Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're not going to call him out at least tell him to remove all reference and likenesses to/of you from his website and/or marketing material. Throw my indignation a bone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
AlwaysCurious wrote:
Sorry to hear that, that's lame of him. Maybe you're not Big and Sexy enough?

But thank you in advance for what I'm sure will be an entertaining thread. My week is never complete without some Friday Slowtwitch Drama.

This has absolutely 0 ZERO ZILCH NADA to do with the BSR team. Just clarifying in case someone here tries to connect the dots to Chris. That team (BSR) is an absolute A-Class outfit and have been nothing but outstanding to me and I'm proud as hell to represent them. This coaching fiasco is completely separate and was in place before I was selected for the team.

Just wanted to clear that up before this train took a wrong turn.

Oops, sorry. Maybe the coach is upset that you're representing another team? Maybe you're too Big and Sexy?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd demand a refund of the full season--coach has now left you in a bad position needing to get a new relationship up and running mid season. And, demand that he remove any reference to you in his marketing. What a jerk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One dissatisfied client can do more damage than many, many satisfied ones.

His issue is his. Not yours. The fact that he is showing you that he is a petty person. Why be trained by someone who focuses on petty perceived slights?

Name his name. Tell everyone. His acts were his acts and if he is bothered that you tell how he handles things, then he should change how he handles things. Post on FB. Be candid.

Oh, and move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
If you're not going to call him out at least tell him to remove all reference and likenesses to/of you from his website and/or marketing material. Throw my indignation a bone.

The coach already did that. Completely removed any reference that I was ever an athlete from their site. It appears (although I'm not certain since I didn't memorize everyone else) that I'm the only one this was done to.
Last edited by: SurfingLamb: Jun 13, 14 8:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only knowing one side of the story it sounds like a punk move by the coach. Mid-season is just bad form.

On the flip side, i do think athletes dont understand that the coaching relationship is a two way street. Most people think that just because you hire a coach, s/he should bend to the athletes wishes since they are the 'client.' I think coaches should more often fire clients. It's not unusual to be hired by a client that doesn't uphold their end of the bargain (not uploading data, lack of communication). Or to have a client that demands too much of your time. Not saying this was your situation.

I could also see where a coach is full but has a potential client that wants to be more of a team player (wear gear, etc). So s/he makes the call to drop someone in order to improve the business. Of course, there are tactful ways to do this. Email isn't that way.

In this case, i recommend being the mature/professional one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
I do not intend to publicly call the coach out btw.

From an entertainment perspective, I hope the ST Detectives accept that challenge.

Either way, this seems like a huge misunderstanding that wasn't handled very well. Looks like 1st (debatable) strike and you're out.

Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [PeterAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PeterAK wrote:
I'd demand a refund of the full season--coach has now left you in a bad position needing to get a new relationship up and running mid season. And, demand that he remove any reference to you in his marketing. What a jerk.

Would you support the coach if the client fired him in the middle of the season. Say the client was doing an IM and the coach was planning on four more months of income to pay the bills?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
PeterAK wrote:

Would you support the coach if the client fired him in the middle of the season. Say the client was doing an IM and the coach was planning on four more months of income to pay the bills?

Immaterial in this situation since he paid in full upfront for the whole year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
PeterAK wrote:

Yes. If the agreement was to pay the entire season up front for a year worth of services, and the client then wanted to cancel the deal without cause and demand a refund, yes I would support the coach. The OP paid for a season of coaching up front and is being told the deal is off because he didn't do something which was not required of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Referrals are a big part of my business. Funny thing about them, if you don't ask clients for referrals there's a pretty good chance you're not going to get any. I understand why he would want you to wear his gear but again without asking or giving you incentive then why expect or more to the situation demand you to.
And why would matter to his other athlete's that you are not wearing their gear?
Can't wait to see where this goes.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Last edited by: Leddy: Jun 13, 14 8:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not saying I support the canning of coaches - but, in this instance, I paid the coach up front. A full year in advance. November to November and I had every intention of reupping.

So your scenario doesn't apply here really.

That said, I think it's ok to let someone go if YOU are the one paying THEM. There's ways to go about it - but if you're not getting what you're paying for then by all means you shouldn't have to continue the service.

but if you fire one coach for a stupid reason - that makes you a douche and I wouldn't support it.

For what it's worth - in my eyes, at least - the relationship I had with them seemed great until yesterday. We weren't immensely close or anything, but I never got the impression that I was a bother or anything and felt that they were a pretty good coach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never heard of the "unwritten rule" and certainly do not expect any of my clients to automatically refer athletes to me. I am always extremely grateful when they do- but that is purely an added bonus. But again we only have 1 1/2 sides of the story - the 1/2 side are the coaches emails.

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Tell him you want ALL of your money back for the year as he broke his contract with you.

Also tell him you will be sure to tell everyone about your experience with him.

This is the most assbackwards way of handling a client in any business I have ever read.

You should out him on here.

I agree that this was handled very poorly. When ever a party is not satisfied with the performance of another in any way, F***** COMMUNICATE that to the other person. I've had bosses where i thought I was doing great with no negative feedback, then review times comes and you get slammed.

Total BS based on your side of the story.

I will say in his defense, he is somewhat correct that it's probably "good form" to thank anyone involved with you training etc. It builds good will, makes you look more professional and makes your coach look good to. But successful athletes are often driven and very focused, so it's understandable to focus on yourself a little and forget to mention ever person involved in your success. But I would never consider that an expectation unless it's been mentioned to you.

Is his coaching service advertised on your race kit?

EDIT: You not a pro, it looks like it's recreational for you. The situation still sucks, but I don;t think there's any possible legal action since this isn't your profession.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Last edited by: motoguy128: Jun 13, 14 8:45
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Referrals are a big part of my business. Funny thing about them, if you don't ask clients for referrals there's a pretty good chance you're not going to get any. I understand why he would want you to wear his gear but again without asking or giving you incentive then why expect or more to the situation demand you to.
And why would matter to his other athlete's that you are not wearing their gear?
Can't wait to see where this goes.

I disagree. I hate being asked for referrals for anything. It's a sign of desperation. I sing to the heavens about attorneys, brokers, CPAs that do their job well (and even just competently if they are good people and honest). You'd think the guy that runs my training is probably on his way to being canonized if you were one of my friends.

I'm not going to put my reputation on the line by making a recommendation if I don't truly believe in the person.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh boy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:

They did give me a trucker hat ....

Now THAT is outrageous.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
I do not intend to publicly call the coach out btw.

Why not? If it's publicity he's looking for then, by all means, you should oblige him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:

Email 3 (to me from coach): It's not you, it's me. (That was seriously said to me) I'm just looking for someone that will represent me a bit better and advertise me.

I like this part. Then he goes on to tell you how it's actually you and not him.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a few others have said, I think you are a best off out of that working relationship.

I am sure some coaches have their reasons for working in ways they do but I'm certainly no proponent of paying many months fee "up front" and certainly not 12 months..... smacks of several things, none of which IMHO I perceive as positive.

Just my 2c...

David

David T-D
http://www.tilburydavis.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm blown away by this. My thoughts about this have been said by almost every poster already. You paid for his services, you didn't get them in exchange for X-Y-Z. This guy sounds like he's a few fries short of a happy meal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the coach is a douche. Period.

That said, I find it weird that with all the crap you shill on your blog, you didn't mention him/her one time (that I could find).

What's the back story on that?

"Good genes are not a requirement, just the obsession to beat ones brains out daily"...the Griz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've heard of this happening

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...ient-he-just-sucked/

Quote:
In what is believed to be the first ever instance of an Internet cycling coach terminating a client who was paid up on his fees, Samuel Slopworthy ended his longstanding online coaching relationship with cyclist Waylon Tuppersmith today. According to Slopworthy, “Waylon just wasn’t any good. Mathematically, his chances of improving were, like, zero. That’s ‘zero’ with an infinity of zeroes after the decimal point.”

Although I'm sure your improvement didn't have so many zeroes, as you have stated that you're doing better this year than last

He wouldn't happen to be dropping you - a client who doesn't wear his gear - for a chick who would? Y'know, hiring a better looking billboard / spokemodel; results not withstanding?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
That said, I find it weird that with all the crap you shill on your blog, you didn't mention him/her one time (that I could find).

I did notice that also, haha.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could be the coach is embarassed that you wear that big orange POC helmet : )
Quote Reply

Prev Next