Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Loving all the LYC love but man you guys have to upgrade!! Joule and Joule GPS are way better! Joule has all the upside of the LYC and none of the negative.

Seriously, we're still building the little guy (not for much longer) but there is no code space left for firmware updates or changes! It's more or less the same design (hardware too) since 1997!!!

What's this newfangled LYC crap?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I noticed that you ignored my post.
Or are you just looking for positive feedback?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also own a Jet 90,,, how do you made a disc of it ? how do you install and uninstall the disk feature ? Thanks,
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Larbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't mean to ignore any posts, thought the others answered the USB cable question sufficiently but yes, it is a standard MICRO usb cable. Many phones do come with these now as they are the new standard as opposed to Mini USB.

We have a video here on updating:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nrUdy43AnHw

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the prompt response. I was hoping you were going to say that, as didn`t really want to go down the route of the old 2.0. I shall go ahead and place an order. Might be worth sending a note to DCRainmaker to update his review ;-) Shame you left the temperature sensor off the Joule, as much prefer its layout to that of the GPS.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Pre-G3 models of PowerTap broadcast 2 data sets at the same time, one on the ANT+ channel and one on our proprietary protocol. The LYC uses the proprietary protocol as does the Joule 2.0. Joule and Joule GPS use ANT+.

The ANT+ power protocol is inherently slower and therefore smoother than our proprietary protocol.

That's interesting. Are you saying that if I recorded data from the same hub on both a LYC and a Joule GPS the data streams would differ?

A huge fraction of what I've learned about analyzing cycling data of various sorts has come from data collected on my Power Tap. In many ways it's the best platform for field testing with a power meter since it's "closest" to the physics (which is not a slam on power meters that are farther downstream -- just that you have to take losses into account for them while it's simpler with the PT).
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [KrazyTrimmer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GO buy yourself a disc cover off wheelbuilder.com fella! I've got one i put on my ardennes rim with a PT Pro+ hub.. just looking for a second wheel to take out on my 9spd winter bike rather than having to swap over casettes for trainer..

although now i think of it.. i could just get naother freehub body and sull and slap them over when i need.. best freehub mechanism ever - especially for mounting the disc cover!

Adam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh Yeah!! This is awesome!! I am waiting on the arrival of my new Evo HiMod with Dura Ace di2 with 11-speed right now. I have been using a PT laced to a Mavic SL wheel. I hope it will still work as installed on the Mavic wheel.

By the way, I contacted Saris customer service about this very issue only about 4-5 weeks ago and was told, '..we are working on it...not sure if it will be available or when...' etc. You said it has been available for 'a while now'. Curious.

Nevertheless, very happy about the new 11s free hub. Will order one today.

Thanks for coming onto the forum and opening up for all of the questions. We need for more vendors to do this.

Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
This is the place to share your experiences with PowerTap.

I have 3. 2 for training (yes I'm too lazy switch wheels between bikes) and one built into a Hed Jet Disc for races.

My experience is that they show me my power, and that makes me happy.

Win.
Last edited by: matto: Dec 7, 12 7:51
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [AdamG1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AdamG1980 wrote:
best freehub mechanism ever - especially for mounting the disc cover!

Adam

YESSSSSSSS
Such a huge time saver.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Proud owner of 2 PT wheels. One is a Bontrager Aeolus 6.5 with a SL+ PT hub the other is a new G3 getting laced to a Bontrager Aeolus 9 D3. The 6.5 was used and loaned out for races with the wheelcover on but now it is a training wheel only. The G3 will be the racing wheel of choice when the wheel cover is installed. To date the 6.5 has never been for service and no problems for the past 5 years since new. The only thing I can think of that might be an issue is the freewheel part the cassette attaches to is a little chewed up in spots from all the cassette swaps. Seems like it is a softer metal? I can wait to get the G3 on the road and test that one out.

Both hubs are driving the Joule GPS head unit. It took some getting used to coming from the Garmin 500 but after running the two directly next to each other they are almost identical in power and distance numbers. Having years of data in Poweragent, it is nice to download directly into that instead of importing it from the Garmin program. No more workarounds. I believe the Joule GPS also has a direct upload from Poweragent into Strrava for those who use Strava.

When I get the G3 back from being built up I will post pics. It is a nice looking hub.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's my PT. G3 laced to a CycleOps branded Enve 65. Great wheel for everything, everyday training and racing. I just throw on my disc cover and I'm ready to rock.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am in need a battery pack/ hub tool for my 2012 G3 Powertap hub. I have not seen one available for sale any where lately. I did not receive it with my wheels. I have already purchased the wrong older model tool. Please PM me or supply me with your contact info. Thanks.

SM Gose
Red Lodge, MT
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
1> The last time I checked the LYC suffers from time dilation - reported here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2969032 As far as I know, still not resolved.

2a> My original Joule 2.0 had the interval button go bad after about 3 months of use, the second Joule 2.0 is now almost 2 years old and the mode button/joystick are starting to become a little finicky. IMO - those buttons should have a lot longer life then that!

2b> I semi-regularly experience data corruption on my Joule 2.0, that requires me to run chkdsk on it. I have an athlete (Mac user), that has this occur more often then not and is constantly calling for support to fix it.

3> At both Kona 2011 and Kona 2012, my Joule 2.0 experienced cut outs around Mauna Kea resort, just prior to the turn off the Queen K. In 2011, I figured it was due to low batteries, but in 2012 I put fresh batteries in - still an issue. Maybe everybody using wireless got nailed there though....literally the only place I've *ever* had issues; not even in my basement 5 feet away from my TV, stereo, computer, and two giant fans.

Just wanted to bump these back up since they've not been responded to.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Loving all the LYC love but man you guys have to upgrade!! Joule and Joule GPS are way better! Joule has all the upside of the LYC and none of the negative.

The LYC rocks. No way around it. Reliable, not too big, not too small. Enough data that you are good to go not so many fields that it's clogging things up to just have something on it.

Sometimes upgrading is downgrading. As a coach I've got over 5000 power files and I've yet to see anything that sells me on it being better than the LYC as a head unit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JamieJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Joule GPS is totally worth it. After switching, I haven't used the 2.0 and it is going on 6 months! Don't miss the joystick of the 2.0 at all.

Owner of a few Speed Concepts since 2011.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Epic!
I have had such great service and bomb proof experience with Powertap hubs, Thanks!
Last edited by: Martin Zollinger: Dec 9, 12 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me, with training wheels G3's
Will search for a race pic as I also bought the ENVE 65mm tubular G3 race wheels!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Powertap 2.4 on a Bontrager Race X Lite (16 spokes paired) Rim. I finished building my bike, and while I was tuning the shifting I realized that there was some side to side play in the freehub body. I'm not sure how common this is, but how do I fix it? Is there a service center in Canada? If I have to send it in, I'd rather not deal with the US border. Please advise.

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Powertap Pro+ Laced to a Zipp 404 Carbon/Alu Clincher
Wheelbuilder Disc Cover
*Picture taken during Timex 226 Triathlon

Last edited by: ricecooker: Dec 13, 12 22:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse. Thanks for offering the opportunity to ask questions. I am new to training with power (about a month so far) so I"m not sure what I should be seeing on my Garmin. I recently bought a lightly used wheel from CTS. It has the G3 hub laced to the alloy velocity rim branded by CycleOps. I have the wheel paired to a Garmin 910 XT running the newest firmware and I put a new battery in the hub as soon as I received the wheel. I am only riding indoors right now and I recalibrate the 910 with the hub every time I ride. The reading is consistently 512 and the torque is 0

My question is really about consistency on readings and what should I expect to see on the monitor? Readings seem to jump around a lot more than I would have expected sometimes with a pretty significant variance. Is this normal with the 910, is it a problem with the wheel or is my pedal stroke that inconsistent?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great thread. PowerTap showing their unparalleled customer support yet again.

Big PowerTap fan. Your products by far the most well-build/durable of all the power measuring systems on the market (AND at the best price point). And love the flexibility of being able to switch my meter from bike to bike (shuffle mine between road, TT and PowerCrank steeds). Yes, I always hear the "race wheels" argument, but in my experience those who volley it rarely win races. :D

One minor gripe: what was the reasoning behind not having a backlight in the new Joule (non-GPS version)? Seems like it'd be a no-brainer. Was disappointed to learn it wasn't going to have one. Had been ready/willing/waiting to pull the trigger but this fact forced me to pick up an older Joule 2.0 model (I don't want/need the GPS. Strava is for herbs, IMHO). For the dedicated folks forced to train after sundown a backlight a huge selling point.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse, a quick shout out for the amazing service Dylan provided from the customer service call center this past few weeks. The G3 hub and GPS Joule arrived today and my LBS is building out my new training wheel this weekend. I really appreciate his efforts and expedient work on my warranty. Top class.

Rhys

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
In Reply To:
1> The last time I checked the LYC suffers from time dilation - reported here: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=2969032 As far as I know, still not resolved.

2a> My original Joule 2.0 had the interval button go bad after about 3 months of use, the second Joule 2.0 is now almost 2 years old and the mode button/joystick are starting to become a little finicky. IMO - those buttons should have a lot longer life then that!

2b> I semi-regularly experience data corruption on my Joule 2.0, that requires me to run chkdsk on it. I have an athlete (Mac user), that has this occur more often then not and is constantly calling for support to fix it.

3> At both Kona 2011 and Kona 2012, my Joule 2.0 experienced cut outs around Mauna Kea resort, just prior to the turn off the Queen K. In 2011, I figured it was due to low batteries, but in 2012 I put fresh batteries in - still an issue. Maybe everybody using wireless got nailed there though....literally the only place I've *ever* had issues; not even in my basement 5 feet away from my TV, stereo, computer, and two giant fans.

Just wanted to bump these back up since they've not been responded to.
Bump your bump. I don't think we are going to get an answer.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the bump, hard to keep with all the off shoots here but we're trying!

1> The LYC (Cervo) was updated in March of 2011 to address the distance and average speed issues. (Version 7.63 for wireless and 6.63 for wired)

2a> We're aware of the button and joystick issues on the Joule 2.0 and this was a contributing factor of the redesign on Joule and Joule GPS. Give us a call to discuss options if you're having this issue.

2b> Memory corruption was also a significant design consideration and upgrade with the Joule and Joule GPS. We've gone away from the mass storage device approach for these reasons. Our device as well as others have frequent issues with file corruption that are not being addressed adequately by chip and framework suppliers (ATMEL in our case). Again, if this issue is causing great disruption in device performance please call us for upgrade options)

3> I too have personally experienced the cut out issues by the Mauna Kea resort and spent way too much time investigating it. While inconclusive, my hike around the area discovered a mysterious power plant looking substation just over one of the hills opposite the small fire station off the highway. My guess is that this has something to do with the issue. We did several data captures and RF density scans in that area and found an intermittent disruption in our ANT+ transmissions but could not pin-point the source. (We investigated this at the request of Chris Lieto). This is the only area I've every encountered outdoors with this kind of repeatable drop out. Not sure what else to say about it.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next