Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remco, Bennett, Carapaz

Aru, Hermans
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ulissi, vlasov, remco

would like to pick contrarian but these cats are killing it.
curious about dauphine now that theyre hitting the constant climbs all stage instead of the mega climbs to finish the stage.
how many dudes will even make it to the start of stage 5?
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredericknorton wrote:
how many dudes will even make it to the start of stage 5?

Yeah, everyone outside of Formolo looked gassed today. I realize the Yellowjackets are controlling things, but no one looked at all eager about attacking..just sprinting the final few hundred meters.

The TdF could turn into a real zombie march.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
trail wrote:
Ineos not looking good. Froome dropped on the penultimate climb, and Kwiat, van Baarle and Thomas dropped before doing any work on the final climb.

Haha....15 days of incremental marginal gains to start of TdF....that should put Ineos over Jumbo

Boy I am glad that was in pink.

I thought Thomas in particular looked horrible today. He doesn't look close to race weight and his breathing looked very labored for a guy who was dropping off the back to just cruise to the top so he can hit peak form in 4 weeks. What type of training hole do you have to be in so that all of your former Tour winners are either dropped or hanging on for dear life? Wouldn't these guys be trying to show up under-cooked rather than over-cooked?

The other interesting thing was Formolo's pedaling style. When I saw the first highlights of the last couple of kilometers, I figured he was just really dead from his breakaway. Then I watched the extended coverage and he looked just as bad 55k from the end. You can't argue with the result, but it sure it's anything like watching Nibali. I would go so far as to say that Formolo makes Froome's style look classy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Contrarian picks.

Schachmann, MdVP, Vlasov
Ciccone, Ulissi

I like it. But I’ve gotta shop at Remco.
Then, Woods, Mollema
Ulissi, Shachmann
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
I would go so far as to say that Formolo makes Froome's style look classy.

And to add to the effect, he was making more faces than anyone since Voeckler.

Helluva ride though!
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotta be Remco. Then Scachmann and Woods.

Carapaz and Almeida as WCs.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
re - formolo
there is a post from a guy who fitted formolo at garmin a few years ago
i figure the obvious question is - how do you fit a guy who does 400watts at 70 rpm for a 45 minute climb?
i had to adjust my posture just to watch that and my back still hurts.

i saw formolo in 2015 on stelvio (he didnt get selected for tour). he had jersey and shorts rolled for (??) more tanning (??). i was passed by him twice (they had a team car to stop at and chat/refuel). he looked like classics type rider who could just powerfully turn the gear. then again i was hypoxic and tired.

seeing the crash news this am from dauphine - emphasizes the luck involved in modern cycling - 200 dudes so close in ability averaging such high speed that draft is critical = there will be crashes. bummer.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [fredericknorton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One moment JV looks unbeatable. Now one of their GC guys is certainly out for the TdF and Roglic who knows how this crash affects his rest of race and final prep. He's back on the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
J-V doesn’t look panicked, and Roglic certainly knows something about crashing. Bernal seems of more concern if there’s something unrelated with his back.

Bummer for Buchmann. He showed his talent last year, hopefully he can recover in time.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carnage...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Remco won't sneak up on anybody here. His own youthful impatience (burning too many matches) might be the only thing to derail him outside of a mechanical.
33 wins since last year. Wow.
Gilbert has something like 80 I think over 18 years which is also amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wout back on the front driving it. Confidence will grow even further if they can pull off the GC after adversity.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strong showing from M vdP. Matching Woods
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That climb looks like something I dream about. Though right now it’s MvdP’s nightmare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Remco really mixing it up today. Trek rider chirping at him on earlier climb, now he's bumping with Astana blockade. Guys trying to rough him up a bit, but he's unshakable. Kid has moxie.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Remco really mixing it up today. Trek rider chirping at him on earlier climb, now he's bumping with Astana blockade. Guys trying to rough him up a bit, but he's unshakable. Kid has moxie.

He does. He was just railing a descent, putting a little pressure on guys.

Ciccone and Nibali together look dangerous.

Edit: And right on cue Nibbles has just put descending class into session.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 15, 20 7:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh f***, is that a race bike by the bridge in the replay?

Where's Remco?

Also, Ulissi and Majka are bad at descending

edit: oh f***; that was Remco's bike
Last edited by: echappist: Aug 15, 20 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh fuck I hope Evenepoel is OK. Went over the fucking bridge.
Last edited by: trail: Aug 15, 20 8:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:

holy shit......i hope he caught the bank above the stream and didn't fall all the way down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in other news, M vdP is only 20 seconds back. Probably will get dropped again, but brave effort
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
trail wrote:

holy shit......i hope he caught the bank above the stream and didn't fall all the way down

The 2020 shite-show continues. Multiple Tour contenders and Remco all out in a flash. I can't wait for 2021.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nibali looking super frisky. They don't want to let the blue monster MvDP back on.
Wish we could get a Remco update. That was bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't seen the Remco replay from the motorbike cam, but that looks like a long fall. not good. Hope he's ok.

Edit: Just saw the replay. The wall probably did more damage than the fall as he came off the top of his head.

Let's go George B.
Last edited by: Nerd: Aug 15, 20 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
McNulty wrote:
Nibali looking super frisky. They don't want to let the blue monster MvDP back on.
Wish we could get a Remco update. That was bad.

OPQS says he's okay

moments like this makes you realize that road racing can get bare-knuckled gladiatorial. Those roads look downright frightening: off camber turns, off camber turns opening to narrowing bridges, car bumpers jutting out onto the road. Remind me of that one stage of Tirreno where there was a narrowing on a stone bridge, and a poor dude almost flipped over.

Doesn't take long for us to flashback to four years ago when it was Nibali who had a horrendous crash in Rio
Quote Reply

Prev Next