Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Carl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like I have a lead on a base bar (thanks slowtwitch!). Before I pull the trigger, could you confirm that part # 423514 is correct and compatible with an early 2011 Speed Concept 9 series that shipped with the first-gen base bar, which had a spacer permanently bonded to it?

Thanks a whole bunch!

- Stephan
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stephanl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quick question for SC owners using Di2 11 speed e-tubes.

I am in the process of upgrading my 7970 (10 speed Di2) to a 9070 (11 speed Di2). To limit costs, I am slowly purchasing individual parts from all over the Universe - and beyond - as long as they are cheaper than retail and offer free shipping. So, I have now amassed a bunch of 9070 parts but still missing the wiring harnesses that connect everything to everything. I believe (based on my limited knowledge of the 9070 groupset), that I need four e-tube wires:

1) To connect Junction A at the cockpit to Junction B at the Bottom Bracket;
2) To connect Junction B to the Internal Battery at the seatpost;
3) To connect Junction B to the Front Derailleur; and
4) To connect Junction B to the Rear Derailleur.

So my question is - what specific lengths do you have / recommend for the above mentioned four wires? My 2010 SC (the old classic, better one) is a size Medium. To assist you in answering my question, I think I will need the following lengths:

1) 750 mm
2) 55 mm
3) 25 mm
4) 55 mm

I just want to be sure before I purchase these wires that they are not too long (to be slapping around inside my frame) or too short (to be stretched out too much.)

Would appreciate any comments on the above.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Last edited by: paxfobiscum: Sep 16, 14 14:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl:

Looking at a P1-9 Series, but I'm having a problem with the width of the aero bar mono extensions being too wide at the gear selectors. Is the UCI-Legal version basebar (P/N 427064) a current version that will fit with the current SC on a med-far stem, or is the mono-plug in (P/N 438481) the way to handle this issue with corresponding hardware? I'd like an Ergo-style (ski-bend) extension.

I run an older version RXL basebar with ski bends, and that basebar also has the up-curved ends where the brake levers plug into the tips. That type of bar would be perfect. There is an aero penalty but I prefer that feel and comfort.

A similar match might be the cockpit type shown in the photos of Jen Voigt for his 1-hour TT challenge on Sept 18.

Also, any postings of photos of the UCI-legal base bar would be terrific as it does not show on the Project 1 customization website.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
think you're missing a digit on those last three? unless you meant cm not mm.

you'll want to have enough extra length to make running the wires and making the connections possible without pulling the other end back into the frame.

personally, I'd take a tape measure to my frame, running it from BB to all the connection points, and adding 5-10cm at each end. don't forget that if you're going to try putting the internal battery in teh old SC post you'll want to have enough slack that you can remove/install the post without disconnecting a wire.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [fishgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
427064 only fits the original SC, not the new 2014 version. there are some shots of the 2014 UCI legal bar in the Jens hour bike gallery on cyclingnews.com (image #s 4 & 16).

the plug'n'play mono is indeed the tool for running your own favorite extension shapes at whatever rotation puts the shifters in your happy place.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, Roger that!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Carl -

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but trying to see what other cranksets are compatible with BB90 aside from Shimano in short crank lengths ie 165mm and below.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [DeejayRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not something I've got memorized, sorry :-)

BB90 accepts a 24mm BB spindle...which means GXP or Shimano-compatible.

So I'm in the same boat you are...and here's how I'd go looking: make (or Google) a list of crank manufacturers, find their websites, search for models which are either GXP or Shimano-compatible, and check available lengths in those models. A quick check of Rotor's site indicates they offer some pretty short lengths in their 3D road cranks, for example. They list 3D as Shimano-compatible. Their 3D+, on the other hand, has a 30mm spindle for BB30 installations, and wouldn't work in BB90.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rotor 3D use the Shimano spindle (it's a straight swap), however they've recently discontinued lengths shorter than 165mm. Only the 3D+ will be available in short lengths.

However, Cobb's cranks are available in 160, 155 and 145mm, and they're GXP.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [tessartype] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question, novice. Are the 3D cranks/ rings worth the extra hundreds of dollars on a tri bike? Steep cost for upgrade.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [vanfelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Carl,

Any chance you'd be able to find the color specification (Pantone Solid, CMYK, etc.) for the green paint color on the 2013 Speed Concept 7.0? I know it's not engineering so it's not really your department...

Thanks
Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [alexabbas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Alex-

My brother is the artist...he could probably look at that bike and tell you exactly what green that is in whatever format you want. Anyway, I asked my go-to paint guy and got this back...hope it means something useful to you: "It is somewhere between PMS 368 and PMS 369"

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect, thanks Carl!!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [vanfelt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanfelt wrote:
Question, novice. Are the 3D cranks/ rings worth the extra hundreds of dollars on a tri bike? Steep cost for upgrade.

The answer is, as usual, it depends. The basic 3D is not superior to Dura-Ace and Ultegra, for example, though the 3D+, which doesn't fit a Trek, is about DA level.

I bought two Rotor 3D cranks, in the lengths I need for my TT and road bikes respectively, and bought a Power2Max powermeter to mount on that. Was it worth it? Well, it's definitely not as pretty as the Dura Ace 7800 crank it replaced, but it does measure my power, which is nice.

However, I've stuck to round chainrings, so I can't comment on that.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to order a set of Bontrager Aeolus D3 5 tubular wheels, with white spokes!, and the bike shop informed me that only black spokes are available. It seems odd that Trek/Bontrager would not sell white spoke Aeolus wheels when it was an option when i ordered my 2014 P1 Speed Concept in July.

Any ideas on how I could get white spoked Aeolus 5 tubular wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [bobknox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
best guess is that it has to do with a model-year changeover...from what I can tell, white spokes were an OE and aftermarket option for 2014 wheelsets while black is the only color for aftermarket in 2015.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl,
Could you tell me the part # for the pinch bolt on the 2014 SC7 stem adapter? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [olbmtb52] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not sold separately...included in steer-stub bolt kit 511065, which has the pinch bolt and the two bolts holding the stem to the fork.

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carl, am I correct in assuming that if I am running a 25 mm and 10 mm spacer on the original speed concept low far stem that I could accomplish the same stack on both the medium far and near by using no spacers?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to within a few mm (the chart is set up for ease of reading, not pinpoint accuracy), yes

Carl Matson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok the chart mad it seem otherwise but I thought the difference in stack was 35mm between the stems so wanted to double check.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
35mm exactly on the 2014 bike...32.5mm on the old one...but who's counting ;-)

Carl Matson
Quote Reply

Prev Next