Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Thanks for the bump, hard to keep with all the off shoots here but we're trying!

1> The LYC (Cervo) was updated in March of 2011 to address the distance and average speed issues. (Version 7.63 for wireless and 6.63 for wired)

Bumping this again as a couple of us have reported that versions of Poweragent downloaded after your post are reporting that 7.6 is the latest version and this doesn't have the fix for the problems quoted.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am looking at getting a used Powertap to use with my Garmin Edge 500.

Is there a quick overview of things I should know regarding the unit? And a link to an owners manual that I can read over to get a good understanding of what exactly I'm getting into? This is going to be the most high tech and expensive piece of tri equipment I've ever bought and just want to be well educated on keeping it in good shape and using it right.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ianbal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7.63 is a limited release for those with the distance issues.

You can email me at powertap@gmail.com and we'll get you set up with access to it via PowerAgent. Sorry for the confusion.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for taking care of this, I sent you a pm with my email address. Happy New Year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Appreciate the reason why, but just the possibility of flicking a light on for 2/3 secs every now and then would have been ideal, as don`t need a light that is always on, just the ability to check that I am keeping on track from time to time, and would happily trade the reduction in battery life.

If I can offer a suggestion, I love the Power (status) bar feature but will there be an option via a future firmware/poweragent update to set boundary limits on it? Obviously, doing a full neuromuscular kick skewers the scaling, so the option of setting the bar to display between two set points (eg 150W-350W or say L2-L5) would make it a lot more functionally useful than trying to determine where you are on a scale from 0-max.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good morning Jesse

are you familiar with the Indoor cycles? i'm curious how close the metrics are to the road hubs.

i have a wired unit on my tri bike and i do most of my riding on a trainer. that's cool, its the same numbers indoors and out. now, I'd like to get indoor bike but that means that i'd do all my training on one PT hub and my racing on a different hub. how consistent will they be?

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [trimon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The status bars are intended to provide an indication of whether or not you're on track for maintaining an average so the max. is somewhat irrelevant but I like the suggestion of being able to set the points. We'll definitely add that to our to do list for future firmware updates. Thanks for the suggestion!

Anybody got any other Joule or Joule GPS requests?? Now would be a good time to throw 'em out there for us!

Quote:
If I can offer a suggestion, I love the Power (status) bar feature but will there be an option via a future firmware/poweragent update to set boundary limits on it? Obviously, doing a full neuromuscular kick skewers the scaling, so the option of setting the bar to display between two set points (eg 150W-350W or say L2-L5) would make it a lot more functionally useful than trying to determine where you are on a scale from 0-max.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Dave!

I am all too familiar with the Indoor Cycles and the short answer to your question is that yes, the data between 2 or 200 PowerTap hubs will be the same as all the Indoor Cycles. It's all the same technology with a very similar design.

Quote:
are you familiar with the Indoor cycles? i'm curious how close the metrics are to the road hubs.
i have a wired unit on my tri bike and i do most of my riding on a trainer. that's cool, its the same numbers indoors and out. now, I'd like to get indoor bike but that means that i'd do all my training on one PT hub and my racing on a different hub. how consistent will they be?

Dave

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a list of bug fixes and new features we're currently working on for Joule GPS:

1. Add Auto zero on/off option
  2. If user selects "Stop recording" when memory full device shuts down
  3. Interval button functionality change
  4. Direction pointer on route screen goes beyond turn at certain zoom levels during navigation
  5. Zoom distance on Route/Map screen not saved when switching to other dashboards
  6. Decrease Hold time for Mode button functions
  7. Add 1 week History Calculations to existing 2, 4, 8 wk and 6/12 month
  8. Reverse ride loading from PowerAgent to device history
  9. Power & Cadence display averaging (3,5,10,30 sec.)
  10. Add manual "start' & "stop" feature (user configurable)

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How water proof is the Disc MTB hub? - muddy rides = lots of bike cleaning :)

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jesse,

As everybody else, very happy to have you here helping us Powertap owners.

I've been using some Powertap for years on both my road / TT bikes and also on my Mountain Bikes.
For the first time I seem to have a "serious" problem : all the wireless Powertap I've owned have always shown calibration in the 512-514 range. My MTB SL still show this number. On the other hand my road G3 is now showing 492-493 and it does read low. It started showing this after last firmware update but I don't think it can be the cause of the problem.

Is there anything I can do myself to fix this or do I have to send it to a service center ?

One extra question, I asked a couple of years ago and this product was not planned but have you re-consider making a 140mm rotor for MTB disc Powertap ? For us "light" racers using 140mm rotor during races it would make our life much more simple when switching rear wheel for training...

Thanks a lot in advance for your support.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [ianbal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianbal wrote:
kkoole wrote:
Thanks for the reply. How can I manually update the firmware? Running the utility on Poweragent says my firmware is up to date. I have firmware 7.60- based on your post there's a later version.

Bumping for answer to this as well. Latest Poweragent for mac downloaded this week says 7.6 is latest firmware.

Update: I emailed PT about this and they got right back to me. Eric from Saris provided instructions how to download firmware 7.63 (it is not in full release). Just completed a ride and the time in Poweragent matches my LYC.

Thanks Jesse and Eric from Saris.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The yellow stands out. . .

http://500px.com/photo/21367265

Park City Condo Rentals
http://www.traverseridge.com
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for being a loyal PowerTap supporter! Regarding your G3 issue please try removing the battery cap, waiting 5 seconds and then re-installing it. No need to remove the battery, just the cap. This acts as a sort of reset and the cap will re-read the calibration values from the main hub.

We do intend to make a 140mm rotor but first we need to build an MTB hub around the G3 platform.

Quote:
I've been using some Powertap for years on both my road / TT bikes and also on my Mountain Bikes.
For the first time I seem to have a "serious" problem : all the wireless Powertap I've owned have always shown calibration in the 512-514 range. My MTB SL still show this number. On the other hand my road G3 is now showing 492-493 and it does read low. It started showing this after last firmware update but I don't think it can be the cause of the problem.

Is there anything I can do myself to fix this or do I have to send it to a service center ?

One extra question, I asked a couple of years ago and this product was not planned but have you re-consider making a 140mm rotor for MTB disc Powertap ? For us "light" racers using 140mm rotor during races it would make our life much more simple when switching rear wheel for training...

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Tracy T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
How water proof is the Disc MTB hub? - muddy rides = lots of bike cleaning :)

All PowerTap hubs are extremely water proof. For better or worse we have a history with this issue that has lead to some unique insight into overall robustness and durability of all our hubs. The G3 represents further refinement in this area and all our MTB hubs are now being built with G3 internals that offer this advancement.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would love the 140 rotor MTB hub! My bikes come with the 140 standard, so we had to get the adapter for the 160. Thank you for the response about the weather proofing. We ride in all conditions out here, and also keep the bikes pretty clean.

Vale!
Tracy T
http://www.thelencoaching.com
Some light reading::: http://www.tracythelen.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your answer Jesse,

Did the reset, calibration still is 493. Any other idea ?
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Our tolerances through production are 506 to 518.

Accuracy in the field remains unaffected between about 500 and 524

493 puts it in the range of needing some attention back here in Madison. Give us a call to review the options at 1 800 783 7257

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, sent you a PM about the customer upgrade program. Would love to hear more details. Thanks!

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just replied, sorry for the delay!

Anybody else interested in our upgrade options please give us a call at 800-783-7257 or you can email me at powertap@gmail.com

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Jessie-

I completed a ride, all seemed normal but when I tried to download to PA it says "sample rate of zero not supported". I was able to download to Training Peaks. The ride file shows 41:00 of ride time (LYC shows a correct 1:05:00). Most unusual is the graph- it has all of my intervals for the hour, but everything is shorter in duration (i.e. my 20min interval is recorded as 13min). Power profile looks OK, no distance is recorded.

I know my hub battery is getting low- is this something you see when the hub battery dies? Is there anything I can do with this log?

Thanks for your assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [kkoole] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you done more than one ride? Can you pull the battery out and clr all the data and try again?

Every once in a while with the Cervo there can be some corrupt data after a firmware update. One of the issues with an older hardware platform.....

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He Jesse,

I´m a proud owner of a Shimano WH-7850 C50-CL wheelset. The rear wheel has 20 spokes and i´d like to lace in a powertap G3 hub. I´m a bit insecure about the stiffness of the resulting wheel though. Do you have any experience with this combination?

regards
Joerg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I have done several rides since the upgrade without issue. I'll try your fix.
Damn, that was a nice ride, I wanted that data!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse, I was so happy to find out about the 11speed free hub and I had my LBS order one to install on my Mavic wheels with my previous gen PT hub. However, when we took it out to install it, we found that it is designed to fit the later PT hubs with the larger axle. Is there another 11 speed free hub for the earlier units with the small axle?

Thanks,
Greg

If you are a Canuck that engages in gratuitous bashing of the US, you are probably on my Iggy List. So, save your self a bunch of typing a response unless you also feel the need to gratuitously bash me. If so, have fun.
"Don't underestimate Joe's ability to f___ things up" - Barack Obama, 2020
Quote Reply

Prev Next