Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffp wrote:
or get a p5-6 and order a non-matching p3 fork to go with it ;)

OR - order the P5-6, and I'll trade ya my P5-3 fork, straight up.
(it was brand new as of Feb '14, and only has ~750 miles on it to date)
I'll even pay the shipping.

I'll never race UCI tt's, so being a triathlete w/ the P5-3 fork is kinda a waste for me.

So, to the prior poster - PM me if interested, and you actually end up getting a P5-6 and want to swap.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or I'm pretty sure I've got a NIB P5-3 fork in the shed.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [-BrandonMarshTX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is nice of you, thanks. However, this probably just makes my decision a bit easier as I was torn between the P5-3 and the P3. Might as well go with the flow and focus on the P3.

Now I can agonize over which P3. And that P3 vs the SC 7.5/9.5.

Scott
Quote Reply
Post deleted by GreatScott [ In reply to ]
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:
GreatScott,

We are not continuing with the P5 Three option. 99.9% of P5 riders are using them for Triathlon and since the P3 is a really good UCI legal option, there didn't seem to be room left for the P5 Three. That said, some retailers might still have that bike in stock.

Thanks,

That makes sense, thanks. Looking at this from the other direction, what are some options for upgrading the P3 fork?

Would something like Cervelo's FK38 work on the P3?

Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
David Byer wrote:
GreatScott,

We are not continuing with the P5 Three option. 99.9% of P5 riders are using them for Triathlon and since the P3 is a really good UCI legal option, there didn't seem to be room left for the P5 Three. That said, some retailers might still have that bike in stock.

Thanks,

David, as a P5-3 rider, I am surprised you are discontinuing the the P5-3. What will your Pro Tour riders use in the Tour de France in future? The P3? If Pro Tour riders keep riding the P5-3, and you don't actually sell it any more, then that's not really on, is it?
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
UCI has several rules that make certain bikes illegal. There is a 3:1 tube rule.... cant be more than 3 times as long as it is wide. Additionally you can use any ferrings or covers unless they are functional..... and some saddle position rules as well. The biggest deal between UCI legal and not is the 3 to 1 rule.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [m091554] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dear Damon and all the P5 owners,

I am trying to decide the most optimal aero solution to carry flats kit which includes - 2 spare tubes, 2 co2 cartridges, 2 livers and inflator head. i am carrying with me a BTA bottle and another one behind the saddle. now - what is the best solution to carry the flats kit mention above?

one option is to use a double rear carrier behind the seat, but this is less aero than 1 bottle due to the extra width. another option is to use a large Bento Box like the 483 Dark Speed Works, but i don't know if it's can hold all the flats kit - do you know?

any other solution? what other p5 owners that race IM triathlon use?

Damon - what is better from aero point of view - double rear bottles or one bottle behind the seat plus a Bento Box?

thanks in advance.

Ziv Sade
IronMan Age Grouper & Endurance Athlete
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Jensentri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm borrowing a friends Zipp Super 9 disc for a race this weekend and I'm getting some serious rubbing on the brake pads. I have the screw in the Magura lever backed all the way out, so the brakes are as wide as they go.

Do other people running this setup have to shave the brake pads down, or is there another way to widen the Magura caliper even more so the wheel fits (other than via the screw at the lever)?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Crocwrestler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had to shave down my brake pads for both my 808 and my Super 9 setup, so I think that is the way to go with these super wide rims...
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Jensentri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gotcha and thanks for the reply.
Quote Reply
Re: Another Aduro recall? [David Byer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi David and Damon,

I've a problem with my Aduro base bar and extension on my Cervelo P5

The Low extension mount is moving a little bit and I'm afraid about having the same issue as showed on the recall aduro bar with High V mount.
The forward extension mounts can detach from the base bar while riding

I checked the serial number of the base bar and it's not a number with 12007 or earlier, so normally, I'm not concerned with the recall.

I've a race on tomorrow morning and I'm not sure if it's safe to use the P5

Sorry for my English and hope you can answer quickly

Regards
Denis Terrapon

Last edited by: Terrapon: Sep 6, 14 9:18
Quote Reply
Re: Another Aduro recall? [Terrapon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dennis,

Please take your bike to a Cervelo retailer. It's not possible to diagnose these details on the internet. Sorry for the delay in my reply - I'm on the road and don't have easy access to internet.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [Crocwrestler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi wrestler,

Shaving the brake pads works well. Another source of space is to move the wheel and brake shoes rearward. This lets the shoes attach to the brake where the arms taper more open. On the P5, aerodynamic drag is unaffected until you can slip a 6 mm allen key between the tire and frame.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [zivsade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zivsade wrote:
one option is to use a double rear carrier behind the seat, but this is less aero than 1 bottle due to the extra width. another option is to use a large Bento Box like the 483 Dark Speed Works, but i don't know if it's can hold all the flats kit - do you know?

If you want to use a Speedpack 483D to hold some of your flat kit, we typically recommend that you put your hard, heavy, and weather resistant items (tire levers, inflator, CO2 cartridges) behind your seat. Usually it's easy to tape them with electrical tape to the the saddle rails just above the seat post. Then you can put 1 or 2 small tubes in your Speedpack 483D, where they will be protected and ready to use. If you use 1 spare tube, you'll even have extra space in your 483D for some race nutrition.

Hope that helps,
Greg @ dsw

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
zivsade wrote:

If you want to use a Speedpack 483D to hold some of your flat kit, we typically recommend that you put your hard, heavy, and weather resistant items (tire levers, inflator, CO2 cartridges) behind your seat. Usually it's easy to tape them with electrical tape to the the saddle rails just above the seat post. Then you can put 1 or 2 small tubes in your Speedpack 483D, where they will be protected and ready to use. If you use 1 spare tube, you'll even have extra space in your 483D for some race nutrition.

Hope that helps,
Greg @ dsw

Yes, this.

In the past, I've stuffed a micro-minipump and the CO2 inflator under the saddle, held in place w/ velcro straps.
Tube and tire levers (and some some self-stick patches - which don't always work, but at least give you some additional repair attempts, if you need more) and $1 and $5 bills (the $1 is for a tire boot, $5 for 'emergency' food and/or drink) all in the DSW aero bento.

For whatever reason, right now I've got this reversed, and the tube is under the saddle (I really shoulda at least put it in a ziplock bag) and the other stuff is in the bento.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
27 days out from Kona and my P4 size 51 failed under warranty. Cervelo had no P4's in my size to replace the frame so are offering the P5 in size 48.

I have started through the thread, but not finished the 145 pages, so apologies if this has been answered before. I appreciate your patience. Time is short.

1. On the P4, I have a SRAM 975 Quarq. Will that fit OK on the P5 or do I need to get a different bottom bracket and if so, which one?
2. On the P4 I have the old one piece Easton Attacks, so pads are nearly flat to the base bar with straight extensions. On the P5, then I assume I will want the Low, and the lowest extensions?
3. Will the x-lab Torpedo bottle set up with the Garmin out front work with the P5 cockpit?
4. Boo, I am losing tubular storage with the P4. It looks like folks are considering a bottle behind the seat for that? Any other ideas?
5. I will be packing my own bike so any tips or tricks for packing and putting back together? (fork will stay on).

Anything else I should know?

Many thanks!
Last edited by: highflyer: Sep 13, 14 14:35
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [highflyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
u can for sure use 975 - i am using it
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used the 975 as well, however, it's a GXP bb (as I recall) so you won't be able to use the bb that comes with the P5. Rotor makes a Bbright bottom bracket that works with the GXP.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [thechromedome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's an awesome story! I'm another one who frequents this thread hoping to own a P5 one day. Thanks for putting pants on before taking, and sharing, the pic
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't panic, we're here for ya brother ;-)

• I have my spare tubular, 2 x CO2, inflator, and tire lever (in case I've overglued) all nicely stuck in a tall water bottle, and I'm carrying behind the seat.
  • As an added bonus hint - listen up Slowtwitchers...GOLD here - fold up a couple of paper towels into the top of the bottle before sealing it. They work great to stop the rattling of the CO2, AND, are there to wipe your hands clean of chain lube if you get messy changing out a rear flat.
  • Grab a top-tube mounted storage bag from Dark Speed Works for nutrition. You'll love the bolt-on to the integrated bosses feature.
  • If you private reply to me I can email you directly some documents that I have pulled from various sources. Owner's manual, Aduro bar manual, assembly manual, etc.

Here's a packing briefing, taken from the Cervelo web site I think. Are you using a hard-shell case? Fork on is...going to be tough to do. The hydraulic brake lines and cable routing make it tough to get around completely disassembling the entire front end:

Travelling with a P5
• Remove the front brake from the fork. The removal of the front brake cover is not necessary.
• Loosen the stem pinch bolts with a 4mm Allen wrench
• Remove the high mount or the top cover if using the low mount of the 3T Aduro Aerobar.
• Remove the top cap and drop the fork out of the frame.
• Remove headset parts and place aside.
• Remove the beard from the fairing mount.
• Remove the rear derailleur, leaving the e-wire connected.
• Lay the bike frame & fork into the case.
• Put protective padding between the frame and the aerobar to prevent damage during transportation.
• Wrap protective padding around exposed parts of the frame, rear derailleur, crankset, and fork to prevent transportation damage.
• Place any loose parts (headset, bolts, etc) in a small bag. It is advisable to secure the small parts bag so it doesn’t move around and cause potential damage.
• Cover the frame and components with foam or other sufficient padding.
• Remove the skewers from the wheels and attach them to the spokes.
• Tighten down the straps and put the cover on the case.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DougWelsby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DougWelsby wrote:
Don't panic, we're here for ya brother ;-)

• I have my spare tubular, 2 x CO2, inflator, and tire lever (in case I've overglued) all nicely stuck in a tall water bottle, and I'm carrying behind the seat.
  • As an added bonus hint - listen up Slowtwitchers...GOLD here - fold up a couple of paper towels into the top of the bottle before sealing it. They work great to stop the rattling of the CO2, AND, are there to wipe your hands clean of chain lube if you get messy changing out a rear flat.
  • Grab a top-tube mounted storage bag from Dark Speed Works for nutrition. You'll love the bolt-on to the integrated bosses feature.
  • If you private reply to me I can email you directly some documents that I have pulled from various sources. Owner's manual, Aduro bar manual, assembly manual, etc.

Here's a packing briefing, taken from the Cervelo web site I think. Are you using a hard-shell case? Fork on is...going to be tough to do. The hydraulic brake lines and cable routing make it tough to get around completely disassembling the entire front end:

Travelling with a P5
• Remove the front brake from the fork. The removal of the front brake cover is not necessary.
• Loosen the stem pinch bolts with a 4mm Allen wrench
• Remove the high mount or the top cover if using the low mount of the 3T Aduro Aerobar.
• Remove the top cap and drop the fork out of the frame.
• Remove headset parts and place aside.
• Remove the beard from the fairing mount.
• Remove the rear derailleur, leaving the e-wire connected.
• Lay the bike frame & fork into the case.
• Put protective padding between the frame and the aerobar to prevent damage during transportation.
• Wrap protective padding around exposed parts of the frame, rear derailleur, crankset, and fork to prevent transportation damage.
• Place any loose parts (headset, bolts, etc) in a small bag. It is advisable to secure the small parts bag so it doesn’t move around and cause potential damage.
• Remove the skewers from the wheels and attach them to the spokes.
• Tighten down the straps and put the cover on the case.

OK! :) trying not to panic. My bike case is a Bike Pro case that requires the fork to stay in place as then the fork is locked into a plate that the bike sits on. So, let's hope the bike fits in that way. That is some packing list there. I read earlier in the thread to be very careful with the headset layers as they are tricky to put back together.

Thanks for all the additional tips. Very helpful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Highflyer,

We have you covered. I'll give you some quick answers here but, feel free to PM and we can talk more details. I am confident that you will get all the right stuff through your shop with plenty of time.

highflyer wrote:

1. On the P4, I have a SRAM 975 Quarq. Will that fit OK on the P5 or do I need to get a different bottom bracket and if so, which one?
Yes, it will work. The BB will depend on which one you have - likely the GXP one. Have your shop take it out and request the proper option from our team.

highflyer wrote:

2. On the P4 I have the old one piece Easton Attacks, so pads are nearly flat to the base bar with straight extensions. On the P5, then I assume I will want the Low, and the lowest extensions?
Sounds like the Low will work. However, it depends on whether you are using any spacers.

highflyer wrote:
3. Will the x-lab Torpedo bottle set up with the Garmin out front work with the P5 cockpit?
Yup. Torpedo shouldn't be an issue but, we might have to get creative with your Garmin. There are many people on this thread that have tried different options and I'm sure you'll hear some great suggestions.

highflyer wrote:
4. Boo, I am losing tubular storage with the P4. It looks like folks are considering a bottle behind the seat for that? Any other ideas?
I think someone beat me to this option. I have seen some pretty nifty behind-the-seat options though...

highflyer wrote:
5. I will be packing my own bike so any tips or tricks for packing and putting back together? (fork will stay on).
Depends on your case but, there is a good chance that you will have to drop the fork out. The main thing to remember is to be systematic about it (and take your time). If I remove a bolt, I thread it back into the same place (think specifically of the beard).

Here is a great source for you to check out: http://www.cervelo.com/...do-i-pack-my-p5.html

highflyer wrote:
Anything else I should know?
Yup: the P5 is awesome. Also, no need to panic. We'll be in the expo at Kona and can go over your bike and make sure you are ready to race. We'll have some exceptional mechanics with us.

Forgive the forum brevity here. I have every confidence that we'll get you sorted out. PM with any further concerns.

Thanks,

David Byer
Cervιlo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate this.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damon_rinard wrote:
Hi MTM,

You can ask, but I can't comment on the comparison bars. ;-)

Hacking the pads closer simply requires any kind of metal plate to shift the bolt holes. That's how Garmin hacked Vandevelde's P5:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/...me-trial-tech/224781

Cheers,
Damon:
I think elsewhere in this thread you have stated that spacers such as these are available because the pads use industry standard mounts. Can you advise on who makes these and where they can be purchased?
Quote Reply

Prev Next