Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

Not to mention that he's now critiquing swim strokes of pro's...albeit with disclaimers, but if you're disclaimer is "I don't know that much about swimming, you should look to Gerry for advice," maybe you shouldn't be giving advice.

"The person on top of the mountain didn't fall there." - unkown

also rule 5

Re: Triathlon Taren [boobooaboo] [ In reply to ]

boobooaboo wrote:
Not to mention that he's now critiquing swim strokes of pro's...albeit with disclaimers, but if you're disclaimer is "I don't know that much about swimming, you should look to Gerry for advice," maybe you shouldn't be giving advice.

I noticed that. His critique is fine, so far as it goes, but he misses a lot of the details that actually matter.

The other thing is that I’m not really sure of the point of analyzing pros strokes in that manner. It’s one thing to use video of the pros to demonstrate some concept that you are talking about, and it’s quite another to deconstruct someone’s stroke, which may or may not have anything to do with their success (or lack of) in the water.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
The other thing is that I’m not really sure of the point of analyzing pros strokes in that manner

Content=clicks=revenue

I'd watch his videos a few years ago when he was explaining a few beginner things and I was starting out. Didn't take it as absolute fact, but watched some. Now it seems he's venturing into a completely different territory. And from the looks of recent videos (I hadn't watched in a long time until recently), hes cashing in on sponsorships and such. I now more now and it just seems a little harder to watch.

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:

I noticed that. His critique is fine, so far as it goes, but he misses a lot of the details that actually matter.

The other thing is that I’m not really sure of the point of analyzing pros strokes in that manner. It’s one thing to use video of the pros to demonstrate some concept that you are talking about, and it’s quite another to deconstruct someone’s stroke, which may or may not have anything to do with their success (or lack of) in the water.

He started doing this last year with Pros at Kona when it came to their running form. Like I said, when we found him last year we thought he was great for beginners [us] and had a lot of knowledge to share. Now...he's actually hurting beginners with the crap he's spewing.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

He started doing this last year with Pros at Kona when it came to their running form. Like I said, when we found him last year we thought he was great for beginners [us] and had a lot of knowledge to share. Now...he's actually hurting beginners with the crap he's spewing.

First episode I watched was his bike fit video.
What a fucking disaster!

Re: Triathlon Taren [Jordano] [ In reply to ]

Since the training platform disaster I unsubscribed and at this point youtube won`t give me any of his vlogs as suggestions anymore.

So clicked the link and watched....the first 3 min at least

Giving nutritional advice without any training/degree base on what you learnt on the internet is dangerous - especially when your views are mainly newbies that are probably coming in the sport to lose any kind of weight.

Swim technique critique....even tho you were never a competitive swimmer is ok...everybody is entitle to an opinion I guess. Bad bike fit....I paid for mine and I keep modifying it every single season ( just like Lionel Sanders lol )

But nutrition is something important not only to triathletes but to every single person. Even nutritionists ask you a sh*t ton of questions and ask for blood work before recommending you something.

Hope people when watching it understand that everybody is different and what works for Taren, or me doesn't necessarily works for you!

Re: Triathlon Taren [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]

FaKaspar wrote:
Since the training platform disaster I unsubscribed and at this point youtube won`t give me any of his vlogs as suggestions anymore.

Giving nutritional advice without any training/degree base on what you learnt on the internet is dangerous - especially when your views are mainly newbies that are probably coming in the sport to lose any kind of weight.

Swim technique critique....even tho you were never a competitive swimmer is ok...everybody is entitle to an opinion I guess. Bad bike fit....I paid for mine and I keep modifying it every single season ( just like Lionel Sanders lol )

But nutrition is something important not only to triathletes but to every single person. Even nutritionists ask you a sh*t ton of questions and ask for blood work before recommending you something.

Hope people when watching it understand that everybody is different and what works for Taren, or me doesn't necessarily works for you!

Fwiw, the entire business model of many on Youtubers is to focus on producing content, content, content. The really successful Youtubers actually preach this, that it is necessarily about quality, it is on quantity, and sometimes ruffling some feathers is good. There are of course Youtubers who don't focus on this strategy and have also become successful, but usually on a smaller scale. At the end of the day we are talking about Taren, he is gaining viewers, and he mostly instructs newbie athletes anyway that may not know any better and treat anything that comes out of his mouth as gospel. The majority of those viewers are not going to come here to learn otherwise. It is what it is at this point.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Triathlon Taren [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Well the highest paid youtuber this year was a 7 yr old boy talking about toys.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
FaKaspar wrote:

Fwiw, the entire business model of many on Youtubers is to focus on producing content, content, content. The really successful Youtubers actually preach this, that it is necessarily about quality, it is on quantity, and sometimes ruffling some feathers is good. There are of course Youtubers who don't focus on this strategy and have also become successful, but usually on a smaller scale. At the end of the day we are talking about Taren, he is gaining viewers, and he mostly instructs newbie athletes anyway that may not know any better and treat anything that comes out of his mouth as gospel. The majority of those viewers are not going to come here to learn otherwise. It is what it is at this point.

Yeah, I kind of know that. when I realized it decide not to give my attention ( clicks/views ) anymore. I still think GTN is a good example of responsible content. A guy that was in the pro circuit and an Olympian ( even tho was not at triathlon ) is way better source of content.

As an example: morning shake vid published 12/3 right now - 12/8 12:16 - 4,047 views
GNT's vid about cycling workout published 12/4 ( sponsored by trainingpeaks btw ) right now - 12/8 12:19 - 13.610 views

Wonder what is the best strategy!

As my father once told me - If we had the Soccer ( Football ) World Cup every year nobody would care that much.

Again don't want to be called a hater. Constructive criticism is something people should embrace more nowadays.

FaKaspar wrote:
Yeah, I kind of know that. when I realized it decide not to give my attention ( clicks/views ) anymore. I still think GTN is a good example of responsible content. A guy that was in the pro circuit and an Olympian ( even tho was not at triathlon ) is way better source of content.

As an example: morning shake vid published 12/3 right now - 12/8 12:16 - 4,047 views
GNT's vid about cycling workout published 12/4 ( sponsored by trainingpeaks btw ) right now - 12/8 12:19 - 13.610 views

GCN (GTN's "parent" channel) is even better in my opinion. They have an ex-world champion TT and ex-UK champion on staff who will give you great advice, but will also tell you "science doesn't know this" if, in fact, science doesn't know. Emma Pooley is great. Si is the better personality, but Emma is the best for knowledge.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.

I heard this startling fact via the CBC (radio) this week. Gob-smacked that the kid (and his family would assume) pulls in multiple $millions in revenue from YouTube vids.

Proves that content is king, but also that the internet is a bit out of control, and "quality" is in the eye of the beholder!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog

Re: Triathlon Taren [Richard Blaine] [ In reply to ]

GCN is awesome, informative, and often subtly hilarious.

Back when I first heard about TT, on ST of course .. this thread in fact, I checked it out too see what the fuss was about.

IMO (obv) guy is a 1st class tool, hawking bullshit with little to no credentials or qualifications. He knows just enough to be incredibly dangerous to himself and others. He also says some flat-out untruths that anyone with a brain can refute. I'd say lies but it appears to be he's convinced of their fact.

He's just a goofball with a camera and a platform and hopefully as he continues down this path of idiotic and unqualified advice people turn him off. They'd be well served to find an actual coach, buddy up with knowledgeable training partners, scour ST for lots of good content. This guy TT is going in so many directions how could a beginner possibly stay on course listening to this fool?

Sorry, I know that's harsh. But, don't pretend yourself an expert when it's so obviously just sponsor-knobbing.

Richard Blaine wrote:
Si is the better personality, but Emma is the best for knowledge.

Agree. Dan Loyd is also great. I'm not a big fan of Oliver Bridgewood for some reason. He's pretty knowledgeable, but something about him just bothers me.

Re: Triathlon Taren [trail] [ In reply to ]

trail wrote:
Richard Blaine wrote:
Si is the better personality, but Emma is the best for knowledge.

Agree. Dan Loyd is also great. I'm not a big fan of Oliver Bridgewood for some reason. He's pretty knowledgeable, but something about him just bothers me.

Too British probably. And I don't mean that in a bad way; he just has a very British demeanor and sense of humor.

Citizen of the world, former drunkard. Resident Traumatic Brain Injury advocate.

Richard Blaine wrote:
Too British probably. And I don't mean that in a bad way; he just has a very British demeanor and sense of humor.

I was going to say too American! Though I'm pure American, I pretty much only watch BBC, and am a huge anglophile.

Just my hangup - he's probably a great guy.

FaKaspar wrote:

Wonder what is the best strategy!

As my father once told me - If we had the Soccer ( Football ) World Cup every year nobody would care that much.

Again don't want to be called a hater. Constructive criticism is something people should embrace more nowadays.

GTN is a great content. Heather is a fantastic triathlete that just keeps getting faster. If she wants to, she could probably earn her pro license.

I know we've talked previously that volume is part of how you grow...GCN, GTN, GCN Tech all know this. They all have a main show and then three to four other pieces of well produced content for the other days of the week. The content is responsible and informative for both the beginner and the hardcore. Taren...it's just whatever the latest snake oil is it seems.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Fleck] [ In reply to ]

Fleck wrote:

I heard this startling fact via the CBC (radio) this week. Gob-smacked that the kid (and his family would assume) pulls in multiple $millions in revenue from YouTube vids.

Proves that content is king, but also that the internet is a bit out of control, and "quality" is in the eye of the beholder!

Go watch one of his recent videos. Dare I say the quality is good both in video and in content.

Re: Triathlon Taren [M~] [ In reply to ]

I'm also a fan of GCN, they seem to upping their production values a bit and delving into some more serious issues too. This one is quite good and I'm sure will speak to some ST'ers too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_2bybJWQFg

As for Taren he sounds very sincere and I sometimes click on his videos but the expertise level just isn't there and I look elsewhere for content.

"They know f_ck-all over at Slowtwitch"
- Lionel Sanders

To echo this...Production values for Ryan's Toy Reviews are off the chain, but I'm sure he can afford it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zIhZhg9Glc

give it a year and my 11 year old will be able to swim 100 Breast as fast as Taren can swim 100 free... His 100 free is already faster and he is no where near the fastest kid his age on his team at the moment.

https://www.instagram.com/...;igshid=rx5gotbl9098

this next one just blows my mind... 9 years old when this was swam ...

https://www.instagram.com/...igshid=14sd0o9ckzakx

Still wondering why he was DQd in a 400 and 1500 in his one and only masters meet

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Dec 8, 18 20:34

Comparing GTN to Taren is dumb - GTN has the benefit of being under GCN, and I'd wager a bet they get favorable treatment from Youtube algorithms. Futhermore, the reason people like Taren is he's not an ex-pro athlete. Newbie athletes like being able to relate to the people, heck even other people too. And I like GTN perfectly well but trying to draw lines makes no sense. They both talk about triathlon. That's about where the similarities end

The amount of space that Taren takes up in your head is roughly the size of Texas

Re: Triathlon Taren [realAB] [ In reply to ]

realAB wrote:
Still wondering why he was DQd in a 400 and 1500 in his one and only masters meet

You should stop and move on with your life

Go watch one of his recent videos. Dare I say the quality is good both in video and in content.

Thanks, Mark - I'll have a look.

I always find it fascinating how something like this can become such a massive phenomenon, and is still somewhat "underground" - but I'm not a parent of a young toddler/kid anymore, so it's not info/content that I'm actively seeking out either!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog

Re: Triathlon Taren [Bosox99104] [ In reply to ]

Bosox99104 wrote:
realAB wrote:

You should stop and move on with your life

Do we no what race it was

Prev Next