Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
Commentary on a Pathetics Thread on this topic is a bit disappointing.

What does this mean? Sorry, I have no imagination.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Toban] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, part of the issue is the victim might not decide the punishment.
This is not a legal example so I know it is different but; I was at a work dinner with a number of people and a Senior leader made an off color joke directed at me. It was in really poor taste and pretty bad judgement on his part. I planned to talk to him about it one on one when we returned to the office on Monday. But before I could do that he was terminated. Someone else had reported it, it was verified by another person at the dinner and that was that. I was called into HR so they could let me know it was taken care of. I said "well I planned to discuss with him today and while it was a jerk comment, I would never think that he would or should lose his job for it" I was kind of told "others were offended so action was taken"
This was not a racist, or sexist or religious or any other "ist" joke. I was a White straight male making a joke at the expense of another white straight male. Locker room talk would be the best way to describe it.
My only point is, I feel the reporter should have some say in what the punishment should be, and there is a good chance she will not, if his employer fires him, does she think that is fair? Court? Registered Sex offender? To Slowman's point, very likely the punishment will be much worse for this guy because it was on film and live TV.
Words can not express how dumb this was on the runners part, and he does deserve to be punished or counselled or something with some level of input from the reporter.
Maybe I am wrong, but if I were to guess at what would be the most effective way to have others not repeat this mistake, make him come on the news and discuss the event, with the reporter, and if he apologizes and if she accepts, we move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
The reporter was live on air. Those saying that someone she could have caught the guy and slapped him back is ridiculous even if the reporter believed that the solution to being slapped is to slap back.

I care because I don't think any person working should be slapped by a stranger. Am I am member of the mob simply because I agree with others who feel the same?
I don't think anyone should be slapped by a stranger either. But I also believe this is a tempest in a teapot and does not require prosecution or the social destruction of this man's life.

He deserves a good finger wag, and he's gotten it.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
hadukla wrote:
PJC wrote:
But charging him for assault is a bot over the top.

No. It is not.

PJC wrote:

I haven't read the previous 6 pages but she wasn't doing the race and shouldnt have been on the course.

Ok, fair point. That still doesn't mean he should get off with anything less than a court visit.

So...,. in other words.... "she asked for it"

"she shouldn't have been drunk in that bar"

"she shouldn't have worn that provocative outfit"

I thought we were over the days of blaming women for the way men act... Yes, you do acknowledge the need for punishment, but how on earth is her being in that physical location a "fair point" in any sense of those words?

Ugh. We definitely are not. Today is the first time I've read anything on LetsRun, and I came away with the distinct impression that many of those users would abolish women's suffrage. I wouldn't recommend going over there.....

Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[/quote]On the contrary, I'm confident women don't uniformly feel the same way about this incident or even about this issue.[/quote]

That is unfortunate and I’ve called out women on this behavior, too. Sexual assault happens to males, too, and is drastically underreported.

Women have been on the disproportionate receiving end of this objectification and are finding their voices. More stories about the opposite are coming out and adding to the discussion. It is not only about physical strength differences, but it does unfortunately (and inappropriately) play a part in interpreting the potential harm. We’re saying enough is enough ... regardless of your intention you have no right to touch my body without permission. Regardless of gender or age or color or size or any other feature.

We’ll make more progress when we are inclusive on the concepts of assault and consent.
Last edited by: Toban: Dec 9, 19 11:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
I don't think anyone should be slapped by a stranger either. But I also believe this is a tempest in a teapot and does not require prosecution or the social destruction of this man's life.

He deserves a good finger wag, and he's gotten it.

Social media can certainly be cruel and destructive, emanating from the devices of the most powerful on down. It would be great to read that the guy has already apologized face to face to the reporter.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Dec 9, 19 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Twinkie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
This is my view point and cannot put myself in the shoes of a smaller woman who may or may not have had bad past experiences. So for coming across as a grade A asshole - I do apologize for that.

Well done. I hope you can incorporate this into your world view going forward.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toban wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
The tyranny you’re referring to is the right of women to have exclusive control over their own bodies?

Is that your point?
The tyranny of those who have decided that inappropriate should mean illegal.

If the butt-slapper was a girl and the reporter was a dude, this wouldn't even be a thing even though it is equally inappropriate.

I agree. Gender shouldn’t matter. Equally inappropriate touching and similarly serious if in reverse. I think we often unfairly ignore the reverse actions. We all need to respect each other. Hands off without permission.

If a dude made the same "What the absolute FUCK??!!!" face she did, it would certainly be a thing

Or should be anyway

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

The JSAV reporter was doing her job covering the race.

In the United States of America, unwanted touching is assault; if the prosecutor (JSA, where are you when I need you) decides that her buttocks are sexual, then a sexual assault charge is appropriate and justified
by the video.

That was NOT Sexual assault.

Assault maybe.

If you honestly believe that is sexual assault, your sex life must be out of control. Walk into the kitchen, put your hand on your wifes bum. Was that good for you honey?

The real issue here is you yanks love to sue over anything. And going to court for this is why america is so screwed up. Sure fine the guy $1000 for assault. Force him to say sorry. But anything more is so pathetic.

Technically, its defined as "unlawful sexual contact". Just served on a jury on a similar case of unwanted touching.

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
Toban wrote:
Some of the content of this thread is very disturbing.

Hands off without consent. Not a hard lesson to learn. It is never acceptable. Anywhere on any occasion. By any gender. At any age. We’ve known this for quite some time. I am glad that the majority responding see that. The “bros will be bros” and “it’s harmless, just having a bit of fun” have long been debunked. No additional context is needed to know this is not acceptable behavior. The appropriate punishment will be determined by the justice system and his peers (those in his life) and his victim — not us.

Sporting coaches, group exercise class instructors (eg yoga), etc... are being taught to ask permission before using their hands to correct positions.

The take away lesson: No touching anyone without consent.

Take away: I will fight this movement. Ladies, if you want to slap my ass, go for it. If you are 18, 25, 39, 41, 68, hell 102..ugly, fat, hot, skinny, short, tall, white, black, yellow, purple, gay, straight. GO FOR IT. Hell, in good sport - guys, you feel like giving me a smack on the ass when I am racing, a little boost - Go for it! It wont get me going and Ill continue to sleep with my lady - but if it makes you smile and its in good fun - you firmly plant your hand on my cheek and smile about it. I will smile back and say "hell ya". I will even do a little hip gyration dance to anyone who in good sport and lovingly slaps the rear.

the above is called "not taking life to seriously"

That's your prerogative and it's healthy for you to respond in that manner. I happen to feel the exact same way, insofar as it concerns slapping my ass. But you have to understand that we can't impose our sense of comfort onto other people, who have had very different experiences in life. Women have very different experiences, professionally, growing up and on a daily basis than men do. And these differences affect how we interpret other peoples' behavior toward us. But even if there was no sociological component involved, it's still unreasonable to suggest what another individual should or shouldn't be offended by.

Would you be okay with another guy grabbing your crotch? What about rubbing his crotch on you when you bend over to tie your shoe? What if another guy grabbed your wife/daughter/sister/mother's butt or breasts? Regardless of whether the offender of those behaviors is cool with it happening to him, the rest of us agree that there are clear violations including objectification, overt sexualization and assault.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Toban wrote:
regardless of your intention you have no right to touch my body without permission
"I'm sorry your honor, I had to let her die. I didn't have consent to perform chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth."

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Dec 9, 19 12:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Twinkie wrote:
I would like to agree to slowmans statement:

the act carries a consequence, and rightly so. but the consequence to this man will be greater in proportion to the act because this is what happens when the act itself is magnified by today's media (TV, social media, and the like).

I would also like to point out that this thread is way to charged for my taste. Listen, and we can all agree, this is all based off morals and who views what as what and why and my guess is this is based on past experiences, upbringings, etc. Yes there are laws to quantify sexual assault but that is also why there is a judge to deem what an act is based off circumstance. This forum is great for sooo many differing viewpoints and I love it for that fact.

That said - I will and do apologize to the ladies on this forum for being ~ possibly ~ insensitive and crass on such a subject - because put simply, I am not a lady. I am a large male who does not often feel threatened who has a ridiculous sense of humor and something like this - a slap on the butt - from a girl or a guy or a gay girl or a gay guy even - would not bother me in the slightest. I would laugh and say something like "wooo getting frisky are we!"...I don't see a need to make a mountain out of a mole hill that seemed out of jest and not malice. I like to have fun and make life fun. This is my view point and cannot put myself in the shoes of a smaller woman who may or may not have had bad past experiences. So for coming across as a grade A asshole - I do apologize for that.

Good post. I think that completely addresses my previous comment.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Toban wrote:
regardless of your intention you have no right to touch my body without permission
"I'm sorry your honor, I had to let her die. I didn't have consent to perform CPR and mouth-to-mouth."

Come on now trent. You know the difference, and I certainly won't be the first to point that out. I'm sure you can find a more realistic example than that.

In fact, if you just "let her die", you'd likely face prosecution. Unless, of course, you could demonstrate that you were concerned for your safety. You might want to read up on that ;-)

Last edited by: domingjm: Dec 9, 19 12:12
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
SallyShortyPnts wrote:

The JSAV reporter was doing her job covering the race.

In the United States of America, unwanted touching is assault; if the prosecutor (JSA, where are you when I need you) decides that her buttocks are sexual, then a sexual assault charge is appropriate and justified
by the video.

That was NOT Sexual assault.

Assault maybe.

If you honestly believe that is sexual assault, your sex life must be out of control. Walk into the kitchen, put your hand on your wifes bum. Was that good for you honey?

The real issue here is you yanks love to sue over anything. And going to court for this is why america is so screwed up. Sure fine the guy $1000 for assault. Force him to say sorry. But anything more is so pathetic.

This guy was physically, sexually aggressive towards this woman, because he thought that she was not in a position to do anything about it and it makes him feel powerful. American society has decided to give women tools to deter this kind of assault by making it against the law. American certainly has things screwed up about it, but the fact that our society has decided to reject this behavior is not one of those things.

Comparing this to a husband grabbing his wife's bum is so absurd I don't even know how to respond. It shows some sort of abject lack of social intelligence.

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems clear to me that it is either sexual battery or assault, depending on how Georgia defines these things.

I saw on marathon investigation that this guy is a youth church minister. A guy who is willing to exercise this kind of unwanted sexual aggression towards someone in public is certainly willing to go even further in private. Giving this person the kind of power and influence a youth minister has over children is truly frightening.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well I thought I knew the difference, but I'm told my intentions don't matter. Now apparently, they do.

Good thing you folks weren't in charge in 1962 when that kid in The Sandlot pranked the lifeguard to steal a kiss. Instead of marrying her, he'd still be breaking rocks in Canon City with Ted Kaczynski.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
I saw on marathon investigation that this guy is a youth church minister. A guy who is willing to exercise this kind of unwanted sexual aggression towards someone in public is certainly willing to go even further in private. Giving this person the kind of power and influence a youth minister has over children is truly frightening.
Precisely the way I feel about Internet posters who want the guy's life destroyed. Just imagine if these aspiring tyrants were in charge!

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Dec 9, 19 12:22
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
Twinkie wrote:

Take away: I will fight this movement. Ladies, if you want to slap my ass, go for it. If you are 18, 25, 39, 41, 68, hell 102..ugly, fat, hot, skinny, short, tall, white, black, yellow, purple, gay, straight. GO FOR IT. Hell, in good sport - guys, you feel like giving me a smack on the ass when I am racing, a little boost - Go for it! It wont get me going and Ill continue to sleep with my lady - but if it makes you smile and its in good fun - you firmly plant your hand on my cheek and smile about it. I will smile back and say "hell ya". I will even do a little hip gyration dance to anyone who in good sport and lovingly slaps the rear.

the above is called "not taking life to seriously"

That's your prerogative and it's healthy for you to respond in that manner. I happen to feel the exact same way, insofar as it concerns slapping my ass. But you have to understand that we can't impose our sense of comfort onto other people, who have had very different experiences in life. Women have very different experiences, professionally, growing up and on a daily basis than men do. And these differences affect how we interpret other peoples' behavior toward us. But even if there was no sociological component involved, it's still unreasonable to suggest what another individual should or shouldn't be offended by.

Would you be okay with another guy grabbing your crotch? What about rubbing his crotch on you when you bend over to tie your shoe? What if another guy grabbed your wife/daughter/sister/mother's butt or breasts? Regardless of whether the offender of those behaviors is cool with it happening to him, the rest of us agree that there are clear violations including objectification, overt sexualization and assault.

well - as long as it was gentle and didnt hurt. Like a pleasant tickle. If he did the second part - I would be like bro, Im not paying you for that. If it was someone who grabbed my sisters or moms rear end - I would say to everyone around, "ladies and gentleman, he wont make it round 2 with my sister as he gets knocked the f*ck out"...if it was my mom - I would knock him the f*ck out and say "guilty" when the judge asks how I plead.

now to quote the great Dave Chappelle: “The girl says "Oh uh-uh, wait a minute! Wait a minute! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a whore!" Which is true, Gentlemen, that is true. Just because they dress a certain way doesn't mean they are a certain way. Don't even forget it. But ladies, you must understand that is fucking confusing. It just is. Now that would be like me, Dave Chappelle, the comedian, walking down the street in a cop uniform. Somebody might run up on me saying, "Oh, thank God. Officer, help us! Come on. They're over here. Help us!" "Oh-hoh! Just because I'm dressed this way does not make me a police officer!" See what I mean? All right, ladies, fine. You are not a whore. But you are wearing a whore's uniform.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Precisely the way I feel about Internet posters who want the guy's life destroyed. Just imagine if these aspiring tyrants were in charge!

I've come to understand over the years that a disturbingly high number of women I know have experienced real and terrible sexual assault and rape. But for a bunch of reasons, many have kept it secret from almost everybody. Acceptance of the kind of behavior in this video is part of the reason some men feel empowered to go even further. And it's the terrible experiences that many women have had in the past that make this kind of aggression much worse for them than it may seem on the surface to many men.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:
Acceptance of the kind of behavior in this video is part of the reason some men feel empowered to go even further. And it's the terrible experiences that many women have had in the past that make this kind of aggression much worse for them than it may seem on the surface to many men.
The butt-slapper must be crucified or he's going to be a rapist. Or, at least, someone else will.

Is that what you're really saying? Because that's how it reads.

I'd like to assume better of you, but you've already insinuated he's a danger to children (and all after observing three seconds of his behavior in a video).

Trent Nix
Last edited by: trentnix: Dec 9, 19 12:53
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
is that this act, bad as it was, wrong as it was, will certainly cause this man a lot more grief than that same act would have caused him absent a TV camera capturing the moment. the act carries a consequence, and rightly so. but the consequence to this man will be greater in proportion to the act because this is what happens when the act itself is magnified by today's media (TV, social media, and the like).

This guy did this knowing he was on live television. I don't think he has much room to complain about the publicity of it. If this were in the 80's, when basically everyone watched the local news in the evening, even more people in his community might know about it rather than it being one of 6 million outrageous things on twitter that day.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
RowToTri wrote:
Acceptance of the kind of behavior in this video is part of the reason some men feel empowered to go even further. And it's the terrible experiences that many women have had in the past that make this kind of aggression much worse for them than it may seem on the surface to many men.
The butt-slapper must be crucified or he's going to be a rapist. Or, at least, someone else will.

Is that what you're really saying? Because that's how it reads.

I'd like to assume better of you, but you've already insinuated he's a danger to children (and all after observing three seconds of his behavior in a video).

No. I'm saying that the butt slapping in and of itself is worse than it may seem to us men who do not have the terrible experiences that so many women have.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
The tyranny you’re referring to is the right of women to have exclusive control over their own bodies?

Is that your point?
The tyranny of those who have decided that inappropriate should mean illegal.

If the butt-slapper was a girl and the reporter was a dude, this wouldn't even be a thing even though it is equally inappropriate.

Reminds me of the three female hosts of The Today Show thinking it was just fine to grope the Tongan Olympian in Rio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PV9G3X5gAA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think there a few points being made:

one his act deserves to be punished

we have seen examples where the law does crazy thins eg going to the toilet while on a bike ride

where are we going with this. Playing basketball in 90's got to free throw line team veteran pats my bottom, stop game call cops have him arrested.

https://www.theguardian.com/...rgebush.olympics2008

Beach players pat bums after a good point or even bad one. Are we going to post feeds from games and have same outrage.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:
Think there a few points being made:

one his act deserves to be punished

we have seen examples where the law does crazy thins eg going to the toilet while on a bike ride

where are we going with this. Playing basketball in 90's got to free throw line team veteran pats my bottom, stop game call cops have him arrested.

https://www.theguardian.com/...rgebush.olympics2008

Beach players pat bums after a good point or even bad one. Are we going to post feeds from games and have same outrage.

I'm confused, are you comparing this to a situation where a woman asks a man to pat her on the bottom?

And for teammates who know eachother playing a game together, that would generally be a different situation because you would know ahead of time that the contact is welcome.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no.

I'm highlighting the fact you don't know the teamate will consent in the beach game. I did not consent to being patted on rump in b ball.

no please be consistent and start a thread to track down that other player,I can name him and you can all shame him.
Quote Reply

Prev Next