Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
domingjm wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
Man, this thread is going off in some radical directions. Hands chopped off, 80s cigar-smoking arse whacking sentimentality, moral outrage, casual apathy. All the bases are covered, good work ST.

To lighten the mood, can I point out the following two excellent pieces of (ostensibly) accidental wordplay;

PJC wrote:
But charging him for assault is a bot over the top

Calamityjane88 wrote:
What a bummer for her

To unlighten the mood, for me, if the assaultee finds the assault to be sexual, then it is probably sexual. The difference in opinion between the assaulter and the assaultee is something for the judge to untangle, but if you put your hands on somebody without their permission then your fate is in their hands. The modern-thinking way to go about your business is to understand that somebody else's view may not be your own and, as such, it is probably not a good idea to smack a young woman* on the arse. As if that had to be said out loud.

*or a woman of any age, or any person for that matter. Seriously, just keep your hands to yourself and everything will be ok.

To those who find it a mild and unsexual thing to pat an unfamiliar young woman on the arse - it isn't up to you. It is up to the owner of the arse.

Cheers, Rich.

I understand that we all love to bicker and disagree about things on this forum, but I can't for the life of me understand how this doesn't settle the matter conclusively, here and now. Is it even philosophically possible to debate this perspective?

Of course it’s possible. Georgia appears to define sexual battery as intentionally making contact with the intimate body parts of another without that persons consent. Intimate body parts including genitals, anus, inner thighs, breasts of a woman and buttocks.

This act would appear to meet those elements.

However, in other jurisdictions that would not be the case. As an example, KS also has a sexual battery misdemeanor. It’s a misdemeanor, but is actually a good deal more serious than most misdemeanors as conviction requires registration.

That statute defines sexual battery as the touching of a victim who is not the spouse of the offender, who is 16 or more years of age and who does not consent thereto, with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the offender or another.

You will note that it is the intent of the defendant that matters and not the feelings of the victim. Proving intent of that nature can be difficult.

As it stands, since this happened in Georgia this guy has some real problems. If it happened at the Gobbler Grind here in KS, we tell the prosecutor to pound sand on his offer to plea as charged and go on the list, set it for jury trial and end up pleading to garden variety battery since the PA isn’t an idiot and realizes that he’s never going to convince all of the jurors beyond a reasonable doubt that this guy slapped a woman’s behind, in the middle of a race, to satisfy sexual desires.

What is or it isn’t sexual battery or sexual assault will vary state to state and sometimes by city. I’m not going to spend my evening doing a survey of all 50 states, but I’d be surprised if any that require a sexual intent consider the victim’s feelings on whether it was sexual to the victim.

I totally understand how that could be nuanced to demonstrate in the legal system. But I wasn't referring to legal definitions or even assault or battery as it relates to these situations. I was generally commenting on what should be prevailing ethical standards that we all agree with: 1) that you enjoy having your ass grabbed by strangers is not permission to do so yourself and 2) because you find nothing offensive about it does not mean that there is nothing offensive about it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The ironic thing, is that because of the excessive vitriol directed at this guy, he will soon become the victim. And by saying the vitriol is excessive doesn't mean I condone his actions, but there needs to be a cap on how much he is vilified.
Last edited by: zedzded: Dec 9, 19 22:10
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When are older white men going to finally get a break in this country?
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [anthonypat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
anthonypat wrote:

He would’ve gotten his break had he not grabbed her ass on TV. He could’ve gone home, spent time w the kids at his church and run any number of future races

Now, he has consequences (whatever they may be)
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mvenneta wrote:
anthonypat wrote:

He would’ve gotten his break had he not grabbed her ass on TV. He could’ve gone home, spent time w the kids at his church and run any number of future races

Now, he has consequences (whatever they may be)

Except thats not how it works in this country. There is a reason we dont let victims who are overrun by acute emotion decide the fate of their offender.

Im not saying he shouldnt answer for his actions. But there has to be an appropriate response. People fail to see how throwing gasoline on this fire from social media and the actual media (in how they report this) can have a negative effect on what they are trying to achieve.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
monty wrote:
Let's catch and prosecute the criminals, but not make crimes where there were none.
“There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.”
― Ayn Rand

wow, you are really taking a heel turn...

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
People fail to see how throwing gasoline on this fire from social media and the actual media (in how they report this) can have a negative effect on what they are trying to achieve.

he assaulted someone in front of a news camera in front of a news truck.

Nobody is trying to achieve anything. Any negative effect is your thinking making it so.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Yeeper wrote:
People fail to see how throwing gasoline on this fire from social media and the actual media (in how they report this) can have a negative effect on what they are trying to achieve.

Nobody is trying to achieve anything. Any negative effect is your thinking making it so.

See my post on page 5. If he is held to different standards by the same people who are vilifying him, and that causes him or his family to suffer unfair treatment, then that is a negative result in my book. For EVERYONE in this country. When we blatantly allow double standards and hypocrisy to affect outcomes of legal issues, it is a mockery. I'll say the same for any system we are talking about.

And we cannot act as if he punched her in the face or pinned her down and forced himself on her. Because we have other instances of that with reversed gender roles and people did nothing. So no, I am not ok with the ending most people here and out there are conjuring.

In my previous post's examples, I think those women should be reprimanded, and apologies are in order. But do I think they need to be treated the way this guy is? No. Plain and simple. Is that kind of discretion or equality really so hard to expect?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
ericMPro wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

See my post on page 5. If he is held to different standards by the same people who are vilifying him, and that causes him or his family to suffer unfair treatment, then that is a negative result in my book. For EVERYONE in this country. When we blatantly allow double standards and hypocrisy to affect outcomes of legal issues, it is a mockery. I'll say the same for any system we are talking about.

And we cannot act as if he punched her in the face or pinned her down and forced himself on her. Because we have other instances of that with reversed gender roles and people did nothing. So no, I am not ok with the ending most people here and out there are conjuring.

In my previous post's examples, I think those women should be reprimanded, and apologies are in order. But do I think they need to be treated the way this guy is? No. Plain and simple. Is that kind of discretion or equality really so hard to expect?

I disagree with the construct of your argument... "held to different standards", "unfair treatment", etc. Nothing is happening. It's just people talking on the internet. No standards have changed, nobody has been treated unfairly. Nobody is acting like he "punched her in the face, pinned her down", all you're doing there is exposing your personal view of what's OK and what's not OK. Maybe you need to recalibrate your own moral compass and not everyone else.

Also, "double standards". There are all kinds of "double standards" in the law, because we have protected classes and predator classes. There's probably a reason, and I'm not saying what you're saying is correct, but if there are double standards there's probably a reason why attacks on women are viewed the way they are. I'm going to guess it has something to do with the way women have been treated historically.

make sense?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
The tyranny you’re referring to is the right of women to have exclusive control over their own bodies?

Is that your point?
The tyranny of those who have decided that inappropriate should mean illegal.

If the butt-slapper was a girl and the reporter was a dude, this wouldn't even be a thing even though it is equally inappropriate.

Reminds me of the three female hosts of The Today Show thinking it was just fine to grope the Tongan Olympian in Rio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PV9G3X5gAA

What the guy did was absolutely wrong. I don't think many men will disagree.

But its hard to understand the vitriol when:

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Didnt quote you just for easier reading in the thread.

For the record, Im talking about what the internet mobs are doing, not the actual courts because no legal action has been taken yet. And Im addressing all of the ST posts acting as if he has punched her or raped her. One poster said he would cut his hands off. Now do you see how people get a bit excessive once emotions take over?

Yes it makes sense why you think that is excusable. But no, that is not a world I am OK living in. I am not ok with walking down the street having to accept that a woman can do things to me and it be ok because of #history.

We live in the now. And when you're dealing with morals, there is no superiority. Its either viewed as wrong or its not. Society either accepts it or it doesnt. And this matters A LOT because friends and families of offenders become victims. Children, spouses, etc. Offenders need to understand their actions have consequences, just as angry mobs need to understand their actions can have consequences too if their anger is not controlled.

Protected classes exists in legal systems to ensure fair treatment and to deter hate crimes. And our system has shown that not all crimes against those classes are hate crimes. The same way not every instance of physical unwarranted touching is sexual assault, or deserving of levels of retribution called for on this thread or in the interwebs.

Hypocrisy in society creates for poor company and when you create classes of moral acceptability, then that is a far cry from achieving the equality and peace most of us are hoping for.

Make sense?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I completely understand your concern for internet mobs and vigilante justice.

Are the internet mobs actually doing anything? I’m not following this story except here on ST. I read a CNN article yesterday that said the police are leaving it up to the reporter to decide whether she will press charges. There was no word from her.

Are you concerned that our discussion here has an impact on internet mobs?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:

For the record, Im talking about what the internet mobs are doing, not the actual courts because no legal action has been taken yet. And Im addressing all of the ST posts acting as if he has punched her or raped her. One poster said he would cut his hands off. Now do you see how people get a bit excessive once emotions take over?

Make sense?

nobody is doing this. there are no mobs. no hands were cut off.

No

Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
domingjm wrote:
chriskal wrote:
domingjm wrote:
knighty76 wrote:
Man, this thread is going off in some radical directions. Hands chopped off, 80s cigar-smoking arse whacking sentimentality, moral outrage, casual apathy. All the bases are covered, good work ST.

To lighten the mood, can I point out the following two excellent pieces of (ostensibly) accidental wordplay;

PJC wrote:

Calamityjane88 wrote:
What a bummer for her

To unlighten the mood, for me, if the assaultee finds the assault to be sexual, then it is probably sexual. The difference in opinion between the assaulter and the assaultee is something for the judge to untangle, but if you put your hands on somebody without their permission then your fate is in their hands. The modern-thinking way to go about your business is to understand that somebody else's view may not be your own and, as such, it is probably not a good idea to smack a young woman* on the arse. As if that had to be said out loud.

*or a woman of any age, or any person for that matter. Seriously, just keep your hands to yourself and everything will be ok.

To those who find it a mild and unsexual thing to pat an unfamiliar young woman on the arse - it isn't up to you. It is up to the owner of the arse.

Cheers, Rich.

I understand that we all love to bicker and disagree about things on this forum, but I can't for the life of me understand how this doesn't settle the matter conclusively, here and now. Is it even philosophically possible to debate this perspective?

Of course it’s possible. Georgia appears to define sexual battery as intentionally making contact with the intimate body parts of another without that persons consent. Intimate body parts including genitals, anus, inner thighs, breasts of a woman and buttocks.

However, in other jurisdictions that would not be the case. As an example, KS also has a sexual battery misdemeanor. It’s a misdemeanor, but is actually a good deal more serious than most misdemeanors as conviction requires registration.

That statute defines sexual battery as the touching of a victim who is not the spouse of the offender, who is 16 or more years of age and who does not consent thereto, with the intent to arouse or satisfy the sexual desires of the offender or another.

You will note that it is the intent of the defendant that matters and not the feelings of the victim. Proving intent of that nature can be difficult.

As it stands, since this happened in Georgia this guy has some real problems. If it happened at the Gobbler Grind here in KS, we tell the prosecutor to pound sand on his offer to plea as charged and go on the list, set it for jury trial and end up pleading to garden variety battery since the PA isn’t an idiot and realizes that he’s never going to convince all of the jurors beyond a reasonable doubt that this guy slapped a woman’s behind, in the middle of a race, to satisfy sexual desires.

What is or it isn’t sexual battery or sexual assault will vary state to state and sometimes by city. I’m not going to spend my evening doing a survey of all 50 states, but I’d be surprised if any that require a sexual intent consider the victim’s feelings on whether it was sexual to the victim.

I totally understand how that could be nuanced to demonstrate in the legal system. But I wasn't referring to legal definitions or even assault or battery as it relates to these situations. I was generally commenting on what should be prevailing ethical standards that we all agree with: 1) that you enjoy having your ass grabbed by strangers is not permission to do so yourself and 2) because you find nothing offensive about it does not mean that there is nothing offensive about it.

I took your post be noting as some sort of uncontroverted fact that it is up to a victim to decide whether a battery or assault is sexual in nature. That was the perspective I interpreted from the post you quoted as philosophically undebatable .

My point was that not only is that absolutely debatable, but is by and large dead wrong. I’m not sure anyone is arguing that people shouldn’t keep their hands to themselves so if that was your point then I wasted 10 minutes typing last night.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeper wrote:
ThailandUltras wrote:
trentnix wrote:
Calamityjane88 wrote:
The tyranny you’re referring to is the right of women to have exclusive control over their own bodies?

Is that your point?
The tyranny of those who have decided that inappropriate should mean illegal.

If the butt-slapper was a girl and the reporter was a dude, this wouldn't even be a thing even though it is equally inappropriate.

Reminds me of the three female hosts of The Today Show thinking it was just fine to grope the Tongan Olympian in Rio..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PV9G3X5gAA

What the guy did was absolutely wrong. I don't think many men will disagree.

But its hard to understand the vitriol when:

- female news hosts literally rub oil on a mans chest and arms unexpectedly as he's trying to answer a question about being the the olympics opening ceremony. He was trying to answer as he was being taken advantage of.

- A male reporter's genitals are grabbed by a female in the crowd and he calls her out on it and she has zero remorse (cops are around), and nothing is done. No pitch forks and torches.

- Katy Perry tricks a male contestant into kissing her on the lips and steals his first kiss, a kiss he said he was reserving for his first relationship. She literally tricked him, and forced her lips on his as he tried to pull away. She kept her job by the way. No pitch forks and torches.

These are just a couple of examples from recent years. So its very difficult to understand how the public, and many females will drag this man across the coals for something that has previously been seen as acceptable behavior. Or at least seen as behavior that may not be acceptable but doesn't warrant any real repercussions.

The news is using the word "grope" when it certainly wasn't anything remotely close. The reporters rubbed oil repeatedly and grabbed the man's chest. A woman grabbed male genitals on camera and gloated about it. Katy Perry tricked a male to put her mouth on his. And then we have this runner who slapped a butt...but he is the predator we have to worry about. SMDH.

I want them all held accountable for their actions. But appropriately and fairly. Make the punishment fit the crime.

The argument that someone on "the other side" did something wrong so this person's wrong actions are therefore ok or ameliorated in some way is a bad one.

For sure someone else did something wrong in the past. For sure society has sometimes failed and let them get away with it. That does not mean we should now accept bad behavior by others. We should try to step up and not screw up again.

This same argument is being used in politics all the time now and it drives me nuts.

No this guy did not punch her in the face or rape her or anything like that. Yes the internet can get carried away over controversies like these. The guy is not Pol Pot. But he did slap the ass of a woman he does not know, while she is trying to do her job and he chose to do that on live television. Neither the internet nor double standards is not the reason this guy has to face his church and his family about this.

Edit: the idea that women are on "the other side" is another troubling subject.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Last edited by: RowToTri: Dec 10, 19 7:29
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy deserves whatever punishment he gets. What in the hell was he thinking? In my wildest most drunken state I have never decided to slap some girl on the ass and this guy was completely sober.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Excellent points. I can't believe people are blaming her. I don't care if she was standing in the middle of the runners. Under no concealable circumstance would it be okay for a guy to slap a girls ass. I don't think this guy deserves to go to prison but he definetly needs a very stiff punishment. Anyone saying she deserves that because she was too close or impeding runners hearkens back to the days of "she asked for it" or "she wanted it because of her low cut top"
ChrisM wrote:
hadukla wrote:
PJC wrote:
But charging him for assault is a bot over the top.

No. It is not.

PJC wrote:

I haven't read the previous 6 pages but she wasn't doing the race and shouldnt have been on the course.

Ok, fair point. That still doesn't mean he should get off with anything less than a court visit.

So...,. in other words.... "she asked for it"

"she shouldn't have been drunk in that bar"

"she shouldn't have worn that provocative outfit"

I thought we were over the days of blaming women for the way men act... Yes, you do acknowledge the need for punishment, but how on earth is her being in that physical location a "fair point" in any sense of those words?
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [chriskal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chriskal wrote:
domingjm wrote:
chriskal wrote:
domingjm wrote:
knighty76 wrote:

PJC wrote:

Calamityjane88 wrote:
What a bummer for her

Cheers, Rich.

I took your post be noting as some sort of uncontroverted fact that it is up to a victim to decide whether a battery or assault is sexual in nature. That was the perspective I interpreted from the post you quoted as philosophically undebatable .

My point was that not only is that absolutely debatable, but is by and large dead wrong. I’m not sure anyone is arguing that people shouldn’t keep their hands to themselves so if that was your point then I wasted 10 minutes typing last night.

Definitely not. They can certainly call it whatever they want, but clearly the judicial system will determine how the incident will be defined and whether or not it's even a crime to begin with. We're on the same page.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Make sense?

No

Its starting. Apparently multiple forums are on this. News outlets already using inflammatory and embellished headlines. Am I concerned with that? Yes. Can that snowball into more if unchecked? Also yes. So THATS where I get concerned. Its happened in the past, and then history repeats itself because its allowed to continue.

Ever hear of nipping it in the bud? Or why dont you tell me where the arbitrary line of getting concerned is.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Calamityjane88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Calamityjane88 wrote:
I completely understand your concern for internet mobs and vigilante justice.

Are the internet mobs actually doing anything? I’m not following this story except here on ST. I read a CNN article yesterday that said the police are leaving it up to the reporter to decide whether she will press charges. There was no word from her.

Are you concerned that our discussion here has an impact on internet mobs?

And here are her words, spoken today on CBS:

"He took my power, and I'm trying to take that back," Bozarjian said Tuesday on "CBS This Morning," adding, "I think what it really comes down to is that he helped himself to a part of my body."

https://apple.news/AjeEEjtVgTUqDMW09kEYKrw

https://www.cbsnews.com/...?ftag=CNM-00-10aac3a

Since a police report has been formally filed, the Savannah prosecutor may be announcing charges soon. I will follow up.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Last edited by: SallyShortyPnts: Dec 10, 19 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh I agree, he SHOULD have to face his demons. And it is terrible he did this. I just wish people could keep some composure with addressing these issues. We already know the internet gets out of hand. I just dont want internet warriors tracking down his wife or kids or anyone else and attacking them. And that had also happened so its a real possibility.

I also apologize for not making it more clear. I dont think its ok that he did it. But the same people who had no issue with the other examples are the ones vilifying him now for a lesser offense. I think they should ALL be held to standards.

Im not saying its ok because they didnt react to the other examples. Im saying its stupid that theyre getting so bent out of shape now when they didnt before. Theyre all bad and all deserve to be held accountable.

Im not excusing any of them. Sorry if that wasnt clear.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
And here are her words, spoken today on CBS:

"He took my power, and I'm trying to take that back," Bozarjian said Tuesday on "CBS This Morning," adding, "I think what it really comes down to is that he helped himself to a part of my body."
What an interesting choice of words.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Make sense?

No

So things have never escalated? Does that mean we just accept the poor behaviour from a smaller contingent? Pretty sure thats exactly what we're trying to stop with this guy. Even thought its a tap on the ass, its unacceptable behavior that needs to be curbed before he thinks its ok to move on to bigger offenses. Same rules apply yaknow.

Why is that so hard to understand?
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think where a lot of men don't see this as much of a problem as it is because they haven't experienced it or know what it feels like. What if you were at work and a man 100lbs bigger than you came up and grabbed your junk in front of your coworkers and peers. Then laughed about it and walked off. How would that make you feel? You don't have a physical recourse they are much bigger and stronger, if nothing is done then he may feel thats ok and continue to do so. Would you be satisfied by just an apology knowing that it's likely insincere and he's probably going to go do it to another guy because there are no consequences?

For a long time people were allowed to do this with a slap on the wrist, if that, and guess what, nothing changed.

http://www.jennacaer.com
Instagram @jennacaer
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericMPro wrote:
Yeeper wrote:

Make sense?

No

I have 2 words for you. Frank Meza. The internet does get out of control on this type of stuff, and it leads to tragic consequences.
Quote Reply

Prev Next