Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [helios] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
My Joule 2.0 is showing a TSS and IF, but when the data is imported to Training Peaks and/or Golden Cheetah those numbers are way different. I know the firmware on my Joule needs to be updated, but is there another reason for the discrepancy?

Did you set your FTP on the Joule 2.0? Under Users there is an FTP input.

Did you set your FTP in Training Peaks?

Are they the same?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Quote:
My Joule 2.0 is showing a TSS and IF, but when the data is imported to Training Peaks and/or Golden Cheetah those numbers are way different. I know the firmware on my Joule needs to be updated, but is there another reason for the discrepancy?

Did you set your FTP on the Joule 2.0? Under Users there is an FTP input.

Did you set your FTP in Training Peaks?

Are they the same?

I have my FTP entered into Training Peaks. I don't see a place to input FTP on the Joule; I only see zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have some questions about the Joule (non-GPS) computer:

firmware 18.045 Joule, 16.030 G3 , 7.5.7.34 PA

1. Is power display averaging a feature of the Joule unit or no? Setting the average to 5 sec. with PA doesn't seem to make any difference on my display ( and I've used the older Cervo units long enough to tell the difference between 1 sec and 5 sec averages ). Also on the Cervo units, when I went into the device configuration options via PA, the current averaging selection ( 1,2,3,5 sec. ) that I was using was shown in the drop-down selection ( which confirmed for me what average I was using). However, when I enter that PA menu with the Joule the display is blank - no matter what I chose on the previous config. So, if someone could confirm either way, thx.

2. The device config in PA ( and the Joule manual ) shows the bottom line of the dashboards being customisable. Yet after exiting the config mode, my unit displays the same two metrics on all three dashboards ( i.e. the large display and the second, smaller line change but not the bottom line )

3. This is a G3 question about auto-zeroing. I've previously been using older SL w/Cervo hubs and now have a G3. My understanding of the old system is that auto-zero would be done when coasting when the raw torque number was "+10" or less or a similar ( undisplayed ) negative amount, outside of which required the manual zero. Am I right in assuming the newer G3 system uses a similar system, but also adds the temperature readings to adjust itself, making manual zeroing less necessary than before? I ask simply because, on the older units, major temperature changes ( long climbs, going in/out of the sun, etc. ) without manual zeroing caused inaccurate readings.

4. And one last question about two SL hubs I have. These were both purchased used, one I've used for a few years the other a few months. The raw torque readings I get between the two units ( Both using 7.60 Cervo computers ) seem quite different. On the "older" one, the torque numbers go much further from zero than the other - of which that one seldom displays any number higher than than +2 for raw torque. Both units seem to be accurate and consistent between each other ( as long as they are kept zeroed ), but the one acts like it is relatively unaffected by temperature changes. Is the one hub displaying a different measurement ( say nm vs. ft/lbs ) or is one in need of service? I've also considered the possibility that one had the internals upgraded. Any thoughts are appreciated, sorry for the saga-length post.
Last edited by: whrlkng: May 13, 13 10:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I saw on the Neuvation web site that the Pro model is being discontinued. Is this true? Can you confirm when some replacement will be coming about and its price / details?
Quote Reply
hub clicking noise louder [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got an SL+. Picked it up used last year, and it has about 3Kmi on it since I had a wheel built around it last year. It's been working fine- no problems.
I've noticed that the clicking sound is a bit louder than it used to be. The standard clicking from the ratchet inside the hub when I coast.

Perhaps it's just my imagination. But do I just need to pull her open and throw a little more grease into the hub area? Where the little three arms stick out onto the ratchet?

If so- what kind of grease?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I downloaded the new version of the Software yesterday. I always used to use the old Merge function, ie merging before saving. After yesterdays and todays ride at that function was unavailable I attempted to merge after downloading. I am unable to do so as for either day as it says that "One or more activities overlap". The activities do not overlap.

Is it possible for me to download the old version of the software so that I can go back to merging the data before saving?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I replaced the batteries in my powertap, and now it reads ~15 watts while coasting. Autozero is set to Y on my Joule 2.0. Did I tighten the black cap down too hard? I only used my fingers to tighten it. Maybe I tightened it too little?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse do you know if a PowerTap G3 can be laced into an American Classic Aero 3?

Thanks,
Bernard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trying to update firmware on my G3, I downloaded PowerAgent, connected the hub. It detects my device, and when I select "Configure Device" it reads the version from it (16.021, not the latest) But when I "Check for Update" I get the message "Error connecting to the firmware server"

Anyone know what to do about this?
Last edited by: valygrl: Jun 3, 13 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Declan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same problem!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably just needs a "Manual Zero" from the Joule 2.0. The manual zero feature is located under sensors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZfHg1rxzPA

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jon h] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jon h wrote:
I saw on the Neuvation web site that the Pro model is being discontinued. Is this true? Can you confirm when some replacement will be coming about and its price / details?

We've stopped building Pro units but there are quite a few still out in bike shops and our distribution partners so gobble one up now if you're interested. We've got some stuff in the works that will replce the Pro but not until the end of this year. For now check out the new http://www.powertap.com for some other options.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: hub clicking noise louder [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
morey000 wrote:
I've got an SL+. Picked it up used last year, and it has about 3Kmi on it since I had a wheel built around it last year. It's been working fine- no problems.
I've noticed that the clicking sound is a bit louder than it used to be. The standard clicking from the ratchet inside the hub when I coast.

Perhaps it's just my imagination. But do I just need to pull her open and throw a little more grease into the hub area? Where the little three arms stick out onto the ratchet?

If so- what kind of grease?

Yes, just pull the free hub body off as you describe and apply a little grease. Not much is needed but you do need to careful what kind you use. If the grease is too sticky the pawls won't move freely and you'll run the risk of them not engaging when you want them to which is not a good situation. The user guide outlines the grease and process here:
http://cdn.shopify.com/...r-Guide_ESF.pdf?2498 but you can use Dupont krytox or Phil Wood Waterproof grease. We use Kluber isoflex NB520 or Mobilgrease 28 in production.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Declan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email me and I should be able to get you an older version of PowerAgent.

powertap@gmail.com

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [tribern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tribern wrote:
Jesse do you know if a PowerTap G3 can be laced into an American Classic Aero 3?

Thanks,
Bernard

If I had to guess I would say yes but this should really be answered by American Classic.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [valygrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
valygrl wrote:
Trying to update firmware on my G3, I downloaded PowerAgent, connected the hub. It detects my device, and when I select "Configure Device" it reads the version from it (16.021, not the latest) But when I "Check for Update" I get the message "Error connecting to the firmware server"

Have you tried recently (today??)

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for getting back to me. I contacted American Classic via their Facebook page and they sent me this reply pretty quickly (for which I'm grateful - it got to me before I bought the wheels :-)

Hi Bernard, Thanks for contacting us! Sorry, not possible.
The aero 3 rims have 3 group spoke holes.
The pt hub has regular spoke holes and can not be laced into the 3 group rim.

Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice new site Jesse!

powertap wrote:
Jon h wrote:

We've stopped building Pro units but there are quite a few still out in bike shops and our distribution partners so gobble one up now if you're interested. We've got some stuff in the works that will replce the Pro but not until the end of this year. For now check out the new http://www.powertap.com for some other options.

Gary Geiger
http://www.geigerphoto.com Professional photographer

TEAM KiWAMi NORTH AMERICA http://www.kiwamitri.com, Rudy Project http://www.rudyprojectusa.com, GU https://guenergy.com/shop/ ; Salming World Ambassador; https://www.shopsalming.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tried again - same thing. Tried 3 different computers this morning.

I have a call in to tech support, haven't heard back, no case#.

powertap wrote:
valygrl wrote:

Have you tried recently (today??)
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [valygrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question for powertap which I originally posted here http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...tap%20wired;#4605859

Basically cannot get any transmission icon (batteries are ok and it was working before).
I checked the inner cables and they are all connected to the 4 pins in the cradle plates.
This seems strange to me (I thought that each cable goes to a single pin) but confirming will help me to identify the problem.
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I own 3 power taps: PRO+ in training wheel, SL2.4 (updated to 2.4+) in 808 race wheel and a SL+ in a 900 disc. I use Garmin Head Units (edge 800, 500, 910XT) and do not have the LYC anymore.

I have several questions about Zero Offset:

1) When I request it from the Garmin unit, am I setting an offset in the head unit only, or requesting a change in the powertap hub?
In other words, if I use 2 head units in parallel, do I need to force the "zero offset" on both head units (if change is happening on head unit) or is doing it from either one doing the trick (if change is happening at the PTAP level).

2) Some Garmin head units have the "auto-zero" checkbox on the PTAP configuration page (edge 800) and others not after a firmware updated of the Garmin (Edge 500). Kind of weird.. Any comments?

powertap wrote:
The 2.4+ units do not support manual zero requests over the ANT+ channel, you need to use a Cervo or Joule 2.0.
The auto-zero feature in the hub will keep your numbers good.

3) In regards to the quote above.. as mentioned one of my units is an updated SL2.4 to 2.4+. If I read this right, using Garmin HU I can't do the Zero Offset? Can I really trust the readings in that case? Or do you mean that

4) How often one should do the Zero offset? Every ride? Is before starting ride OK, or should wait ~15' into it so it's "warmed up"?

Thanks in advance for any help I can get! Just want to make sure I get decent data out :)

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [whrlkng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whrlkng wrote:
I have some questions about the Joule (non-GPS) computer:

firmware 18.045 Joule, 16.030 G3 , 7.5.7.34 PA

1. Is power display averaging a feature of the Joule unit or no? Setting the average to 5 sec. with PA doesn't seem to make any difference on my display ( and I've used the older Cervo units long enough to tell the difference between 1 sec and 5 sec averages ). Also on the Cervo units, when I went into the device configuration options via PA, the current averaging selection ( 1,2,3,5 sec. ) that I was using was shown in the drop-down selection ( which confirmed for me what average I was using). However, when I enter that PA menu with the Joule the display is blank - no matter what I chose on the previous config. So, if someone could confirm either way, thx.

2. The device config in PA ( and the Joule manual ) shows the bottom line of the dashboards being customisable. Yet after exiting the config mode, my unit displays the same two metrics on all three dashboards ( i.e. the large display and the second, smaller line change but not the bottom line ) . i.e. Can this line be customized?

any answer, no matter how brief, will be appreciated, thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [whrlkng] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AFAIK firmware 18.057 is current. It supports power smoothing, and I can customize (within strict limits) all 3 displays.
Upgrade :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a G3 built into a Zipp 101 bought in Dec 2011. Has always read consistently ~506-508 on calibration on my Garmin Edge 500. Changed the battery and re-calibrated multiple times (continued in same range) but only gave power of 0-4W . Read some things about oddities after a battery change so removed and replaced the battery again today. Now the calibration is consistently reading ~15306-15311 and there is often a small amount of torque (0.2) until it auto-zeros after calibration. I haven't done a full ride yet but the power numbers seem at least somewhat reasonable on a quick 2 minute ride. I have a race next weekend though and am concerned that the figures will not be reliable or drift.

What's going on...all I did was change the battery??? I guess I could try changing the battery again but thought I would try here first. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I updated firmware most recently ~Dec 2012. I would update more frequently but it's a pain for me to find a PC to do it on. Mac updating would be a god send!
Last edited by: DrPain: Jun 10, 13 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the ANT+ Update last week on a 2.4 wheel. I'm still using the LYC. I downloaded a race file on the weekend and it showed up as several files for some reason (this never happened before). I remember the signal dropping during the race 2 or 3 times, but only for a few seconds. When I tried to merge them, it gave me an error saying that the merge could not be completed because of "overlap". Have you seen this before, and how do I fix it?

Quote Reply

Prev Next