Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jbartholomew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any plan to release the XDR driver freehub body for the PowerTap G3 and the PowerTap GS hubs in the very near future? I need one or two for SRAM Red AXS eTap 12-speed.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Any plan to release the XDR driver freehub body for the PowerTap G3 and the PowerTap GS hubs in the very near future? I need one or two for SRAM Red AXS eTap 12-speed.

Would like to know as well

The Powertap site does ave an XD freehub option, so presumably they are aware of the need.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Relatively new Powertap G3 user - laced up in the center of my brand new Rolf Vigor's...

I'm having a small issue with cadence - as I'm pedaling it is reading what appears to be accurate cadence. But when I stop pedaling, the cadence increases, upwards of 140 - but I'm not pedaling. At all. Unless I come to a complete stop, then it reads zero. I think my average cadence is a little high. :) Cadence isn't all that super duper important, but I'd like it to be accurate.

I'm using a Garmin 1000, the Powertap firmware is updated, the battery is fresh. Any suggestions??
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [fiver49] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This happens on the road or on the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Powertap infers cadence from torque pulses, so it will never be that accurate. I've never experienced cadence persisting while coasting though. At any rate if you really want accurate cadence, you should install a cadence sensor. The PT value will never be very good.

Do you have auto-zero turned on? Thinking maybe your offset is wrong and it's reporting torque while coasting, and this value wavers resulting in a cadence.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, should I have auto zero turned off??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I just wondered what your torque looked like when you were coasting but showing cadence >0.

I never figured out a way to get PT torque data off a Garmin. If you could that might tell you something.

Something just occurred to me. What is your cadence averaging setting (0,3,5,10,30 sec etc)? If it's high it will take awhile for it to drop to zero.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen a power chart like this from their P1 pedals before? The spikes are 4-5 seconds apart and make the readings useless.

I recorded this simultaneously on both my Fenix 5and my Garmin 520, so it's definitely the pedals at fault. I had them serviced about 6 months ago and the new battery caps installed. I'm using fresh lithium batteries and the firmware is up to date. Tried swapping the battery caps over (left to right and vice versa) - no difference.

Any ideas? Or is it time to send them back to for another service?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [SMCyclo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SMCyclo wrote:
RichardL wrote:

Would like to know as well

The Powertap site does ave an XD freehub option, so presumably they are aware of the need.

I have the same problem. Seems like it's known that the G3 freehub bodies are manufactured by Novatec, and that the B2 kind is the compatible one. They even have an XDR one (https://www.eshop.novatecwheels.eu/...pawls/p-508122.xhtml) but I failed to get any confirmation (from the shop or SRAM) that this is indeed the case. I'm tempted to order one and try it out, it is the only issue that stand between my and a SRAM Etap force groupset :-/
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [fruitfly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you end up converting your G3 to XDR? If so which freehub body did you use?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you had any luck finding a freehub body to use?

RichardL wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [benwehmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No luck, so I went with SRM crank based power meter instead.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello,

Did you ever get a response from tech support?

I have a G3 hub and get 5-10 hours out of a battery. This just started last fall, then no rising that bike over the winter, and now I'm on my second battery replacement. I sent Quarq tech support a note but no response yet.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have a G3 hub and am only getting 5-10 hours out of a battery. My Garmin will tell me the power meter battery is low, then a few hours or couple of rides later the battery is dead.

Will a replacement power cap help solve the problem?

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Has anyone found a solution for a XDR driver that works on the G3?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RonMar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the G3 hub uses a Novatec free hub body so that would be the first thing I would check. Maybe you can just pick up a Novatec and be good.

Honestly I can’t figure out what SRAM is doing with PowerTap. I think they completed their buyout quite some time ago and it has been crickets. Sort of like Wahoo and Speedplay.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

Honestly I can’t figure out what SRAM is doing with PowerTap.

The G3 disc hubs are marked down to $299 and the rim brake hubs are $275 on the Sram site. If they kill it, and I understand why they might, it'd be ashame. It's really the best PM on the market.

Over the last 5 years about 75% of my pioneers users have to send it back once per year and then another 50% of those send it back again, probably why they are done.

My quarq users about half send it back once per year and about 20% have to send it back a second time. My SRM users seem to send their back every other year. My shimano and 4iiii power meter users seem to send theirs back every 6 months..don't even ask me about their numbers.

My few powertap users seem to send their wheels back once every 5-6 years. They just work. rarely any power spikes or drop outs, or weird numbers that throw off the p/d curve like shimano, pioneer, 4iiii, stages etc.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did find someone who had success with a Novatec B2 freehub. They did have to use a .2mm spacer behind the cassette to keep it from hitting the spokes. I may give that a try.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [RonMar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a question if anybody was ever able to get the novatec b2 XDR freehub to work with the powertap G3. I hate to give it up as the hub has been rock solid.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [hueby416] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have yet to try it personally. I’m hoping to go the etap route rather than axs to avoid having to replace everything. Unfortunately, there appears to be a ton of cyclists who have the same idea. Etap group sets sell right away if you are lucky to even find them for sale.

If you Google it, you will find one thread where someone was able to change out the hub successfully. I think it was on the weight weenie forum but not 100% on that.
Quote Reply

Prev Next