Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [valygrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
valygrl wrote:
Trying to update firmware on my G3, I downloaded PowerAgent, connected the hub. It detects my device, and when I select "Configure Device" it reads the version from it (16.021, not the latest) But when I "Check for Update" I get the message "Error connecting to the firmware server"

Anyone know what to do about this?

Answering this here for anyone who has the same issue:

You have to set up a user in the PowerAgent software, then it works.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Declan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Declan wrote:
I attempted to merge after downloading. I am unable to do so as for either day as it says that "One or more activities overlap". The activities do not overlap.

Has anyone found a fix for this?

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [mobix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mobix wrote:
I have a question for powertap which I originally posted here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tap%20wired;#4605859

Basically cannot get any transmission icon (batteries are ok and it was working before).
I checked the inner cables and they are all connected to the 4 pins in the cradle plates.
This seems strange to me (I thought that each cable goes to a single pin) but confirming will help me to identify the problem.
Thanks

It's hard to say if it is just the wire harness that is causing you trouble or the hub itself without another harness to try out. If you can find a friend with an extra wire kit or even a set up on their bike you can use that to check things over and through process of elimination determine if it is the wire. Alternatively, you could order a harness it, check it and if that isn't it return the harness. Hope this helps.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Declan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Declan wrote:
I downloaded the new version of the Software yesterday. I always used to use the old Merge function, ie merging before saving. After yesterdays and todays ride at that function was unavailable I attempted to merge after downloading. I am unable to do so as for either day as it says that "One or more activities overlap". The activities do not overlap.

Is it possible for me to download the old version of the software so that I can go back to merging the data before saving?

It's possible that some Cervo devices record a few extra packets of data throwing off the merge feature. One possible way around this (besides rolling back PowerAgent) is to adjust the auto-merge setting under Edit|Preferences. It's actually a setting called "Maximum time between rides"

Try increasing that from the default 1 minute to 15 and see if the ride comes through as you desire.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any luck with tech. support?
Quote:
Just tried again - same thing. Tried 3 different computers this morning.
I have a call in to tech support, haven't heard back, no case#.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, thanks for following up. I had to set up a user profile in PowerAgent for the updater to work. I never did that, since I use WKO+ and only downloaded PowerAgent in order to do the update. There's nothing in the software UI to lead you to believe that is required.

I have to say - the tech support experience was not stellar, I had to call back and start over again (after waiting for a week), and the tech support guy treated me like I was stupid, didn't know what a "trouble ticket" was, and apparently you have no case-management software, there was no record of my previous call even though it was supposedly forwarded to the developer.

Once my information got to the developer, the response was quick and worked.

Everyone on here says "the tech support is so great" about Cycleops - but that wasn't my experience. You guys need case tracking software.

http://www.salesforce.com if you don't want to build it yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [whrlkng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry I missed your question originally-

Yes, smoothing is now supported in Joule but you'll need to upgrade to 18.057 via PowerAgent.

You can select any metric for the bottom row via PowerAgent (there are two drop downs that by default say "average" and "maximum" but if you select them you change to specific metrics. The one down side is that they carry through all dashboards which means you give up the 2nd and 3rd options for any group on the dashboard.

Hope that helps, it's a little hard to explain in text.

whrlkng wrote:
whrlkng wrote:
I have some questions about the Joule (non-GPS) computer:

firmware 18.045 Joule, 16.030 G3 , 7.5.7.34 PA

1. Is power display averaging a feature of the Joule unit or no? Setting the average to 5 sec. with PA doesn't seem to make any difference on my display ( and I've used the older Cervo units long enough to tell the difference between 1 sec and 5 sec averages ). Also on the Cervo units, when I went into the device configuration options via PA, the current averaging selection ( 1,2,3,5 sec. ) that I was using was shown in the drop-down selection ( which confirmed for me what average I was using). However, when I enter that PA menu with the Joule the display is blank - no matter what I chose on the previous config. So, if someone could confirm either way, thx.

2. The device config in PA ( and the Joule manual ) shows the bottom line of the dashboards being customisable. Yet after exiting the config mode, my unit displays the same two metrics on all three dashboards ( i.e. the large display and the second, smaller line change but not the bottom line ) . i.e. Can this line be customized?

any answer, no matter how brief, will be appreciated, thanks.

Jesse Bartholomew

Last edited by: powertap: Jun 12, 13 14:47
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know if this has been discussed, but looks there is a new website ( http://www.powertap.com/collections/hubs ) on which the Pro model (or any road model less than $1300) is nowhere to be found.

At first blush, seems to make very little business sense. I am a PowerTap owner, but in my purchase decision the PT advantage over crank based was a price point advantage, now that's slim and getting slimmer. Plus, when you consider the target demo often has multiple wheel sets, the crank based option can start to become a no brainer. Also possible PT is being driven up market by the new cheap entrants like Stages, Power2max, etc..., and think they can command the premium? In any case, I think it's silly to spend $1300 for the same technology you can get now for ~$900 (or second hand for much cheaper) for only, what, a few dozen grams of weight.

Also, is PowerTap becoming it's own entity?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you're seeing is a result of a pretty big platform switch over from legacy Pro, Elite, SL (what we internally collectively call g2) to the new g3 platform. The outward advantages of the g3 platform are easy to boil down to a few grams weight savings but the real benefits go much deeper and are somewhat unrealized as of yet. I can say that the durability and robustness of the g3 platform are superior to the g2 but more importantly lay a better foundation for us to develop new models around. Stay tuned.

Regarding the second half of your question, I would not say PowerTap is becoming it's own entity but is getting it's own identity. In other words, PowerTap is still part of the Saris Cycling Group in Madison, WI and in the same building but it now represents a brand of its own instead of being a product under the CycleOps brand. So to recap:

Saris Cycling Group: parent company with now 3 brands:

CycleOps = trainers and indoor cycles
Saris = bike racks
PowerTap = power meters and computers

kileyay wrote:
Don't know if this has been discussed, but looks there is a new website ( http://www.powertap.com/collections/hubs ) on which the Pro model (or any road model less than $1300) is nowhere to be found.

At first blush, seems to make very little business sense. I am a PowerTap owner, but in my purchase decision the PT advantage over crank based was a price point advantage, now that's slim and getting slimmer. Plus, when you consider the target demo often has multiple wheel sets, the crank based option can start to become a no brainer. Also possible PT is being driven up market by the new cheap entrants like Stages, Power2max, etc..., and think they can command the premium? In any case, I think it's silly to spend $1300 for the same technology you can get now for ~$900 (or second hand for much cheaper) for only, what, a few dozen grams of weight.

Also, is PowerTap becoming it's own entity?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. My G3 is my 4th PT and I've had more problems with it over the last 1.5 years than I ever had with any of my 3 SL+. First, the battery draining issue...then occasional random drop-outs. Tried to upgrade firmware, which requires a PC (which I don't have easy access to) and seems to require a specific "rain dance" each time in order to actually work. Recently changed battery and G3 went haywire again (as indicated in my message earlier in this thread). After 1.5 years, I still can't update the firmware on a Mac. Error messages on Poweragent are unintelligible (i.e., "firmware server not available" when actually you just need to set up a user profile) and then I had to actually update the hub 4-5x before the firmware actually updated to the most recent version. Unfortunately, I have to say that I was initially quite excited about the G3 update, and have slowly become more and more disappointed (re: initial quality control and the progress after 1.5 years), especially in comparison to my fantastic "just works" experience in the past with the SL+ hubs. I hope this is all resolved now and it will be smooth sailing from this point on but I definitely will be nervous when I have to change the battery again or do any sort of maintenance on the wheel/hub. Due in part to this, more competition in the market, and other factors, I recently purchased a Quarq and Power2max to try them out.
Last edited by: DrPain: Jun 12, 13 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [DrPain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LYC for my older wired powertap setup (comp model, I believe) is acting up. If I put a battery in it, the unit turns on and restarts over and over and over. The unit turns on for maybe half a second then restarts, and again and again. I have had it run out of battery in the past, and the usual MO is that the LCD fades out as it dies. This is different, as mine is just "boot looping" over and over.

Is this thing kaput?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [DrPain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry about all the issues with the firmware updates on the G3. It's these issues that kept us from offering this feature on previous models.

To be totally fair, the battery draining issues were actually due to an error in how battery level was reported on Garmin devices, not actual battery drain (I realize this doesn't matter as a user but there was no underlying issue in the core architecture of the product). We're not aware of any drop out issues related to the G3 but Garmin has acknowledged issues with power meters and drop outs. No excuse on the firmware update process, it's a bit messy at the moment and we're in the process of switching to a wireless approach.

DrPain wrote:
Agreed. My G3 is my 4th PT and I've had more problems with it over the last 1.5 years than I ever had with any of my 3 SL+. First, the battery draining issue...then occasional random drop-outs. Tried to upgrade firmware, which requires a PC (which I don't have easy access to) and seems to require a specific "rain dance" each time in order to actually work. Recently changed battery and G3 went haywire again (as indicated in my message earlier in this thread). After 1.5 years, I still can't update the firmware on a Mac. Error messages on Poweragent are unintelligible (i.e., "firmware server not available" when actually you just need to set up a user profile) and then I had to actually update the hub 4-5x before the firmware actually updated to the most recent version. Unfortunately, I have to say that I was initially quite excited about the G3 update, and have slowly become more and more disappointed (re: initial quality control and the progress after 1.5 years), especially in comparison to my fantastic "just works" experience in the past with the SL+ hubs. I hope this is all resolved now and it will be smooth sailing from this point on but I definitely will be nervous when I have to change the battery again or do any sort of maintenance on the wheel/hub. Due in part to this, more competition in the market, and other factors, I recently purchased a Quarq and Power2max to try them out.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I didn't know a Garmin could even report the ptap battery level - is that available on an Edge 705, or only the newer ones?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure about the 705 but for sure the newer units. It's part of the standard ANT+ protocols.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey there, random question: what the heck does it mean when my Zipp Sub9 powertap (new batteries) calibrates to -14832 on my Garmin. My Elite+ calibrates to ~500. The zipp power readings seem to be low most of the time. What is going on?

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm. I guess there isn't a way to search a thread on Slowtwitch?

Anyway . . question: I seem to have occasions when my Powertap registers much lower power when I'm using it the trainer. Is it possible to overtighten the trainer on the skewer or something? I did calibrate my Garmin 800 out of the trainer. Or should I be calibrating it in the trainer?

Advice appreciated. Thanks!

Pete Githens
Reading, PA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse,

I have had the Joule GPS 3.0 since November and no problems downloading from it. After last week's ride however, even though the unit would charge with the USB cable, the working display would stay on and it wouldn't go into download mode. I downloaded the software and tried it on another computer and it still didn't work. Later on in the day after several more tries it finally went into download mode. So I thought it was OK....

But now again today, the first time I have used it since, it is doing the same thing. Any suggestions? I have a race next weekend so I'd like this fixed ASAP.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi guys, Ive got a Powertap SL+ and a Joule 2.0. I bought the wheels set second hand, and it work perfect for a couple of rides maybe 150km. I started having issues where the connection drops out and watts, kmph and cadance read ---. completly random maybe 3 or 4 times over 1 hour. I replaced the battries in the hub, but its still the same, sometimes it takes along time for the data to show, but i did notice after it drops out, if i stop pedaling it flicks back up (sometimes to a wrong reading) then drops out again.

I rode 60km today and it only logged 26km. Any help/ ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Declan wrote:
I downloaded the new version of the Software yesterday. I always used to use the old Merge function, ie merging before saving. After yesterdays and todays ride at that function was unavailable I attempted to merge after downloading. I am unable to do so as for either day as it says that "One or more activities overlap". The activities do not overlap.

Is it possible for me to download the old version of the software so that I can go back to merging the data before saving?

It's possible that some Cervo devices record a few extra packets of data throwing off the merge feature. One possible way around this (besides rolling back PowerAgent) is to adjust the auto-merge setting under Edit|Preferences. It's actually a setting called "Maximum time between rides"

Try increasing that from the default 1 minute to 15 and see if the ride comes through as you desire.

This doesn't work. I did a 40km TT yesterday. The signal dropped once during the ride, and sure enough, the download showed up as 2 separate rides. I could not get them to merge. I already had 15 minutes set as the maximum time between rides. When I looked at the rides separately, it came to 44km in 1:05:xx, which is completely wrong. Is there any other fix to this merge issue?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got my first powertap Saturday. Took it for a 100mi ride on Sunday. LOVE IT! syncs with my garmin and takes away from wires and other devices I dont need. enjoying the product so far
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wired PT with carbon cutouts. Bought from a ST'er. Its been amazing!!!
Lost the LYC that came with when purchased. (Had the 2.4 on the side of the display)\

I was able to buy another one from a ST'er, as well.

However now the readings are all over the place. Barely pedaling reads at over 200w, speed seems accurate until stopped then it takes 15-30 sec before it reads zero mph.

Tried what i thought was the zero torque whatever thing, and it displayed 412.

I could really use your help!

Thanks Jesse or anybody else for whatever help you can offer.

Michigan Awesome

Hand2Hand Ministries
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did the firmware update to my G3 hub as outlined on the website as I was having issues with the hub going to sleep. Well, as soon as the update completed PowerAgent no longer recognizes the hub, and it appears to be dead, my garmin head unit can't find it either. Have tried multiple batteries. No one is answering the 800 number on the website. Is there another number I can try to get this resolved? With the exception of the odd sleep issue the hub has performed flawlessly and I would like to have it back!

Edit - realized that PowerAgent would still recognize the hub (no s/n info tho) with no battery installed, after multiple firmware update attempts it finally works again. Still not sure why no one answers the phone though!
Last edited by: cl60guy: Jun 17, 13 12:28
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [cl60guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been searching here, garmin forums and wattage forum and still haven't found an answer to this:

I have a G3 and want to know what the sequence of events are for it to autozero.

Does the G3 do an autozero on itself or is it only in the head unit only?

Is there some time limit to coasting that starts it?

I've been using a new Joule, Garmin 500 and a Garmin 310xt

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anybody know where I could find a 12mm powertap axle? All I can find are freehub bodies.
I don't know how it happened, but mine seems to have gotten bent somehow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse,

Sorry if this has been answered before but I could not find it through a search:

1. How can I preserve battery life with my Joule (non GPS, uses CR2032)? During a long ride last week and only gave a few minutes low batter warning before going dead. I think I only got about 50h out of this battery. I rarely use the HR strap- is there a way to stop the unit from searching for an HR signal? Would that preserve battery life?
2. Is there any indicator of hub battery life in the hub (2.4+SL) with the Joule?

Thanks, Kevin
Quote Reply

Prev Next