Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [Bosox99104] [ In reply to ]

Bosox99104 wrote:
realAB wrote:
Still wondering why he was DQd in a 400 and 1500 in his one and only masters meet

You should stop and move on with your life

Not too many things will get you dq'd from a freestyle event. False starts? (which is dumb in a 400 or 1500, jumping the gun doesn't really help you). Non-regulation swimwear (was he wearing floaty pants?)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

Have you watched his video were he is breaking down Lionel's swim....Is he really the person to be doing this???? Is this what people trust on utube?

Re: Triathlon Taren [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

Fishbum wrote:
Have you watched his video were he is breaking down Lionel's swim....Is he really the person to be doing this???? Is this what people trust on utube?

Yeah, I saw that.

I'm prefacing this by saying that overall, I like Taren's channel, even if I don't care about all of the content he generates. I'll pick and choose what I want to watch (anything that has to do with "here's the morning shake you should drink" or the like I'll skip past, but a lot of his content I do like. I enjoyed his stuff from 70.3 worlds, for example.

That said, he is really not the guy to be giving swim analysis. He knows some, but unfortunately he knows enough to be dangerous. He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

Favourite Swim Sets:

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Not too many things will get you dq'd from a freestyle event. False starts? (which is dumb in a 400 or 1500, jumping the gun doesn't really help you). Non-regulation swimwear (was he wearing floaty pants?)

or wearing floaties in general ;)
Last edited by: casper3043: Dec 10, 18 7:40

JasoninHalifax wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Yeah, I saw that.

I'm prefacing this by saying that overall, I like Taren's channel, even if I don't care about all of the content he generates. I'll pick and choose what I want to watch (anything that has to do with "here's the morning shake you should drink" or the like I'll skip past, but a lot of his content I do like. I enjoyed his stuff from 70.3 worlds, for example.

That said, he is really not the guy to be giving swim analysis. He knows some, but unfortunately he knows enough to be dangerous. He doesn't know what he doesn't know.

And that in a nutshell is coaching in this sport.

As for the content he definitely doesn't aim to please everyone in every single video. But he goes with Casey Niestats model of producing something every single day. Not easy task to do 365 days a year, so he will definitely "fetch" some topics much to many of our dismay.

I go back and forth on him a lot. But with a sport that isn't really growing and doesn't really have any exposure, having triathlete that produces video content every single day is an opportunity to get more involved, grow the sport, etc.

I think it comes up to the viewer to use discretion on what to take and pass on. Unfortunately, Taren does not do a great job (IMO) of positioning himself as who he is. He should be blunt that he is NOT a coach or has experience coaching athletes 1-1 face-to-face.

Re: Triathlon Taren [907Tri] [ In reply to ]

907Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Yeah, I saw that.

As for the content he definitely doesn't aim to please everyone in every single video. But he goes with Casey Niestats model of producing something every single day. Not easy task to do 365 days a year, so he will definitely "fetch" some topics much to many of our dismay.

I go back and forth on him a lot. But with a sport that isn't really growing and doesn't really have any exposure, having triathlete that produces video content every single day is an opportunity to get more involved, grow the sport, etc.

I think it comes up to the viewer to use discretion on what to take and pass on. Unfortunately, Taren does not do a great job (IMO) of positioning himself as who he is. He should be blunt that he is NOT a coach or has experience coaching athletes 1-1 face-to-face.

I'm well aware that I'm sitting on the sidelines in the peanut gallery here, but I think what would be ideal for him is to position himself as Mr AG Triathlete. Instead of trying to do all of these fancy things, with all the fancy gear, instead do something that highlights the challenges that we all face just trying to fit in a day of training. Between kids, family, social and work commitments it gets very tough for a lot of us.I haven't trained in nearly 2 weeks because of illness and activities. Now it's well into the eating... err... Holiday season, and I have no idea how i'm going to avoid that second and third plate of turkey with stuffing and gravy. He could have something really fun with all of that.

Favourite Swim Sets:

JasoninHalifax wrote:
....but I think what would be ideal for him is to position himself as Mr AG Triathlete.

I agree, but let's be honest, there's more money in his Trainiac Platform, and his training camps.

But yea, I usually like the videos where he talks about HIM, how he approaches his training and his daily life. I do not care for his nutrition advice, nor do I care for him trying to break down Pro athlete's swim stroke. And now he's partnering with Lucy Charles, Cam Wurf, and other pros to bring even more coaching advice.

IMO, if he really wants to pursue this coaching thing, he should go out and start getting some real coaching certifications, instead of the Ironman U crap he decided to get.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Fleck] [ In reply to ]

Fleck wrote:
Go watch one of his recent videos. Dare I say the quality is good both in video and in content.

Thanks, Mark - I'll have a look.

I always find it fascinating how something like this can become such a massive phenomenon, and is still somewhat "underground" - but I'm not a parent of a young toddler/kid anymore, so it's not info/content that I'm actively seeking out either!

Steve, I have 3 kids: 10,8,6 and of course, they like their YouTube. I had never heard of this kid either! Lol. I asked my kids, and my one boy was like, oh ya, I watched him once. But he never got hooked onto it I guess lol.

JasoninHalifax wrote:
907Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Yeah, I saw that.

I'm well aware that I'm sitting on the sidelines in the peanut gallery here, but I think what would be ideal for him is to position himself as Mr AG Triathlete. Instead of trying to do all of these fancy things, with all the fancy gear, instead do something that highlights the challenges that we all face just trying to fit in a day of training. Between kids, family, social and work commitments it gets very tough for a lot of us.I haven't trained in nearly 2 weeks because of illness and activities. Now it's well into the eating... err... Holiday season, and I have no idea how i'm going to avoid that second and third plate of turkey with stuffing and gravy. He could have something really fun with all of that.

I think that's who he was originally. I watched him when I first got into the sport for this. But I now I see a guy with all high end gear, a wife who enables him to train a ton, no kids, a garage training cave, ability to go to high end training camps and its fine just not relatable for me as an "average AGer"

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

TulkasTri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
....but I think what would be ideal for him is to position himself as Mr AG Triathlete.

I agree, but let's be honest, there's more money in his Trainiac Platform, and his training camps.

But yea, I usually like the videos where he talks about HIM, how he approaches his training and his daily life. I do not care for his nutrition advice, nor do I care for him trying to break down Pro athlete's swim stroke. And now he's partnering with Lucy Charles, Cam Wurf, and other pros to bring even more coaching advice.

IMO, if he really wants to pursue this coaching thing, he should go out and start getting some real coaching certifications, instead of the Ironman U crap he decided to get.
What certification would make you comfortable trusting him to critique your swimming mechanics? Honest question, because it's probably the opinion of a majority of the swimmers on this forum that TT is never going to have the eye or experience to legitimately break down stroke mechanics. Setting up a training plan is not the only facet of coaching swimming. I've known a few tri coaches that will tell their athletes that other than setting time in the water and benchmark performances for goals, don't expect intense drill work and a stroke rebuild. Hey, at least they're honest. TT breaking down pros' swimming is like an amateur deciding what's wrong with Tiger's golf swing because they shot 78 last month. (many of them will and they sound like idiots).

Re: Triathlon Taren [DimaP] [ In reply to ]

DimaP wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
907Tri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
Fishbum wrote:

Yeah, I saw that.

I think that's who he was originally. I watched him when I first got into the sport for this. But I now I see a guy with all high end gear, a wife who enables him to train a ton, no kids, a garage training cave, ability to go to high end training camps and its fine just not relatable for me as an "average AGer"

Maybe I should start a youtube channel devoted to the AG triathlete. It would suck balls though, a lot of lying on the couch cuz I'm too tired to do anything else...

Favourite Swim Sets:

My kids would probably watch that (based on the fact that they watch other people play video games on youtube. smh)

Re: Triathlon Taren [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]

MEET RESULTS
MANITOBA MASTERS MARCH MADNESS SWIM MEET
MANITOBA - MAR 22, 2014

The part that I am stuck on is DQ results in swimming are normally not given a time at all.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)

Seeing a time/splits given alongside a DQ is the weirdest thing.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)

Re: Triathlon Taren [realAB] [ In reply to ]

Yeah, that is odd.

i wonder if it's becasue of whatever meet management software they were using...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Re: Triathlon Taren [DimaP] [ In reply to ]

I'm just really confused when people get mad because he's become slightly less of an "average AGer," because basically what they're saying is they want him to be successful, but only to a certain point. Why is it bad that he's gotten free stuff in exchange for hours of work?

I'm willing to bet if we did the math on what he's making/free stuff versus hours he's working, he's very much "average" it just so happens that his job is to train and not be a pro

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

TulkasTri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I think the only way for him to keep being Triathlon Taren is if the platform and training camps succeed. Realistically, what other revenue streams exist for that business? Talbot has contracts with pros for their content, some random Youtube ad money, and partnerships with brands. In a niche sport, none of those are enough to sustain a real business. One person on his own, yeah probably.

I'm with you in that I think his best videos are the ones just talking about his training - but uploading 365 that's just not sustainable

There's likely *some* money to be made at the whole coaching game. But you'd be surprised at how easy it is to fail at that, too.

To be honest, he could probably put together a subscription model for being Mr AG Triathlete and the content, pick up a couple of brand partnerships, and have enough money to live off of. He's got enough background in the media space to be able to make it work. But I think he wants to flip that on its head a bit.

Anyways. He's a good guy. Just needs to figure out what exactly he wants to build in the triathlon sandbox.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter

Re: Triathlon Taren [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]

ChasingPB wrote:
I'm just really confused when people get mad because he's become slightly less of an "average AGer," because basically what they're saying is they want him to be successful, but only to a certain point. Why is it bad that he's gotten free stuff in exchange for hours of work?

I'm willing to bet if we did the math on what he's making/free stuff versus hours he's working, he's very much "average" it just so happens that his job is to train and not be a pro

Im not mad, I just don't find it as relatable. And also it doesn't have to do with how he "ranks." If he won a 70.3 a year ago I wouldn't have liked the channel any less actually more. But him doing better as an AGer by having al the tools, toys and time to get there doesn't inspire or motivate or entertain me. And being relatable doesn't have to be a prerequisite for watching for everyone, I just don't enjoy it as much. I also have an issue with his authenticity and aspects of his ego but that's very subjective of course.

Bosox99104 wrote:
TulkasTri wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

I think the only way for him to keep being Triathlon Taren is if the platform and training camps succeed. Realistically, what other revenue streams exist for that business? Talbot has contracts with pros for their content, some random Youtube ad money, and partnerships with brands. In a niche sport, none of those are enough to sustain a real business. One person on his own, yeah probably.

I'm with you in that I think his best videos are the ones just talking about his training - but uploading 365 that's just not sustainable

Uploading 365days/yr is literally what most of the gamers who make money off twitch.com do, or come close to doing. That's the cost of doing business in the low-cost video blog business.

I'm not mad about him getting free stuff. That's what being an influencer is about. I'm just really annoyed that he spews bullshit out of his mouth every day: here take this spirulina...here this clear MCT oil (which has 130 KCals) won't take you out of a fast...don't take any whey protein because it will spike your blood sugar (dude just finished a two hour ride, take the whey idiot). My issue is I started following him when I was a beginner, he put out good information and hustled. Most people have problems with him because he stopped the work grind that the rest of us struggle with. Hey, if NTK is good with him not working (he said he had to chop their savings or someish, whined about how he made a mistake and Mel may loose her job). What he needed to do was to get his Social Media business to the point where it was autonomous and not shut it down. Don't sob to me about Mel to draw in support due to your flub up, make it straight with her so she has a runway to find a new gig.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Bosox99104 wrote:
I think the only way for him to keep being Triathlon Taren is if the platform and training camps succeed. Realistically, what other revenue streams exist for that business?

The interview's that are only on the podcast should be on YouTube too. That combined with a few reviews & it's similar to a ginger runner model.

However the platform is a tricky situation to reverse out of & there's no way you can do the above whilst trying to be a one man TrainerRoad, TrainingPeaks etc..

Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
I'm not mad about him getting free stuff. That's what being an influencer is about. I'm just really annoyed that he spews bullshit out of his mouth every day: here take this spirulina...here this clear MCT oil (which has 130 KCals) won't take you out of a fast...don't take any whey protein because it will spike your blood sugar (dude just finished a two hour ride, take the whey idiot). My issue is I started following him when I was a beginner, he put out good information and hustled. Most people have problems with him because he stopped the work grind that the rest of us struggle with. Hey, if NTK is good with him not working (he said he had to chop their savings or someish, whined about how he made a mistake and Mel may loose her job). What he needed to do was to get his Social Media business to the point where it was autonomous and not shut it down. Don't sob to me about Mel to draw in support due to your flub up, make it straight with her so she has a runway to find a new gig.

On the fact you don't like his nutrition... don't watch it. Really simple. I don't either

Re: bold portion It is not his fault he managed to make it where he can include training as a part of his job. That said, I'm willing to bet that he is still working over 40 hours a week without training. So still... very much a work grind.

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo

ChasingPB wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

On the fact you don't like his nutrition... don't watch it. Really simple. I don't either

Re: bold portion It is not his fault he managed to make it where he can include training as a part of his job. That said, I'm willing to bet that he is still working over 40 hours a week without training. So still... very much a work grind.

Hmmm maybe. When I alluded to his "ego" issues I watched enough early on to get the idea that like TheStroBro said, he's burnt through a lot of their savings for things like his "pain cave" and seems like NTK runs the whole house (cooking, cleaning, yard work) and he strikes me as a bit of a spoiled kid. And the way he's posted videos "addressing" negative feedback/comments, none of it a crime and if shes ok with it, he gets to "live the dream" just turned me off and I stropped watching a while ago.

Re: Triathlon Taren [dunno] [ In reply to ]

Amazing thanks for sharing!

Prev Next