Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [TJP_SBR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
bluemonkeytri wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:
stevie g wrote:
sounds like he may have consented, still she did approach him sexually during an event without seeking consent. Should at least be investigated.

What part of that sounded like it was consensual? She picked out a guy, ran up to him and kissed him.

Is this allowable because he apparently liked it? I don’t think that’s the standard we should be holding if we’re saying to everyone to keep their hands to themselves. Not to mention a mouth to mouth kiss is (to me anyway) a more “sexual” act than a slap on the butt as you’re running past.

Wellesley is where all the college kids came out and give/get kisses to runners all the time. It's called the Scream Tunnel. https://www.boston.com/...ollege-scream-tunnel

I understand the roles were reversed here, female runner giving male spectator kiss, but shit it's going on all over the place at that point in the race.

I don’t think you can say in one breath “not acceptable, ever! Be better!” And then in the same breath “...but this happened around the Scream Tunnel, and it gets crazy there. So it’s kind of to be expected.”

Not singling “YOU” our specifically, just a general commentary.

Where do I say that about that kiss?

What did you mean by “shit it's going on all over the place at that point in the race.“?

Runners kissing spectators is happening all the time in the Scream Tunnel. I never said the kiss was not acceptable.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [bluemonkeytri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For all who wondered "What if it was a guy slapping another guy's butt?"

Here ya go

https://www.espn.com/...wns-odell-beckham-jr

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
For all who wondered "What if it was a guy slapping another guy's butt?"

Here ya go

https://www.espn.com/...wns-odell-beckham-jr

So...no sexual assault charges?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No sexual assault charge. The cop dropped his charge. The DA is not pursuing charges.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This seems like a good spot to remember the first response on this thread:
Quote:
And [bad guy] has been charged with a richly deserved assault charge.
I guess hearing that the President can “grab ‘em by the pussy” gave Mr. [jerk] permission to “swat her in the ass”.

My sincere hope is that this does not turn out well for him.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
And [bad guy] has been charged with a richly deserved assault charge.

I guess hearing that the President can “grab ‘em by the pussy” gave Mr. [jerk] permission to “swat her in the ass”.

My sincere hope is that this does not turn out well for him.
The guy behaved like an ignorant, disrespectful, fool. No argument there.
Should this sort of action be criminalised? Perhaps. I'm not going to get into discussing that, its peripheral to my points.

Point 1: Labelling someone a "bad guy" is unwise. It plays into the illusion that things are black and white. This idea should never make it past children's stories. In fact it shouldn't exist there either since most people seem unable to move past it. Grown-ups SHOULD know better, but often don't. It's rather worrying and telling that the US president regularly dumbs his messages down to literally labelling people "good guys" and "bad guys". In fact it's not just worrying, it's frankly terrifying. It's how mob rule is perpetrated and the guy doesn't even need to disguise it.

People do foolish, dangerous, harmful, ignorant, selfish, or offensive stuff. The same people often do kind, helpful, generous, selfless, and caring stuff. The fiction is that people are good or bad - they are neither. They are people and they do things that are have both positive and negative impact on the common good.
The good guys and bad guys fiction creates the biggest offences against humanity, beyond the topic of this thread. Where do you think terrorism, ethnic cleansing and any number of other atrocities comes from? It's typically the result of believing there are two clearly defined sides, and that it's reasonable to pick one. I submit that there are very few people who want to be "evil" or who think it's great to be a "bad guy" - maybe just a handful of pathetic wannabe gangsters. As the saying goes, "One man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." We have different ideas about what's good or bad. If the belief is sincere, the person isn't "bad", the idea is. The best way to eliminate conflict, is to eliminate the fiction of good guys and bad guys. That doesn't mean you have to condone whatever someone does, just that you at least try, not to oversimplify it.

Point 2: When you say you hope it does not turn out well for him, what do you mean? Are you saying his pain and suffering is a good thing? That's horrible! His suffering isn't going to help anyone. It'll just make the world that little bit worse. It may well just make him bitter and lead to further negativity to others later. Revenge isn't justice. Revenge isn't good. Hoping for his unhappiness, if that was your meaning, is evil pretty much by definition, and worse than his actions ever were (in my most humble opinion).

Punishments are only justifiable where the punishment has an effective and necessary deterrent function, either to the individual concerned or society as a whole. Some level of punishment may be appropriate here. And a sincere public apology is certainly warranted. I don't see why he should lose his job unless there was some specific intolerable link between this action and his occupation. What he did was wrong and disgusting, but there are degrees of severity and I think this falls short of deserving incarceration or arbitrary loss of employment. Loss of respect and trust? - Yes.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty much agree with your last post.

Long for the days, when/if someone had a dumbass attack one could then crawl under a rock, apologize and then live down the shame they brought upon themselves without strangers piling on.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
No sexual assault charge. The cop dropped his charge. The DA is not pursuing charges.

I wonder what strings were pulled for charge to be dropped.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I don't see why he should lose his job unless there was some specific intolerable link between this action and his occupation. What he did was wrong and disgusting, but there are degrees of severity and I think this falls short of deserving incarceration or arbitrary loss of employment. Loss of respect and trust? - Yes.

Beauty of US's work at will prevalence along with companies now using 'reputation risk' as a termination reason. If I was a woman that this guy worked with, I would certainly feel less safe around him.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
I don't see why he should lose his job unless there was some specific intolerable link between this action and his occupation. What he did was wrong and disgusting, but there are degrees of severity and I think this falls short of deserving incarceration or arbitrary loss of employment. Loss of respect and trust? - Yes.

Beauty of US's work at will prevalence along with companies now using 'reputation risk' as a termination reason. If I was a woman that this guy worked with, I would certainly feel less safe around him.
You'll have to explain to me what that means, and why it's beautiful. I have no idea what "work at will prevalence" is. I don't live or work in the US. However, from what I do know of US worker rights, I'm happy to have nothing to do with them! You appear to have very weak workers rights compared to any other developed country I'm familiar with. I doubt reputation risk would hold water as a valid termination excuse anywhere in the EU unless the individual was employed as a public representative of the company. Things might be different if a criminal case had been prosecuted successfully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
If I was a woman that this guy worked with, I would certainly feel less safe around him.

It's very simple. Can you allow your daughter or kids to have a sleepover at his house with his kids? Can you leave your kids under his supervision? If your answer is yes, something's wrong with you. Ha!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

You'll have to explain to me what that means, and why it's beautiful. I have no idea what "work at will prevalence" is. I don't live or work in the US. However, from what I do know of US worker rights, I'm happy to have nothing to do with them! You appear to have very weak workers rights compared to any other developed country I'm familiar with. I doubt reputation risk would hold water as a valid termination excuse anywhere in the EU unless the individual was employed as a public representative of the company. Things might be different if a criminal case had been prosecuted successfully.

Ah my bad, in the US, our companies make the laws so they allow employment as "work-at-will" which basically allows both the employee to leave whenever they want for whatever reason they want trading for the companies' right to terminate employment at any time for any reason. Great trade huh? The only thing that us protected is discrimination which is why we have so many lawsuits around termination. I said what I said because this case was in the US but obviously if this happened in Europe, I wouldn't know what is allowed in terms of employment.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:

Let's not confuse two separate incidents. The cop/security guard dropped the charge he brought against Odell Beckham, Jr. regarding the butt slap at the LSU v Clemson game, but I couldn't find any source stating that the reporter covering the Savannah Bridge Run has dropped her complaint resulting from the butt slap by a runner during that race or that the sexual battery charge made by the Savannah Police Dept. against the runner is no longer being investigated.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Jan 21, 20 9:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
If I was a woman that this guy worked with, I would certainly feel less safe around him.
Unlike you, I think most women are strong enough, capable enough, and confident enough to communicate and enforce appropriate boundaries so they can work with all sorts of people.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
hadukla wrote:
Unlike you, I think most women are strong enough, capable enough, and confident enough to communicate and enforce appropriate boundaries so they can work with all sorts of people.

It should never be up to employees to have to set boundaries for coworkers who are convicted criminals. Whether it's a woman working with a man who assaulted a news reporter or if it is a man working with someone convicted of a hate crime against whatever that man is or stands for. Appreciate your attack but this has nothing to do with the strength of employees, it is about an employer's responsibility to provide a safe working environment.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So now the guy is unemployable. Got it.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
trentnix wrote:
hadukla wrote:

It should never be up to employees to have to set boundaries for coworkers who are convicted criminals. Whether it's a woman working with a man who assaulted a news reporter or if it is a man working with someone convicted of a hate crime against whatever that man is or stands for. Appreciate your attack but this has nothing to do with the strength of employees, it is about an employer's responsibility to provide a safe working environment.
This really does sound like you're saying that once someone has been convicted of a crime, no-one should have be to associate with them ever again. Do they become untouchables? Ultimate zero tolerance culture?
Surely any crime that made them that much of a danger to society, would, on conviction, see the public protected via the legal system. Do you really think an employer is responsible or entitled, to take further measures after the state has been satisfied?
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

Let's not confuse two separate incidents. The cop/security guard dropped the charge he brought against Odell Beckham, Jr. regarding the butt slap at the LSU v Clemson game, but I couldn't find any source stating that the reporter covering the Savannah Bridge Run has dropped her complaint resulting from the butt slap by a runner during that race or that the sexual battery charge made by the Savannah Police Dept. against the runner is no longer being investigated.

I didn’t think it was confusing...I was taking about Odell Beckham. I said “the cop dropped the assault charge.” The OBJ case was the only incident where a cop had a charge to drop. In the first incident, she filed charges and hired Gloria Allred to represent her. I wasn’t trying to conflate the two. Sorry.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gloria Allred? What a clown show. I now loathe everyone involved in this thing.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
Gloria Allred? What a clown show. I now loathe everyone involved in this thing.

Of course. A crime of this magnitude deserves the best in celebrity attorney representation

In a statement e-mailed Saturday morning, Bozarjian’s attorney Gloria Allred said:

Alex Bozarjian is glad that law enforcement is taking this matter seriously. She feels that a reporter should be able to do her job without being assaulted. Alex wants to thank the members of the public who have reached out to her to offer support. If this case goes to trial, she will be a witness. For that reason, she will have no further comment until the case concludes, but she does hope that there will be a just result.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TJP_SBR wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
TJP_SBR wrote:

I didn’t think it was confusing...I was taking about Odell Beckham. I said “the cop dropped the assault charge.” The OBJ case was the only incident where a cop had a charge to drop. In the first incident, she filed charges and hired Gloria Allred to represent her. I wasn’t trying to conflate the two. Sorry.

No need to apologize. I didn't think you were trying to do that, but it appeared that other commenters after your post may have been attempting to do that. I'm not a fan of the reporter hiring Gloria Allred, but that doesn't excuse what the runner did.
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/01/georgia-runner-tommy-callaway-tv-reporter-butt-slap/

Quote:
44-year-old Callaway was ultimately hit with a charge of sexual battery ... and court records show he pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor count on Tuesday.

Per the records, Callaway was sentenced to 1 year of probation and also ordered to complete 200 hours of community service. Callaway was also hit with over $1,000 of fines and fees as well.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
https://www.tmz.com/2020/09/01/georgia-runner-tommy-callaway-tv-reporter-butt-slap/

Quote:
44-year-old Callaway was ultimately hit with a charge of sexual battery ... and court records show he pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor count on Tuesday.

Per the records, Callaway was sentenced to 1 year of probation and also ordered to complete 200 hours of community service. Callaway was also hit with over $1,000 of fines and fees as well.

No words for the ridiculousness of this
Quote Reply
Re: Twitter twitch hunt finds its man [TruffleShuffle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TruffleShuffle wrote:
RandMart wrote:

Quote:

No words for the ridiculousness of this

Agreed. That's a light penalty. It should have been all of that plus a week in lockup.
Quote Reply

Prev Next