Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
Sounds like MvDP demolished the field. European championships start tomorrow, I think, but haven’t seen anything about who is lining up.

Nine Jumbo-Visma guys all working to contain him, and they couldn't do it.

Granted this was the Jumbo B-team.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't think the A team could have realed the lad in. ;)
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WVA, "Hold my beer..."

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly. There's a reason these two have been neck and neck all these years.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone else spot Dowsett running the Huub-Wattbike starter pack? Or well, only the Poc Tempor with 90's shades instead of the visor but still haha.
And a blacked out Shiv disc instead of the Factor?

Nice to see Kueng get the win, talented rider. Didn't expect Cavagna to beat Campenaerts who seems to be off since his crash in the Czech Republic, was posting some of his best numbers before that he said on his Youtube channel.

Dutch women are also in really good shape again, will be interesting to see how the road race goes with Van Vleuten and van der Breggen seemingly being on a similar level now.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Aug 24, 20 22:16
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simmons in the mix at Plouay
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Tri_Joeri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cavagna has some real talent, another Lefevere discovery.

Roglic’s recovery looks to be in question and with no easing into this year’s route, it’ll be interesting to see how things unfold. Will that be enough to unleash WvA to go for green jersey? That’d be an amazing battle.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is they'll always take Roglic, he can't be in that bad shape.. Might be in support of a Dumoulin who's coming into form and who could surprise people in the finale week, if Roglic is not good enough himself.

With that in mind they might give more freedom to Wout but my guess is that yellow is still priority.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine Roglic not going unless he's in such bad shape that the Giro makes more sense.

Now about these false positive COVID tests...
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
**My official talking out the arse TdF Guide**

In no particular order, top 5 long list, some of whom will be out of it on stage 2:

Bernal: Can he find the last bit? How will he react to getting pushed around by Roglic at Dauphine, and pressure of undisputed team leader?

Roglic: are injuries minor or obfuscation? If yes, he's gonna be tough to beat.

Pinot: If Hamlet was a French pro cyclist. Love the panache but just doesn't seem to have the steely resolve to close the deal.

TD: could be a legit contender if he minimizes the damage on stage 2.

Carapaz: I chalked up his Giro win as a loss by Nibali. But after stealing a stage at ToP he's a little more cagey than I gave him credit for. If he grabs yellow on stage 2, then what?

Nairoman: I want to believe. Really, I do. Especially after he lit it up earlier this year. Here's to hoping he gets back on that form.

Pogacar: total wildcard on my board. Podium seems like a stretch without some luck but race for 5th should be an entirely different affair.

Uran, Martinez, Higuita: pick one.

Landa: If Inspector Clouseau was a Basque pro cyclist. So much talent, so many oddball ways to lose races.

Buchmann: he flew under the radar but came up big last year and showed his class. Hope his injuries aren't too severe.

Alaphilippe: no GC but has stage 2 circled for a stint in yellow, giving the French public hope before Pinot dashes them in week 3.
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Aug 25, 20 13:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Higuita.

What about the Green Jersey? Sagan will be a factor of course. Will WvA be allowed to contend on flattish stages, or be commanded to autobus it in? Nizzolo? Colbrelli?
Last edited by: trail: Aug 25, 20 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

In no particular order, top 5 long list, some of whom will be out of it on stage 2:

Bernal: Can he find the last bit? How will he react to getting pushed around by Roglic at Dauphine, and pressure of undisputed team leader?

Pinot: If Hamlet was a French pro cyclist. Love the panache but just doesn't seem to have the steely resolve to close the deal.

Carapaz: I chalked up his Giro win as a loss by Nibali. But after stealing a stage at ToP he's a little more cagey than I gave him credit for. If he grabs yellow on stage 2, then what?

Nairoman: I want to believe. Really, I do. Especially after he lit it up earlier this year. Here's to hoping he gets back on that form.

Pogacar: total wildcard on my board. Podium seems like a stretch without some luck but race for 5th should be an entirely different affair.

Landa: If Inspector Clouseau was a Basque pro cyclist. So much talent, so many oddball ways to lose races.

Buchmann: he flew under the radar but came up big last year and showed his class. Hope his injuries aren't too severe.

Alaphilippe: no GC but has stage 2 circled for a stint in yellow, giving the French public hope before Pinot dashes them in week 3.

If Roglic is healthy no one can touch him right now. We will see I guess. His power to weight is nasty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Anyone else spot Dowsett running the Huub-Wattbike starter pack? Or well, only the Poc Tempor with 90's shades instead of the visor but still haha.
And a blacked out Shiv disc instead of the Factor?

I didn't get a good look at the front wheel on Dowsett's bike, but it almost looked like it had an aero hub of some sort. Adding the disc to a trispoke wheel is something like of new and might be better than a spoked wheel if it allows you to get away from the chunky hub.

I also liked that Wolf kid's Scott Plasma with the regular side pull front caliper. That bike looked straight out of the High Road equipment truck from 2012 or thereabouts.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

Higuita.

What about the Green Jersey? Sagan will be a factor of course. Will WvA be allowed to contend on flattish stages, or be commanded to autobus it in? Nizzolo? Colbrelli?

Martinez. Love Higgi but DM has been going great. Steady.
EF will have a fun tour.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read on either Time trial forum or Cycling Weekly that Dowsett had Revover wheels on the Shiv TT disc. I guess there a Uk brand?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:

Bernal- will be right there. Super smart rider. Roglic might get a little impatient. Ineos has stud support.
Pogacar- (pronounced: Focaccia) fades but goes stage hunting. Can Formolo and Aru ride strictly support? I think not. UAE is all about stages.
Pinot- would love to see him close, but alas......
TD- steady as she goes. If he gets on a solid breakfast, coffee, natural routine going he should be fine.
Ala- whatever happens, it'll be swashbuckling.
Buchmann- could climb in the rankings in the 3rd week.
N Quint- whatever happens, it'll be stoic and stone faced and he'll be j'accused of not being more aggressive when in fact he's a shankworthy rider. He'll go when you're grabbing a bottle. All in the game, yo.
Tejay- nvm. Hope he contributes. Has had a nice career. USA
LeTour- is he riding le Tour? I hope so. He's going well.
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [McNulty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anybody mentioned Guillaume Martin yet? He's got no team so I don't think he has a shot at the podium, but I'd bet he'll finish top ten and maybe snag a stage along the way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
I can't imagine Roglic not going unless he's in such bad shape that the Giro makes more sense.

The false positive tests are a farse really. Positives WILL come up during the 3 week period, more than once I'd say. How many teams will be left in week 3? Will we see a team with the GC leader at that point get kicked off of the Tour? What if that rider is French, cover it up quickly?

Carl Spackler wrote:

You forgot Guillaume Martin who is my top 10 "dark horse", if you can really call him an outsider. I think he'll be able to do well. That said, my money is on Tom Dumoulin for the overall. But I can see a lot of these guys lit it up and make it very interesting. Especially with mountain stages already in the first couple of days.

grumpier.mike wrote:

I didn't get a good look at the front wheel on Dowsett's bike, but it almost looked like it had an aero hub of some sort. Adding the disc to a trispoke wheel is something like of new and might be better than a spoked wheel if it allows you to get away from the chunky hub.

I also liked that Wolf kid's Scott Plasma with the regular side pull front caliper. That bike looked straight out of the High Road equipment truck from 2012 or thereabouts.

As jellybelly mentioned it's the Revolver trispoke. Company makes decent products, I have their mono arm rest on my Speed Concept. Quite wel known in the British TT scene together with D2Z and Aerocoach and the likes.

Agreed, I like the older Plasma 3 too. I immediately started thinking about a few guys on here who still have them and are very competitive on them. He would've had the 4th time overall in the elite mens too I believe.

trail wrote:

If not Sagan, I'd say Nizzolo might have a shot. Really wondering which Sagan we will see though, he missed sharpness and that edge the last races but doing the Tour/Giro double, he can't be coming in with very high form either I guess if he wants to do reasonably well in both?
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Aug 25, 20 22:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:

As jellybelly mentioned it's the Revolver trispoke. Company makes decent products, I have their mono arm rest on my Speed Concept. Quite wel known in the British TT scene together with D2Z and Aerocoach and the likes.

Agreed, I like the older Plasma 3 too. I immediately started thinking about a few guys on here who still have them and are very competitive on them. He would've had the 4th time overall in the elite mens too I believe.

Wait, someone was rocking something like this, including the shark-tooth graphic stem? Do you have a photo (I couldn't find images on cyclingnews)

?

This may be the one bike I'll sell only when I'm unable to ride it. Come to think of it, not a lot of "modern" touches, by which I'm mainly referring to the Kamm tail designs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Carl Spackler wrote:

The false positive tests are a farse really. Positives WILL come up during the 3 week period, more than once I'd say. How many teams will be left in week 3? Will we see a team with the GC leader at that point get kicked off of the Tour? What if that rider is French, cover it up quickly?

They are regrettable, but they are not a farce. We are still only about 7-8 months into this thing, and there's a lot that we don't know. Three years down the road, false positives definitely would be less acceptable, but accuracy needs to be balanced by urgency.

The alternative to all this is that there could just be no cycling, whatsoever. I doubt anyone would want that. Least worst option among many options, unfortunately
Quote Reply
Re: *Spoilers* 2020 Cycling Restart Thread *Spoilers* [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also, interesting finish at EUR Road Race Championship
Italy played it perfectly though. Trentin doing a huge turn to reel in attacks. Ballerini doing a great lead-out.

M vdP seems to be on good form; too bad he got boxed in. His team drilled it on the front for so long, and there was no one to deliver him to the front at the end.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nizzolo is very sharp this year, can see him pushing Sagan. This year’s course could make green a target for guys like GvA but at end of the day, that road goes thru Peto. He looks lean and ready for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly the same colors I believe! But not as well setup haha.

This is the only thing I could find for now, during track testing he did. His team seems to ride with Bennotti bikes so this must be his own bike.

https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1ofdwyatdvrvq
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
Tri_Joeri wrote:

They are regrettable, but they are not a farce. We are still only about 7-8 months into this thing, and there's a lot that we don't know. Three years down the road, false positives definitely would be less acceptable, but accuracy needs to be balanced by urgency.

The alternative to all this is that there could just be no cycling, whatsoever. I doubt anyone would want that. Least worst option among many options, unfortunately

Also though I love conspiracy theories, I don't think there's much risk of a coverup. I'd assume that the UCI, not the ASO, is responsible for overseeing test results. The UCI race jury is multi-national, and generally doesn't seem to give a crap about pleasing the race promoter - e.g. ejecting Nizzolo (Italian) on the last stage of the Giro for a minor sprint deviation that didn't result in a crash. Or ejecting Sagan from the TdF which probably upset a lot of sponsors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Joeri wrote:
Exactly the same colors I believe! But not as well setup haha.

This is the only thing I could find for now, during track testing he did. His team seems to ride with Bennotti bikes so this must be his own bike.

https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=1ofdwyatdvrvq

In which case, I hang my head in shame

I have a bike that's deemed a bit nicer than what a legit pro has. Yet another in a long series of purchases too good for my abilities.

In my defense though, a knee injury did effectively force me off of that bike for two seasons, but there's still no way I'd get within 10% of him
Quote Reply

Prev Next