Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, there is another option, drop a loose cog (no need for machining, or for buying a new lockring). See details here in this post.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah, I see (I think), however the way I read it, in order to get 11-speed on my Zipps, I still need to re-hub it, so I'm still stuck with 10-speed on my Zipps, no? The whole point of doing the Eastons is how inexpensive and simple it is to get into 11-speed, and how easy it is to go back to 10-speed when I swap bikes. Literally a 1-minute job with the most basic tools!

Dave
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
Ah, I see (I think), however the way I read it, in order to get 11-speed on my Zipps, I still need to re-hub it, so I'm still stuck with 10-speed on my Zipps, no?

Yes, that's essentially correct. Because the solution proposed in that linked post (above) is not "how to get 11 cogs on to a 8/9/10-speed rear wheel."

More, it is how to get your existing quiver of 8/9/10-speed wheels to work perfectly (at minimal hassle and cost) with any new bike that has shimano 11-speed components/drivetrain.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Apr 28, 14 14:23
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon,
I am sure this has been discussed in this thread before but could you remind me in was any meaningful aero difference in increasing arm pad stack with spacers under arm rests directly vs using Aduro stem spacers?
thanks
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi drgwood,

We've found no significant difference aerodynamically. Of course, the base bar is lower (or higher), which could be an important consideration for some riders.

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
CSG Road Engineering Department
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
(ex-Cervelo, ex-Trek, ex-Velomax, ex-Kestrel)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon
thanks. heading back to tunnel and if end up needing to go up a few mm on bars after refitting my saddle height up a few mm, I just wanted to make sure that doing it with spacers under arm pads was same aerowise as spacers under fork. of course it woudld be a lot cheaper too since I would need a new fork cut a bit longer as well ha ha
Cheers
Rob
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [drgwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob, [edited to correct a typo, was "Hi Rib,"]

Just get one of those Park Fork Stretchers, PFS-1 I think they call it. LOL! (just kidding)

Have fun in the tunnel. You're probably already planning to totally disconnect all the cables to make bar changes faster. We always do.

We like to make one run to take a baseline with the rider's current position and equipment "as-is" right off the bat (cables already disconnected).
Then for the second run, we swap out the entire bars and stem for easily adjustable bars and, especially, a Look Ergo Stem, set initially in the same position. Then adjustments for following runs are fast and easy.

After testing, we re-install the real bar and stem in the new position.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Last edited by: damon_rinard: Apr 29, 14 9:17
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yep thanks
tricks of the trade always helpful
appreciate your help as always
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damon, I've been on a different planet, and just learned about the recall on the bars. What's the expected turnaround time if I bring my bike to a Cervelo shop? Is this something that gets done in days or a couple weeks? I've got a race coming up.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Depends on the shop, but in my experience it's 1-3 days. Depends a bit on various things but "should" be a fairly quick turnaround. Oh, once they have the bar. You should be able to submit your Aduro serial # to the shop and have them get the replacement before you bring your bike in.
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
its not true actually cervelo requires u to bring the bike and prove destruction of old bar BEFORE they send the new one, so the shipping time adds to the delay
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, how many Aduro recalls like that have you done?
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 29, 14 18:24
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...well at least this is what we have to deal with in singapore
Quote Reply
Re: The official Cervelo P5 thread [denali2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi denali,

Glad the news has reached you. Our priority is for you safety.

We have replacement bars in stock, ready to ship, at our Toronto headquarters, and it's true we must have photo evidence that the affected bar is destroyed. It's legally required of us by the U.S. CPSC.

Please just bring your P5 to any Cervelo retailer. They have the complete CPSC recall inspection and replacement protocol from us and can get the process started right away.

Thanks,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
BTA bottle position/direction [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize this might be getting into the aero minutia, but just curious. Most of my events are around 40k and I use the P5 built-in BTA mount with a standard bottle and X-Lab cage. Sometimes I go with an Arundel Chrono setup on the downtube since I like to have one bottle for water and one for an electrolyte drink. So two questions: how much penalty is there for a standard bottle/cage on the downtube vs. what I got vs. nothing and secondly does the direction of the bottle on the BTA make a difference? I actually like to run it with the top pointing towards me, leaving room for a Barfly Garmin mount on the extensions. I thought most of the bottle on the BTA is shielded by my arms anyway. Thanks.

Rob

--------------------------------------------------
Non-Swimming Duathlete
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [rbrnut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Rob,

The P5 is fastest with no bottle and no cage on the down tube. Adding an aero bottle, such as the Arundel, adds about 25 grams or 2.5 Watts. Adding a round bottle and cage adds about 50 grams or 5 Watts.

Adding a BTA bottle reduced drag by about 40 grams or 4 Watts for our test rider; results may vary. We positioned the bottle with the lid forward but I suspect it doesn't matter.

More info here: http://www.cervelo.com/...nd-aerodynamics.html

"Hydration and Aerodynamics: What’s the best place for my water bottle, and how much does it really affect my aerodynamics?"

Cheers,

Damon Rinard
Engineering Manager,
Cannondale & GT Bicycles
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Damon, et al.

I'm a relatively new member of Team P5 (as my P4 met an early demise last August), and appreciate all the input.

I read the link you posted, but the info is a few years old, and mostly pertained to the P4 - which, w/ the integrated P4 bottle, eliminated the need to search for other bottle options on the frame.

With the P5, after the BTA bottle as Option #1, which aero bottle and in what position on the frame is most optimal for the P5?

I'm using the BTA for shorter races, and a regular round bottle on the frame for training, but for carrying more fuel/fluids in a longer race, I'm trying to figure out what the consensus is for the best of the current aero bottle offerings for a P5.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [damon_rinard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damon or anyone else: How do u get the brake cover on? I have a p5-3 and everytime I go to put the brake cover on, it pushes on the brake arm and prevents the brake from opening. It may be a brake noodle issue, would help to have a picture from someone's bike, Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what the consensus is for the best of the current aero bottle offerings for a P5.

Welcome to the team.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eric how did you affix the cage to the seat?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suspect it's just me....but at 180cm of height, riding a 56 size frame, I cannot comfortably reach a bottle that I had mounted on the down tube during training. Quite odd!

So for most of my training ides, I just use the BTA mounted on a X-Lab torpedo bracket. Carries the bottle well...but I wonder the penalty of having to pick it up, drink, and put it back in...not only am I out of aero, but I drop my pedalling cadence too. Will get the X-lab bottle with the straw when I am in the US this June.

For longer races, I use the X-Lab carbon wing. I can put two bottles back there and also carry the pouch for my wheel repair kit (1 C02, nozzle, tube, 2 levers). Start with a electrolyte bottle in the BTA, and water in the back. Then get more water on course and for iron distance....alternate GU brew and water between each bottle. I think for well supported races such as Ironman and Challenge events, it's almost not worth carrying bottle behind as they had weight and drag, but if I get rid of the x-lab carbon wing, I don't know where I'd carry my flat kit as my trisuit pocket is no where near big enough to carry it. I'm not ready for the "If I flat I drop out" commitment some racers have to stellar times! I had to spend 10 minutes fixing my P5 in a 70.3 event and still managed to make back the time to qualify for the WCs, so I need my flat repair security blanket just in case. Where/How else could I store this on a P5 if I don't use the carbon wing?

In any event, the bento box storage unit is a great addition to our P5s for carrying gels, salt tablets, and GU brew pellets.
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheapo budget way: zip ties are your friend

expensive way: buy an xlab seat mount (specific to models, check their website) and a X lab cage
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [Mr.Pie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yep zippties .. just dont think u can get it almost horizontal with zipties thus curious
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Hi Damon, et al.
I'm a relatively new member of Team P5 (as my P4 met an early demise last August), and appreciate all the input.

Curious, how did your P4 end its service?
Are you now on a P5-six, or P5-three?

Greg @ dsw

--
Quote Reply
Re: BTA bottle position/direction [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Murphy'sLaw wrote:
Hi Damon, et al.

Curious, how did your P4 end its service?
Are you now on a P5-six, or P5-three?

Greg @ dsw

It went out not with a bang, but with a whimper. The R brake died.
The center brake boss, that the eccentric pivot/dogbone mechanism pivoted on, cracked out of the frame, rendering it usesless, and rubbing on the tire.
It couldn't be fixed or replaced, so my LBS (BIG PROPS to Bikeway and Cervelo for taking such great care of me!!) worked w/ the big C, and eventually got me the P5.
It's whatever the standard fork and bars version is. Doesn't have the "beard" fairing over the brake.

Eventually I'll hafta order up a shiny new DSW aero bento for the P5.
I'm using the original one, and the front straps juuust barely make it (I'd trimmed them for the P4, which had a constant-radius top tube), and it would look cleaner with the proper pack mounted there.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply

Prev Next