Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
stevie g wrote:
Think there a few points being made:

one his act deserves to be punished

we have seen examples where the law does crazy thins eg going to the toilet while on a bike ride

where are we going with this. Playing basketball in 90's got to free throw line team veteran pats my bottom, stop game call cops have him arrested.

https://www.theguardian.com/...rgebush.olympics2008

Beach players pat bums after a good point or even bad one. Are we going to post feeds from games and have same outrage.

I'm confused, are you comparing this to a situation where a woman asks a man to pat her on the bottom?

And for teammates who know eachother playing a game together, that would generally be a different situation because you would know ahead of time that the contact is welcome.

I'm super confused at the folks justifying a man slapping a woman he does not know on the ass by comparing it to sports teams where players slap eachother on the ass. The disconnect is massive, and I am genuinely curious as to whether they truly believe the two examples are the same
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you assumed i wanted it
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
you assumed i wanted it

I'm sorry you had to endure that.

I think there is a big difference between the two, though, and it is all about the motivation for the contact. In the basketball game, the motivation is to provide encouragement or congratulations. As you can point out, this can still be unwanted contact, in which case it should not happen, but...

In the case like the topic of this thread, the motivation is to assert sexual domination and power over someone who can't do anything about it. Of course it is not the same level as rape or a violent sexual assault, but that motivation makes a tremendous difference - particularly to how it is experienced by the slappee.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Meh, trolls gonna troll and set up straw men
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes I agree. Issue is that over years we normalised things like butt slapping.

The answer is don’t do it now this guy was going for a big grab and is rightly getting hammered.

Safe sport code is a good thing. Volleyball players should not be butt slapping either
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Well I thought I knew the difference, but I'm told my intentions don't matter. Now apparently, they do.

Good thing you folks weren't in charge in 1962 when that kid in The Sandlot pranked the lifeguard to steal a kiss. Instead of marrying her, he'd still be breaking rocks in Canon City with Ted Kaczynski.

You can add "Master Exaggerator" to your signature ;-)

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Man, this thread is going off in some radical directions. Hands chopped off, 80s cigar-smoking arse whacking sentimentality, moral outrage, casual apathy. All the bases are covered, good work ST.

To lighten the mood, can I point out the following two excellent pieces of (ostensibly) accidental wordplay;

PJC wrote:
But charging him for assault is a bot over the top

Calamityjane88 wrote:
What a bummer for her

To unlighten the mood, for me, if the assaultee finds the assault to be sexual, then it is probably sexual. The difference in opinion between the assaulter and the assaultee is something for the judge to untangle, but if you put your hands on somebody without their permission then your fate is in their hands. The modern-thinking way to go about your business is to understand that somebody else's view may not be your own and, as such, it is probably not a good idea to smack a young woman* on the arse. As if that had to be said out loud.

*or a woman of any age, or any person for that matter. Seriously, just keep your hands to yourself and everything will be ok.

To those who find it a mild and unsexual thing to pat an unfamiliar young woman on the arse - it isn't up to you. It is up to the owner of the arse.

Cheers, Rich.

I understand that we all love to bicker and disagree about things on this forum, but I can't for the life of me understand how this doesn't settle the matter conclusively, here and now. Is it even philosophically possible to debate this perspective?

Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
What if you slap a friend on the ass in the middle of the race, and you both laugh about it. But someone who sees what just happened is traumatized by what they witnessed? If they perceive it as a sexual act and it wasn’t something they wanted to see...

I see you guys bringing up these ridiculous situations that you appear to interpret as analogous to the present situation. I'm sure there are plenty of examples that we might refer to as "on the line", but these are just so far from that. For clarity, as has been previously discussed, the slapped ass in your example doesn't belong to that offended spectator and therefore they can't bring charges. I'm sure you understand the principle differences therein.

Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Toban wrote:
I said “some of the posts”, not all. In same post I said “the majority” agrees it was inappropriate. Many of the posts in this thread have been thoughtful and respectful. Not all. I don’t know where the interpretation that I found the whole thread disturbing came from. That isn’t the case or my intention.

Someone asked me to clarify what I found disturbing. My clarifying response was “any post” that indicated it wasn’t a big deal. I agree (and said) in my original comment that the majority saw it as inappropriate action.

My point is that we can’t decide for the reporter if it was hurtful or playful. We can’t decide what her personal physical boundaries are. It was done without her consent and it is her choice to view it with whatever lens she saw it in. She has clearly reported that she felt objectified by it and called him out on it. My point is that we can’t assume a stranger will understand our intent or interpret it as innocent. The victim and the legal system should determine appropriate punishment, rather than us enacting our own punishments (for either party).

no problem with any of this. and i could have replied to a number of people (beside you) with what i wrote. (you were just the lucky one!) we're friends here. nobody in this thread is evil, or without ethics, nobody's needle is pointed in the wrong direction. the one mild objection i'd take with your view is that i don't believe the victim gets to choose the severity of the crime. what if she thought there was no crime? what if she thought it was perfectly okay to slap her ass? would you? because i wouldn't.

there are certainly lessons here. layers of lessons. the lesson i'm most interested in us all absorbing is how to talk about this - disagree about this - without eating each other.

Then she doesn't call him out on social media, she doesn't discuss the matter with the police (who definitely DO think it was a crime) and she may even invite you and others to slap her ass. At that point, it's up to you whether you take her up on the offer. If you don't want to, and she pushes her ass on to your hand, she's in violation of the law just as you would have been if you grabbed her ass without invitation. The clear theme here is consent. People don't get to touch you without it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
The tyranny you’re referring to is the right of women to have exclusive control over their own bodies?

Is that your point?
The tyranny of those who have decided that inappropriate should mean illegal.

If the butt-slapper was a girl and the reporter was a dude, this wouldn't even be a thing even though it is equally inappropriate.

Can you make a guess why that might be the case?

Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
The tyranny you’re referring to is the right of women to have exclusive control over their own bodies?

Is that your point?

If the butt-slapper was a girl and the reporter was a dude, this wouldn't even be a thing even though it is equally inappropriate.

It’s kind of similar if a woman slaps the butt of a man, but different, too. Women are sensitive to insults these days. That’s the way it is given the vastly different historical realities for men and women. Maybe if men had to fight tooth and nail for the right to own property, vote, have equal access to education, legal protection from sexual assaults, among other things, men might be as sensitive to the implications of unwanted touching. Of these dramatic markers of the historic differences between the sexes, please keep in mind that sexual violence against women continues unabated.

You’re right that it’s inappropriate in both scenarios. Should inappropriate conduct always result in legal action? Of course not. But I hope you understand the background for women’s feelings about this.

Well, you answered the question that I just asked him. Hopefully he plagiarize verbatim.

Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
The reporter was live on air. Those saying that somehow she could have caught the guy and slapped him back is ridiculous even if the reporter believed that the solution to being slapped is to slap back.

I care because I don't think any person working should be slapped by a stranger. Am I am member of the mob simply because I agree with others who feel the same?

To those who write that it is unfortunate that this guy is going to be penalized more severely because this was captured on video, I doubt this was the first time he had seen a reporter covering a race. In fact, I'm guessing he slapped her because he knew she was a reporter who may have well been on air and wasn't paying any attention to him. I'm sorry that the guy made a poor risk calculation, but I don't feel much grief for him. All he had to do was keep his hands to himself. He could have just smiled at the camera and kept running.

Utterly ridiculous, unless you're inviting an arrest and assault charge against yourself. Does anyone actually think you can just hit people, even in retaliation? Have you ever actually done it? Because I have. And I spent the night in jail. And I got kicked out of my PhD program at the time. I would strongly advise against that course of action. It could very likely change your life in a negative way.

Last edited by: domingjm: Dec 9, 19 14:44
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
You can add "Master Exaggerator" to your signature ;-)
And I still don't think I've topped the ridiculousness of believing a guy committed an act of sexual violence by slapping a reporter on the butt when, 5 seconds prior, someone in a gorilla costume ran past.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:

This has nothing to do with a suit, nor civil litigation. This was a crime and he is facing a deserved punishment. Learn the difference.

Oh please this is not a crime.

And I await the outcome of nothing happening other than internet trolls trying to make it about them like you have.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
Commentary on a Pathetics Thread on this topic is a bit disappointing.

What does this mean? Sorry, I have no imagination.

I guess the hidden meaning was: I saw another group discussing this, am aware of it, have nothing of value to add but want you to know, I know about it!

The disappointing part to me was the number of foks chiming in over there with comments along the lines of "what's the big deal, people in sports spank eachother all the time", etc. But as has been stated multiple times on this thread, pfoten weg (limited german I remember for 'hands off'). And disappointing that some people need that message to be repeated.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
Tsunami wrote:

This has nothing to do with a suit, nor civil litigation. This was a crime and he is facing a deserved punishment. Learn the difference.

Oh please this is not a crime.

And I await the outcome of nothing happening other than internet trolls trying to make it about them like you have.

I'm not going to debate the logistics of level of crime here. Only point out my laziness of not cancelling my post to go back and hit quote vs reply, which has led you to misattribute the above statement to me vs to a prior poster.

My involvement in this exchange was primarily to suggest people have rational discourse rather than, as Slowman put it, paint each other with their rightenousness.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Dec 9, 19 18:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
[And I still don't think I've topped the ridiculousness of believing a guy committed an act of sexual violence by slapping a reporter on the butt when, 5 seconds prior, someone in a gorilla costume ran past.

I think you have. If not, you're definitely trying...

Trying to figure out what the gorilla costume has to do with it: would it be impossible to commit a crime at a clown college?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just the fake outrage virtue signalling culture of 2019. They don't care about the actual act itself, they just feel proud to hunt any middle aged white guy down and call him sexist or racist.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Let's catch and prosecute the criminals, but not make crimes where there were none.
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
monty wrote:
Let's catch and prosecute the criminals, but not make crimes where there were none.
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

I’m with you on everything Trent. I’m not saying his actions weren’t inappropriate and immature....but good lord come on people.

And don’t worry people, he’s been banned from future races. You can go to sleep knowing this sexual predator won’t be freely roaming race courses anymore. Now we just need to watch him 24/7 to make sure he’s not molesting young children at his church. Because that’s the logical conclusion of what he does.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
This is just the fake outrage virtue signalling culture of 2019. They don't care about the actual act itself, they just feel proud to hunt any middle aged white guy down and call him sexist or racist.

I think you responded to the wrong post....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
Man, this thread is going off in some radical directions. Hands chopped off, 80s cigar-smoking arse whacking sentimentality, moral outrage, casual apathy. All the bases are covered, good work ST.

To lighten the mood, can I point out the following two excellent pieces of (ostensibly) accidental wordplay;

PJC wrote:
But charging him for assault is a bot over the top

Calamityjane88 wrote:
What a bummer for her

To unlighten the mood, for me, if the assaultee finds the assault to be sexual, then it is probably sexual. The difference in opinion between the assaulter and the assaultee is something for the judge to untangle, but if you put your hands on somebody without their permission then your fate is in their hands. The modern-thinking way to go about your business is to understand that somebody else's view may not be your own and, as such, it is probably not a good idea to smack a young woman* on the arse. As if that had to be said out loud.

*or a woman of any age, or any person for that matter. Seriously, just keep your hands to yourself and everything will be ok.

To those who find it a mild and unsexual thing to pat an unfamiliar young woman on the arse - it isn't up to you. It is up to the owner of the arse.

Cheers, Rich.

I understand that we all love to bicker and disagree about things on this forum, but I can't for the life of me understand how this doesn't settle the matter conclusively, here and now. Is it even philosophically possible to debate this perspective?

Of course it’s possible. Georgia appears to define sexual battery as intentionally making contact with the intimate body parts of another without that persons consent. Intimate body parts including genitals, anus, inner thighs, breasts of a woman and buttocks.

This act would appear to meet those elements.

However, in other jurisdictions that would not be the case. As an example, KS also has a sexual battery misdemeanor. It’s a misdemeanor, but is actually a good deal more serious than most misdemeanors as conviction requires registration.

That statute defines sexual battery as the touching of a victim who is not the spouse of the offender, who is 16 or more years of age and who does not consent thereto, with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the offender or another.

You will note that it is the intent of the defendant that matters and not the feelings of the victim. Proving intent of that nature can be difficult.

As it stands, since this happened in Georgia this guy has some real problems. If it happened at the Gobbler Grind here in KS, we tell the prosecutor to pound sand on his offer to plea as charged and go on the list, set it for jury trial and end up pleading to garden variety battery since the PA isn’t an idiot and realizes that he’s never going to convince all of the jurors beyond a reasonable doubt that this guy slapped a woman’s behind, in the middle of a race, to satisfy sexual desires.

What is or it isn’t sexual battery or sexual assault will vary state to state and sometimes by city. I’m not going to spend my evening doing a survey of all 50 states, but I’d be surprised if any that require a sexual intent consider the victim’s feelings on whether it was sexual to the victim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:

And, last, I wouldn't suggest the butt-slapper be prosecuted or have his or her livelihood destroyed to win Internet kudos.

And someone please explain - why am I supposed to care so very much about how the reporter feels? The butt-slapper should care and hopefully feel shame and remorse. But why should I care? Why should the mob care? Why should the law care?

I wouldn’t want the butt-slapper’s life ruined either. By slapping her butt on TV, he unwittingly made an example of himself. Fool x 2.

The reason we care about how this reporter feels and, generally speaking, how ALL women feel is because as a nation we recognize the importance of dignity. If a woman knows it is acceptable that she is humiliated at work, it stands to reason that she might think twice about pursuing or continuing that line of work. I assume you support the idea that women should be free to pursue whatever career they choose.

I misspoke earlier when I said sexual violence is unabated. I don’t know one way or the other about the rise or fall of sexual violence. What I should have said is that the threat of sexual violence, sexual harassment, and barriers for personal and professional growth based on sexism are still a reality to every woman and girl.

Because there is this lurking threat, small, seemingly-inconsequential acts of sexual aggression or invasion of physical boundaries have a negative impact on women and girls. The acts may embolden someone else to do worse. The acts keep a woman in a defensive frame of mind. The acts draw mental energy away from worthwhile pursuits.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:

That said - I will and do apologize to the ladies on this forum for being ~ possibly ~ insensitive and crass on such a subject - because put simply, I am not a lady. I am a large male who does not often feel threatened who has a ridiculous sense of humor and something like this - a slap on the butt - from a girl or a guy or a gay girl or a gay guy even - would not bother me in the slightest. I would laugh and say something like "wooo getting frisky are we!"...I don't see a need to make a mountain out of a mole hill that seemed out of jest and not malice. I like to have fun and make life fun. This is my view point and cannot put myself in the shoes of a smaller woman who may or may not have had bad past experiences. So for coming across as a grade A asshole - I do apologize for that.

Your earlier post, where you said you were going to fight this, had me so mad I closed the internet and walked away, because I was about to spew profanities.

Thus, this apology is very appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThailandUltras wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:

Is that your point?

Reminds me of the three female hosts of The Today Show thinking it was just fine to grope the Tongan Olympian in Rio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PV9G3X5gAA

What the guy did was absolutely wrong. I don't think many men will disagree.

But its hard to understand the vitriol when:

- female news hosts literally rub oil on a mans chest and arms unexpectedly as he's trying to answer a question about being the the olympics opening ceremony. He was trying to answer as he was being taken advantage of.

- A male reporter's genitals are grabbed by a female in the crowd and he calls her out on it and she has zero remorse (cops are around), and nothing is done. No pitch forks and torches.

- Katy Perry tricks a male contestant into kissing her on the lips and steals his first kiss, a kiss he said he was reserving for his first relationship. She literally tricked him, and forced her lips on his as he tried to pull away. She kept her job by the way. No pitch forks and torches.

These are just a couple of examples from recent years. So its very difficult to understand how the public, and many females will drag this man across the coals for something that has previously been seen as acceptable behavior. Or at least seen as behavior that may not be acceptable but doesn't warrant any real repercussions.

The news is using the word "grope" when it certainly wasn't anything remotely close. The reporters rubbed oil repeatedly and grabbed the man's chest. A woman grabbed male genitals on camera and gloated about it. Katy Perry tricked a male to put her mouth on his. And then we have this runner who slapped a butt...but he is the predator we have to worry about. SMDH.

I want them all held accountable for their actions. But appropriately and fairly. Make the punishment fit the crime.
Quote Reply

Prev Next