Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [dunno] [ In reply to ]

Uhh if he is getting paid/free stuff that would go against the like 500 times he tells you he pays for the platform

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:
I just watched (well, listened to) his video where he "reviews" Tower26.

He really needs to NOT do that.

Agreed, but this was less of a review and more like an infomercial. He got Gerry's permission to do this video, no doubt.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport

Re: Triathlon Taren [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]

Jorgan wrote:
I wonder how many others, like me, just get on with our training and watch no Triathlon content online, and don't read Tri magazines? The most I do nowadays is post occasionally on ST, and look for interesting advice/experiences here and on another UK Forum. I prefer the feel of community where people are relatively 'anonymous' and the propensity for self promotion is less. I can't put my finger on why I'm so 'unengaged'; whether it's a generational thing (I'm 45) and whether after 26 years of Tri I'm just needing other 'entertainment' aside from actually doing the sport...I'm a doer rather than a watcher. I'd rather watch videos on car reviews or dudes reviewing survival gear these days!

I totally understand where you're coming from re: just getting on with your training, but a lot of people are different. Let me reframe it: You're here, talking about training. Now of course, absolutely, there is a lot you can learn and a lot you can share. YouTube is really same. Now sure, the audiences aren't quite the same, and people learn and prefer content differently. Heck, most of what we talk about here could be had out of books that came out most of a decade ago. Point at all isn't to say one is better than the other, but some people just like watching videos. For me, I started making videos for twofold reasons: One, I really, really love talking to beginners and sharing my perspctive. I'm not nearly as advanced as probably the majority of people here, but in some ways, I view that as a positive. I distinctly remember how shit I was at a lot of things, and what I did to get through that. I found myself in forums giving the same advice over and over and over. Making a video one time locks the knowledge down and helps far more people than I ever could one on one. Secondly, it helps break up the training. I like design, marketing, branding, video, and photography, as well as training. These are things I'd be doing anyway, so this additional challenge of content creation during training actually gives me more to enjoy.

Speaking of survival stuff, check out Haze Outdoors on Youtube. Probably not for everyone, but I think the dude is exactly the kind of guy you just want a beer or 5 with. He's got an IM calf tattoo too.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]

Jorgan wrote:
I wonder how many others, like me, just get on with our training and watch no Triathlon content online, and don't read Tri magazines? The most I do nowadays is post occasionally on ST, and look for interesting advice/experiences here and on another UK Forum. I prefer the feel of community where people are relatively 'anonymous' and the propensity for self promotion is less. I can't put my finger on why I'm so 'unengaged'; whether it's a generational thing (I'm 45) and whether after 26 years of Tri I'm just needing other 'entertainment' aside from actually doing the sport...I'm a doer rather than a watcher. I'd rather watch videos on car reviews or dudes reviewing survival gear these days!

I think you've hit "peak triathlon" where there's really not that much else to learn by watching channels or talking with people. Even the new gear or new training methods is pretty much recycled stuff we've all seen before if you've been around long enough. I've been competitively swimming, biking, and running in various forms since 1982 and it takes something pretty amazing to catch my interest.

But people new to the sport eat this shit up like nobody's business. And I get it - the gear and what we can do with our endurance is mind blowingly cool.

I love triathlon as much as anybody can, but my favorite youtube channels are offroad 4x4 truck stuff, what happens when you drop things off of buildings, and science-y chemical reactions in slow motion. And my favorite podcasts are ones about the science of positive psychology and the art of productivity. Now if a new tri bike shows up in my feed, hell yeah that's first on my list. But that's not nearly as cool to watch as what happens when you put a bunch of mentos in a weighted coke bottle and drop it into the deep end of a pool.

Once you become experienced enough in something, it's not quite as interesting as when you're learning it. You've hit triathlon "mastery", or at least as much as you care to master it, and that's pretty typical from what I've seen.

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:

Tower 26? Ah yes, those are the swimmers that have no clue how to swim without their snorkels and fins, right?

Re: Triathlon Taren [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]

Kentucky Mac wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Tower 26? Ah yes, those are the swimmers that have no clue how to swim without their snorkels and fins, right?
Yeah those 3k+ main sets with no equipment must be a figment of my imagination.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]

Kentucky Mac wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I have no doubt that t26 is a good program. My comment was more about the review.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [CU427] [ In reply to ]

He's telling people what they want to hear .. People love that .. beats actually training

Man, some people are sour in here..

I ignore the ads for products but I genuinely believe that he wouldn't do any of it if he wasn't enjoying using the products. Also.. blame him for putting food on the table.

He's a nice guy with his heart in the right place. I enjoy his content, there are some good tips for beginners (especially in his older videos, new ones not so much) but I don't think he's ready for being a coach for a training platform. He should have gained some 1-on-1 coaching experience at least for a while before doing that. Some tips might be silly (like faking a 1h30m long run with a 60m long xc run. imo you were going too fast for a long run, that is not the goal) and I tend to just ignore it and that is fine.

All in all.. enjoyable, can recommend, go Taren!
Last edited by: cmart: Feb 3, 19 1:28

Re: Triathlon Taren [cmart] [ In reply to ]

In his video of 2019 goals, it was politely suggested in the comments that he lose 10-15lbs to optimize performance via a vegan diet. Taren responded by telling the person that if they’ve been following his channel they would know he’s been on a plant based diet for a few years. I thought the comment and response were entertaining. The guy asking was genuinely trying to be helpful and actually came across as one of his fanboys. It seemed the comment pissed off Taren and his passive aggressive response indicated it did. I guess he’s better at giving advice than taking it.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Feb 3, 19 4:01

Re: Triathlon Taren [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

mwanner13 wrote:
In his video of 2019 goals, it was politely suggested in the comments that he lose 10-15lbs to optimize performance via a vegan diet. Taren responded by telling the person that if they’ve been following his channel they would know he’s been on a plant based diet for a few years. I thought the comment and response were entertaining. The guy asking was genuinely trying to be helpful and actually came across as one of his fanboys. It seemed the comment pissed off Taren and his passive aggressive response indicated it did. I guess he’s better at giving advice than taking it.

Yeah, I noticed that sometimes. He's given himself (or his wife) a prohibition from reading comments he said recently because they stir him up. Seems at some points in the past it got to him where even constructive feedback was taken pretty negatively.

But... I do get it. I'd hate these 1 out of 100 comments too that is straight up hateful. Couldn't handle it any better I have to confess!

And.. I'd hate if people would talk about me here and dissect every word I said on yt, what I'm starting to do here. So, I eject this thread AND GO TAREN :)
Last edited by: cmart: Feb 3, 19 4:22

Re: Triathlon Taren [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]

I honestly get that. Weight is a funny thing, he used to be a lot heavier than he is now. If Taren himself said that he needed to lose more weight, that’s one thing, but if someone else does, the default position is that it is perceived as an attack, regardless of how “politely” it’s said. I would react exactly the same way. “I” can talk about my weight. If someone else does I respond with a big old “fuck off”.

I’ll also say that his latest swim video was pretty good.

mwanner13 wrote:

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [cmart] [ In reply to ]

Sport on cmart. Hit the nail on the head. Cheers!

I watch a lot of Taren's vids. In fact, admittedly, I think I've probably seen 95% of what he's posted in the past year just because they pop up when I leave youtube running either on the trainer, or just in the background.

In the past year or so he's gone from:

- age group triathlon vlogger sharing his daily training
- phase where he saw a lot of improvements so he dipped his toes in coaching with some training plan templates
- triathlon media content supplier (kona videos, podcasts, video interviews with pros)
- full on coach with the training website, master classes
- product reviewer

I don't think he's done any of these exceptionally well, but they have provided daily content, grown his name in the sport, and allowed him to do this full time. Plus, the dude went from an investment banker, to hanging out with the TDF winner.... I'd say he's doing okay. He just needs to find his niche and do it well, not try to do everything just okay. Will he solidify himself as a coach? a media outlet? product reviewer? I don't know, and I suspect he doesn't yet either... time will tell.

For now, I'll tune into his vids when I'm on the trainer, or cooking dinner. Some of them I like and might do some more research on my own, some of them I make fun of in my head, disregard, and move on with my day.

Re: Triathlon Taren [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]

FastFor114.4 wrote:
I He just needs to find his niche and do it well, not try to do everything just okay.
Isn’t that Triathlon in a nutshell right there?
If so, I would say he’s hitting the mark ;)

Re: Triathlon Taren [TriSolo] [ In reply to ]

lol.. good point. While that may be age group triathlon in a nutshell, I wouldn't recommend that mentality to someone trying to build a business/brand.

Re: Triathlon Taren [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]

That is what I like about DCRainmaker, he sticks to specific part of product reviews. Same with GPlama.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Livio Livius] [ In reply to ]

Livio Livius wrote:
That is what I like about DCRainmaker, he sticks to specific part of product reviews. Same with GPlama.

The big problem with Tarren is he only seems to review items which he either has a sponsored relationship with, and or has been given the item for free-hence all of his credibility is shot.

If he really wants to become a reviewer he needs to put his money where his mouth is and buy the items to remain impartial. He comes across as the type of guy who would rave about Power Balance wristbands (remember those things...) if you gave him one for free..

https://www.amazon.com/Power-Balance-The-Original-Performance-Wristband/dp/B004XYPIVU/ref=pd_day0_c_121_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B004XYPIVU&pd_rd_r=3faf3be9-2ca7-11e9-91c7-79eddbe046cc&pd_rd_w=BPGky&pd_rd_wg=eOmyJ&pf_rd_p=fda7cfe5-3364-4578-ae5e-ac4ab3645932&pf_rd_r=RP0CD317S6N2CQZ1GGVB&refRID=RP0CD317S6N2CQZ1GGVB

"The sports bracelet has been scientifically tested to emit over 2000 cc's of negative ions per second" lol

Exactly, I had DC Rainmaker on my mind when I was writing that post. Taren is trying to do product reviews like DCR, media like Talbot, news coverage like GCN/GTN, a coaching/training platform like training peaks, and training vlogs like _______(insert youtube vlogger here).

Again, I'm not saying he does any of this poorly. Some of it is better, some worse, but all of it is decent content. He just needs to find his jam and stick with it. If anyone is curious of my opinion: he should avoid coaching and product reviews, and stick to training vlogs, pro content: not race photography or media, but interviews, etc. He's had success with that, and no matter what level of triathlete you are, that stuff is entertaining.

Livio Livius wrote:

I do a lot of other things too... most poorly as well. Have you seen me try to re-fit tubeless road tyres? fffufuuuuuuuu ;)

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava

I once commented on a Triathlon Taren video that he spends too much time doing awkward selfies and generally appearing to admire himself. He blocked me on youtube for that comment. True it was an unfriendly opinion from a know-nothing like me, but I thought it kind of amusing that he chose to block me. lol.

CG
Last edited by: CeeGee90: Feb 14, 19 14:20

Re: Triathlon Taren [CeeGee90] [ In reply to ]

I was thinking about this on my way to work couple of days ago.

Maybe Taren and Cameron have a point.
A lot of professional fighters (UFC, Boxe ) usually train heavy, cut weight close to fight day.....do the official weighting - eat like there is no tomorrow and fight 2 nights later.

Maybe that's a good approach for triathlon.Who knows!

food for thought!

Re: Triathlon Taren [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]

FaKaspar wrote:

A lot of professional fighters (UFC, Boxe ) usually train heavy, cut weight close to fight day.....do the official weighting - eat like there is no tomorrow and fight 2 nights later.

food for thought!

Please tell me this sarcasm. Please.

Re: Triathlon Taren [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]

Like how everyone carbs up before a big race...not new.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Triathlon Taren [RoostBooster] [ In reply to ]

RoostBooster wrote:
FaKaspar wrote:

food for thought!

Please tell me this sarcasm. Please.
Has to be. But i do wish there were weight categories...or maybe a royal rumble at the end. Lol

Prev Next