Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no stake in the game, aside from looking to get a set of aero wheels, and doing my best to learn about bike aerodynamics to make an intelligent decision. Call me an armchair hobbiest.

Here is my outsiders take on things:

What interests me most about Hambini’s data is not the details, but rather that he is proposing an entirely new method to interpret/collect aero data that is proposed to be more representative of the real world. What he proposes, if correct, could make everyone at least reevaluate protocols... or risk being left measuring aero data that is removed from reality (yes, no one test will truly represent reality).

The problem here, is that he approached the problem a little too casually when it came to initially sharing the data, and critiquing some of the brands/designs. You don’t go throwing bricks through windows without being ready for a fight, and to back up your claims with hard data and protocol details. Is the world of science, your data needs to be independantly verifiable to gain true validity. Maybe few marketing departments give that level of data/methadology... but if Hambini is going to dump on data/products of others (calling them out), his data/methadology needs to hold weight.

Irrespective of what he actually did or did not do in regards to protocol, it was not communicated in detail when the results came out. I do not blame others for asking a lot of questions, or being skeptical. I also do not think Hambini quite expected the response he got... he was a relitavly newcomer to the scene, and making big claims would not be left without challenge. A weekend hobby project was being analyzed like a whitepaper... except there was no whitepaper.

In my eyes, Hambini further hurt his credibility by being narcissistic in his own defense. I am not saying that mud was not slung both ways, but his behaviour in response to challenge was telling in my eyes.

So a few observations on the results (and i think it has some use if you have some faith, just like most data).

- this is impressive work, and i commend it. Sure it is not perfect, but it is up to the reader to interpret the level of value. And there is plenty of value here... even if i would not take it as gospel.

- 2.5% error. I doubt that most tests of this nature will do much better, so i will not criticize. I share concerns of others that the amount of wheels tested, over a number of days over a rather long protocol (~26min per wheel)... leaves a lot of room for measurement error... simply because a human on a bike is involved. As hambini said himself, rider position can make a far larger difference than the small differences in wheels being measured. Rider position was within +/- 1cm via laser (if memory serves). So i take that as up to 2cm variation. That can be a lot comparative to what is being measured with the wheels... especially if multiple parts of the human anatomy have the same variation. A test dummy has it’s own limitations... but may be the lesser evil.

- many people discussed accuracy and repeatability. The next wheel i would like to see tested would be a repeat of a wheel tested on day 1. A consistent end result would be very telling.

- Flo. I have read both sides of the story. Hambini apparently contacted flo before the data went public? Why? To gloat? To say their product sucked? Whatever that initial private exchange was... hambini came out pretty hard on flo. I am sure something personal was said... product criticized, credentials questioned, egoes flared. Who knows. All i know is Hambini can get nasty when provoked, and i could not figure out why he was so hard on flo (maybe he did not single them out in the original print of his article/data, and only went after them post lawyer letter?). When i looked at the best and the worst of wheels of a given depth... flo wheels were only 2.5% or so worse than the best... margin of error. Why the hate? To me the zipp nsw was the big underperformer.

- tires. 23cc conti gp4000’s were used, all at 8.25bar. This was a controlled factor, but in reality, no two tire widths would be the same in the test. Wheel Internal diameters would all be different. And what if a wheels aerodynamics were designed to work with a tire that was the same width or narrower than the rim? the 23cc gp4000 measures closer to 24.8mm at 7bar. At 8.25bar it is approaching closer to 26mm. It is well known that tires wider than the rim can have some negative aero consequences... hambini made a big deal of it. Near 26mm tires may have hurt the 24mm flo wheels if optimal aero performance was designed for a tire closer to 24mm wide. Other narrow wheels (ff, and shimano) were effected less, or not at all, by a wide tire. Maybe it was serendipity, maybe they were designed that way. But i want to find the best tire for the wheel i want, or vice versa. Maybe the flo wheels would have done just as well as the others of similar depth, had 1bar of air been removed and the tries been narrower. Maybe shimano wheels would have done even better had the tires been narrower. Who knows, but i will bet that every narrow rim in the test (i.e. actual tire width was wider than rim width) will perform a little better with a narrower tire. And remember, at 30km/hr, the flo 45 was only 2.4% slower (5w) than the best of the 45mm wheels (which is less than the margin of testing error), despite a tire that could have been up to 2mm wider than optimal, Again, why the hate?

- to build on the above, it would be interesting to know the measured tire widths on each wheel, and the actual widths of each wheel in the tests. In a perfect world, the test would be done with a tire narrower, same width, and wider than the wheel... and then the reader could see which tire width to aim for if they own that wheel (or how far they could push the envelope with the tires... as wider is beneficial for many reasons). I can guess the results... the wheels with wider tires (wider than the wheel) will not perform as well aerodynamically. Silica has some really nicely presented data on this.

And that is is my problem with hambinis data... the tire width issue is a confounder... even if a small one. Remember, the margin of error is 2.5%, and the “worst from first” in hambinis study (for a given rim depth) is in a similar order of magnitude. Some wheel makers performance was called out by the author for that level of difference.

- to go further, to be positive... what is also very cool about hambini’s data, is that it may also be interpreted in a way that helps you identify wheels that perform quite well despite tires being wider than the rim! There are a few pretty narrow rims that do just fine. Something in their design presumably makes them a little less prone to the wide tires, and that may be a good thing for folks with callipers that don’t perform as well on wider rims. Hopefully those cases are not due to measurement error...

- hambini has said he will not further discuss his methadology. I can understand his frustration... but again, don’t go throwing stones if you live in a glass house.

Overall, I think Hambini’s work has a huge potential to help educate buyers, and industry folks alike. He seems like a smart enough guy to be able to take his protocol, improve it (for example, using a dummy instead of a human rider), and hopefully represent (or repeat) his data in the form of a white paper. If his work can be produced independantly, than maybe we have a basis for a game changer as a more accurate testing protocol (in relation to fluctuating airstreams).

My theory is that Hambini has no interest in sharing the gritty details because 1. He did it for interest initially over a weekend and had no intention on investing the time on a hobby project: this is not his day job, and now 2. Because he is now refining the process, possibly to use on a more commercial scale. Why give that info away for free when someone like Trek may pay him for it? Who knows, i hope for the latter.

Sorry for the long post, but i figure that the select few people that got this far in the thread, might be patient enough to read it.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 16, 18 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You spent a lot of time on this post, but you missed the biggest thing Hambini likely did wrong - that he did not do the testing at all and fabricated all of the data. That really is the most likely thing. Do you think he snuck in hundreds of hours of illicit testing (worth several hundred thousand dollars at least) at one of the largest aerospace companies in the world with security controls up the wazoo? And not only that but he avoided detection and jail time for it? And then post all about it on the internet?

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 16, 18 8:57
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe you are right (data fabrication), but if i am a guessing man, I don’t think hambini would go that far out of his way. What would his motivation be? To badmouth flo and hunt? Before Hambini ever posted any of this data, i can not see a reason for them to dislike each other (i did zero research on this). There just seems like better/easier ways to do that in life (like a brick through a window).

And he is an engineer. He obviously geeks out on this stuff. Him and his buddies did it to help a friend find fast wheels... but it was probably like a weekend of golf to them. Hell, i like to learn about this stuff... i am doing it for fun... and i am not even an engineer!!!

Building this kind of data, even if fake... takes a lot of drive. No one can deny hambini has drive. And with that kind of drive, i predict a more refined repeat of this data, likely with white papers.

I just want more data supporting that his new protocol is more accurate/representative of real world performance vs more static wind tunnel protocols. It seems promicing, but show me the data! I.e., i am also hoping for a follow-up on the design analysis on the good and poor performers. He has hinted to a few elements briefly, but i would like to hear more. The tire/rim transition design is what interests me.

What design aspect allows some narrow rims to perform better with the wider tire? Are some rims more sensitive to tire width than others, and why?
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 16, 18 9:27
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even if protocols some day change (less static wind tunnel) i think first principals of wheel design will prevail:
- deeper is more aero
- to a lesser degree, narrower is more aero (less frontal surface area). Wider tires will never be faster on a pure aero perspective... we just learn that the penalty can be minimized with properly designed wider rims.
- for optimal performance, make sure your tires are not (much) wider than the rims
- rim shape/profile is a more minor factor. most of us are not fast enough to see the difference.
- gains at high yaw will likely compromise gains at low yaw, and vice versa. Improving both is the holy grail.

I don’t think there is a ton of magic in wheel design beyond that. I will go on the record as predicting it, even as a non-expert.

I think it is like “peak aero” on tt bikes. We are most of the way there...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're massively understating the impact of the variability in position that will occur over that many 20+ minute tests. I also have a hard time believing the rider stayed within their bounds for the entire test, more likely that was measured based off starting position. With that much potential error, nothing can be learned from this study, and it's a disservice to companies such as flo to even attempt to do so.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fair.

My somewhat burried point is that there are some significant confounders in his data... beyond wheel design. But there may also be some basis to the protocol if tightened up. A manaquin for example.

Someone willing to compare 20-30 wheelsets is potentially useful for a consumer... sadly the data is suspect as is. There is no free lunch.

The other end of it is... what is the use of a protocoll if the tools (louvred wind tunnel) are not accessable? It is like medical reasearch. In a perfect world every new drug or treatment is studied in a massive worldwide controlled random double blind study... but the result is very high costs in reasearch... and in turn, health care. Some things while scientifically ideal, are not feasable.

Again, i wonder why hambini contacted flo before publishing? Makes me wonder if he tried to monetize his findings (“your design sucks... pay me x dolars and i will tell you why, and how to fix it)”. Questions were asked to try to see if the data was valid... holes in the data opened... and the pissing match began.

All just speculation on my part...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The thing is, we are able to use the existing wind tunnel data to model performance to a very high degree of accuracy. Best bike split and other tools are able to predict times within seconds.

Because of this, i actually disagree with there being any validity to their claim. Right now the only actual validity is that hambini sounds smart and the protocol is complicated. They need to first prove there is something lacking in the current modeling. Until then, it's just a solution looking for a problem.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We certinally agree. Why reinvent the wheel if it is already round and rolls well?

If his data is full of inconsistencies, one would hope he is smart/stubborn enough to go through it again, making the proper adjustments. If he cleans it up, he may find the results less exciting (in which case we may likley never hear of it again), or he may find some true new design insights. More likely, he will reinforce concepts already known.

I still maintain that 95%+ of wheel design is the basics “we” already know. The rest is just window dressing, and couscous design compromises. Wheels freed on constraints of rim brakes should help efficiency from shape... only to counteract the drag of disc brake rotors for a net zero gain... hahaha
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to beat a dead horse, but i read the entire thread. I think i regained some brain cells i lost reading parts of the ww thread.

Honorable mentions are:
- flo’s comments on large vs small magnitude gains
- josh (and p.s, his silica articles on tire pressure are great)
- dans even hand when things got heated.
- hambini et al saying they were submitting their data for peer review (required for credibility imho)
- how would things have been different had Hambini kept his cool, and not played such a heel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
maybe he did not single them out in the original print of his article/data, and only went after them post lawyer letter?

Just so you know, there was no lawyer letter. You can read our thoughts on all of Hambini's accusations here: https://flocycling.com/.../Hambini-Accusations

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He has some beef with the folks from BBInfinite as well. Hmmm how many people does one need to argue with before we conclude he’s the real problem?
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:
maybe he did not single them out in the original print of his article/data, and only went after them post lawyer letter?

Just so you know, there was no lawyer letter. You can read our thoughts on all of Hambini's accusations here: https://flocycling.com/.../Hambini-Accusations

Wow,

I’m going to start calling you guys “the flow”

Nice comunity members 99% of the time, quiet assasins the other 1%

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IfmPgxcjq-Q

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently canyon are a bunch of “c#nts” also because they posted a comment on one of his videos and were not willing to answer some of his technical questions on their products. He said any company that will not answer such questions must have terrible product (or similar words).

I guess by Hambinis own logic... he is a c$nt and his products are terrible. Hahah. The irony of his comment made me laugh. It was on one of his youtube q+a videos.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
He has some beef with the folks from BBInfinite as well. Hmmm how many people does one need to argue with before we conclude he’s the real problem?

There does seem to be one common denominator here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why don't you contact Hambini HR department directly so you can get more information on who sent that letter? I would be worried if someone impersonated my lawyer... which highly illegal by the way.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [TiCass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiCass wrote:
Why don't you contact Hambini HR department directly so you can get more information on who sent that letter? I would be worried if someone impersonated my lawyer... which highly illegal by the way.

I don't think there is a Hambini HR department.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd add as well that the supposed lawyer letter is not even signed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

Nice summation. Your transparency over the nearly 10 years on ST has provided you with a track record that is well respected.

Hambini, not so much. Clearly a very troubled individual.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My take on this is spending a ton of money on ZIPPs or ENVEs isn't going to make me any faster than if I pick something decent from a cheaper set of wheels.
I'm looking at a set of TUFF Premium 60/80s for $750 (on sale) https://www.tuffcycle.com/road.html
Hubs look good (18 front 21 rear campy style) and they have laser engraved sidewalls. Not seen any reviews on this set, but seen a few videos about tuff wheels on youtube.
My other choice would be to watch out for some second hand Bontrager 60s from somebody who got them with a new bike but didn't want them.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Broken Leg Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

Nice summation. Your transparency over the nearly 10 years on ST has provided you with a track record that is well respected.

This is the reason I’ve chosen to buy multiple wheels from FLO and reco them to friends

I Dunno if they are actually faster. But I feel like someone here accountable to the most critical group of people I “know” is worth something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

And he "replied" (using that term loosely).

I am European, but now a Canadian citizen. I'm an engineer in a completely unrelated field, educated in Europe, on the continent, and worked there for a while before coming to Canada. I worked with Brits. I like to think I understand the social mores on both (or rather all three :-) sides of the ocean, and the differences between them.

And what's going on here is not how I'm used to deal with technical differences of opinion. I'm used to keep my discussions technical, especially if there are disagreements, and keep the ad hominem out of it. Sure, Brits (and Dutch people) have a different communication style from North Americans - mostly more direct: we will tell you your idea is bad without sugar coating it, or at least with less sugar than the American engineer applies. But we (or at least the people I worked with) will never doubt your qualifications or intelligence. So writing this whole debacle up, as he tries, as a basic case of cultural confusion is, not to put too fine a point on it, bullshit.

To me, Sachin Hambini presents as somebody who's always been the smartest boy in the class, who never got any pushback in his formative years. And now, when he does get pushback, he doesn't know how to deal with it. It's possible he knows exactly what he doing and that he's trolling, but I don't think he is. I think he thinks he's right and just doesn't know how to have a civil discussion.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
Broken Leg Guy wrote:
Canadian wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:

This is the reason I’ve chosen to buy multiple wheels from FLO and reco them to friends

I Dunno if they are actually faster. But I feel like someone here accountable to the most critical group of people I “know” is worth something

Exactly why I was on the first FLO pre-order nearly 7 years ago.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read a bit of this. I could have sworn I posted in here before, but must have been a similar thread somewhere else. I searched.

At the end of the day you've still got two parties both with possible selfish motives.

Some takeaways from this from an average joe with an engineering background.......

On the comments about tire fit, pressure. 0.1psi difference in shape, etc......
-Yes, you can find noticeable and measurable differences in molds. I used to try to work for a major corporation that makes consumer products. The fit of some molded components greatly affected reliability of filling/assembly of the parts in the plant. We would try to optimize our use of specific lots/runs of parts to improve reliability. Also work with the molder to make the parts closer in similarity. FWIW, this was fit between the little plastic cap in your deodorant stick and the body of the container. If it doesn't fit right, it leaks/falls apart on the assembly line making a damn mess.

However, this claim that they could call and confirm it as the "best mold" would imply that the tire mfg already had aero data to backup the claim as one mold being "better" for either CRR or aero. How would a tire mfg know that for aero for pairing to a specific wheel, based on mold? I am skeptical of that.

Our molder didn't know whatsoever about our situation (which worked better) until I measured about 1000 parts by hand from each of the 4 different molds we used. Then, I could confirm which ran best by running the data from lots of samples, and figure out which mold ran best on the production line.

You simply can't run one, two, or even three tires from 3 to 4 molds and use that to say "mold x is always best". You'd have to do it with a LOT of samples. Sample size IMHO is too small to make that claim.

After you've done that you could notify your molder of parts about your situation. Conti isn't going to know in advance which mold produces the best aero shaped tire for YOUR specific wheel. They may know which one has the best aero profile in a generic sense, which according to you guys is crap if you adjust the air pressure by 0.1 psi anyway.

If I called the molder and off the cuff said "I'm testing some of your parts here, which mold is best?" They're probably going to tell you which one has the most consistent parts that don't have defects or rejects (shorts, overshots, etc). Not which one functions best as a "part interaction".

-Next, yes, a pressure change in a tire probably would matter for aero. I can concede that idea. You could easily confirm the difference by using a handy dandy 3D scan tool to capture the profile of the tire/wheel interface for whatever range of pressures you want. Then PROVE there's a difference by showing it. I did a google search on F1/Nascar and tire pressures and it didn't at a fast glance have as much to do with aero as with handling and management of heat during a race (warm them up quicker to optimal, keep them there somehow, etc..) Nascar being closed wheel racing wouldn't matter anyway. So I found that whole exchange about tire pressure a bit odd since this is an aero discussion.

-$2000 for a sensor may sound cool, but that's run of the mill industrial instrumentation. Doesn't touch optical density meters or retractable pH probes on cost. But sure sounds fancy. I'd invest in that 3D scan tool.

This whole situation seems unfortunate.

Cooler heads will often prevail in the realm of public opinion, except in our current US politics it seems.

As a consumer/enthusiast, one thing of all this that often doesn't get answered is the "why". We keep getting the what in terms of lots of "watts" thrown around. But not the why.

When we're talking .1psi tire pressures that even pretty anal amateur time trialists who might reach speeds close to 30mph.....probably won't be able to replicate that. Not to mention how the tire warms/cools or loses/gains pressure during the event.

All when you've got 50% of buyers tossing the wrong tire size on there all together and using grossly 10psi too much or too little. Not even 1psi, but probably 10.

I think the best thing that could happen is the wheel suppliers agreeing on a once a year "shootout" at the same tunnel, same protocol. Not different days, different tunnels, different operators, slightly different protocols. Maybe even hand the wheels off to someone like "Car and Driver".
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
Maybe you are right (data fabrication), but if i am a guessing man, I don’t think hambini would go that far out of his way.

....And he is an engineer. He obviously geeks out on this stuff. Him and his buddies did it to help a friend find fast wheels... but it was probably like a weekend of golf to them. Hell, i like to learn about this stuff... i am doing it for fun... and i am not even an engineer!!!

It's hard for me to imagine a lot of the things people do and why they do them. Especially on the internet. But fame (or infamy!) and exposure are the likely motives. Like you, many people (maybe most?) believe he did the tests. I doubt anyone will ever go to the trouble to prove he didn't.

As you said, you are not an engineer. This isn't a "fun weekend geek project". It's a shit-ton of real work to do this sort of research correctly. Tedious, exacting work. Anybody want to guess how many man-hrs? 1,000 or more? And at the end of the day the +-2.5% error bars swamp the differences measured, meaning that few conclusions can be drawn. Yet Hambini has no qualms about drawing conclusions.

If we get an actual writeup of what was done, and better yet a new test with less inherent error (no rider for instance), then that would be really cool. But based on what we've seen so far, there's really no reason to believe that the testing was done.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
I read a bit of this. I could have sworn I posted in here before, but must have been a similar thread somewhere else. I searched.

At the end of the day you've still got two parties both with possible selfish motives.

Some takeaways from this from an average joe with an engineering background.......

On the comments about tire fit, pressure. 0.1psi difference in shape, etc......
-Yes, you can find noticeable and measurable differences in molds. I used to try to work for a major corporation that makes consumer products. The fit of some molded components greatly affected reliability of filling/assembly of the parts in the plant. We would try to optimize our use of specific lots/runs of parts to improve reliability. Also work with the molder to make the parts closer in similarity. FWIW, this was fit between the little plastic cap in your deodorant stick and the body of the container. If it doesn't fit right, it leaks/falls apart on the assembly line making a damn mess.

However, this claim that they could call and confirm it as the "best mold" would imply that the tire mfg already had aero data to backup the claim as one mold being "better" for either CRR or aero. How would a tire mfg know that for aero for pairing to a specific wheel, based on mold? I am skeptical of that.

Our molder didn't know whatsoever about our situation (which worked better) until I measured about 1000 parts by hand from each of the 4 different molds we used. Then, I could confirm which ran best by running the data from lots of samples, and figure out which mold ran best on the production line.

You simply can't run one, two, or even three tires from 3 to 4 molds and use that to say "mold x is always best". You'd have to do it with a LOT of samples. Sample size IMHO is too small to make that claim.

After you've done that you could notify your molder of parts about your situation. Conti isn't going to know in advance which mold produces the best aero shaped tire for YOUR specific wheel. They may know which one has the best aero profile in a generic sense, which according to you guys is crap if you adjust the air pressure by 0.1 psi anyway.

If I called the molder and off the cuff said "I'm testing some of your parts here, which mold is best?" They're probably going to tell you which one has the most consistent parts that don't have defects or rejects (shorts, overshots, etc). Not which one functions best as a "part interaction".

-Next, yes, a pressure change in a tire probably would matter for aero. I can concede that idea. You could easily confirm the difference by using a handy dandy 3D scan tool to capture the profile of the tire/wheel interface for whatever range of pressures you want. Then PROVE there's a difference by showing it. I did a google search on F1/Nascar and tire pressures and it didn't at a fast glance have as much to do with aero as with handling and management of heat during a race (warm them up quicker to optimal, keep them there somehow, etc..) Nascar being closed wheel racing wouldn't matter anyway. So I found that whole exchange about tire pressure a bit odd since this is an aero discussion.

-$2000 for a sensor may sound cool, but that's run of the mill industrial instrumentation. Doesn't touch optical density meters or retractable pH probes on cost. But sure sounds fancy. I'd invest in that 3D scan tool.

This whole situation seems unfortunate.

Cooler heads will often prevail in the realm of public opinion, except in our current US politics it seems.

As a consumer/enthusiast, one thing of all this that often doesn't get answered is the "why". We keep getting the what in terms of lots of "watts" thrown around. But not the why.

When we're talking .1psi tire pressures that even pretty anal amateur time trialists who might reach speeds close to 30mph.....probably won't be able to replicate that. Not to mention how the tire warms/cools or loses/gains pressure during the event.

All when you've got 50% of buyers tossing the wrong tire size on there all together and using grossly 10psi too much or too little. Not even 1psi, but probably 10.

I think the best thing that could happen is the wheel suppliers agreeing on a once a year "shootout" at the same tunnel, same protocol. Not different days, different tunnels, different operators, slightly different protocols. Maybe even hand the wheels off to someone like "Car and Driver".

The engineering aspect is just one part of the equation and honestly less important to me. Hambini may be a smart guy but his demeanor and bizarre actions would cause me to question anything and everything he has to say in the future.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply

Prev Next