Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Larbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a direct reply to Larbot but has anyone had the issue of shifting from the small chainring to the large chainring and the chain falls IN getting stuck between the frame and the small chainring?

I'm out of ideas. I've had two trusted bike mechanics look at it and it's got all of us? It's the stock ROTOR and rings. Happens so sporadically that it's hard to understand what is unique that makes it happen.

Things like chainring orientation, derailure alignment, chain orientation have all been checked and rechecked. Chain is not worn. Has happened on every chain the bike has had. SRAM KMC doesn't matter.

I've added a chain catch which has helped but it happened today where the chain didn't fall behind the catch but got off the small chainring on the bottom side (but not stuck in between frame and brake like it has in the past) while the top was something odd between the catch and the small ring while the derailure was over the large chainring. Rear cog was in the middle so no extreme cross chaining.

Pulled it out and immediately started shifting from small to big trying to make it happen again. Nope. All good. I was shifting from warming up to starting to pedal. Wasn't under tension. Was a smooth pull of the shifter lever. I don't know how/what/why it happened.

Shifts super smooth all other times except for when it does this.

I live in Florida so I don't have to worry too much but have IMLP coming up and I'd prefer to not be coming down and have my chainring lock up my pedals and crash.

I hope someone points out something obvious and I feel dumb but get it fixed. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What gruppo? SRAM Red or Di2? From personal experience, I found the SRAM Red's FD was more flexible and was prone to mis-shifting and thus dropping the chain when going up to the big chainring, often skipping into the gap between the BB and the small ring, made worse when shifting under power. A chain catcher sometimes stopped the chain from jamming down by the BB, but sometimes not! Last winter I converted my P5 to Di2, and I used a Dura-Ace FD-9070 in my parts selection. The bracing this FD uses, with a set screw butted against the FD mount, has made the whole FD assembly very rigid, mitigating the problem to a rarity. I'm using QRings vs the standard Rotor rings, BTW.

DM
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM Red. Hmm sounds like safety is the justification to the wife for Di2 upgrade.

What you describe sounds exactly what I'm experiencing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Apologies if this has already been asked:

Is anyone running their P5 with a mechanical brake? I'd like to use my Di2 brake lever/shifters, and not have to hack it apart to mod the shifter buttons to stick on the magura levers. (I'm antipodean so my right lever is my front brake and also the rear shifter).

Currently would use a 6800 ultra front. It looks like it'd be too wide for the fairing.

So has anyone out there had any luck with other front brakes and the standard P5 fairing to keep that nice clean front end?

Thanks,
James
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jnags7 wrote:
Not a direct reply to Larbot but has anyone had the issue of shifting from the small chainring to the large chainring and the chain falls IN getting stuck between the frame and the small chainring?

I'm out of ideas. I've had two trusted bike mechanics look at it and it's got all of us? It's the stock ROTOR and rings. Happens so sporadically that it's hard to understand what is unique that makes it happen.

Things like chainring orientation, derailure alignment, chain orientation have all been checked and rechecked. Chain is not worn. Has happened on every chain the bike has had. SRAM KMC doesn't matter.

I've added a chain catch which has helped but it happened today where the chain didn't fall behind the catch but got off the small chainring on the bottom side (but not stuck in between frame and brake like it has in the past) while the top was something odd between the catch and the small ring while the derailure was over the large chainring. Rear cog was in the middle so no extreme cross chaining.

Pulled it out and immediately started shifting from small to big trying to make it happen again. Nope. All good. I was shifting from warming up to starting to pedal. Wasn't under tension. Was a smooth pull of the shifter lever. I don't know how/what/why it happened.

Shifts super smooth all other times except for when it does this.

I live in Florida so I don't have to worry too much but have IMLP coming up and I'd prefer to not be coming down and have my chainring lock up my pedals and crash.

I hope someone points out something obvious and I feel dumb but get it fixed. Thanks.

I might recommend posting something like this in the forum as its own issue given that this is not really a "P5 specific" problem. It, in some way, is a tuning problem. But also given that another response has suggested something similar, I might recommend trying a SRAM Force/Rival FD + a K Edge chain catcher rather than the SRAM Red with integrated chain catcher (if that's what you have, right?). A little more robust of a system, potentially...?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [discostu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but it takes some modification of the brake cover fairings

Omega X, magnets, sugru

https://drive.google.com/...eEZTeFRlVW9velU/edit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had that happen only once in 2+ years on the P5. The one time I was in the 2nd cog in back. I find that if I am in at least the 3rd cog shifting to the small chainring is no problem. I rode this bike in LP w/ no issues and a great ride!

Hope this helps.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Jul 15, 15 5:05
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zach so those are the original fairings that you modified?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [discostu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. Also made the beard magnetically removable via a 3d printed piece I made.
Last edited by: zachboring: Jul 15, 15 6:42
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an outstanding job, probably a little beyond my doing though
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to 'highjack' but can't find a link to put up a new post of my own. (so I replied to the last post on The Official P5 Thread) still learning my way around here

Low bar mount pad screws stripping

(is anyone else having this problem?)

I know how intolerant aluminum is to over-tightening and have been extremely careful at all times when tightening the screws on my pads.

However, last Saturday when after a ‘constantly loosening front screw’ my left arm rest finally gave out and popped off from the rear screw hole as well, being that the front has been loosening up for weeks I freaked. I had just re-tightened the rear screw a few minutes earlier on the ride but this time my weight just popped it off and it hit the road. I stuck it into my X-Lab Rocket Pocket and finished the ride (left hand on the base bar).

I've contacted my dealer and he's checking with Cervelo but he informed me that what I thought was a refurbished low bar mount (apparent plugs into the alloy) was actually a newer "reinforced" version. However it appears this fix is not the answer.

The problem seems to occur when one adds the BTA bottle bridge, which shortens the length of the screws that go into the bar mount. Making the their reach even shorter and weaker than without the bridge.

My suggestion would be to machine level recesses on the underside of the low bar mount for “nuts and LONGER screws” (no more stripping).

What do you think?

Last edited by: radesignz: Jul 15, 15 7:28
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [radesignz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure longer screws came with the bike spare parts to use when installing the bridge piece.

Quote | Reply
That was my first thought too, but after checking the bag of spare parts (including the High V mount) I found no other screws. :-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They did for me - a bag with about 10 screws of different lengths. I had just this problem the first time I used a BTA bottle mount and with it that plate that you screw across the bars. Put in the original screws and about 10 miles into my (luckily training) ride one side of the pads popped off, leaving me with brown shorts and a tri pad bouncing down the road behind me. To get me through the rest of my ride, I put in one of the bottle mount screws to each side which worked. Upon returning home, I went to the bag of bolts and have put in 4 longer ones. No trouble since and I have raced some pretty rough road surfaces this year!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike - "Brilliant" quick fix, you just solved my immediate problem so I can do my Wednesday evening ride. The bottle screw holds FIRM if a bit high for the pad, but it works! THANK YOU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glad it helped. I'm sure your local hardware store will be able to sort you out tomorrow morning.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, just take the short screws in to any reputable hardware store and they can match them with a longer version.

Quote | Reply
Awesome, THANKS GUYS!
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi! My height is 5'7" and my inseam 29,5 inch. Which size Cervélo p5 the best choice for me? 48 or 51
I shuold appreciate your advice this matter
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Orbilius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too joined the P5 club this year. After a critical carbon failure of my last bike, a 2014 mechanical model was discounted enough at my LBS to receive spousal approval. It fit me perfectly and I'm absolutely thrilled with it.

Here it is on its maiden race. I PB'd by 10 minutes on a Half Iron and it was good for 19th fastest bike split AG OA.

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [misi84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm 5'6" and a 29" inseam, and fit great on my 51cm P5. Cervelo has a PDF which you can chart (page 3) your stack and reach to find a frame size to fit your numbers. http://www.cervelo.com/...e-71c6b8e317eb-0.pdf
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [IronLiam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NICE PIC, need to get someone to shoot one for me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very nice ride and setup IronLiam and congrats on the great bike split!!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sharp eye Candice!

I'm extremely pleased with how all nine XLab products integrated onto the P5. Not all can be spotted - torpedo mount is hidden between my arms and the speed chuck and levers are in the pod.

However, I'm still playing around with where to place the tool kit. Behind me seems more out of the wind than on the down tube - but I'd love to see something utilizing that horizontal bolt above the crank one day.

BTW, I appreciate the colour match - functional AND fashionable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha I have been called hawk eye by some :)

I think a few people would like to see something above the crank area, but you definitely have it in the best spot for now.

Happy to make gear practical and fashionable - the color coordination was a total fluke (our colors have always been red, black and white), but we'll take it!

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply

Prev Next