Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Yes, I know that's what the WT plots are... which is why we need to put the calculated pressure due to yaw in the direction of travel as well.

That would be doing it twice. The plots ARE drag in the direction of travel for a given apparent wind angle already. It's only the component of the total drag force which acts along the axis of the bike.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Toby wrote:

And your ban over on WW is bullshit. I think he was making that up; I can't find a reference to it. There is a different reference to one, but I can't find the one he referred to. If it's that obscure, hanging you out to dry for it is... well I just said bullshit but that's what it is.

Well, it is what it is. Lame, yes...but not surprising for that place. It's more of a "timeout" though (just a one week ban).

How about Hambini immediately circumventing his 1 week ban by creating a new account and posting a reply anyway...and the resultant penalty is just another 1 week ban for his new account? That's an odd moderation technique :-/

Yeah that very much too. Most places I'm aware of you're lucky if that is anything other than a permaban.

And... any thoughts on my actual aero question?

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Last edited by: Toby: Oct 31, 18 3:22
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:

Chris @Flo are you watching? If you're inclined, it would be helpful to know more details regarding your study on real world yaw.

I'm definitely watching. I'm not sure what info you are looking for but here is a graph showing our yaw distributions from the study.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Toby wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Toby wrote:

And your ban over on WW is bullshit. I think he was making that up; I can't find a reference to it. There is a different reference to one, but I can't find the one he referred to. If it's that obscure, hanging you out to dry for it is... well I just said bullshit but that's what it is.

Well, it is what it is. Lame, yes...but not surprising for that place. It's more of a "timeout" though (just a one week ban).

How about Hambini immediately circumventing his 1 week ban by creating a new account and posting a reply anyway...and the resultant penalty is just another 1 week ban for his new account? That's an odd moderation technique :-/

Yeah that very much too. Most places I'm aware of you're lucky if that is anything other than a permaban.

And... any thoughts on my actual aero question?

I've only used BestBikeSplit as a trial, and I don't recall if you choose particular wheel model when selecting equipment or not...in any case, I do know that folks like cyclenutnz who do their own modeling keep quite the database of aero equipment and their drag vs. yaw plots.

But yeah...we have to remember that the wheels contribute a small fraction of the total drag in the first place, so the differences between them can easily be "lost in the noise" when comparing a model using steady-state drag data vs. actual results. Even so, the models do REALLY WELL when given quality inputs, so that "noise" is actually quite small.

Of course, all of that above ALSO makes me highly suspect of Hambini's testing, especially since he's supposedly testing with a live rider in a not very aero position in the first place.

Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
That would be doing it twice. The plots ARE drag in the direction of travel for a given apparent wind angle already. It's only the component of the total drag force which acts along the axis of the bike.

Right, but what dynamic pressure value are they using? I thought Kraig Willett stated years back that the LSWT corrected for dynamic pressure in the X direction. They didn't just use the tunnel value. Rather the measured X force and cos(yaw)*tunnel pressure were used to determine CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
I'm definitely watching. I'm not sure what info you are looking for but here is a graph showing our yaw distributions from the study.

Thanks, you did a great job of detailing your instrumentation and protocol here: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...n-series-step-1.html

So you would have had traffic but I'm guessing not a lot? I also wondered how much the wind and yaw fluctuated; frequency and amplitude.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris,

If I'm reading your aero chart correctly, the difference between the 90mm and 60mm front wheel is 7 seconds over 180km. Is that correct? Seems very small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Canadian wrote:

Thanks, you did a great job of detailing your instrumentation and protocol here: http://flocycling.blogspot.com/...n-series-step-1.html

So you would have had traffic but I'm guessing not a lot? I also wondered how much the wind and yaw fluctuated; frequency and amplitude.

We definitely did have some traffic and it's easy to see when that happens in the data. Visually the wind vane makes quite a jump while riding.

We are working with a new system right now that should produce much better data. I'm looking forward to crunching all of the numbers and sharing the data.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Chris,

If I'm reading your aero chart correctly, the difference between the 90mm and 60mm front wheel is 7 seconds over 180km. Is that correct? Seems very small.

Yes it is very small. I actually just finished a blog article that will go live soon that mentions this. In Kona for example, the difference between a front 60 and 90 is one second.

Lately, on this forum, on our podcast, and in the latest blog article I've been talking about Small Magnitude and Large Magnitude changes. We've been suggesting that people worry about the large magnitude stuff and not focus on the small magnitude stuff—for 99% of us that is. Look for our latest blog article for a full explanation.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Right, but what dynamic pressure value are they using? I thought Kraig Willett stated years back that the LSWT corrected for dynamic pressure in the X direction. They didn't just use the tunnel value. Rather the measured X force and cos(yaw)*tunnel pressure were used to determine CdA.

Right, they do the cosine beta squared correction on the data on the force values.

But now you've got me wondering about what I stated above about multiplying the CxA by the apparent wind speed^2, or the axial component^2...and I'm in no condition to work it out right now...sorry.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize if this has already been addressed but 14 pages is a lot to go through. I made it through 8. I am curious how spoke count and shape might influence the tests. It would seem rather important when comparing one wheel brand to another.

Thanks,

Jim

Jim Lukanich
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [jlukanich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jlukanich wrote:
I apologize if this has already been addressed but 14 pages is a lot to go through. I made it through 8. I am curious how spoke count and shape might influence the tests. It would seem rather important when comparing one wheel brand to another.

Thanks,

Jim

more spokes = more drag
rounder spokes = more drag
external nipple = more drag

importance ? a watt or 2 maybe
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [jlukanich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're presupposing that we can make conclusions from the data. The stated experimental error is +-2.5%, which is +-15W for the 50km/hr case. And Josh Poertner (who has done a lot of WT tests at Zipp) doubts he achieved that with a full rider setup over months of testing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A different study, but November Cycles did an aero test of CX-Ray spokes vs Laser and came up with a difference of 1W

https://novemberbicycles.com/...of-lasers-vs-cx-rays
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi

I missed something, which charts are you referring too in order to derive this 7s delta ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jlukanich wrote:

Thanks,

Jim

We've studied both of these items and have full reports on our blog. Here are the quick answers to your questions.

Spoke Count: These are the results of our standard build rear wheel with 24 spokes vs. our clydesdale build rear wheel with 28 spokes.

Spoke Shape: These are the results of Sapim CX-Ray spokes vs. round spokes. We use Sapim CX-Ray spokes in our wheels.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Last edited by: Canadian: Nov 1, 18 12:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
[

We've studied both of these items and have full reports on our blog. Here are the quick answers to your questions.

Spoke Count: These are the results of our standard build rear wheel with 24 spokes vs. our clydesdale build rear wheel with 28 spokes.

Spoke Shape: These are the results of Sapim CX-Ray spokes vs. round spokes. We use Sapim CX-Ray spokes in our wheels.

Take care,

Bit of a tangent, here, but I noticed the FLO 30 complete wheels have disappeared from the web store. Are your plans to only sell those as rims going forward?

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
Hi

I missed something, which charts are you referring too in order to derive this 7s delta ?

https://www.flocycling.com/aero.php

Scroll to bottom of page
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
Canadian wrote:
[

Take care,

Bit of a tangent, here, but I noticed the FLO 30 complete wheels have disappeared from the web store. Are your plans to only sell those as rims going forward?

We have discontinued the FLO 30s. The only rims left on the site are what we have left in stock. When those sell out, the product will be done.

Will there be a replacement aluminum product? Likely not. I'll never say never, but there are no current plans to update/re-release the product.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh wow, Hambini delivers.
Updated post with Flo's letter.
https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicycle-wheel-aerodynamics-which-one-is-fastest/

That certainly doesn't looks good for you guys. It's a disappointing response regardless of Hambini questionable behavior.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [TiCass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiCass wrote:
https://www.hambini.com/blog/post/bicycle-wheel-aerodynamics-which-one-is-fastest/

That certainly doesn't looks good for you guys. It's a disappointing response regardless of Hambini questionable behavior.

Except for the fact that we never sent that letter. Neither did anyone representing us.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then, it's defamation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Canadian wrote:
TiCass wrote:

Except for the fact that we never sent that letter. Neither did anyone representing us.

Dear Sir, I am a Nigerian Prince and kindly request your bank account to deposit you a sum of one million dollars.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [TiCass] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TiCass wrote:

The interesting thing is that that letter:

1) does not appear to demand the Flo results be taken down as originally claimed
2) contains no specific legal threat
3) instead requests HR discipline for use of company equipment and rude public behavior
4) their item 2 does not hold any legal water whatsoever
5) the first two instances of "see attached" have the A capitalized; the third does not
6) their item 3 does not have a period
7) their item 1 lacks a space between "3" and "hours"
8) is redacted as to the legal firm in question ("legal firm")

On that last point, I'm not a lawyer, but what expectation is there that a nastygram is private and revealing the "legal firm" in question would open the recipient to further action? Legal action is not private, so if "they" decided to follow through this would all be public anyway. Without the name of a company to follow up on this is no level of proof and doesn't even sound like any lawyer letter I've seen. It does, in fact, sound much more like Hambini's own writing style. If that's the case...

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Updated: A Comprehensive (But Controversial) Wind Tunnel Wheel Shootout [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it's an internet stunt from Hambini, it's an insanely high risk stunt. He exposed himself, his career and his company to very real legal consequences. That would be a dumb thing to do.
Quote Reply

Prev Next