Yep Saris in WI - hope this helps

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it does. thanks a lot.

i need to replace my LYC. it no longer displays time. i have a 310XT though. so, either $100 for the lyc and down the road upgrade to wireless, i could spend an additional $250 and upgrade to wireless now.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fluid 2 trainer, indoors, too chilly in madison to ride outdoors in teh dark after work for me. :)

G500 for quarq(used for PT mostly too with same results) but LYC for PT last night. it was teh whole 75 min ride doing the same thing, at times nubers were really close and others 30-50w apart for a moment or 2.

gearing....53x16 cadence 70-85 avg 74(trainer cadence is a good 10-20w lower than outdoors)

btw, found 2 drops of green fluid under trainer tonight and I havent been lugging antifreeze around the house
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre-G3 models of PowerTap broadcast 2 data sets at the same time, one on the ANT+ channel and one on our proprietary protocol. The LYC uses the proprietary protocol as does the Joule 2.0. Joule and Joule GPS use ANT+.

The ANT+ power protocol is inherently slower and therefore smoother than our proprietary protocol. This, in addition to the well documented differences between measuring at the crank vs. hub are the reason for the differences you're seeing.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any suggestions on the fluid trainer?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call us or stop by. Lifetime warranty.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bring it with? I know the hours already

As always, you guys have great service
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah bring it with but you might want to call ahead if you want to swap it out on the spot.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
btw, the g500 data for PT is as varying as the LYC data in WKO+ after download
edit... not quite but maybe 80%
Last edited by: jeffp: Dec 6, 12 19:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea when Shimano 11spd compatible freehubs will be available? I have the G3 hub, but my team bike this year will have 9000. I would prefer to train and race on the same bike if at all possible.

I live in Ontario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently had a g3 built into a set of Hed C2 rims for my CX bike.
Was working great until today when it just stopped reading power for 1 solid hour.

I did a google search when I got home, and discovered that this is perhaps a firmware issue that causes the battery to drain prematurely?
I'd love to update my firmware but the G3 wasn't shipped with a usb cable.

Is this just a standard cable?
Can I purchase one from any electronics store?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Larbot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larbot wrote:
Was working great until today when it just stopped reading power for 1 solid hour.

I did a google search when I got home, and discovered that this is perhaps a firmware issue that causes the battery to drain prematurely?

[WRONG]
All you need is PowerAgent and a standard USB to mini USB cable...these are common for cell phones and the same type used for Garmins. I just tried this to make sure my G3 firmware was updated. Very easy.[/WRONG]

EDIT NOTE: Use a micro USB cable, not a mini...:)

"Most of my heroes don't appear on no stamps"
Blog = http://extrememomentum.com|Photos = http://wheelgoodphotos.com
Last edited by: allenpg: Dec 6, 12 20:55
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
Larbot wrote:

All you need is PowerAgent and a standard USB to mini USB cable...these are common for cell phones and the same type used for Garmins. I just tried this to make sure my G3 firmware was updated. Very easy.

I tried and the garmin cable doesn't fit the G3 usb port.
I have an iphone so no luck there.

I'm guessing you actually used a cell phone cable?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:

My bad. It's a micro USB cable. Some cell phones use these too. I got a retractable USB cable at a local computer store for <$10 that includes adapters for just about any type of USB connector.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Larbot wrote:
allenpg wrote:
Larbot wrote:

All you need is PowerAgent and a standard USB to mini USB cable...these are common for cell phones and the same type used for Garmins. I just tried this to make sure my G3 firmware was updated. Very easy.

Garmin and Ipod both don't use mini USB.

A samsung, blackberry or newer nokia cable should work fine. You may also want to check your portable hard drive as some of these use mini usb.

If not you can buy a mini usb cable for pretty cheap at any computer store.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a photo from 2008 of my old PowerTap 2.4+ in a ride after 10 inches of snow in Chicago. I commuted on this baby quite a bit. Never had any issues. Just a rebuild from Saris after several thousand miles. They are in Madison, so they know what bad cycling conditions are like...:) Plus, they have great service and reasonably priced out-of-warranty overhauls. I own several and have easily become a power junkie over the years thanks to the PowerTap.

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [bigrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigrunner wrote:

A samsung, blackberry or newer nokia cable should work fine. You may also want to check your portable hard drive as some of these use mini usb.

Garmin DOES use mini USB, Apple of course has their own proprietary connectors (I won't bring up the iPhone 5)...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Universal_Serial_Bus

The G3 uses a micro USB.

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [allenpg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
allenpg wrote:
bigrunner wrote:

Garmin DOES use mini USB, Apple of course has their own proprietary connectors (I won't bring up the iPhone 5)...:)

http://en.wikipedia.org/...Universal_Serial_Bus

The G3 uses a micro USB.

Sorry meant to say micro... :-) glad you didn't bring up Iphone 5 that's a conversation for a different thread on an entirely different forum.

My recommendations for working cables are all micro... "A samsung, blackberry or newer nokia cable should work fine. You may also want to check your portable hard drive as some of these use mini usb."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2012 PowerTap G3:

Just picked up a 2012 G3C to lace to a Zipp 404 carbon tubular rim:

I thought it suppose to weigh 315g. Mine weighs 330g on my accurate postal scale.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No pictures, but have a wired PT with LYC.
I dont know for sure, but from what I can tell the hub has more than 40,000 km on it.
I bought it second hand and have found an ad from the previous owner advertising it had about 20k on it and Ive added another 20k on it.
Sounds about right as I had to have it relaced into a new rim almost right away as the brake track on the first rim was totally worn down.

First LYC died so I bought a replacement. Otherwise the damn thing is bullet proof and gets used (and abused) rain, hail or shine.
I think I will get the bearings swapped out after this season...might be about time! (even though it still feels ok)
Last edited by: Andrew69: Dec 7, 12 2:07
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Ghost234] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
11spd. bodies have been available for a while now.

http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/accessories/powertap-accessories/11s-freehub-body-kit.html?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_images_norating.tpl&product_id=734&category_id=14

Your local shop in Ontario should be able to get you sorted.

Jesse Bartholomew

Last edited by: powertap: Dec 7, 12 4:19
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Andrew69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loving all the LYC love but man you guys have to upgrade!! Joule and Joule GPS are way better! Joule has all the upside of the LYC and none of the negative.

Seriously, we're still building the little guy (not for much longer) but there is no code space left for firmware updates or changes! It's more or less the same design (hardware too) since 1997!!!

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Loving all the LYC love but man you guys have to upgrade!! Joule and Joule GPS are way better! Joule has all the upside of the LYC and none of the negative.

Seriously, we're still building the little guy (not for much longer) but there is no code space left for firmware updates or changes! It's more or less the same design (hardware too) since 1997!!!

No way! You'll have to pry my LYC from my cold dead aerobar mount! Sometimes when things just work, there is no need (beyond bling and vanity) to upgrade.

Jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Currently running a Pro+ on a DT Rim thanks to Excel Sports clearout last year when the new models came on stream. Had problems due to water ingress but Powertap fixed it under warranty, no questions asked. Cheers.

My question is this: been waiting ages for the new Joules to come out, as my O-Synce computer is extremely limited for power measurement. However, you have omitted the power-smoothing function from both models. When will this be rectified, and will it be for both the 1.0 and GPS models? My preference is for the 1.0. Thanks in advance.

PS: Can I say welcome back to Jackmott as well. This forum is a better place for your presence...not that I ever post much, just a long-time lurker...
Last edited by: trimon: Dec 7, 12 4:41
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [trimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This feature has been added to Joule and is being tested in beta now. We plan to release before the end of the month.

We'll be adding it to Joule GPS in lat Jan. or early Feb. (beta prior to that).

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next