Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ChiroCowboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have decided to move to SL+ (too much troubles with the wired system) and I have the following questions:
1. Can I upgrade my current LYC with firmware for wired system to a firmware able to read the SL+
2. What are the limitations of, eventually, using only an android app to read the power values? And any recommendations on android apps (saw that IpBike should do the job).

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty certain that's the indicator for the hub battery now, and it was changed in a recent FW update to a more generic Ant+ message.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why is my old Tune power tap consistently showing a max speed of over 49 mph? Yesterday, it popped up in the first ten miles, so I reset it and it popped up again in the next twenty. It is making the average speed reading useless.

My real max speed yesterday was around 27.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sentania wrote:
I'm pretty certain that's the indicator for the hub battery now, and it was changed in a recent FW update to a more generic Ant+ message.

OK. How long should the hub battery last? I still have two of the batteries of the three pack I bought last time and I know I wrote down the date I changed them and what the odometer was at the time. I don't have them on hand right now, but I am thinking I changed them around Jan of this year. It was at least sometime in 2013. Should they be going out that fast?

As long as you are reading this, I have ridden about 27 hours since that warning first popped up. If it was the hub batteries, wouldn't they have died by now? How long should they last once you get the warning?

Thanks for any info you might have.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a bit of a weird issue yesterday and maybe you could offer me some advice, Jesse? My wheelbuilder just built me up a powertap wheel by upgrading an older SL+ we found with a few missing parts to one with new G3 internals. I've used it for two weeks and until yesterday, everything seemed great. Then on yesterday's ride I could NOT get the powertap to communicate with my Garmin 500. For the life of me I couldn't figure out why. Almost 2 hours into the ride, it finally started communicating out of the blue and everything seemed gravy once again.

Any advice? I first suspected the battery, even though it maybe has only 40 hours of use, but after it began working again I suspect not? The only thing I did yesterday was to adjust the barrel knob on my rear derailleur since my chain was skipping a little. Could this possibly cause an issue? (I don't know how or why it would, but that's the only thing I did differently yesterday.)

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than 1 change, I've found that my hub batteries last about 6 months in my training wheels. I change them prior to every A-race in my race wheels - even though those see the a fraction of the use.

My training hub started with the PWR BATT, the week of Racine 70.3. They haven't gone dead yet, but the PWR BATT now displays about every minute, vs. every 5 minutes or so.

I'm planning to change them tonight, and the previous change was quite a while ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Question. I picked up a Pro+ wheel recently, and the NDS Axle end cap seems to come out with relative ease. I've read that the 15mm axle design is a bit different, but is this cause for concern? Should I replace what appears to be the rubber seal?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just upgraded my Power Tap hub with SL+ ant and everything is good except the Watts are off by 130 watts is there a way to adjust this ? The install went fine as I followed the directions and the difference is equall on the Jewel and a Garmin 910
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't it "Hub Batt"? I just started getting "PWR Batt" this morning. Did the firmware change the descriptions/indicators of when the hub batteries need to be changed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Yes, smoothing is now supported in Joule but you'll need to upgrade to 18.057 via PowerAgent.
[/quote]
I'm on 19.061 with my new Joule GPS. I can't see Smoothing anywhere in the Joule device or PA configuration area.

Can you help me? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 18.057 is for the other Joule and not the Joule GPS.

I believe that he said that they are working on the smoothing for the Joule GPS. I have the other Joule and the smoothing works well. I thought that I read somewhere that the smoothing feature is in beta right now, can't remember if it was this forum or another. I'll look around.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just saw this - http://www.bicycleretailer.com/...pricing#.UfpmHo3VAsu

Pretty significant price drop. Bravo!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [eazyc10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, I just guessed at the website and found this:

http://www.powertap.com/collections/hubs

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They must have just changed it since I clicked your link and they are now showing same prices as in the news article.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [roa11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, exactly (guess I wasn't clear :P)

I used to go to cycleops.com and now it's powertap.com and with lower prices
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
Yes, exactly (guess I wasn't clear :P)

I used to go to cycleops.com and now it's powertap.com and with lower prices

Earlier this summer Saris, the parent of CycleOps, split PowerTap out into it's own brand. That's why the new PowerTap specific web site. The price reductions cover G3 hubs, wheels, and Joule head units.

Have fun.

-- Scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an old Powertap SL 2.4 I bough used. It has been working great for the last couple months with the LYC, and other than some issues connecting to a Mac everything was great.

I updated the wheel to ANT+ last night. I followed the directions, it did a red/green alternating flash for ~2 minutes then it started a rapid green flashing which means that the update was successful according to the instructions. After the update neither my Garmin 500 or the LYC can connect to the hub.

The only thing I have tried was changing the batteries in the hub. Is there anything special I need to do on the Garmin to get it to pair (other than say 'yes' to ANT Power under bike settings)?

Tonight I will try to connect my 910xt trainerroad using the USB key.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jaymz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best thing to do is leave it alone and let everything do their job. When you do need to replace the batteries make sure to check the couple o-rings for any cracking and make sure they're in place. You can use a very light layer of grease on each o-ring.

Jaymz wrote:
I have around 5,500 on my Powertap. Only 2 wet rides (very) and mainly used in a semi arid climate so little moisture / humidity, can be a bit dusty but not very.

What servicing needs to be done and when? What should I look out for?

Thanks.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [giddy-up-n-go] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a separate spd/cad sensor and it's also not pairing that is suspicious and would indicate an issue with the Garmin,

giddy-up-n-go wrote:
Help!
Powertap SL 2.4 wireless was working fine with Garmin edge 500. Then garmin loses connection midride, so I assume its hub batteries. Replaced the two batteries and now the garmin cannot find the powertap. Not seeing the "powermeter detected" on screen.
ANT + Power:
I've rescanned it numerous times.
"sensor status" Not Connected
"sensor ID" 0
ANT + spd/cad also doing the same thing
Is the PT dead?
I've had the unit since 2007.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ademerckx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're riding a lot (20hrs./week) 5 weeks might be enough time to need a new battery.

Before trying that, just unplug the G3 cap, wait 10 seconds and replace it.

ademerckx wrote:
Hi Jesse/guys

All of a sudden after 8 months my Joule GPS is refusing to pair/calibrate with my Power Tap 3G. I keep getting (BAD DATA!) come up when I try to pair/calibrate. The only data I'm getting is speed and average speed. The hub battery was changed 5 weeks ago. Anyone got any ideas what could be up? Thanks in advance

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's the low hub battery warning.

jpay wrote:
Jesse,

I have a Joule 2.0 using a Pro+ Hub. On the Joule, since maybe 2 weeks ago, I get a warning across the top of the screen that says, "PWR Batt". I will get this even when the Joule battery has just been fully charged. I don't think this is the same warning that comes up when the battery is low and just needs to be charged. I don't think it is the hub battery either because I have seen the warning to change that battery, and it doesn't say "PWR Batt". I am wondering if there is something I need to do to get that warning to go away, like get a new rechargeable battery for the Joule. Please let me know what I can do.

Thanks.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're right in theory but unfortunately the trainer will hwy up as will the tire making this kind of comparison difficult.

RichardL wrote:
powertap wrote:
As long as you're within our recommended range (495 to 529) you won't see a noticable difference in the data.
OK, here is what I noticed yesterday during my interval session on an indoor trainer. I manually calibrated the head unit after 10 minutes of warming up and got 499. I then did a 10-min interval at 100% FTP, which required a cadence of 88 rpm to hit the target wattage. I did an easy spin for 2 minutes afterward, then did another manual calibration and got 505. Did another 10-min interval at 100% FTP, but this time it took a cadence of 94 rpm to hit the same wattage. Seems to be a bug here. To me, after a manual torque zero offset, it should take the same amount of effort and cadence to hit the same wattage.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any ETA on 19.065? Really want power smoothing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

I bought a PT on here a month and a half ago or so. It is supposed to be updated to ant+ its the 2.4 model. The seller is a respectable guy so there is no reason not believe it wasn't. Do you have a good guess on why its not pairing with my garmin 500. My other two powertaps one a SL+ and the other is a 2.4+. Could the firmware somehow have been reset so its not picking it up?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My average cadence has seemed abnormally low since I got my Joule GPS relative to my SL2.4. On the SL2.4 there was a way to remove zeros from average cadence but I read that zeros are included on the Joule as the default setting. Is there a way to change this? If so I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual or on the internet.
Last edited by: gradiology: Aug 3, 13 15:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next