Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to review Garmin's release notes but I seem to recall some mention of power sensor issues on versions prior to 2.8

Mdfletcher wrote:
I updated my g3 fw during a battery change a few days ago, had to upgrade garmin to 2.8 to get it to even register a value. Not sure on the PT FW version.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [vickaiser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the inconvenience. Another option (depending where you're located) would be to drop the PowerTap off at a shop and have them call us. We're equally happy to work through a shop as we are directly with our customers.

If that doesn't work I'm sure we can have a Technical rep. rearrange a schedule to stay a little late or come in early to chat with you.

vickaiser wrote:
New PT G3 hub working just fine before my winter break. Charged my Joule GPS and it wouldn't read the PT. Chanced the battery, nothing. Updated firmware, nothing. Removed and re-seated, nothing.

Gotta call support but hours are the same as my work hours. Guess I'll have to take the day off work to see about this.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [d_mcg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your hub is a few months old and you haven't updated firmware it would be a good idea to do so. Should fix this.

d_mcg wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my new PowerTap G3 and Garmin 310xt. When I calibrate I get power readings between 3-5 watts. After un-pairing, re-pairing I get it to read what appears to be accurate power #'s but I'm not confident the data is correct because of the issues I'm having.

Quote:

Went for a ride today and the PowerTap seemed to calibrate normally with a value of 506. However the power was only 3-5W for the ride. I stopped for a while halfway into the ride and when I started out again the calibration was now > 25000 but seemed to be reading power in the right ballpark. I stopped a few times and tried recalibrating and the result was always over 25000.

Does this sound like a Ptap issue or a Garmin problem. I'm using a Garmin 800 and PowerTap G3 which is less than 1 month old. I put new batteries in when I received it.

The cadence during the ride seemed normal with no apparent dropouts so I am assuming the batteries are OK.

Any ideas?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Bmanners] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need the shim kit.

Bmanners wrote:
Is my pro + upgradable to Bluetooth by just changing cover or do I need shim kit?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [DVM_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What firmware version is displayed in the bottom right corner of the PowerTap head unit when you first turn it on? Should be 6.60 or 7.60

DVM_Tri wrote:
I'm having trouble syncing my Elite+ to the power tap head unit. My Timex Global Trainer has no issue syncing, as I've been using it this way for the past 4 months. I've gone through all the protocols and the device cannot "learn" my hub. Haven't tried to sync the head unit with any other devices. I purchased the items together(used), however the head unit had never been used (in original packaging with protective wrap). I've tried changing the batteries. The transmitting indicator that is supposed to light up in the upper left corner has never shown. Any suggestions?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [MattAune] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Try a new battery, the CR2032 is a poor performer in the cold, especially if it is on the old side....Maxell brand CR2032's seem to have some special properties that make them a bit more stable so you could try those for cold temps. They're difficult for us to source in bulk compared to the Energizer we use so we can't use them in production.

MattAune wrote:
Any else have problems with their powertap in the cold? Anything below 25° and it just shuts down and disconnects from my garmins (910 and 510).

Have not tried changing batteries yet. This one is a Pro+ hub, I may put the G3 wheel on the cross bike and see if its different at some point.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [powertap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesse-

Is there any plan to allow the G3 firmware to be updated by a Mac? It seems pretty ridiculous that the feature is there in the software, but doesn't work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It says 5.33, does that mean I need to update the firmware? And how would I go about doing that, I don't have a cable, is there one available for these units or do I need an ANT+ usb stick?
Last edited by: DVM_Tri: Jan 10, 14 3:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks I should be sending in soon then ;0)

Quote | Reply
5.33 is outdated and should be updated but wouldn't prevent you from pairing. You can get the download/upload cable here:

http://www.powertap.com/.../usb-download-cradle

Just to make sure, you might want to review this "how to" video on pairing since the process can be a little confusing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dD6ySxwh9YI

DVM_Tri wrote:
It says 5.33, does that mean I need to update the firmware? And how would I go about doing that, I don't have a cable, is there one available for these units or do I need an ANT+ usb stick?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately I have tried that "learn" protocol several times. My timex global picks up the hub with no issues, but the head unit 2.4 does not learn the hub.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Worked like a charm. I updated the firmware to the latest and greatest. Now power is display correctly. Thanks!

powertap wrote:
If your hub is a few months old and you haven't updated firmware it would be a good idea to do so. Should fix this.

d_mcg wrote:
I'm having the same issue with my new PowerTap G3 and Garmin 310xt. When I calibrate I get power readings between 3-5 watts. After un-pairing, re-pairing I get it to read what appears to be accurate power #'s but I'm not confident the data is correct because of the issues I'm having.

Quote:

Went for a ride today and the PowerTap seemed to calibrate normally with a value of 506. However the power was only 3-5W for the ride. I stopped for a while halfway into the ride and when I started out again the calibration was now > 25000 but seemed to be reading power in the right ballpark. I stopped a few times and tried recalibrating and the result was always over 25000.

Does this sound like a Ptap issue or a Garmin problem. I'm using a Garmin 800 and PowerTap G3 which is less than 1 month old. I put new batteries in when I received it.

The cadence during the ride seemed normal with no apparent dropouts so I am assuming the batteries are OK.

Any ideas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I was wrong. You will need to update the head unit firmware.

DVM_Tri wrote:
Unfortunately I have tried that "learn" protocol several times. My timex global picks up the hub with no issues, but the head unit 2.4 does not learn the hub.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could I use an ANT+ stick or do I specifically need that cable?

Thanks for all of your help!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi there,

Just installed PowerAgent 7.5.8.43 and I used to be able to merge activities straight after download, but this capability seems to have been removed. You only see a Save or Close button in the Saving Power Data window after downloading the activity. I use a LYC and wondering if there is any way to get this Merge activity enabled ? Is there a setting that can be done in the Preferences ?

thanks,
/derek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks a bunch. It never occurred to my small mind that I can just take the wheel with me to work and there's no need to take my whole bike. I called during a break and got it working. AWESOME customer service. Appreciate it.

powertap wrote:
Sorry for the inconvenience. Another option (depending where you're located) would be to drop the PowerTap off at a shop and have them call us. We're equally happy to work through a shop as we are directly with our customers.

If that doesn't work I'm sure we can have a Technical rep. rearrange a schedule to stay a little late or come in early to chat with you.

vickaiser wrote:
New PT G3 hub working just fine before my winter break. Charged my Joule GPS and it wouldn't read the PT. Chanced the battery, nothing. Updated firmware, nothing. Removed and re-seated, nothing.

Gotta call support but hours are the same as my work hours. Guess I'll have to take the day off work to see about this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Jesse,

I am using a wired powertap-carbon cut outs. Have been happy for the most part, except for the cpu's-lyc. I was in the USA, now I live in Ireland. I have been through 5 cpus , almost one each year, the previous lyc's would start to miss pieces of the lcd, so I would replace. The current one, started to fade, but then would be fine when I removed and re-inserted the battery, while this was a pain in the ass and meant I had to reset the ride data date when I downloaded it, it was do-able. Now when i use the cradle to download, it is downloading nothing, not getting any data. The data is on the cpu and is taking data during the spin.
The firmware is 4.07. do I need to purchase yet another cpu? thanks in advance,
Patrick Clifford.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

I have had on and off issues getting one of my 3 g3 power taps to return a calibration value to any of my four garmins. The other 2 work flawlessly.

My last troubleshooting escapade has led me to believe, if I lightly tighten the securing nut to the tube it seems to work, if tighten it harder even with bare hands it does not return a calibration value, but syncs and reports power fine. I am not a gorilla, like many triathletes I need my wife to open food jars.. So it is not a rediculous torque.

Any merrit to this or any other ideas why I don't a return cal value?assuming current FW with both devices and good battery?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
powertap wrote:
Sorry you to see you leave and good luck with your new system. Do me a favor and email me an honest comparison after you've used it for a few months at jbartholomew@powertap.com

will do, took the new unit for a the first run tonight, only 30 min or so, but kept the G3 running on my 910xt.

there were a few differences which I expected, ( such as peak power ) but the readings between the two units were well within expected margin of error ( 2w difference on the power averages NP,AP and 20min max ) and only tiny differences on TSS and IF which I put down to a 50w difference in the peak power figure ( short rides would magnify this effect. )

half of me is glad that in spite of teh G3 returning a zero offset of 492, the data seems to be usable, the other half of me wishes i could have verified the data without dropping a wedge of cash to find out.

live and learn :P no regrets though.

edit: am using Q-rings as well, so was interested to see how that affected the readings between the two different units. not a big enough data set to evaluate it yet however.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Last edited by: slidecontrol: Jan 13, 14 13:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've purchased the connector cable for my power tap hub head unit 2.4. When I plug it into the USB and turn it on, it displays "Host". However I cannot find it on my Mac. I've downloaded the power agent software and when I select transfer, it says "Cannot find supported device". I'm stumped on how to get this head unit to function?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jesse.

But 535 is out of range (unused hub) , What should I do?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jesse,

I'm having an issue with the heart rate zones in Power Agent. I did a 20 minute interval where my HR went from 145 to 175 increasing steadily. The information is shown correctly on the graphs. However, the HR Zone Tab does not display the data properly. It reads 93.7% (18:44) at 174-250 bpm. Is there a fix for this?

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [irishpat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The LYC has been around for a while. We stopped actively developing and supporting it around 2008. It was developed in 1998. That's not an excuse for needing a new one every year but from the usual (make sure you've cleared, all the data off and make sure you've got a fresh battery) it might be time to upgrade to a Joule. You can give us a call to discuss options but since you're in Ireland we may need to use our local distributor.

irishpat wrote:
Hey Jesse,

I am using a wired powertap-carbon cut outs. Have been happy for the most part, except for the cpu's-lyc. I was in the USA, now I live in Ireland. I have been through 5 cpus , almost one each year, the previous lyc's would start to miss pieces of the lcd, so I would replace. The current one, started to fade, but then would be fine when I removed and re-inserted the battery, while this was a pain in the ass and meant I had to reset the ride data date when I downloaded it, it was do-able. Now when i use the cradle to download, it is downloading nothing, not getting any data. The data is on the cpu and is taking data during the spin.
The firmware is 4.07. do I need to purchase yet another cpu? thanks in advance,
Patrick Clifford.

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Re: Official PowerTap Thread [Mdfletcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are mechanical stops on the power cap so tightening more or less really doesn't change much in the way of any connections so I don't think that's the issue.

When you say it doesn't return a calibration value you mean there is no data at all that comes back when you send the calibration command from the Garmin? Does the Garmin report a calibration message (success or fail)?

Assuming firmware is up to date on all devices the only other thing that comes to mind immediately are the challenges dealing with multiple power meters with the Garmin. The Garmin likes to swap around a little bit. Keep in mind the PowerTap, especially G3, has a broadcast range of at least 20 feet and does a good job getting around corners etc. Point being are you 100% sure you're connected to the intended sensor?

Mdfletcher wrote:
Jesse,

I have had on and off issues getting one of my 3 g3 power taps to return a calibration value to any of my four garmins. The other 2 work flawlessly.

My last troubleshooting escapade has led me to believe, if I lightly tighten the securing nut to the tube it seems to work, if tighten it harder even with bare hands it does not return a calibration value, but syncs and reports power fine. I am not a gorilla, like many triathletes I need my wife to open food jars.. So it is not a rediculous torque.

Any merrit to this or any other ideas why I don't a return cal value?assuming current FW with both devices and good battery?

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The old 2.4 units and USB cradle are infamously finicky in regards to connection between the head unit and the cradle. Give it an extra push until you hear a click. (It will say host without being fully connected).

DVM_Tri wrote:
I've purchased the connector cable for my power tap hub head unit 2.4. When I plug it into the USB and turn it on, it displays "Host". However I cannot find it on my Mac. I've downloaded the power agent software and when I select transfer, it says "Cannot find supported device". I'm stumped on how to get this head unit to function?

Thanks

Jesse Bartholomew

Quote Reply

Prev Next