Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Slowman wrote:
i think the last dozen or so comments sum it up. you need to clean this up. you dislike things; i dislike things; but you and a half-dozen others make it a hobby to dislike things in a particularly vitriolic and nasty way.

if you guys don't clean it up, then i have to clean it up. but somebody's got to clean this up. you go first. and to be clear, it's not your tastes i mind. or your opinions. it's your delivery.

Nailed it.

(I know I didn't reply back on the other thread we were discussing related things on - my bad, but I think your response here actually summarizes roughly what I was attempting to say and why changing that culture of those that make it a hobby is important for ST to keep on getting the best in triathlon to come here and not just read, but post. Especially this specific part - "...dislike things in a particularly vitriolic and nasty way". Good to see.)

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com

Re: Triathlon Taren [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]

Again, I don’t hate, love is what we need anywhere ( slowtwich for sure need some )

I just want to create awareness, because I got scammed in my life and it is not nice – and I`m not saying Taren got scammed or his viewers got scammed – just crashing some facts ->

A crowd funding of any nature is created to have a web training platform for newbies with apparently no fitness professional involved – that is borderline irresponsible. Hope he has something as any kind of certification.

Not saying training peaks have to be the only one in the market, but at least you get experienced professionals sending you proper training.

200 individuals sign up, don’t know how much, but let’s call it $100 each, it is interesting sum of money!

I used to follow him (unfollow yesterday) and from that point on he made some trips that would be very expensive

Plus the garage and patio that is not of my business and according to him he got a line of credit for that ( I really want to know his bank )

How I know all of that? Because in my mind I was thinking -> This guy must be a Financial genius. I have a 2 income household ( both with above average income for the Midwest ) no kids and we do travel but always get cheap flights, hotels and I do all my races locally so I don’t have to get air tickets and pay to ship my bike.

There is some youtube channels that are about traveling ( Sailing la Vagabond is one example ) and they have Patrons that basically pay that couple to travel the world sailing! Cool, if you like the content, you have money to spare….why not….your money.

They only thing that bothers me is creating a platform and offering a service without proper training for that purposely , collecting upfront money from people that dont really know the sport yet and reporting everything is ok ( never really showing any kind of layout, preview, screenshot ) and after 4 months reported we got scammed. I watched again…a lot of the chat got edited. Maybe he was not the one scammed.

The PMO part of it I`m not even talking about. I would get fired if I had a project, trusted people are doing ok without any kind of report, timeline or KPIs and after 4 months there is NOTHING to show my Boss - don't full yourself....those 200 people are now investors on that platform....therefore your Boss!

So that is my take on the whole thing. Don’t want to be a hater but I was really disappointed about that video. Traveling the world ( FIRST CLASS ) and telling people you are cashing on your saving is just odd to me!

I used to be a fan, used to watch when I could to help him.....no more!

Re: Triathlon Taren [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]

Ray,

There is a massive difference between what you've done and what Taren is doing. I know Dan replied to me, which I find a horrible feature of this forum rather than a "quick reply" button, but beggars and choosers.

I laid out my gripes in a pretty civil manner, I didn't accuse him of blowing his kickstarter money on going to Kona, but he definitely could save himself some solid cash and reinvigorate his previous business so that he can at least get by. Yeah, kudos to him for sharing his life story. But, there is no vitriol. These are legit criticisms, if he clickbaits me, he deserves to get hard critical feedback because that means his video fluff and no substance just like every instahoe on the planet.

Maybe I didn't see it, but I don't remember Dan telling anyone in the Ashley Horner thread to tone it down and that thread was nastier than cow pies. If a guy is going to give out unintelligent nutrition advice and has no certifications to spout said advice: he deserves buyer beware.

Does the world need more love? Sure, but at the end of the day we're all judges. We judge everything we see or do, hell Taren judges Daniela Ryf in his videos to just generate clicks. So, with that I disagree.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

My honest suggestion would be giving updates from the litigation process against this developer. At least to the people that gave him money.

One other suggestion, why not doing like Cody Beals and showing how much he got from sponsors, crowdfunding and how much he spend on traveling, races.

That is transparency to me, no scrolling down an edit word file.

I’ve watched his video and have come to a few conclusions:

1. His app seems like Strava except with training videos. Cool but not super original and I wouldn’t pay when Strava’s free and widely used.
2. If he takes money from investors he has to be accountable and offer to reimburse them if they want out. He says this won’t happen due to the scam. I’m not sure that’s great business practice and investors need to know this up front.

I hope everything works out for him, but it seems he is stretching himself thin in areas he doesn’t have much experience in like software development and contract procurement. I can see some questioning of his honest because some of his practices are questionable, but the ugliness is not warranted. We need to see where it’s at by January 1st. If it’s not done his credibility will be in serious question then. Hopefully that’s not the case.

Re: Triathlon Taren [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]

FaKaspar wrote:
Again, I don’t hate, love is what we need anywhere ( slowtwich for sure need some )

I just want to create awareness, because I got scammed in my life and it is not nice – and I`m not saying Taren got scammed or his viewers got scammed – just crashing some facts ->

A crowd funding of any nature is created to have a web training platform for newbies with apparently no fitness professional involved – that is borderline irresponsible. Hope he has something as any kind of certification.

Not saying training peaks have to be the only one in the market, but at least you get experienced professionals sending you proper training.

200 individuals sign up, don’t know how much, but let’s call it $100 each, it is interesting sum of money!

I used to follow him (unfollow yesterday) and from that point on he made some trips that would be very expensive

Plus the garage and patio that is not of my business and according to him he got a line of credit for that ( I really want to know his bank )

How I know all of that? Because in my mind I was thinking -> This guy must be a Financial genius. I have a 2 income household ( both with above average income for the Midwest ) no kids and we do travel but always get cheap flights, hotels and I do all my races locally so I don’t have to get air tickets and pay to ship my bike.

There is some youtube channels that are about traveling ( Sailing la Vagabond is one example ) and they have Patrons that basically pay that couple to travel the world sailing! Cool, if you like the content, you have money to spare….why not….your money.

They only thing that bothers me is creating a platform and offering a service without proper training for that purposely , collecting upfront money from people that dont really know the sport yet and reporting everything is ok ( never really showing any kind of layout, preview, screenshot ) and after 4 months reported we got scammed. I watched again…a lot of the chat got edited. Maybe he was not the one scammed.

The PMO part of it I`m not even talking about. I would get fired if I had a project, trusted people are doing ok without any kind of report, timeline or KPIs and after 4 months there is NOTHING to show my Boss - don't full yourself....those 200 people are now investors on that platform....therefore your Boss!

So that is my take on the whole thing. Don’t want to be a hater but I was really disappointed about that video. Traveling the world ( FIRST CLASS ) and telling people you are cashing on your saving is just odd to me!

So, to get this kinda straight, you were unhappy and miserable because you and your family cannot fly FIRST CLASS but he did and therefore had your respect and now you are happy and justified because he crashed and burned...but you are also upset because you supported him by watching youtube and that was a waste...;you lost me there!
Anyway, I think Taren identified a need that was missing in triathlon, he delivered and people responded. He has put a lot of effort in creating a
cheerful, happy and not grumpy community and I hope his platform works. If his product is not up to par and the people who follow and pay for his training plans drop dead like flies from severe skull stress fractures, then his subscriber base will shrink and he will start flying economy again...Either way, the specific need/niche of the triathlon community is still there...TP is not appealing to everyone...

"Discipline is the highest of all virtues. Only so may strength and desire be counterbalanced and the endeavors of man bear fruit."
Nikos Kazantzakis, The Rock Garden

Re: Triathlon Taren [nikane] [ In reply to ]

nikane wrote:
FaKaspar wrote:

So, to get this kinda straight, you were unhappy and miserable because you and your family cannot fly FIRST CLASS but he did and therefore had your respect and now you are happy and justified because he crashed and burned...but you are also upset because you supported him by watching youtube and that was a waste...;you lost me there!
Anyway, I think Taren identified a need that was missing in triathlon, he delivered and people responded. He has put a lot of effort in creating a
cheerful, happy and not grumpy community and I hope his platform works. If his product is not up to par and the people who follow and pay for his training plans drop dead like flies from severe skull stress fractures, then his subscriber base will shrink and he will start flying economy again...Either way, the specific need/niche of the triathlon community is still there...TP is not appealing to everyone...

I just think you cant cry in front of a camera when you do all those trips. I'm pretty happy thank you for asking!

I felt like helping him actually at that time. And now I`m happy a didn't

Cash flow is something important in business. I had my own business - you don't go overboard, you don't travel like that. I do smart business, you protect yourself - and still is hard to make it ( I didn't )

But I`ve never insulted you, I don't know you and you don't know me, you don't know if I`m grumpy or sad. Don`t get personal if you don`t have anything to say, to add or subtract! We are talking about something else. This is called Forum....people talk about things....not attack someone because you a fan boy of a Youtuber.

I`m not using bad words, I`m not even accusing Taren! I`m saying he made really bad decisions....and yes he lost my audience....and he is probably zero worried about that.

So please be civilized!

Looks like you got burn on this deal too, so for that I forgive you!
Last edited by: FaKaspar: Oct 25, 18 19:36

TheStroBro wrote:
Ray,

There is a massive difference between what you've done and what Taren is doing. I know Dan replied to me, which I find a horrible feature of this forum rather than a "quick reply" button, but beggars and choosers.

I laid out my gripes in a pretty civil manner, I didn't accuse him of blowing his kickstarter money on going to Kona, but he definitely could save himself some solid cash and reinvigorate his previous business so that he can at least get by. Yeah, kudos to him for sharing his life story. But, there is no vitriol. These are legit criticisms, if he clickbaits me, he deserves to get hard critical feedback because that means his video fluff and no substance just like every instahoe on the planet.

Maybe I didn't see it, but I don't remember Dan telling anyone in the Ashley Horner thread to tone it down and that thread was nastier than cow pies. If a guy is going to give out unintelligent nutrition advice and has no certifications to spout said advice: he deserves buyer beware.

Does the world need more love? Sure, but at the end of the day we're all judges. We judge everything we see or do, hell Taren judges Daniela Ryf in his videos to just generate clicks. So, with that I disagree.

no, you did not lay out your gripes in a civil manner. about a dozen people who were posting here 3 weeks ago and aren't here today feel as you do - that they were civil.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Triathlon Taren [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]

FaKaspar wrote:
those 200 people are now investors on that platform....therefore your Boss!

Nope.. they simply donated to support the project in exchange for some (marginal) benefits. Lots of people on this thread have referred to funders as investors.. it may seem like just semantics but it's not. If you take investor money you have fiduciary duties associated with that. The bar is way, way lower on Kickstarter and I can't imagine that what happened to Taren is that unusual on there.

And for those that said people are investors and therefore are entitled to their money back because things aren't working out. That's also not how it works anyway (I know, I know you can sometimes get a put option on your investment but that's not what we're talking about here).

I'll crawl back in my hole now

Re: Triathlon Taren [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]

bigredrude wrote:

Nope.. they simply donated to support the project in exchange for some (marginal) benefits. Lots of people on this thread have referred to funders as investors.. it may seem like just semantics but it's not. If you take investor money you have fiduciary duties associated with that. The bar is way, way lower on Kickstarter and I can't imagine that what happened to Taren is that unusual on there.

And for those that said people are investors and therefore are entitled to their money back because things aren't working out. That's also not how it works anyway (I know, I know you can sometimes get a put option on your investment but that's not what we're talking about here).

I'll crawl back in my hole now

Actually you're incorrect. They purchased a piece of an end product. Although not shareholders they are in a sense "creditors". Depending on what level "reward" the person purchased, if the project fails and he cannot fulfill the "rewards" he is required by Kickstarters Terms of Use to refund all backers who do not receive their "reward". Now, enforcing that provision does require legal action (specifically based on the last sentence). So I would say yes it's similar to a stockholder that feels they've been defrauded and then sues the company and names the CEO and board chair in the suit rather than a stockholder just cutting their losses at market.

Kickstarter wrote:

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?
Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.
https://www.kickstarter.com/...ility-on-kickstarter

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 26, 18 7:42

TheStroBro wrote:

Actually you're incorrect. They purchased a piece of an end product. Although not shareholders they are in a sense "creditors". Depending on what level "reward" the person purchased, if the project fails and he cannot fulfill the "rewards" he is required by Kickstarters Terms of Use to refund all backers who do not receive their "reward". Now, enforcing that provision does require legal action (specifically based on the last sentence). So I would say yes it's similar to a stockholder that feels they've been defrauded and then sues the company and names the CEO and board chair in the suit rather than a stockholder just cutting their losses at market.

Kickstarter wrote:

Is a creator legally obligated to fulfill the promises of their project?
Yes. Kickstarter's Terms of Use require creators to fulfill all rewards of their project or refund any backer whose reward they do not or cannot fulfill. (This is what creators see before they launch.) We crafted these terms to create a legal requirement for creators to follow through on their projects, and to give backers a recourse if they don't. We hope that backers will consider using this provision only in cases where they feel that a creator has not made a good faith effort to complete the project and fulfill.
https://www.kickstarter.com/...ility-on-kickstarter

ah.. well then they're definitely not investors.. I obviously missed that protection funders get. Thanks for pointing that out. That last sentence in the kickstarter language is interesting.. basically relying on funders to use judgement before taking action.

I stand corrected, partially!

Re: Triathlon Taren [realAB] [ In reply to ]

realAB wrote:
Dude has no business coaching swimming... should be farming this out...

Found 1 masters meet he swam at in 2014. He swam a 6:08 400m Free and 24:00 1500m Free but is listed as DQd for both swims...

Did he cheat and wear "Floaty" pants / illegal swimwear or was wearing a watch ?

I’m sure theres plenty of good swim coaches that aren’t great athletes.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]

TriguyBlue wrote:
realAB wrote:
Dude has no business coaching swimming... should be farming this out...

Found 1 masters meet he swam at in 2014. He swam a 6:08 400m Free and 24:00 1500m Free but is listed as DQd for both swims...

Did he cheat and wear "Floaty" pants / illegal swimwear or was wearing a watch ?

I’m sure theres plenty of good swim coaches that aren’t great athletes.

Not as many as you’d think. (Replacing “great” with “decent”).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [pbnz] [ In reply to ]

So many haters out there.

Give the guy a break, his story in itself is inspiring, in terms of his weight loss and transformation and development as an athlete.

I completely agree.

I think there is a big need for someone like Taren because if people come here for advise, the same ones going after Taren will go after them. I think he offers a "safe" zone for beginners and intermediates and I applaud him for recognizing that.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]

Sanuk wrote:
So many haters out there.

Give the guy a break, his story in itself is inspiring, in terms of his weight loss and transformation and development as an athlete.

I completely agree.

I think there is a big need for someone like Taren because if people come here for advise, the same ones going after Taren will go after them. I think he offers a "safe" zone for beginners and intermediates and I applaud him for recognizing that.

That's like saying someone who criticizes how a NFL team played on the weekend is also going to criticize a 10 year old in the same way. I think you would struggle to find any posts here not supportive of new comers. I think you equally would struggle to find any post here critical of Tarren without merit.

I agree there is a need for someone like Tarren but people shouldn't be scared from calling out silly things he says or does (for fear of being called a 'hater'...).

Re: Triathlon Taren [dunno] [ In reply to ]

Yeah haters gonna hate, but I am thrilled to have a regular source of content about triathlon.

Is it perfect and gripping all the time? No.

But in a niche sport with mainstream media appearances you can count on one hand, TT provides news, race analysis, training tips, and opinions on controversial topics.

I like watching stuff about triathlon, and TT provides more of what I like. Without him, I'd be watching far more 10+ year old vids of long since retired ironman has-beens doing their thing in the 90s.

Re: Triathlon Taren [ryanderrick] [ In reply to ]

Lol so Taren went 'there' again and gave everyone some nutritional advice-face palm..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ctGOQocuZtw

Some of the comments were brutal but this has to be my fav- he is spot on IMHO

"I love you Taren. But, for a second of real talk. You are not a keto athlete. You are not fat adapted. In your adult life, you have NEVER experienced ketosis. You think MCT Oil doesn't break a fast because it is "clear". Jesus man....any calories break a fast. You buy into the marketing tactics of the failing mushroom industry. Dude. "overtaxing the gut" dude...wtf? You're just listening to talking heads on the internet and spouting this shit out as if it was facts. The facts are: you are a decent age group 70.3 athlete. You are not exceptional. You train more than enough, but your diet shows your lack of commitment to your own performance. So please, STOP trying to get people to eat like you. You need to lose 6-8% body fat while maintaining your muscle mass if you ever want to break out. Otherwise, please, just focus on being a news reporter, because your health, diet, performance,and fitness is not helping your cause."

dunno wrote:
Lol so Taren went 'there' again and gave everyone some nutritional advice-face palm..

"I love you Taren. But, for a second of real talk. You are not a keto athlete. You are not fat adapted. In your adult life, you have NEVER experienced ketosis. You think MCT Oil doesn't break a fast because it is "clear". Jesus man....any calories break a fast. You buy into the marketing tactics of the failing mushroom industry. Dude. "overtaxing the gut" dude...wtf? You're just listening to talking heads on the internet and spouting this shit out as if it was facts. The facts are: you are a decent age group 70.3 athlete. You are not exceptional. You train more than enough, but your diet shows your lack of commitment to your own performance. So please, STOP trying to get people to eat like you. You need to lose 6-8% body fat while maintaining your muscle mass if you ever want to break out. Otherwise, please, just focus on being a news reporter, because your health, diet, performance,and fitness is not helping your cause."

Yeah, Taren has some weird ideas about food. I also didn't understand why he thought MCT Oil doesn't break a fast.

eh, i still like em though. I just like to have things on or listen to people discuss triathlon or topics that I find interesting. Even if sometimes its just for noise while I am having a few beers after a run. I find it similar enough to listening to friends talk after a run club about their ideas on training or things they are trying. Not everything has to pan out as we are all experimenting and seeing what little things others are doing that may help us. In saying that, some of these things would be cool to have as a form of live session where he could present as he does on the channel, but have it as an open dialogue. He says it all the time yet people don't want to listen when he does, but he isn't an expert and this is his take at the present time.

I understand the venting about advice or opinions, but sometimes these threads get way to obsessive and negative. I hope he makes it big just doing what hes doing. Fuck, i wish I could do what he does instead of working in this shitty ass cubicle daydreaming of running by being on slowtwitch instead of working all day.

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7

Re: Triathlon Taren [AlyraD] [ In reply to ]

AlyraD wrote:
I understand the venting about advice or opinions, but sometimes these threads get way to obsessive and negative.

Some of his ideas, especially those about nutrition are really pushing the boundaries of what is reasonable. A lot of those products don't really have scientific backing for the effectiveness, and are actually pretty expensive. I am glad there is push back at least on this, so people don't just go and buy the stuff he promotes.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

TulkasTri wrote:
AlyraD wrote:
I understand the venting about advice or opinions, but sometimes these threads get way to obsessive and negative.

Some of his ideas, especially those about nutrition are really pushing the boundaries of what is reasonable. A lot of those products don't really have scientific backing for the effectiveness, and are actually pretty expensive. I am glad there is push back at least on this, so people don't just go and buy the stuff he promotes.

I'd like to see the scientific backing that the colour of what you are eating dictates if it breaks a fast lol.....hmmmm hey Vodka is clear, I might be on to something!

He also once said protein powder was catabolic. Really like the guy but please just don't talk hocus pocus nutrition

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

Hmm, maybe so. I actually never watch any video on nutrition as I feel like most people don't know what they are doing. . .and neither do I! As far as I get with nutrition is this post :)

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7

Wow this video is a joke...he says we need to remain in a fat burning state? Okay dude. This is a really bad video. So is he going to start eating bacon while racing? "I got this 130 KCALs of fat that's gonna keep me in a fasted state..." Uh, you just broke it dude.

Also...apparently Lucy Charles is going to do a collab with him...aka it sounds like he's going to try and become Talbot...

Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 7, 18 11:05

dunno wrote:

I couldn't help thinking this too watching his day of eating videos. Just on and on with almond butter and oils and crap like that. Stop eating so much! Most of your activities only burn 5-700 kcals, don't worry so much about the pre fuel/post fuel spirulina, mct, vegan, mushroom crap. Workout, eat 3 meals a day and lose 10 lbs.

Agr

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Re: Triathlon Taren [Jordano] [ In reply to ]

Jordano wrote:
dunno wrote:

I couldn't help thinking this too watching his day of eating videos. Just on and on with almond butter and oils and crap like that. Stop eating so much! Most of your activities only burn 5-700 kcals, don't worry so much about the pre fuel/post fuel spirulina, mct, vegan, mushroom crap. Workout, eat 3 meals a day and lose 10 lbs.

Agr

Losing 6-8% bodyfat might be a bit too much. But he is really overcomplicating things, who has 10 minutes in the morning just to make a shake?
The funny thing is that whenever Pros are being interviewed about diet, it becomes so damn clear that they are not doing all kind of wierd shit, but just eat a well balanced healthy diet, in the correct amount, and that is it.

Prev Next