Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [srev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srev wrote:
Anyone having front derailleur problems? I have an IA10 set up with ult di2 and my front derailleur has been requiring frequent tweaks to stop the cage from rubbing on the chain. My LBS thinks that the front derailleur hanger isn't strong enough to handle my torque (humble brag) and is flexing or bending. Anyone else? Just reached out to Felt...we'll see what they say.

Well the front derailer dosent see that much torque. Tell that to the LBS.
Tell him to check your BB bearings. If those are bad your entire chainring will move and youll get the rubbing on FD.
Atleast thats the reason my chain was rubbing.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [[Nor]mann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[Nor wrote:
mann]
srev wrote:
Anyone having front derailleur problems? I have an IA10 set up with ult di2 and my front derailleur has been requiring frequent tweaks to stop the cage from rubbing on the chain. My LBS thinks that the front derailleur hanger isn't strong enough to handle my torque (humble brag) and is flexing or bending. Anyone else? Just reached out to Felt...we'll see what they say.

Well the front derailer dosent see that much torque. Tell that to the LBS.
Tell him to check your BB bearings. If those are bad your entire chainring will move and youll get the rubbing on FD.
Atleast thats the reason my chain was rubbing.

Or if the LBS never tightened the crank when they built the bike. Easy for them to blame the bearings and charge when all they have to do is tighten the crank.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [srev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would this have anything to do with Felt? The front derailleur is Shimano. I've had one since February and not had a single front derailleur shift issue in all my training and racing. The bottom bracket is the stiffest thing I've ever ridden. What chainrings are you using? I'd look there for flex first.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Has anyone seen anything like this on your Felt IA 10, IA 14, or IA 16?

This is a broken stem bracket-- the bracket on the back side of the stem that secures the stem to the steer tube. It spontaneously broke during my last race, and I discovered the loose stem & handlebars after the race.

I had a similar issue on my IA16. I noticed it when I got home the day I picked up the bike brand new from the shop back in May. I only noticed it because I was playing around with the cal pack and didn't notice a loose stem or handlebars. I'm assuming with a few rides it would have loosened up. Fortunately I found out it before that happened. The shop ordered a replacement and sent the broken piece back to Felt. Felt said they didn't hear of any other occurrences. So far it's been ok with about 500 miles of riding on it.
Last edited by: rodr55: Aug 24, 16 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [rodr55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yowser. Felt has officially heard of two cases now. I think it is a design issue. They should not have hollowed-out the center of the bracket and left that thin band of metal across the top. I would buy the Dagger stem, but I can think of a lot of better ways to spend $250.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two cool pictures from this weekend's race:

Here he comes;

There he goes;

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have there been any updates on Felt fixing the calpac? How about a draft box?
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [dhr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know if you have followed this thread, but either the Trek Draft Box or the QR Qbox will work. Qbox looks better to me. I ordered a 56 Qbox for my size 56 IA but it was a little too tall. I sent it back for a 54 and that should be good. The Calpak, well it looks like it is what it is.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great lookin rig!
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [tickyboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone figured out a way to get a draft box to fit on an IA 4? (Or one that doesnt have the bottle bosses)

Insta: Trihennessy - Out Rival Racing Elite Team
- Roka - WattieInk - NormaTec - QUINTANA ROO - Profile Design - Pioneer - Gatorade Endurance
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Don't know if you have followed this thread, but either the Trek Draft Box or the QR Qbox will work. Qbox looks better to me. I ordered a 56 Qbox for my size 56 IA but it was a little too tall. I sent it back for a 54 and that should be good. The Calpak, well it looks like it is what it is.

I have followed. I have been hoping for something designed for the IA.

I'm in no hurry, but these two things have been preventing me from buying this bike. I'm kind of sick of half-ass solutions to bad design.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just got this back from Felt after submitting a "contact us" form a couple different times:

"
I checked at they will come on some bike by next summer and not confirmed when they will be available aftermarket. Still not close to being done.
Curious, has someone talked about this part or because of the mounts you knew something was coming?

Thanks,
Alan Foster - Felt Bicycles
Consumer Relations
"

A - Not sure why it would take so long
B - "Not confirmed for aftermarket availability"?? So they'll sell us the bikes now, but not the parts later?
C - The question at the end seems odd. Did they think that them making a box similar to Trek and QR would be some sort of top secret mission that no one would see coming?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dhr wrote:

I have followed. I have been hoping for something designed for the IA.

I'm in no hurry, but these two things have been preventing me from buying this bike. I'm kind of sick of half-ass solutions to bad design.

This is exactly why I wouldn't buy the IA. I pulled an IA14 off the rack at my shop the other night to look at it closer. I just don't see why Felt would release a bike with no accessories to go with it. If Trek and Specialized can do it, Felt needs to do it too. The budgets of the larger companies may be bigger, but at the prices of these bikes, people are expecting more.

The new QR PR3 has a draft box and it's $2500. Cervelo assumed that XLAB or another company would create a box for the bottom bracket area. It never happened. If Felt is assuming someone will create draft boxes, it won't happen. What's hilarious is seeing a Dark Speed Works or XLAB bag strapped on over the Calpac to attempt to fix a design flaw.

I expect more from bike companies for the prices we pay.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Aug 26, 16 20:06
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Recommendations on replacement brakes for the IA16? Front seems OK, but the rear is super mushy.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [andrewjshults] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did a total brake system replacement on my IA 16, and I love it. I installed Tririg Omega X front and rear: front for the aerodynamic advantage, and rear for the center pull and mechanical leverage. I also installed new brake cables and Shimano brake levers. I would do it again in an instant. Here is my post with a few more comments...

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ost=5934553#p5934553
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Shimano 105 direct mount rear brake works good on my IA10.

After aero testing I swapped out my vision tri max for a tririg omega X in the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriRig Omega front. Check out the aero testing from Ero Sports. It's a big saving and the brake is a work of mechanical art. There is nothing wrong with the rear brake. If it feels mushy, there is probably too much slack in the cable or too much clearance on the pads. People have been complaining about these under the BB brakes since they came out. 99.9% of the time the problem is in the set up.

Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I finally did a race where the IA shined and I could experience its speed. I won my 50-54 age group in a sprint with 224 finishers. I posted the 15th fastest bike, and I am a little disappointed with the bike time. But, I am not that disappointed, because I just started riding in December (8 months ago), so I am only getting started. The IA is making me look faster than I deserve.

I am still frustrated with my speed vs. power that I am laying down, but I think it may be a weight issue. I averaged 247W (261 NP) on the ~13 mile bike for just 22.2 MPH. It seems like I should have been well north of 23 MPH with that power output. The course was a little bit hilly, with about a 250' drop for the first 5 miles and then a 250' climb over the next 6 miles back. Still, it could be that I am just heavy (84 kg) or not aero. I need some good race profile pictures to look at and judge my position...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
''The IA is making me look faster than I deserve. ''

Me too. I'm an old man and I am just killing it thanks to the IA.

I feel like my speed is much higher than I deserve for the watts I put out. Don't worry about it. You got 15th best bike split and 1st in your age group, Congratulations

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have the IA16 so the rear brake is a tektro not the 105 - more likely issue is that I realized the shop didn't run the rear cable through the stem + there's a lot of extra housing (in general the cabling leaves something to be desired - RD cable also has a ton of slack stuffed in the frame). Will get all that cleaned up and reevaluate the rear brake performance.

Is anyone with a 58 frame running a qbox? Eric over at tri sports was able to give me dimensions of the 56 and 58 boxes so I've got a general idea, but would be great to see photos (all the ones I've seen seem to be for the smaller frames).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a size 56 IA. I ordered a 56 QRbox and it was a little too tall. I sent it back for a 54 but haven't gotten it back yet. 54 should be just right for me.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dont be surprised if its still way too big. I bought a 48 Qbox for my 54 IA10 and it actually fits well (the 54 was about 2cm too tall to mount), I just think the mounting is too weak to run that box there as its not designed for those posts.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you think the SC draft box is a better bet (not felt specific, but believe it's designed for similar back bosses). Any chance you could measure your size 48 box (similar to the measurements attached)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an SC draft box as well. I use it for training currently as it attaches much better than the Qbox does. Its wider than the frame and Qbox and sits slightly above the top tube. For training its fine but I dont race with it on there.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA - IA 10, 14, 16 [TPerkin2000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am starting to build up an IA16 frameset from scratch and had a couple of quick questions for anyone that has installed the TriRig Alpha X on an IAx. Would save me a bit of time:

1. Did you have to use any of the TriRig micro shims under the TriRig ultra-low dust cap to eliminate any play in the fork, or did it work with just the ultra-low dust cap? I couldn't tell from Nick's IA10 review up on TriRig if he used the micro shims, but clearly the ultra-low dust cap works well with the pre-cut forks.

2. Which headset screw did you use? The TriRig version that comes with the Alpha X is definitely longer than the original version that comes with the IA. In looking at Nick's review, his headset bolt is clearly silver (and FWIW the Felt version is black with Felt logoing). I presume Nick used the longer TriRig bolt, but that sure does seem long for the headset assembly on this bike. Would be curious what others did.

Thanks! Very excited to have scored just a IA10 frame and fork, so I didn't have to part everything out and I can build this up. (I just liked the colors of the IA10 more than the IA16.... that is just personal preference).
Quote Reply

Prev Next