Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [mobix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You cannot upgrade you're wired LYC but you can have them pretty cheap at http://www.powertap.com

https://power-tap.myshopify.com/...cts/yellow-cervo-cpu

Only limitations I can think of only using an app. is that you'd have to put your phone or device on the handlebars (awkward) or your pocket where you wouldn't see any data during the workout.

Also, for the moment there aren't any really good ways to get ANT+ data onto an Android device (not saying it can't be done, just haven't found a great way to do it.) We're working on a Bluetooth Smart cap for the G3 that will be backward compatible but don't have plans to make the Plus series Bluetooth Smart compatible.

mobix wrote:
Hello,

I have decided to move to SL+ (too much troubles with the wired system) and I have the following questions:
1. Can I upgrade my current LYC with firmware for wired system to a firmware able to read the SL+
2. What are the limitations of, eventually, using only an android app to read the power values? And any recommendations on android apps (saw that IpBike should do the job).

Thanks

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More than likely there is an issue with the switch that measures speed inside the hub but but normally this would effect power also. Does power seem ok?

If your system is really from the Tune era it is about 15 years old so maybe time for an upgrade??

klehner wrote:
Why is my old Tune power tap consistently showing a max speed of over 49 mph? Yesterday, it popped up in the first ten miles, so I reset it and it popped up again in the next twenty. It is making the average speed reading useless.

My real max speed yesterday was around 27.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jpay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You should get about 350 to 400 hours of battery life on a Pro+ .

Jesse Bartholomew

Last edited by: powertap: Aug 3, 13 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No need for concern. The NDS cap is normally held on with an o-ring inside the cap but they can get worn out so they stop doing their job. If you take your wheel on an off a lot I'd suggest getting a new end cap so the cassette doesn't come off inadvertently. While convenient, pulling the cassette off with the body will wear out the cap o-ring.

Jamaican wrote:
Question. I picked up a Pro+ wheel recently, and the NDS Axle end cap seems to come out with relative ease. I've read that the 15mm axle design is a bit different, but is this cause for concern? Should I replace what appears to be the rubber seal?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Hookblock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you try a manual zero?

Also double check that the auto-zero settings on both your Garmin and Joule are the same, preferably set to "On"

Hookblock wrote:
I just upgraded my Power Tap hub with SL+ ant and everything is good except the Watts are off by 130 watts is there a way to adjust this ? The install went fine as I followed the directions and the difference is equall on the Jewel and a Garmin 910

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll be releasing Joule GPS firmware on Monday, Aug. 5

jaretj wrote:
The 18.057 is for the other Joule and not the Joule GPS.

I believe that he said that they are working on the smoothing for the Joule GPS. I have the other Joule and the smoothing works well. I thought that I read somewhere that the smoothing feature is in beta right now, can't remember if it was this forum or another. I'll look around.

jaretj

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to update the Cervo firmware via PowerAgent for it to connect to an ANT+ hub and you need to pair it.

For the Garmin you need to "scan for devices"

MattAune wrote:
I have an old Powertap SL 2.4 I bough used. It has been working great for the last couple months with the LYC, and other than some issues connecting to a Mac everything was great.

I updated the wheel to ANT+ last night. I followed the directions, it did a red/green alternating flash for ~2 minutes then it started a rapid green flashing which means that the update was successful according to the instructions. After the update neither my Garmin 500 or the LYC can connect to the hub.

The only thing I have tried was changing the batteries in the hub. Is there anything special I need to do on the Garmin to get it to pair (other than say 'yes' to ANT Power under bike settings)?

Tonight I will try to connect my 910xt trainerroad using the USB key.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monday we'll be releasing a new version of firmware for the Joule GPS with a BUNCH of new stuff on it.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Firmware wouldn't have been reset. If you're other two are pairing and this one isn't it's just a good chance it wasn't updated. Unfortunately there isn't a good way to check for this other than pairing. Not calling anybody a liar, just diagnosing based on the simplest explanation. You could try pairing to an older non ANT+ LYC...

Grant.Reuter wrote:
Jesse,

I bought a PT on here a month and a half ago or so. It is supposed to be updated to ant+ its the 2.4 model. The seller is a respectable guy so there is no reason not believe it wasn't. Do you have a good guess on why its not pairing with my garmin 500. My other two powertaps one a SL+ and the other is a 2.4+. Could the firmware somehow have been reset so its not picking it up?

Thanks.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [gradiology] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We'll have new Joule GPS firmware released on Monday that will have this option back in.

gradiology wrote:
My average cadence has seemed abnormally low since I got my Joule GPS relative to my SL2.4. On the SL2.4 there was a way to remove zeros from average cadence but I read that zeros are included on the Joule as the default setting. Is there a way to change this? If so I couldn't find it anywhere in the manual or on the internet.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do I just need to order the upgrade kit then and try it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be another option, yes.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He said he was using it with a joule would that make any difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, in that a Joule 2.0 prefers to use the non-ANT signal from our hubs.

Grant.Reuter wrote:
He said he was using it with a joule would that make any difference?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesse. I am going to use the Duotrap sensor which I think I finally have configured correctly. And it is a Joule GPS.
Last edited by: gradiology: Aug 3, 13 16:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, maybe its not updated. No biggie, I got a killer deal on it with the wheelset so not even close to upset about it. Thanks for your help! I've been very happy with the powertap's so far coming from an SRM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
You need to update the Cervo firmware via PowerAgent for it to connect to an ANT+ hub and you need to pair it.

MattAune wrote:
I have an old Powertap SL 2.4 I bough used. It has been working great for the last couple months with the LYC, and other than some issues connecting to a Mac everything was great.

I updated the wheel to ANT+ last night. I followed the directions, it did a red/green alternating flash for ~2 minutes then it started a rapid green flashing which means that the update was successful according to the instructions. After the update neither my Garmin 500 or the LYC can connect to the hub.

The only thing I have tried was changing the batteries in the hub. Is there anything special I need to do on the Garmin to get it to pair (other than say 'yes' to ANT Power under bike settings)?

Firmware is up to date. PowerAgent says its 7.600 and Type: PowerTap+ (ANT+)

I went to setup 5, then HUB Learn 1. After a couple minutes it reverts to the HUB ID screen with all zeros.

Garmin 500, 910XT and TrainerRoad (Mac with ANT+ USB Dongle) also cannot connect to the hub,

I replaced the batteries (Old batteries measured 1.55v so that should not have been a probelm). I also used the updater a second time, which gave me the exact same results as far as LED sequence.

I am going to call Customer Supprt monday unless someone has any more ideas.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah give us a call. Certainly seems like something is up with the hub....

MattAune wrote:
powertap wrote:

MattAune wrote:

Firmware is up to date. PowerAgent says its 7.600 and Type: PowerTap+ (ANT+)

I went to setup 5, then HUB Learn 1. After a couple minutes it reverts to the HUB ID screen with all zeros.

Garmin 500, 910XT and TrainerRoad (Mac with ANT+ USB Dongle) also cannot connect to the hub,

I replaced the batteries (Old batteries measured 1.55v so that should not have been a probelm). I also used the updater a second time, which gave me the exact same results as far as LED sequence.

I am going to call Customer Supprt monday unless someone has any more ideas.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply, after trouble shooting the problem with my trusty bike Mech and PowerTap it was determined that that problem was internal and the wheel was shipped out to you guys at PowerTap to be rebuilt!! Thanks !!
Quote Reply
Joule 1.0 losing settings [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My Joule 1.0 is resetting its date/time about every week (to 2011-01-01). Do others have the same problem? I got another 1.0 from CycleOps for "testing" and unfortunately I was able to reproduce the problem. Additionally, the battery on the new unit was empty yesterday (after less than 20 hours of use), so I went back to my old Joule: it didn't reset the date, but the sensor pairing was lost and one of the screens was different from my setup. Both units have 18.057 as firmware.

Is this a common problem? Any ideas what's happening?

(hopefully it's ok to post it here as there are other questions about the Joule)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I apologize if this was asked already (this is a long thread) - I purchased my powertap wheel used last year from someone at work. Used all last year with my Garmin 310xt without issue. I recently switched to a Garmin 910 and initially it worked fine but the last week or so it's worked great for the first 15-20 mins of each ride and then stopped showing power numbers (while all other numbers on the watch continue to work - speed, cadence, etc). Is there a simple reason why the power reading would show at the start and then drop off?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [TheKoz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have smart recording or 1sec recording enabled?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was set to smart recording.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse,

Can you tell me the year the PowerTap SL+ came out and can I replace the hub with an 11 speed hub?

Regards,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looked for the new Firmware for Joule GPS yesterday and today...no sign of it. Is it coming?
Quote Reply

Prev Next