Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: The New Felt IA [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh yeah!
I did see that picture before but I'd forgotten about it. I'm pretty sure it was never released though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They really need to take a cue from Trek and Bontrager.

The bento , rear box, and down tube box shouldn't that big of a challenge to produce, especially if you have the molds from making them for your pros.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty sure the reason being it wasn't made public was because it was size specific for Rinny.

The current calpac is a one size fits all mold. To go into the frame, they would need to be more detailed and make specific per size and that would add up in plastic injection molds as well as high MOQ production.

Just a thought.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [blackadder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blackadder wrote:

The bento , rear box, and down tube box shouldn't that big of a challenge to produce, especially if you have the molds from making them for your pros.....

What he said! ^^
Injection and blow-formed tooling aint cheap!

-SD
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
blackadder wrote:

What he said! ^^

-SD

I understand that it's expensive. Selling people bikes that have mounts for new parts and then not creating those parts resulting in frustrated customers and lost sales is not cheap either :)

A Felt IA should not have a Trek Draftbox on it. It should have a Felt box or possibly an XLAB one if they would make one. We all learned how that works when no one made anything for the P2/P3/P5 bottom bracket mount.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my knowledge, a lot of these are billed as "If we create it, they will come" mentality and leave the development and tooling costs to an aftermarket producer. This was the case for the Cervelo. Torhans had a design ready to go and the business dealings seemed to keep it from production.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
blackadder wrote:

What he said! ^^

-SD

I understand that it's expensive. Selling people bikes that have mounts for new parts and then not creating those parts resulting in frustrated customers and lost sales is not cheap either :)
A Felt IA should not have a Trek Draftbox on it. It should have a Felt box or possibly an XLAB one if they would make one. We all learned how that works when no one made anything for the P2/P3/P5 bottom bracket mount.

I'm really not here to defend the accessory options. It is a losing proposition from a profit standpoint, however. I'll assume when it is profitable for someone to make something, it'll get made.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
IA10 framesets come with the fork uncut.

-SD

Just a word of caution to anyone who's relying on this to be true --- the framesets are coming with the fork pre-cut. You can't put an aftermarket stem on there unless it's got an unusually short clamping area.
Last edited by: Prof Fate: Jun 15, 16 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Prof Fate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Prof Fate wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

Just a word of caution to anyone who's relying on this to be true --- the framesets are coming with the fork pre-cut. You can't put an aftermarket stem on there unless it's got an unusually short clamping area.

Good to know. I assume that uncut forks will be the norm and that uncut forks are in the customer service catalog for parts but I'm a bit out of the loop.

-SD

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
Prof Fate wrote:
SuperDave wrote:

-SD

Good to know. I assume that uncut forks will be the norm and that uncut forks are in the customer service catalog for parts but I'm a bit out of the loop.

-SD
I don't know what "in the catalog" means exactly, but there are no uncut forks available until September.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do like that they sorta future proofed the bike with the bosses for use if / when someone does eventually come out with something.

On the other hand, as super bike as it is , it isn't entirely practical for long course races unless you cobble up something on your own. Most folks are going to need some kind of flat repair and nutrition.

If they had no plans to do any follow up support they should have made the mounts a little more compatible with the Trek box etc.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody have recommendation for a rear brake? IA 14 came in today and LBS called saying the FSA is pretty lame and suggested I change it out.

I already had the Tririg Omega put on the front. So will the stock front-end Vision work on the rear? Or should I look for something else?

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I put an Omega X on the rear of mine. It is freakin' awesome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I put an Ultegra on the rear. It works better than stock but I may switch up to TriRig. There stuff looks top notch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
eecycleworks. expensive, but light, and set it and forget it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What specifically did they think was lame about the back brake?

The stock rear brake is not as tidy as I would like but functionally I've had no problems at all with mine. The Trimax front brake is excellent. The TriRig may be a little prettier up front but I doubt you're gaining much in either braking or aerodynamic performance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Adding a bit more to my initial reply...

The front brake is center mount and the rear brake is direct mount. So, you would need an adapter to use the Trimax brake in the back. I would not use that brake in back, because you really need the additional mechanical advantage of a dual-pivot direct mount brake or a well-designed center-pull brake. So, the Ultegra direct pull brake is pretty awesome for stopping power if you are looking for an economical solution.

The FSA Direct Aero Mount that is supposed to come on the IA 14 looks pretty awesome. I am also curious to know what the LBS does not like about it.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Adding a bit more to my initial reply...

The front brake is center mount and the rear brake is direct mount. So, you would need an adapter to use the Trimax brake in the back. I would not use that brake in back, because you really need the additional mechanical advantage of a dual-pivot direct mount brake or a well-designed center-pull brake. So, the Ultegra direct pull brake is pretty awesome for stopping power if you are looking for an economical solution.

The FSA Direct Aero Mount that is supposed to come on the IA 14 looks pretty awesome. I am also curious to know what the LBS does not like about it.
Actually now that I think about it, I don't think I have the FSA brake. Wasn't the IA14 initially shipped with a 105 brake in which case that's what I have and what I have no problems with. The FSA should be better again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
Anybody have recommendation for a rear brake? IA 14 came in today and LBS called saying the FSA is pretty lame and suggested I change it out.

I already had the Tririg Omega put on the front. So will the stock front-end Vision work on the rear? Or should I look for something else?

My IA16 came with the FSA rear brake and it has been excellent since March. All I have had to do is to take a little slack up after about a month. I haven't had to adjust anything. I have to suggest that you bike mechanic doesn't know how to set it up. There is nothing wrong or inferior about that rear brake.

About your front brake. My IA16 came with a standard dual pivot brake. I got the Vision Trimax brake from someone who ''upgraded'' to the Tririg brake for $20. According to Jim@Erosports who is doing all the testing and posts here, there is no advantage to that ''upgrade''. Desert Dude, has posted in this thread that he is looking for a Vision Trimax brake if you want to sell yours.

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. Thanks guys.

I'm going to stick with the FSA for now. If I find it to be a problem i'll swap it out.

I think the newest round of IA14s have switched from the 105s to the FSA.

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
My IA16 came with the FSA rear brake and it has been excellent since March. All I have had to do is to take a little slack up after about a month. I haven't had to adjust anything. I have to suggest that you bike mechanic doesn't know how to set it up. There is nothing wrong or inferior about that rear brake.

It seems that the components have been somewhat fluid on the IA. My IA 16 rear brake was a steaming turd Tekpro brake. It is made of weak metal that flexes. And, the cable enters from the side so it needs a noodle that extends outside of the bottom bracket and is kind of in the way. It was like the worst possible option for a bottom bracket brak. Just about any other side pull would have been a better choice.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Jun 18, 16 2:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is exactly what I had. Had a lot of flex and super squishy.

Also, when I hammered the brake as the cable tightened it seemed to destabilize/torque the orientation of the bike. It was a super weird sensation.

Some of that could have been LBS install?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really don't know which rear brake I have and the bike is at my other house, 150 miles away. As far as I know the IAxx only came with 2 different rear brakes, the Shimano and the Other, so maybe I'm wrong about the manufacturer. My rear brake has no issues at all. It's the rear brake, it really doesn't do a lot of stopping. I'd say that your problem is with installation, particularly the cable. Check for slack. Check to make sure that the brake is not opened too much. Finally, get some better brake pads if you want to.

If the brake feels mushy, it is the cable or adjustment. I really don't think anyone puts enough pressure into the rear brake to flex the brake arm

If you really want a Tririg brake down there, go ahead, but if it's not adjusted correctly it will feel the same way.

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the IA 10 and 14 may have had 2 different rear brakes (Shimano or FSA), and the 16 came with different brakes. From pictures I have seen it looked like the 16 may have had a tektro rear brake, i'm not sure what the current spec is and the website doesnt say.

The 105 rear brake on my IA10 works great. I just miss having a quick release for easier wheel changes. Because they work so well i'm hesitant to replace it. It looks like my options are an inline quick release, or Tektro, TRP, EE direct mount brakes that have quick releases.

The tririg is a good upgrade for the front, I aero tested it and it is faster than the Vision trimax brake. The downside is my wallet is a little lighter and now I don't have a quick release for the front brake.
Quote Reply
Re: The New Felt IA [j.shanney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back at house #1. I checked and I have the Tektro rear brake. When I commented to the bike mechanic about how well the rear brake worked, he said that he made sure there was no slack in the cable and that he put a lot of extra lube in the housing. The brake has been stellar.

People have been complaining about these under the BB brakes since they first appeared; 99.99% of the time it is set up.

What did your testing tell you about the Vision vs Tririg brakes?

Quote Reply

Prev Next