations.
Two aid stations on the bike course, so we had six opportunities to access them. I grabbed two water bottles. The first was completely closed, and I think the drinking nozzle thing might have been sealed. I ultimately just unscrewed the cap entirely. That had it's seal intact too but was easier to open. The second bottle I got, however, had been opened. So dunno what the rule was, but precautions were certainly taken. I admit it did prefer the second bottle. Breaking seals on the bike isn't easy. But I get why it might be necessary.
On the run, cups were set out and easy enough to grab. Saw there were whole, unopened bananas too. Some bars and gels. No cups with ice. Volunteers were all behind the tables and wearing masks.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [janski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on the idea that six loops on this course for the full would be a nightmare. Maybe two miles of each loop had smooth asphalt. I consider it a minor miracle that I didn’t get a flat.

I’m guilty of complaining about WTC a lot, but they did a great job setting up a safe event, and one that still had the essential components of racing.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangersBouncy wrote:
guillermoD wrote:

I'm sorry you misinterpreted my Open Zwift Letter as an "everybody deserves a medal argument". You couldn't be any more wrong. Perhaps if you re-read it you'll see the singular crux of my complaint is that cyclists are not following the rules. Zwift has set up a very clear very simple set of rules to determine an A/B/C/D race categorization system. Ignorant or rude/inconsiderate riders choosing not to follow these rules are ruining the race experience for others. And because following the rules is based on an honor system, it's unfortunately being abused. This has absolutely nothing to do with medals. Categorization protocols exist to create a fair and level playing field for good sportsmanship. This is why USA Cycling has categorization system, Ironman has Age Groups, etc. Categorization systems have nothing to do with "everybody getting a medal".

In the case of Ironman Arizona, the experts have rules and guidelines in place that the race organizers must and are following to safely host the event.

Without intelligent, proper structure and rules we have chaos.
Last edited by: BT_DreamChaser: Oct 18, 20 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangersBouncy wrote:
guillermoD wrote:

The relevant medical, State, County and City experts in AZ said the race was safe to proceed, under safety protocols. Time for us to defer to the experts in charge, not random people who aren't in charge of making the official calls for the State, County and City. Stop forum shopping for experts that match your personal beliefs.

this x10000

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Jae K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jae K wrote:
ericlambi wrote:
Sbernardi wrote:
Well.. after hearing from an expert, people got quiet about their opinions.

As for off topic, I think the thread is called IM AZ not 70.3. So one could interject that you are off topic. And the 1/2 has never had anywhere close to 3000 people

Sorry, what do you want people to say? All I heard was someone that thinks other people shouldn’t do a triathlon with significant social distancing measures in place, but that it’s okay for them to shop indoors (with a mask!) and dine outdoors. Both of which are comparably risky to said triathlon.

False equivalence.
What is the quality of exposure, quantity and duration?
Social distance, hygiene, and masks are helpful in reducing infection but imperfect.
In IM events, several hundreds to thousands of people coalesce from having traveled nationally and internationally, encountering innumerable people in airplanes, hotels, functions, with a high intensivity of regional/national/international contacts over several days. If you are “rolling the dice” per se for each individual exposure, how many times is the dice being rolled, exponentially compounded by the number of athletes, volunteers, industry and hospitality participants? I am not just talking about the buzz-by on the bike from non-draft distances.
And all this occurring while COVID-19 infections are on the rise nationally and internationally, with a resurgence at a time when we need the pandemic controlled the most—before winter and flu season, when clinical diagnoses will be confounded, heath care stressed, and populations less able to distance.

You mock masks (not OK and irresponsible), or maybe just mocking me (funny, and OK)—standard “surgical-style” masks are only about 40% effective, but when both participants are wearing masks, protection is increased, and when distanced, protected even further. Why do you think we wear these “less effective” masks when performing surgical procedures?—it is primarily to prevent us, the operator, from spreading our germs to the patient—very good for that function, and less so for personal protection (which is the arena of N95 or higher, respirator masks). By wearing any type of mask or face covering, we are showing that we care for the well-being of people around us amid a pandemic. It is unfortunate N95 masks are not widely available—they are prioritized for health care settings. For personal use, we use KN-95 masks, which are not used in US health care and are widely available—not quite as good as N95, but generally more protective than standard masks and face coverings.

I’ll stop posting on this matter.
Take care. Wishing you all well.

The part of your post in bold I completely agree with in terms of people traveling, gathering and exposure before the event, but that is not exclusive to Ironman events. Did you see NFL games with people in stands? Do you think all those people live next door to the stadium and slept in their own beds and ate in their own kitchen? What you said applies to all kind of business, cultural and other events going on around the world right now.

So I think your opposition is a generic discussion against events going on, which is fine, but don't pick on ironman for trying to run their biz if the local authorities deem it safe. Here where I live, Ironman would have no chance to run an event even though our numbers are better than Arizona
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good write up, but more importantly, Congrats on a huge AG win!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [Greatzaa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No mention of Jan Stepinski. Overall AG winner IM Santa Rosa; Overall AG winner IM Arizona; Overall winner IM Arizona 70.3. (beating out the lone pro) Beast!!! Article?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know the slot breakdown for the race?

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:
Appreciate the write-up. Was hoping somebody would talk about the *race itself* after all the hand wringing in the build up.

Curious about the slot rolldown - doing by email seems terribly inefficient. Also agonizing for those hoping for a rolldown (thinking also in terms of a sustainable process because I imagine any races that do go off will look like this for a while). You would think they would do it via a Zoom call the day of or following day? Would be easy to coordinate.

Zoom seems easy, until someone doesn’t know how to use the mute button or can’t figure out how to unmute themselves to claim their slot.

Hear you on that - although not too difficult to navigate by muting all (and then allowing individuals to unmute) and also allowing people to use the chat feature instead of voice if they prefer (or can’t figure out how to unmute).

You could also setup a simple online system where participants can proactively log their intent to take or decline their slot if offered. Then people can skip the Zoom meeting altogether if they choose. Race rep at the rolldown Zoom meeting then just refers to that system in addition to the live responses as they roll through the rolldown.

Not criticizing and appreciate the plane is being flown while it’s built, just pointing out that of all the logistical challenges that a COVID race has to tackle, the rolldown process seems like one of the simpler ones given the technology all of us are now using day to day to navigate the same. Frankly a manual offline email process seems like WAY more work.
Last edited by: PedalNowNapL8r: Oct 19, 20 4:45
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [rcmioga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rcmioga wrote:
Does anyone know the slot breakdown for the race?

There were 60 slots, no word on allocation yet.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thanks Bryan--congrats on your win!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryan,
janski made a comment earlier in the thread (post #260) about issues with one of the bottles he grabbed at an aid station still being sealed. Did you grab any bottles on the bike course? Were the bottles still sealed? I am planning on doing IM Florida and would like to plan accordingly. Screwing off the caps, taking off the seals, and then rescrewing the caps could be hazardous on the fly. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona [CJHess] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CJHess wrote:
Bryan,
janski made a comment earlier in the thread (post #260) about issues with one of the bottles he grabbed at an aid station still being sealed. Did you grab any bottles on the bike course? Were the bottles still sealed? I am planning on doing IM Florida and would like to plan accordingly. Screwing off the caps, taking off the seals, and then rescrewing the caps could be hazardous on the fly. Thanks

I did not, however I believe I read that they plan was to NOT have volunteers touch the bottles in that fashion. So I think they intended for you to stop and open it yourself. During the race, I'm sure some volunteers started opening them as people like complained, but I'm just guessing.

Team ZOOT
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:
CJHess wrote:
Bryan,

I did not, however I believe I read that they plan was to NOT have volunteers touch the bottles in that fashion. So I think they intended for you to stop and open it yourself. During the race, I'm sure some volunteers started opening them as people like complained, but I'm just guessing.

I think at any race we should all plan that we have to stop, get bottles, and open ourselves, or carry everything we need for the course from T1 if we don't want to stop. Like the rest of life, racing is different than it used to be. If we want to race, expect that there are different systems at play now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:
stevej wrote:
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:

Hear you on that - although not too difficult to navigate by muting all (and then allowing individuals to unmute) and also allowing people to use the chat feature instead of voice if they prefer (or can’t figure out how to unmute).

You could also setup a simple online system where participants can proactively log their intent to take or decline their slot if offered. Then people can skip the Zoom meeting altogether if they choose. Race rep at the rolldown Zoom meeting then just refers to that system in addition to the live responses as they roll through the rolldown.

Not criticizing and appreciate the plane is being flown while it’s built, just pointing out that of all the logistical challenges that a COVID race has to tackle, the rolldown process seems like one of the simpler ones given the technology all of us are now using day to day to navigate the same. Frankly a manual offline email process seems like WAY more work.

Seems like they could have a simple roll-down "opt-in" process at registration similar to something like the Boston registration. Opt-in, put in your credit card. If it qualify straight up or it rolls down to you, they charge your card and get a confirmation email or letter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:
stevej wrote:
PedalNowNapL8r wrote:

Fully agree. There's a way to automate this and I'm sure we will get there eventually. I think IM is operating with limited resources right now, so this is probably low on the priority list for them right now.

blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next