Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Richard Blaine wrote:
Sachin Hambini presents as somebody who's always been the smartest boy in the class, who never got any pushback in his formative years. And now, when he does get pushback, he doesn't know how to deal with it. It's possible he knows exactly what he doing and that he's trolling, but I don't think he is. I think he thinks he's right and just doesn't know how to have a civil discussion.

I just don't see how that makes sense. The "smart guy" scientist deals with pushback constantly, especially if they are making bold and revolutionary claims. They are accustomed to arguing their points in scientific terms, not with ad hominem and spin. Particularly someone with a PhD!
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Sachin Hambini presents as somebody who's always been the smartest boy in the class, who never got any pushback in his formative years. And now, when he does get pushback, he doesn't know how to deal with it. It's possible he knows exactly what he doing and that he's trolling, but I don't think he is. I think he thinks he's right and just doesn't know how to have a civil discussion.

I just don't see how that makes sense. The "smart guy" scientist deals with pushback constantly, especially if they are making bold and revolutionary claims. They are accustomed to arguing their points in scientific terms, not with ad hominem and spin. Particularly someone with a PhD!

Yeah - the guy who truly believes he's the smartest guy in the room will argue the merits and present the data to make sure everyone knows he is the smartest guy in the room. The guy who is pretending to be the smartest guy in the room will obfuscate and redirect.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:

Does he have a PhD? That defense must have been fun - random authority in the field asks probing question, Hambini flips lid.

Maybe you're right. In all honesty I can't understand how he survives in any professional environment if this is the way he always behaves. So maybe he is trolling.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@burnthesheep

Look at the silica blog for some great articles on tire pressure and the effects on aero.

0.1psi will make no difference. 1psi, who cares. 10psi... now lets talk!

The issue i have with hambini’s test is that all tires were at 8.25bar (119psi). That is high, and the width of the 23mm contis at 100psi vs 119 is over a mm in difference, or about. At 90psi or so they are 24.8mm (give or take). At 119psi they are closer to 26mm wide. Depending on the rim width... once the tires go wider than the rims, aero hurts. The silica data on a 404rim would suggest 1mm might be worth 1-9 watts once tire width passes a threshold. Certinally in the range of error of hambinis test.

So tire pressure does not much effect aero, until it pushes the width of the tire beyond what the rim was designed for (isually wider than the rim). Hambini made a big fuss about it in his preamble...
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 19, 18 11:09
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Phd? Trolling? A$$hole?

I don’t want to comment on hambini’s personality, but i will defend him a bit.

My professional persona, and private persona are often very different. Sarcasm, humor, and political correctness will change based on my surrounding company and mood. Just because he acts the way he does, it does not mean he can not be perfessional at work. Or maybe it is a boys club of swearing there... who knows. Off topic anyway.

He may not care to reply to the questions, especially when some people online criticize him. Why waste the time? I get it, he is an engineer in aerodynamics, and lots of internet armchair “experts” like me (this ignores the true experts on here... impressive), are acting like they have all the answers. I personally choose not to engage with people about the scope of my work, outside my work for this very reason.

But like others, his behaviour is all i have to judge him with at the moment. As such, i am waiting until his work is submitted for peer review... until then... it could be the best study ever... or fabrication. The truth is probably somewhere in between.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
Phd? Trolling? A$$hole?

I don’t want to comment on hambini’s personality, but i will defend him a bit.

My professional persona, and private persona are often very different. Sarcasm, humor, and political correctness will change based on my surrounding company and mood. Just because he acts the way he does, it does not mean he can not be perfessional at work. Or maybe it is a boys club of swearing there... who knows. Off topic anyway.

He may not care to reply to the questions, especially when some people online criticize him. Why waste the time? I get it, he is an engineer in aerodynamics, and lots of internet armchair “experts” like me (this ignores the true experts on here... impressive), are acting like they have all the answers. I personally choose not to engage with people about the scope of my work, outside my work for this very reason.

But like others, his behaviour is all i have to judge him with at the moment. As such, i am waiting until his work is submitted for peer review... until then... it could be the best study ever... or fabrication. The truth is probably somewhere in between.

He posted all this "data" on the website for a company he runs - he sells products that he designs and has manufactured on that website. So that makes this his work persona. Maybe when he is working for someone else his persona is different? Or maybe that is why he no longer works at Rolls-Royce or Airbus (Isn't this is supposed resume? Do we know that any of that is true?)

I think it's been essentially proven that he fabricated the Flo letter.

All common sense says that there is maybe about a 0.1% chance that he actually completed this MASSIVE test, tying up hundreds of hours of a multi-million dollar facility run by a huge military contractor under the table for his own giggles.

IF he did that there is about a 0.1% chance that he would publicize the fact that he stole all those resources from the company on the internet, so now we are at about 0.01% chance that he actually did it.

When you combine his propensity for making stuff up like he did with the Flo letter, I give him 0.001% chance that he did not fabricate all of this data. Likely he is really just a liar likely with some sort of personality disorder.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 19, 18 11:59
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I'd address some of your points to add some clarity.

burnthesheep wrote:
I read a bit of this. I could have sworn I posted in here before, but must have been a similar thread somewhere else. I searched.
At the end of the day you've still got two parties both with possible selfish motives.

Some takeaways from this from an average joe with an engineering background.......

On the comments about tire fit, pressure. 0.1psi difference in shape, etc......
-Yes, you can find noticeable and measurable differences in molds. I used to try to work for a major corporation that makes consumer products. The fit of some molded components greatly affected reliability of filling/assembly of the parts in the plant. We would try to optimize our use of specific lots/runs of parts to improve reliability. Also work with the molder to make the parts closer in similarity. FWIW, this was fit between the little plastic cap in your deodorant stick and the body of the container. If it doesn't fit right, it leaks/falls apart on the assembly line making a damn mess.

However, this claim that they could call and confirm it as the "best mold" would imply that the tire mfg already had aero data to backup the claim as one mold being "better" for either CRR or aero. How would a tire mfg know that for aero for pairing to a specific wheel, based on mold? I am skeptical of that.

We did not call Conti to confirm. We called an engineer who used to work at a competing wheel company and he came to the same conclusion. One mold in particular was more aero than others. This seems to be universally true for those who test.

Our molder didn't know whatsoever about our situation (which worked better) until I measured about 1000 parts by hand from each of the 4 different molds we used. Then, I could confirm which ran best by running the data from lots of samples, and figure out which mold ran best on the production line.

You simply can't run one, two, or even three tires from 3 to 4 molds and use that to say "mold x is always best". You'd have to do it with a LOT of samples. Sample size IMHO is too small to make that claim.

I agree that sample size is important here. To come to a more thorough conclusion more tests would need to be run. That said, one mold does seem quite a bit better than others.

After you've done that you could notify your molder of parts about your situation. Conti isn't going to know in advance which mold produces the best aero shaped tire for YOUR specific wheel. They may know which one has the best aero profile in a generic sense, which according to you guys is crap if you adjust the air pressure by 0.1 psi anyway.

I think you are taking the 0.1psi number out of context. We noticed aero differences with 5+ psi changes. The 0.1psi references the accuracy of our pressure gauge. More on that level of accuracy below.

If I called the molder and off the cuff said "I'm testing some of your parts here, which mold is best?" They're probably going to tell you which one has the most consistent parts that don't have defects or rejects (shorts, overshots, etc). Not which one functions best as a "part interaction".

-Next, yes, a pressure change in a tire probably would matter for aero. I can concede that idea. You could easily confirm the difference by using a handy dandy 3D scan tool to capture the profile of the tire/wheel interface for whatever range of pressures you want. Then PROVE there's a difference by showing it. I did a google search on F1/Nascar and tire pressures and it didn't at a fast glance have as much to do with aero as with handling and management of heat during a race (warm them up quicker to optimal, keep them there somehow, etc..) Nascar being closed wheel racing wouldn't matter anyway. So I found that whole exchange about tire pressure a bit odd since this is an aero discussion.

We did a study showing the affects pressure has on aerodynamics. We studied this in the A2 wind tunnel. The reason tire pressure was part of this discussion is because inaccurately setting your tire pressure could impact your results.

-$2000 for a sensor may sound cool, but that's run of the mill industrial instrumentation. Doesn't touch optical density meters or retractable pH probes on cost. But sure sounds fancy. I'd invest in that 3D scan tool.

We have a $2000 pressure sensor because we are the ones conducting the tests. If our test pressures are not accurate then our results are rather useless. We chose to purchase a highly accurate sensor because we've shown that pressure effects aerodynamics.

This whole situation seems unfortunate.

Cooler heads will often prevail in the realm of public opinion, except in our current US politics it seems.

As a consumer/enthusiast, one thing of all this that often doesn't get answered is the "why". We keep getting the what in terms of lots of "watts" thrown around. But not the why.

When we're talking .1psi tire pressures that even pretty anal amateur time trialists who might reach speeds close to 30mph.....probably won't be able to replicate that. Not to mention how the tire warms/cools or loses/gains pressure during the event.

We are not suggesting that every athlete needs to purchase a $2000 pressure sensor accurate to 0.1psi. However, we are trying to help people understand that pressure is important and that there are better solutions for measuring tire pressure than your standard floor pump. Let me explain. Our studies have shown that a 5psi pressure difference can have a noticeable affect on aerodynamics. A standard floor pump is accurate to +/- 8psi. If you use a floor pump to measure pressure you could be 5 psi off in the wrong direction. Instead of a $2000 sensor, there are other more accurate and affordable gauges that can easily be carried in a bag and used to set pressure on race day. I understand that these are marginal gains, but people love marginal gains.

All when you've got 50% of buyers tossing the wrong tire size on there all together and using grossly 10psi too much or too little. Not even 1psi, but probably 10.

I think the best thing that could happen is the wheel suppliers agreeing on a once a year "shootout" at the same tunnel, same protocol. Not different days, different tunnels, different operators, slightly different protocols. Maybe even hand the wheels off to someone like "Car and Driver".

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:
When you combine his propensity for making stuff up like he did with the Flo letter, I give him 0.001% chance that he did not fabricate all of this data. Likely he is really just a liar likely with some sort of personality disorder.

Maybe i missed it, but how do we 100% know the letter is made up? Bad grammar for sure, but i think the slowtwitch boys (practicing in law) said bad grammer is not unheard of in legal circles (hey, my grammer and spelling (and typing) sucks, and i am well educated). Sadly, right now it is a he-said-she-said with one reputable side, and one questionable, based on public actions/comments (all imho). But we don’t know for sure. Maybe a 3rd party trolled hambini with the fake letter? He seems like the type that does better at making enemies than friends.

Again, lets see if the data gets published. The crappy part of all of this is that there is little data out there from independant sources... thus i want to believe that hambinis data is real. I still think it is... but just flawed, preventing any real conclusions from being made.

The sad part is that the data is out there, and i am 99%sure that only 96% of readers even think to question the data validity. Sales of chinese wheels and bontragger are sure to see a small bump.
Last edited by: Rocket_racing: Dec 19, 18 16:05
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Rocket_racing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocket_racing wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Maybe i missed it, but how do we know the letter is made up? Bad grammar for sure, but i think the slowtwitch boys (practicing in law) said bad grammer is not unheard of in legal circles (hey, my grammer and spelli g sucks, and i am well educated). Sadly, right now it is a he-said-she-said with one reputable side, and one questionable, based on public actions/comments (all imho).

I agree that the narcissism is strong in hambini (think 0b1 saying this). Mind you, it is not uncommon in the world of politics/phd/business/etc.

Again, lets see if the data gets published. The crappy part of all of this is that there is little data out there from independant sources... this i want to believe that hambinis data is real. I still think it is... but just flawed, preventing any real conclusions from being made.

1st you screwed up your quotes there and attributed what I said incorrectly.

On the Flo letter, there is also the fact that Flo publicly denied sending it.

Who in the world would publish that data? When a) it's available for free and b) they would (should) require him to provide proof and the protocol and he obviously will not do that.

I think you are not thinking rationally about this for some reason.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha... yeah i messed those quotes up pretty significantly. I will blame the iphone. :-)

I admit i am probably giving hambini more credit than he has earned, but i think that is the scientist/lawyer in me. At this point i see no evidence that his data is either real or fake. I have opinion, including on his character, but that is it.

And his work will be rejected for publication if it is deemed flawed. Mind you, there is lots of crap research “published” out there, so to me, published won’t get my immediate acceptance either.

I must say, if there is a bright side to this, it is that i learned a lot about wheel aerodynamics reading the ww thread, and especially this forum.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

Maybe i missed it, but how do we know the letter is made up? Bad grammar for sure, but i think the slowtwitch boys (practicing in law) said bad grammer is not unheard of in legal circles (hey, my grammer and spelli g sucks, and i am well educated). Sadly, right now it is a he-said-she-said with one reputable side, and one questionable, based on public actions/comments (all imho).

I agree that the narcissism is strong in hambini (think 0b1 saying this). Mind you, it is not uncommon in the world of politics/phd/business/etc.

Again, lets see if the data gets published. The crappy part of all of this is that there is little data out there from independant sources... this i want to believe that hambinis data is real. I still think it is... but just flawed, preventing any real conclusions from being made.

1st you screwed up your quotes there and attributed what I said incorrectly.

On the Flo letter, there is also the fact that Flo publicly denied sending it.

Who in the world would publish that data? When a) it's available for free and b) they would (should) require him to provide proof and the protocol and he obviously will not do that.

I think you are not thinking rationally about this for some reason.

In addition:
- He first stated there were TWO letters (from Flo and another company)...where's the "redacted version" of THAT one?

- The offer to submit the data for peer review was stated here on ST, ostensibly by a comrade of Hambini who was posting on his user account (since they supposedly couldn't figure out the account verification process...can anyone say "sock-puppet"?). Anyone thinking that this "testing" will ever get written up and submitted for peer review is kidding themselves.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His paper would never make it to reviewers, but if it did I'd love to read their comments.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Anyone thinking that this "testing" will ever get written up and submitted for peer review is kidding themselves.

I think he'd have been fine if he'd just posted it as-is, saying, "This is some hobby data I made in a wind tunnel on my spare time. Take it or leave it. If you don't like it, GFY." Instead he tried to make the claim that it's scientific-grade data, and started answering *some* questions, but evading others. Those two things ended up exposing him pretty badly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The crappy part of all of this is that there is little data out there from independant sources... thus i want to believe that hambinis data is real.

The implication here is that Hambini is "independant"?

Uhm... no?

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fredly wrote:

The implication here is that Hambini is "independant"?

Uhm... no?

I think it's fair to say that there's no evidence that he has a direct financial stake in any wheel manufacturer. Which I think is what is intended to be meant by "independent."

It's different for the bottom bracket situation, which he clearly has a financial stake in because he sells them.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like he said.

If the data gets published, i will consider it’s value. If not (and i agree, likely not), than it will be a drop in a river.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
Rocket_racing wrote:
maybe he did not single them out in the original print of his article/data, and only went after them post lawyer letter?

Just so you know, there was no lawyer letter. You can read our thoughts on all of Hambini's accusations here: https://flocycling.com/.../Hambini-Accusations

*golf clap*

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...and hambini.com appears to be down hard.

Looks like Flo's legal team finally succeeded with that Cease and Desist!
Last edited by: trail: Feb 10, 19 16:12
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps this whole drama is over. Part of me regrets ever starting this thread. The only good thing to have come from it (IMO) were some of the revelations from Josh@Silca.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's back up for me.

Loved your work with the pink, Trail!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Back up for me as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so he keeps updating his blog. Most recently talking about flos bearings. Too long to cut and paste but here is the link:

Also claiming that Flo didn’t account for spokes during their testing.

https://www.hambini.com/...hich-one-is-fastest/

Maurice
Last edited by: mauricemaher: Mar 16, 19 14:06
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not saying that he isn't a bit of a knob or the FLO letter isn't a hoax, but I do believe his testing TBH.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

• there are other more accurate and affordable gauges that can easily be carried in a bag and used to set pressure on race day,

Care to share what these would be?

Thanks!

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
I'm not saying that he isn't a bit of a knob or the FLO letter isn't a hoax, but I do believe his testing TBH.

I believe he's doing *something* but it's not entirely clear what since he's so opaque about what he does.
Quote Reply

Prev Next