Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]

As someone who's whole premise is now to spruik training plans and hints and tips he is in a different sphere compared to the original 'journey man' he used to portray.

As such he should be called out when he says stupid stuff about nutrition or training. I'm getting sick of him saying cold air is thinner when it is not. Cold air is more dense, hot air is less dense. And yet he continues to explain training variability due to the air being thinner because it's cold...just wrong wrong wrong.
Last edited by: dunno: Mar 5, 19 13:26

Re: Triathlon Taren [dunno] [ In reply to ]

I don't watch his videos much...but wtf did he say that? That's like 4th grade level science...a 9 year old would run circles around him.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

TheStroBro wrote:
I don't watch his videos much...but wtf did he say that? That's like 4th grade level science...a 9 year old would run circles around him.

Did you miss the one where he says MCT Oil doesn't break a fast in the morning because it's transparent in color?

Completely ignoring the fact that 1 tbsp of MCT oil has 130 calories from fat.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

No, I definitely caught that one. I then sent a sweet sabot round through that idea in a comment.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

Re: Triathlon Taren [lced0ut] [ In reply to ]

lced0ut wrote:
pacco wrote:
Did I hear right that he's not saying his name because he's not sure this person is even going to work with him?!?! At least he seems to understand he's a headcase that a 'coach' may not want to get within drafting distance of.

I thought the same thing while I was watching it, but after a little thought it could be that he hadn't talked to the couch about making it public yet.

I haven't watched this video yet (I'm a casual viewer and will watch them if the content interests me or for entertainment). However I think I know who the "coach" is.

Posted a couple of hours before taren's video went up, there was also a video posted by Effortless Swimming called "TRIATHLON TAREN: Before & After (7 secs/100m FASTER)". They also released a video going back a few months where he was analysing Taren's technique.
Last edited by: greasdupdeafguy: Mar 5, 19 17:09

Re: Triathlon Taren [greasdupdeafguy] [ In reply to ]

greasdupdeafguy wrote:
I haven't watched this video yet (I'm a casual viewer and will watch them if the content interests me or for entertainment). However I think I know who the "coach" is.

Posted a couple of hours before taren's video went up, there was also a video posted by Effortless Swimming called "TRIATHLON TAREN: Before & After (7 secs/100m FASTER)". They also released a video going back a few months where he was analysing Taren's technique.

I think that is unlikely. Brenton Ford (from effortless swimming) is a swim coach. He coaches triathletes to swim better, but I have never heard of him coaching cycling or running.

Re: Triathlon Taren [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]

RobInOz wrote:
greasdupdeafguy wrote:

I think that is unlikely. Brenton Ford (from effortless swimming) is a swim coach. He coaches triathletes to swim better, but I have never heard of him coaching cycling or running.

My mistake, I haven't watched the video and presumed Taren was just talking about a swim coach when I saw the two videos posted at about the same time.

I'm curious how all this training as basically a professional triathlete will result in the race coming up.

When I hear the paces for his running and then he says you only need to run 3-4 times a week I am just thinking that is only correct if you are actually already a good runner. Practically every triathlete I ever met who is relatively weakest at running seems to think they don't need to run a lot to improve. Kinda like how I suck most at swimming and don't go swimming a lot more to improve (although I am working on it after a dedicated swim camp).

He has me beat in the water but I'd run him down every time except in the seemingly very fast 70.3 WC where he swam and biked a bit faster than usual. I am guessing that faster time has more to do with the course and conditions than with actual big improvements. With the same times I'd never even qualify here in Europe.

Anyway, looking at his times it's clear to me he could benefit most by doing a dedicated running period. Get that half marathon time way down. Like with swimming those benefits stay with you once you get them.

But then I read here that someone who gave him pointers on running got blocked because he also mentioned weight. This is weird to me if you are trying to be a coach and also want to improve your performance. Sometimes you don't need a coach if you look at the numbers from several races in the past to determine where the biggest improvements are.

So I am curious for those final weeks. With WC being in the very nice Nice I don't expect a new qualification. I do expect a faster run time below 1:30. Otherwise I'd be disappointed with all the training if it were me. Lucky for me I train a lot less so I'm not easily disappointed for myself :)

Re: Triathlon Taren [tomdefietsbom] [ In reply to ]

I don't think he trains anywhere near like a professional athlete. His business gives him lots of flexibility in regards to when he trains. However you would be surprised how much time would be required to run the business.

Also kudos to Taren for getting so much training done on the Kickr and Treadmill during the terrible Canadian Winter conditions. I couldn't do that. Luckily I live in Australia and don't have to.

Having already qualified for Nice I am planning a run block of 6 runs per week. One of Taren's problems is injuries as a result of running. He seems to be trying to work around this issue rather than address it directly, but that is another topic.

All in all, I think Taren is doing a good job. I don't agree with a fair amount of what he says, but I still watch and enjoy his videos. And I hope he continues to do well both with his videos and triathlon times.

Re: Triathlon Taren [RobInOz] [ In reply to ]

RobInOz wrote:
greasdupdeafguy wrote:

Who's Brenton? Tarren just posted a video where he refers to this guy 'Bret' through the whole video?

Everyone is quick to critique but slow to put out their own content. Reality is there will always been numerous views on various topics, regardless of the source. Historically this has always been the case from training methods to diet to people's view/trends on topics. He's clearly build a following and audience and 99% of STers should be able to build even bigger audience by putting out better, correct information. Is the guy annoying at times? Yes. Is he a world class coach? No. Is he qualified to coach? I guess that depends on what an athletes needs are. There certainly are much and many more unqualified coaches out there.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TRobTri] [ In reply to ]

TRobTri wrote:
Everyone is quick to critique but slow to put out their own content. Reality is there will always been numerous views on various topics, regardless of the source. Historically this has always been the case from training methods to diet to people's view/trends on topics. He's clearly build a following and audience and 99% of STers should be able to build even bigger audience by putting out better, correct information. Is the guy annoying at times? Yes. Is he a world class coach? No. Is he qualified to coach? I guess that depends on what an athletes needs are. There certainly are much and many more unqualified coaches out there.
He is certainly faster than me.

And if everyone bags out someone who is different guys like him will disappear. Even if he brings 10 new people to the sport, then thats awesome.

For the record I only watch his news videos on youtube. I like that. Other stuff not so much.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.

How can he put out a video today about how I saved 7 secs per 100m with effortless swimming after 6 days ago posting the results of 12 months of focused time using tower26?

Re: Triathlon Taren [flight<bird] [ In reply to ]

flight<bird wrote:
How can he put out a video today about how I saved 7 secs per 100m with effortless swimming after 6 days ago posting the results of 12 months of focused time using tower26?

Because they are 2 different things. Effortless Swimming is the analysis (what to do). T26 is the means to get there.

I actually appreciated that he flat out said that Brenton saw things that Taren would have never picked up on, recognizing his own limitations.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [CU427] [ In reply to ]

I am not a triathlete (cyclist) but had one of his videos pop up on 10 beginner cycling mistakes. It was so utterly wrong from a physiology standpoint i would never trust another one of his videos. That's all i got.

Re: Triathlon Taren [ In reply to ]

23 pages on a Youtuber......really?

Re: Triathlon Taren [sjc166] [ In reply to ]

sjc166 wrote:
23 pages on a Youtuber......really?

You should see how many pages a female instagram fitness celebrity gets.

2x Deca-Ironman World Cup (10 Ironmans in 10 days), 2x Quintuple Ironman World Cup (5 Ironmans in 5 days), Ultraman, Ultra Marathoner, and I once did an Ironman.

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

He's so annoying, cuts off guest and get salty if someone makes a plug about one of their sponsors. I will give him credit thought, he trains hard and is dedicated to his craft. I can't fault him for that.

I ran into a couple of his videos a while back and did not like it, found him slightly over the top. I recently revisited his content partly because of this thread, and this time around thought it was quite good, production value is high. Some of the segments are a bit long for my taste, but overall good. What I wanted to add is that his wife adds a lot of value, very charming and compelling story.

Taren's videos now have commercials.

Re: Triathlon Taren [FastFor114.4] [ In reply to ]

FastFor114.4 wrote:
Taren's videos now have commercials.

Yeah, I saw the ad for the socks.

Re: Triathlon Taren [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]

I like counting forehead wrinkles in cringeworthy thumbnails.

Re: Triathlon Taren [bretzky] [ In reply to ]

bretzky wrote:
I like counting forehead wrinkles in cringeworthy thumbnails.

Bahahahahahahaha,

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3

Re: Triathlon Taren [bretzky] [ In reply to ]

I've watched a lot of Taren's videos. I think for the beginner triathlete they are good which is what I am. Lots of good info and training tips. If anything his videos open up your mind to ideas that you can further research for more specific instruction. Once again for beginners. For anyone who is moderate to advanced probably going to be annoying and pointless. One annoying thing is he does spend a ton of time with his shirt off or in a speedo. and I am sorry but no one looks good in a speedo. It is just physically impossible.

Re: Triathlon Taren [SoonerBorn] [ In reply to ]

SoonerBorn wrote:
I've watched a lot of Taren's videos. I think for the beginner triathlete they are good which is what I am. Lots of good info and training tips. If anything his videos open up your mind to ideas that you can further research for more specific instruction. Once again for beginners. For anyone who is moderate to advanced probably going to be annoying and pointless. One annoying thing is he does spend a ton of time with his shirt off or in a speedo. and I am sorry but no one looks good in a speedo. It is just physically impossible.

I look awesome in a speedo. #fact

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Prev Next