Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

Slightly off topic, but since we're talking triathletes who make YouTube videos: what's up with Calum Milward (Cupcakes with Cal)? I love his videos and he's mostly disappeared. I get that he might want to be more serious or focus on training, but making a video can't be that time consuming.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Last edited by: georged: Jan 24, 18 12:12

Some of the product placement and blatant commercials are annoying, but he's passionate about growing the sport.

Re: Triathlon Taren [randomtriguy] [ In reply to ]

I watched some of his early stuff but it was very beginner orientated and a little behind the dialogue level you get to read here. I was questioning some of the factual accuracy on his earlier videos. I dont watch any more, I find it a little annoying and wordy, it takes too long to get to the point.

I do however really like GTN, to me it is more entertaining.

Re: Triathlon Taren [endosch2] [ In reply to ]

endosch2 wrote:
I watched some of his early stuff but it was very beginner orientated and a little behind the dialogue level you get to read here. I was questioning some of the factual accuracy on his earlier videos. I dont watch any more, I find it a little annoying and wordy, it takes too long to get to the point.

I do however really like GTN, to me it is more entertaining.
Taren takes way too long to get to the meaty bits sometimes. But generally good info for beginners.

At least he's comfortable on camera, unlike Mark and Heather on GTN... *cringe*

Re: Triathlon Taren [MattyK] [ In reply to ]

They've (mark and heather) have gotten a LOT better.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Still nowhere near the chemistry or personality of GCN though. I can understand it takes time, but I've basically given up on watching GTN as a result. I notice they've got a new guy in though who is a much more natural presenter.

I really like Tarens work. He is very unpolished but is getting better and heck I admire him for giving it a crack. Plus he Is drawing more newbies to the sport which can only be a good thing.

Have to agree though that he needs to learn how to avoid feeding the trolls-can’t believe he did a whole vid on responding about some guy he banned from posting on his channel.

Re: Triathlon Taren [dunno] [ In reply to ]

Podcasts are very good,he has had some big names in cast
His ultraswimming achievements are also worth a mention

MattyK wrote:
Still nowhere near the chemistry or personality of GCN though. I can understand it takes time, but I've basically given up on watching GTN as a result. I notice they've got a new guy in though who is a much more natural presenter.

Mark Buckingham is the other guy... he's legit too, he smashed up the field in the Elite Race at Du Worlds in Penticton... he ended up with the bronze, but was by far the aggressor on the bike (he also has some solid 70.3 results too)... He trains with the Leeds group that includes guys like the Brownlees... He's a far more natural presenter for sure and is a strong add for them especially when it comes to some of the technique stuff...

In terms of TriTaren... I haven't watched too much of his stuff, but did watch his videos around Kona last year, and they were pretty decent. He's certainly geared more towards the beginner crowd, but is also less jargony and more approachable...

Re: Triathlon Taren [Trauma] [ In reply to ]

Quote:
Mark Buckingham is the other guy..

Yeah, he came in and is just flat out better than the other two. Seems to make the other two better when he is in a clip with them as well.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Trauma] [ In reply to ]

Trauma wrote:
MattyK wrote:

Mark Buckingham is the other guy... he's legit too, he smashed up the field in the Elite Race at Du Worlds in Penticton... he ended up with the bronze, but was by far the aggressor on the bike (he also has some solid 70.3 results too)... He trains with the Leeds group that includes guys like the Brownlees... He's a far more natural presenter for sure and is a strong add for them especially when it comes to some of the technique stuff...

In terms of TriTaren... I haven't watched too much of his stuff, but did watch his videos around Kona last year, and they were pretty decent. He's certainly geared more towards the beginner crowd, but is also less jargony and more approachable...

Yeah, adding him has made a big difference, but I think the other 2 (Mark T and Heather) have improved a lot since the first shows. A couple of the bits they do need work, like the captioning contest (but then I guess you can only work with what people send in...)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

JasoninHalifax wrote:
A couple of the bits they do need work, like the captioning contest (but then I guess you can only work with what people send in...)

They might get more to work with if the prize wasn't a swimming cap.
Last edited by: SteveM: Jan 25, 18 10:51

Re: Triathlon Taren [CU427] [ In reply to ]

Great topic CU427.

Big fan of Taren. Both his vlogs and podcast are definitely worth checking out.

I find the vlogs insightful, entertaining and overall fun. Most of all I like his approach as I believe he is genuine in sharing his journey and his willingness to share the learnings along the way.

Keep up the great work Taren!

Taren's podcast is great. The videos are a bit more beginner focused, but I watch the videos he makes that cover a topic that I need to know more about. I watched the one on the STAC trainer recently, which is a very interesting piece of engineering.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com

I've been watching him now for almost a full year and i have a lot of respect for what he is doing: he's basically given up a career in the daily grind to put all his effort into something that he is passionate about, and help people along the way that are trying to get into the sport.

Now, 2 things to consider:

1) Bills are not going to pay themselves - so the ultimate point of all of this is to generate income from it, and the biggest market for that model is not going to be the elite 3% in the sport. So he has to cater to all those new athletes trying to start in the sport. This alone is a direct contribution towards the sport and its growth (business or not)

2) Giving up a good paying job to dedicate your life to something you are passionate about, takes a S*HT ton of courage, specially when that thing you are passionate about is not necessarily the biggest income earner at the professional level (anyone know what a top Triathlete earns in terms of income?)

So yes, maybe his content might not be for everyone, and he may have his qwirks, but he I dont think he is tryign to appeal to the sub 9hr IM ST'ers in here ;) so I say good for him and keep at it!!!

PS: I think he has a video editor girl that helps her with all the content management.

3toronto Triathlon

Re: Triathlon Taren [rrheisler] [ In reply to ]

I respect him.

He and I started into triathlon at about the same time. I think a lot of people at the advanced end of the sport are looking more to advanced coaches, and that's super valid.

That said, I remember that when I started (before he was even making videos) it was really, really tough to find good triathlon content on YouTube. When you're brand new and literally can't swim three strokes, hearing a Kona contender or former Olympian is useful, but it's also sort of like... "I want someone a little closer to where I'm at." I think he does a good job in that void.

Recently, I started making my own videos after getting off my butt. I'm certainly no super-FOP, decade in athlete, but I've been biking a long time, I feel like I'm a pretty 'normal' person, and my goal is to just help convince those other 'normal' people that yeah, you can get into the sport without spending 25 hours/week at it. I don't know what Taren's goals are, but I have no desire to quit my day job (which I love.) I just like getting on forums and helping out from the perspective of being a couple years down the road from a beginner and sharing my experiences.

It's tough making videos, it can be awkward and shitty to read the comments (I've had people just comment 'Go fuck yourself' randomly,) and it adds time to an already full schedule. Even if I don't agree with everything he says, I appreciate the time he puts out there.

As I see it, ultimately, the more people making content for beginners, the more beginners will feel comfortable getting into the sport. That's good for them and good for the future of our events.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.

Re: Triathlon Taren [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]

I watched some of your videos. Pretty good! I liked the Suunto one as I have been on the fence about buying it. Still undecided but I feel better informed now.
As for Taren, he is doing a good job and has gotten progressively better. I look forward to see how long he can sustain this

Re: Triathlon Taren [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]

surfNJmatt wrote:
I would like to see a podium winner or coach do a youtube channel, hate to get training advice from an average age grouper. Def is great for the beginner Triathlete fan base

The British GCN channel is great, though. Though one of them is former Cervelo Test Team, none of them were huge celebrity athletes or coaches. They're pretty sharp, though.

Though they get some good interviews. The recent "how to climb nasty" bit with Emma Pooley was great. It's the first "how to climb like a pro" bit I've ever seen that was any good.

I met Taren!! Saw him on the attendees list, then met him friday morning of the Triathlon Business Int'l conference as I was setting up the water and goodies for the runners and riders.
https://www.youtube.com/...YJy_uo9DTAXkXMt81dmN

Karen ST Concierge
Last edited by: STConcierge: Jan 30, 18 12:59

Can't say I'm a fan. I've posted a lot of serious questions that he just doesn't answer because he thinks people are trolls. He's pretty bad at SM interactions overall. I know a CEO of multiple companies that responds to every email, every DM, and every tweet.

I also dislike his position on strength training. He's like full on don't do it when you're in the high end of your Ironman training. There's a point to periodization, just as you taper off your aerobic work you taper off on your strength work before a race. In addition Triathlon I also play Rugby. Depending on what you're doing, out of season work is four days of lifting.

I've built a 3 Day split that can become a two day split for when I'm in the high season with Rugby or Triathlon based on my recovery. He seems to only lift in the winter in the off-season, maybe that's weird, but you see plenty of pros lifting hard during their season...it may only be twice a week due to sport specific volume. If he did maintenance strength training during the season he'd probably get less injured...end rant.

And the whole I'm gonna start a separate podcast for Q&A rather than just do Q&A was whack.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Jan 31, 18 15:14

I've been watching his videos on and off for the past year and a half or so. He's steadily getting better at it. He loves the sport, and puts his heart and soul into it. What is really accommodating to the masses is that he is a regular Joe-Schmo. He has never done a full 140.6, and I don't believe plans on doing a full anytime soon. He's done two 70.3's, and I believe qualified for the 70.3 WC. He exerted himself to the point of an hour visit to the medical tent doing so. He has a small staff, and his wife (NTK) is a huge supporter and sports reporter. He doesn't take himself too seriously and speaks from his heart a lot.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Formulagod] [ In reply to ]

I just wish he would edit his vids himself. Look at Casey Neistat for example-he is a one man band who pumped out daily blogs for over a year of a very high quality all whilst also having a hell of a lot going on building a side business which he ended up selling for millions.

Love Tarens work, love his content and think he is quite funny but getting the teenage girl to do his edits just strikes me as lazy unfortunately. He shouldn’t complain about running on a shoe string and at the same time be paying someone to do something he could do himself
Last edited by: dunno: Feb 1, 18 19:56

Re: Triathlon Taren [dunno] [ In reply to ]

dunno wrote:
I just wish he would edit his vids himself. Look at Casey Neistat for example-he is a one man band who pumped out daily blogs for over a year of a very high quality all whilst also having a hell of a lot going on building a side business which he ended up selling for millions.

Love Tarens work, love his content and think he is quite funny but getting the teenage girl to do his edits just strikes me as lazy unfortunately. He shouldn’t complain about running on a shoe string and at the same time be paying someone to do something he could do himself

For the record on this. Mel is his sole employee. She does edit his videos...but she's also doing social media content creation for his actual job. Which is boutique social media management for small businesses...instead of crapping on that...saying he just wants to do triathlon for time he should be pumping that up. Also shutting it down and not willing to accept new clients is just limiting his earning potential. For being a former financial planner he's not planning for himself that well. Bless NTK...she seems a saint.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
dunno wrote:

For the record on this. Mel is his sole employee. She does edit his videos...but she's also doing social media content creation for his actual job. Which is boutique social media management for small businesses...instead of crapping on that...saying he just wants to do triathlon for time he should be pumping that up. Also shutting it down and not willing to accept new clients is just limiting his earning potential. For being a former financial planner he's not planning for himself that well. Bless NTK...she seems a saint.

I thought he closed POST to concentrate solely on Triathlon Taren?

Re: Triathlon Taren [STConcierge] [ In reply to ]

STConcierge wrote:
I met Taren!! Saw him on the attendees list, then met him friday morning of the Triathlon Business Int'l conference as I was setting up the water and goodies for the runners and riders.
https://www.youtube.com/...YJy_uo9DTAXkXMt81dmN

x2

I hadn’t heard of him before but spent some time talking with him and he seems like a good dude. I’ve since been watching some of his content and while I’m probably not going to ever consider myself a trainiac I think he does a good job.

Prev Next