Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
At WVU about a decade ago they had a drinking fountain with NesQuik in it rather than water. Must have been a bitch to clean!

That just sounds like a health code violation waiting to happen. All I can picture is cheesy milk clogging everything up.

Thanks for the education. I tried a Quest bar - once. It was one of the worst-tasting protein bars I've ever had ... but good to know that it doesn't spike the blood sugar because he surely said it (and whey protein) would do that.

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:
watched one, found him annoying, so didn't watch any more. Some people like his channel though, so its all good.

Don't want to be a hater, but he reminds me way too much of Paul Giamatti aka Pig Vomit (Howard Stern Private Parts) and the movie Sideways. So I don't watch his stuff either!

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte

TheStroBro wrote:
He's stating that whey protein causes insulin spikes. It doesn't.

It does, and this is very well documented. It's not terribly clinically relevant however as it's generally mixed with other things that temper the response. This context is what guys like Taren miss because they know just enough to not know WTF they're talking about.

https://nutritionandmetabolism.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1743-7075-9-48

Re: Triathlon Taren [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

Pun_Times wrote:
rwurbina wrote:
Half of them are expensive and not necessarily good. Look at the Cerveló P5X or even the ventum( two big expensive pieces of junk).

The P5x is the fastest bike there is. Not to mention it’s one of the most adjustable bikes on the market. I’ll give you fast, but calling it a piece of junk and not good, you’ve gotta be kidding me...

How is it the fastest bike there is? I cant find any comparison where a p5x riding pro has gone quicker on it than they did on the p5. Sorry, its marketing - yes it is adjustable but in the real world it simply isnt faster

Re: Triathlon Taren [jayski] [ In reply to ]

Actually Jayski, the p5x is the fastest. Do some research on this site and you'll find the comparison you're looking for.

jayski wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
rwurbina wrote:
Half of them are expensive and not necessarily good. Look at the Cerveló P5X or even the ventum( two big expensive pieces of junk).

The P5x is the fastest bike there is. Not to mention it’s one of the most adjustable bikes on the market. I’ll give you fast, but calling it a piece of junk and not good, you’ve gotta be kidding me...

How is it the fastest bike there is? I cant find any comparison where a p5x riding pro has gone quicker on it than they did on the p5. Sorry, its marketing - yes it is adjustable but in the real world it simply isnt faster

TheStroBro wrote:
He's stating that whey protein causes insulin spikes. It doesn't. As most whey powders have limited sugar content. In fact, every powder in my house has under 4gs of sugar. He's also trying to throw shade at Quest here saying he gets super hungry an hour later...HTF is a protein bar with 1g of Sugar going to give you an insulin spike? It's not.

When it comes to recovery mix of the 4 to 1 ratio seemingly pioneered by Pacific Health Labs and their product Endurox? They've got data to back it up. But even after a ride I always go for a scoop of whey. Also, this is why Rinny is on the Chocolate Milk campaign 4 to 1 ratio. At WVU about a decade ago they had a drinking fountain with NesQuik in it rather than water. Must have been a bitch to clean!
Has nothing to do with amount of sugar in whey protein.

You are confusing blood sugar levels and insulin levels

Actually whey protein does cause an insulin spike because it is highly insulinogenic

Re: Triathlon Taren [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]

HuffNPuff wrote:
Thanks for the education. I tried a Quest bar - once. It was one of the worst-tasting protein bars I've ever had ... but good to know that it doesn't spike the blood sugar because he surely said it (and whey protein) would do that.

I can’t remeber did he say it spikes insulin levels or blood sugar levels

It does NOT spike blood sugar levels unless it has extra sugar added ornit is a lower percentage of whey concentrate with more milk sugar.

It does however increase insulin level

Re: Triathlon Taren [RBR] [ In reply to ]

Thread reminds be of Howard Stern radio show

When it first came out. People who liked him listened for approx 22 mins. People who hated hot listened for approx 57 minutes

😂
Last edited by: RBR: Sep 28, 18 9:39

I've already forgotten what he said. And the subsequent responses on this thread are exactly why I don't get worked up over nutrition.

I will admit I followed the guy for a bit there, mostly interested in his progress as he started to get faster. We're about the same age, and he's as fast as I wish I could be. Having said that, I have been very put-off by videos as of late, as he seems to be more in the market of trying to get as much free stuff as he can get from vendors, and basically promotes absolutely anything. That is one thing I always admired about DC Rainmaker and the fact that he doesn't take anything for free, so he can remain un-biased. With Taren, I feel like he will promote absolutely anything that is given to him for free.

On top of that, this commitment of him putting out a video a day is causing him to put out some sub-par content.

And lastly, he has absolutely no reason to be given swimming advice to anyone. So he went to swim with Gerry for a few days and now he's an expert in triathlon swimming? A while back he posted on his IG story a video of him giving advice to an athlete on running his running form, right before a 70.3, and it was the silliest advice I have ever seen.

Oh wait, I have one more: During all his videos for 70.3 worlds this year, he kept telling his "trainiacs" to not use their disc, that if they had to make a decision what to bring, he would say "don't bring your disc, it's going to be too windy". What did the fucker end up riding in? A FUCKING DISC. I guess he wanted less competition.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

He's a big Lionel fan boy and doesn't critique hard...but then he'll go out and destroy Daniela in his post race commentary videos. Dude is a troll.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

[/img]

My favortie part of that video of how bad whey protein is.... is what the add was for right below the video.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin

TheStroBro wrote:
He's a big Lionel fan boy and doesn't critique hard...but then he'll go out and destroy Daniela in his post race commentary videos. Dude is a troll.

Of course he’s a fanboy, he’s Canadian.

blog

Re: Triathlon Taren: Whey is the true white devil! [ In reply to ]

So let's get this straight for this complete "aha moment" for Taren:

Two meals, whey protein and white wheat bread (WWB), matched with regard to carbohydrate content (25 g) were provided in the morning after an overnight fast and the whey addition caused a higher insulin release?

Wow, what a shocking discovery and so much validity in the context of post-exercise intake.

Re: Triathlon Taren: Whey is the true white devil! [ktm520] [ In reply to ]

I do watch it eventually on my warm ups. Today he posted something that after I have done some research for context I couldn't get my head around.

Don't want to be a hater, don't like that! But for someone with 10+ years in procurement and a some coding knowledge (freelance mostly for family between jobs ) is very hard to believe.

Hopefully I`m wrong. Just felt like sharing for awareness!

Re: Triathlon Taren: Whey is the true white devil! [FaKaspar] [ In reply to ]

I watch him from time to time when I’m on the treadmill. I watched his breakdown of Lionel at Kona and almost turned it off when he started spewing the Ventum bike is 17 minutes faster stuff. He also wore a hat and dropped a shout out to the company.

However, I will admit that his pacing and production keeps me entertained for 12-15 minutes.

Re: Triathlon Taren [jayski] [ In reply to ]

jayski wrote:
Pun_Times wrote:
rwurbina wrote:

The P5X is the fastest there is or tied for first, until something can provide superior rider air flow management than it does. I say that for top sustainable speed.

Now is it fastest T1 to T2? Maybe not - because riding a race involves more than hammering down level straight lines. I am going to find out this summer, anecdotally at least, on my little test races. I'll give an honest shakedown.

The P5X is in a class of bikes I call "Barge Board" frames. These frames shield the lower body from impacting air. Other designs I see doing this are Dimond, the Andean (too much board), the Ceepo (did I miss any?). That new fork on the Specialized might also provide the same effect. Big hydration and storage air splitters at the head tube = same idea.

If you are a student of aero, like most pundits on here are, you are bonkers not to give one of these frames a few rides at least, just to feel the difference. It's pretty cool.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com

Re: Triathlon Taren: Whey is the true white devil! [Parkland] [ In reply to ]

Parkland wrote:
I watch him from time to time when I’m on the treadmill. I watched his breakdown of Lionel at Kona and almost turned it off when he started spewing the Ventum bike is 17 minutes faster stuff. He also wore a hat and dropped a shout out to the company.

However, I will admit that his pacing and production keeps me entertained for 12-15 minutes.

When I first saw the channel I said " hmm what (western) province is this guy from? Quintessential Canadian, which is... well peculiarly charming.

He certainly means well but in Canada he'll have to pull out all the stops to make a go of it. Is there anyone doing something similar who is located in the USA?

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com

Re: Triathlon Taren: Whey is the true white devil! [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]

There are hundreds of instahoes in the "fitness" industry, he just focuses on this segment. Also, to be successful at this you gotta be a hot chick or show off your abs in every thumb nail

His sob story video today was annoying as hell.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Oct 24, 18 19:24

Re: Triathlon Taren: Whey is the true white devil! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

I don't get why you keep watching his content when all you do is sit on here and complain about it - you do know you can just unfollow, right?

Re: Triathlon Taren [logella] [ In reply to ]

logella wrote:
Officially feel old as I have no idea what you are talking about.

X2

DFL > DNF > DNS

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

JasoninHalifax wrote:
watched one, found him annoying, so didn't watch any more. Some people like his channel though, so its all good.

Product placement aside, I've been enjoying the GTN shows. They have a couple of videos now for the trainer, did the intervals one yesterday and it was a pretty good 30 minute session.

I like the GTN one but the does and don'ts one really annoyed me. Its stupid and a proper snowflake issue but I found it quite offensive personally.

i think the last dozen or so comments sum it up. you need to clean this up. you dislike things; i dislike things; but you and a half-dozen others make it a hobby to dislike things in a particularly vitriolic and nasty way.

if you guys don't clean it up, then i have to clean it up. but somebody's got to clean this up. you go first. and to be clear, it's not your tastes i mind. or your opinions. it's your delivery.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman

Re: Triathlon Taren [Slowman] [ In reply to ]

Thank god

Use this link to save $5 off your USAT membership renewal:
https://membership.usatriathlon.org/...A2-BAD7-6137B629D9B7

Prev Next