Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Taren [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

LOL ....time wil tell if the P5X is as great as the P4. Maybe you need to talk to some of the pros who were dropped by Cervelo last year. They all hated it and were outspoken about it. Most of them felt slow and had tons of issues with it. The P5 is a great bike and the best Tri bike of all time is the P3. Even today P3 is the best bike you can buy(value for $) whether you are a newbie or a Kona AG.

Re: Triathlon Taren [rwurbina] [ In reply to ]

I could have sworn I saw a tweet saying a cervelo athlete used their P5 for a more technical course rather than their P5X and a few people speculated that it handles worse enough to change... hoping someone else also saw this otherwise I'm just making unsubstantiated memories

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo

Hmmm...the Wurtele's still used their P5Xs until Parlee came along...the bike is proven to be extremely fast, there are some design issues I don't like (I want integrated hydration if I'm forking over 11k!).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.

rwurbina wrote:
LOL ....time wil tell if the P5X is as great as the P4. Maybe you need to talk to some of the pros who were dropped by Cervelo last year. They all hated it and were outspoken about it. Most of them felt slow and had tons of issues with it. The P5 is a great bike and the best Tri bike of all time is the P3. Even today P3 is the best bike you can buy(value for $) whether you are a newbie or a Kona AG.

Look at the wind tunnel data. It’s the fastest. If you are going to argue about bikes use data. Not anecdotal evidence from pros who are no longer being sponsored. I mean at least show me who and where they said this. Otherwise it just looks like your are just making shit up

Matt

Re: Triathlon Taren [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]

ChasingPB wrote:
Specifically regarding sponsorship disclosure

-Ventum - made a video disclosing it was free and said it during his bike build series... I'm also skeptical of the bike
-BicycleMakeover - made a video talking about them making him a free custom decal during the bike build
-Alto - when he got the wheels he explained they sold him the wheels at cost and they weren't entirely free
-Shimano - disclosed when he got that groupset in a video he got it for free
-Scody - he's talked about them sponsoring and selling his kit
-51 speedshop - he made a video saying they got sent to him for free

Every one of them has a video where he discloses this... Just an FYI.

Got it. Maybe the problem is that I watch some of his videos but by no means all, and yet I see the bulk of his posts on Instagram. Seems like there is rarely a post where he isn’t tagging multiple companies / referencing multiple products. Even if he mentions the affiliation elsewhere, it comes across a little profamateurish

ChasingPB wrote:
-He's trying to make this a business. Which means that he's lost some of the grassroots feel, but at the end of the day for him to put out content he's got to be able to afford expenses. And YouTube ad money on a niche YouTube channel is hard, so I'm willing to see some of the sponsored content because without it, his channel goes away.

This is something that gets me a bit. I'll start with saying that I *completely* understand and respect and agree with the opinions that, if your sponsored content starts eroding your real opinions and you essentially turn into a modern day QVC for millennials, absolutely, I understand the pushback.

That said, broadly, I don't have any problem at all when people try to monetize. It takes a huge amount of time for him and anyone else. If you feel like you get value out of the content, either educationally or entertainment, *and* you aren't paying anything for the content, it's not unreasonable that he gets paid for his efforts. It's work just like any other. Especially for the professionals here who charge a large hourly for their knowledge, you wouldn't give that away for free, right? Point being, you've done the work and have the background to be able to charge for your experience. YouTube is the same. I think it's a little unreasonable to deride someone who literally makes content full time with millions of total views and then shit on them for wanting to make a living from it. GCN and GTN are both exactly the same, as is tv for that matter. You may or may not directly pay for it, but someone does. If you value the content and you don't want to pay for it, it seems unreasonable to complain that the creator wants to get compensated somehow.

I do agree that having your opinions swayed by whoever pays you, not disclosing sponsorship, that sort of thing pushes past my comfort level. I make some videos here and there but have zero intentions of ever going full time. I would never do that. Just like how everyone here likes discussing tri, I like doing it other mediums as well. Mostly I just remember how tough it was to start the sport and if I can help some beginners out, I'm happy. Things definitely change when you go full time and you start *needing* to make money.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Sep 19, 18 10:22

Re: Triathlon Taren [kileyay] [ In reply to ]

i don't do youtube (well other than Lionel's videos lol), and I can't stand to follow people like Taren on instagram (no I don't need to see a post of you working out everyday). I do listen to his podcasts from time to time when I've already attempted to listen to all the stuff I like better than his.

My main problem with Taren, and it's probably because I don't ingest all of his different content, is I can't decide what he wants to do. A lot of his stuff is just all about his training and racing and looking for followers and sponsors but then he also does interviews and seems to want to also be a triathlon news source? as well as coach now by creating training plans? I mean maybe you can do all of those things? It's just all confusing to me.

Re: Triathlon Taren [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]

Again... the wind tunnel data made by who? Who pay for the test? You know there are a lot of letigimacy issues with the data we usually get as consumers. Every manufacturer always will try to make their latest products be better than anything else in the market. Also, we all know that what test best in the tunnel not necessarily be the fastest in the roads outside.

Yeah, he should be following the Canadian disclosure guidelines, which means any IG post regarding the products he received for free he should be disclosing.

----------------------------------
Editor-in-Chief, Slowtwitch.com | Twitter

rwurbina wrote:
Again... the wind tunnel data made by who? Who pay for the test? You know there are a lot of letigimacy issues with the data we usually get as consumers. Every manufacturer always will try to make their latest products be better than anything else in the market. Also, we all know that what test best in the tunnel not necessarily be the fastest in the roads outside.

Uh...right thar laddy: https://www.slowtwitch.com/..._Peak_Aero_6429.html

Re: Triathlon Taren [CU427] [ In reply to ]

On a somewhat related note: Does anybody know where Taren qualified for 70.3 WC?

Re: Triathlon Taren [Srlecey] [ In reply to ]

Austin, I think they had 2 slots for 35-39 (I just looked this up, thought he finished 8th) and it rolled down to him at 5th place.

Holy shit balls...now he's straight up spreading falsehoods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUQZPkytcQ

Dude has no business coaching swimming... should be farming this out...

Found 1 masters meet he swam at in 2014. He swam a 6:08 400m Free and 24:00 1500m Free but is listed as DQd for both swims...

Did he cheat and wear "Floaty" pants / illegal swimwear or was wearing a watch ?

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Last edited by: realAB: Sep 27, 18 20:00

Re: Triathlon Taren [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]

At the end of the day, I think most people who are in this business will realize that the money to be made is by the masses that do very little additional research and take everything at face value. This seems to fit very much in line with companies like Ventum (18 mins faster), Alto, and whatever else Taren has aligned with. There is little compelling reason for me to suggest these products over cheaper and/or better products. I don't have a problem with people monetizing the business, but like when I took issue with the Zone 3 post last year with the athlete who claimed their wetsuit was 6 second faster per 100, it just does a disservice to athletes and their peers. I can't go and ethically suggest any BlueSeventy wetsuit is 6 seconds faster because no wetsuit is 6 seconds faster than another wetsuit. Is it flexible darn right... but I watched the exodus of sponsored athletes leave BS because BS stopped cutting checks. A new company came around and picked up the slack and sure enough athletes jumped ship. It is wash and repeat as businesses realize athletes aren't worth their checks. Truthfully, guys like Taren are probably worth more than 95% of all pros but content is going to be tailored to the masses and let's face it, while Slowtwitch is a great resource and largely popular, I would suggest the masses are not STers, nor are the masses experts on the digestibility of Whey.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset

Re: Triathlon Taren [Sean H] [ In reply to ]

I'm not sure Taren is confused; he just wants to be 'relevant' ...a somebody. Personally, I have no interest in what all these wannabe influencers have to say. See my signature!

29 years and counting

Re: Triathlon Taren [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

The masses are most definitely NOT STers. From my anecdotal evidence, approximately 8 out of 10 have never heard of slowtwitch. I would argue, like any Internet forum, there is plenty of incorrect and misguided here. The longer you’re in triathlon you learn more of course and can identify bad information and I know here you start to learn certain posters who more consistently provide good information and not “magic fixes” to issues

TheStroBro wrote:
Holy shit balls...now he's straight up spreading falsehoods: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaUQZPkytcQ
He has an agenda. This video is completely unsurprising. This guy is a straight up tool.

TheStroBro wrote:

Like I said, when it comes to nutrition he has nfi and should just keep his mouth shut

Re: Triathlon Taren [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]

Thomas Gerlach wrote:
At the end of the day, I think most people who are in this business will realize that the money to be made is by the masses that do very little additional research and take everything at face value. This seems to fit very much in line with companies like Ventum (18 mins faster), Alto, and whatever else Taren has aligned with. There is little compelling reason for me to suggest these products over cheaper and/or better products. I don't have a problem with people monetizing the business, but like when I took issue with the Zone 3 post last year with the athlete who claimed their wetsuit was 6 second faster per 100, it just does a disservice to athletes and their peers. I can't go and ethically suggest any BlueSeventy wetsuit is 6 seconds faster because no wetsuit is 6 seconds faster than another wetsuit. Is it flexible darn right... but I watched the exodus of sponsored athletes leave BS because BS stopped cutting checks. A new company came around and picked up the slack and sure enough athletes jumped ship. It is wash and repeat as businesses realize athletes aren't worth their checks. Truthfully, guys like Taren are probably worth more than 95% of all pros but content is going to be tailored to the masses and let's face it, while Slowtwitch is a great resource and largely popular, I would suggest the masses are not STers, nor are the masses experts on the digestibility of Whey.

I see not 6 seconds faster than another wetsuit
Last edited by: RBR: Sep 28, 18 9:58

Re: Triathlon Taren [RBR] [ In reply to ]

RBR wrote:

I just retested, won’t say the brand, and was 9 seconds faster than no wetsuit per 100 yards

Right on the front page of this website is a test showing 10 seconds faster per 100 yards

I think they're talking about a difference between wetsuits, not versus no-wetsuit. The difference between wetsuit & skins will depend on how good a swimmer you are without the rubber.

29 years and counting

Re: Triathlon Taren [ripple] [ In reply to ]

ripple wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

He has an agenda. This video is completely unsurprising. This guy is a straight up tool.

I don't follow Taren and I'm certainly not an expert on nutrition. So what falsehoods is he peddling in this video considering he is willing to provide the links to the studies he is ostensibly quoting?

Re: Triathlon Taren [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]

haven't watched the video, but one of the issues is a fairly common trap, where people look at the outcome of a single study and extend those conclusions to situations that are beyond the scope of the study, when that gets to be on pretty shaky ground quite quickly. The other thing is looking at the latest piece of research and accepting that as definitive, when really it's just a small piece of a much larger puzzle.

But, marketers have a field day with that stuff, because it's an easy sell. "LOOK, SCIENCE SAYS <insert your product here> IS THE BEST!"

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly

Re: Triathlon Taren [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]

I watched the video and the take-away was to use a recovery drink with 4 to 1 carb to protein ratio after and regular food the rest of the day. I don't use OTC recovery drink mixes so he wasn't talking to me anyway, but I'm pretty sure I've heard that 4 to 1 stuff many times. Your point is well taken, but I would like to know what is specifically wrong in his statements even though I dismiss the majority of nutrition advice since there seems to be so much disagreement amongst the "experts".

Re: Triathlon Taren [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]

He's stating that whey protein causes insulin spikes. It doesn't. As most whey powders have limited sugar content. In fact, every powder in my house has under 4gs of sugar. He's also trying to throw shade at Quest here saying he gets super hungry an hour later...HTF is a protein bar with 1g of Sugar going to give you an insulin spike? It's not.

When it comes to recovery mix of the 4 to 1 ratio seemingly pioneered by Pacific Health Labs and their product Endurox? They've got data to back it up. But even after a ride I always go for a scoop of whey. Also, this is why Rinny is on the Chocolate Milk campaign 4 to 1 ratio. At WVU about a decade ago they had a drinking fountain with NesQuik in it rather than water. Must have been a bitch to clean!

Prev Next