Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Not saying I support the canning of coaches - but, in this instance, I paid the coach up front. A full year in advance. November to November and I had every intention of reupping.

So your scenario doesn't apply here really.

That said, I think it's ok to let someone go if YOU are the one paying THEM. There's ways to go about it - but if you're not getting what you're paying for then by all means you shouldn't have to continue the service.

but if you fire one coach for a stupid reason - that makes you a douche and I wouldn't support it.

For what it's worth - in my eyes, at least - the relationship I had with them seemed great until yesterday. We weren't immensely close or anything, but I never got the impression that I was a bother or anything and felt that they were a pretty good coach.

Why is it ok to only let someone go if YOU are the one paying? I disagree with that 100%. Not saying this is the case, but why should a coach/attorney/accountant/etc stay in a relationship that is no longer beneficial to them? I have fired more than one client over the years. It wasnt worth it to me to continue dealing with them. One offered to pay me more, i said no. I didnt like his attitude and felt like he frequently brought me down. Why should i maintain that relationship just because i am being paid?

Again, i don't agree with the coach and you should be refunded your remaining balance. I think it was poor form and totally sucks for you. i just disagree that any coach or otherwise professional should be stay in relationship where they feel they are not getting what they want from the client. Unfortunately, this sounds like whatnthe coach decided (justified or not).
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Trispoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It seems the coach had expectations that they never voiced to the client and then fired them because they didn't meet those unspoken expectations. That's pretty different than firing someone who you don't work well with.

jackmott wrote:
stringcheese wrote:

That said, I find it weird that with all the crap you shill on your blog, you didn't mention him/her one time (that I could find).

I did notice that also, haha.

Make me a third that found that interesting.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [burnman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnman wrote:
Assuming that your account details the story well, I can't say that I agree with his position (or approach) ... but I can understand the logic from a voluntary exchange of services perspective. At the very best, it sounds short-sighted on his part (bad precedent, bad publicity, etc.).

He clearly has expectations that you're not meeting. Granted, that may be entirely due to his failure to properly inform you of them, but the balance of dissatisfaction remains. It's certainly a strange twist in the typical provider-client dynamic, so I guess the only takeaway should be that you were satisfied with the product while it lasted, but you're probably better off without the services of a flake.

I'd love to listen to you when you are trying to pick up hookers.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
windywave wrote:
Tell him you want ALL of your money back for the year as he broke his contract with you.

Also tell him you will be sure to tell everyone about your experience with him.

This is the most assbackwards way of handling a client in any business I have ever read.

You should out him on here.

I agree that this was handled very poorly. When ever a party is not satisfied with the performance of another in any way, F***** COMMUNICATE that to the other person. I've had bosses where i thought I was doing great with no negative feedback, then review times comes and you get slammed.

Total BS based on your side of the story.

I will say in his defense, he is somewhat correct that it's probably "good form" to thank anyone involved with you training etc. It builds good will, makes you look more professional and makes your coach look good to. But successful athletes are often driven and very focused, so it's understandable to focus on yourself a little and forget to mention ever person involved in your success. But I would never consider that an expectation unless it's been mentioned to you.

Is his coaching service advertised on your race kit?

EDIT: You not a pro, it looks like it's recreational for you. The situation still sucks, but I don;t think there's any possible legal action since this isn't your profession.

No - their coaching service is not advertised on my race kit. I do not - in any way - promote their coaching service. In my mind (and that's part of why I posted this) - I figured that since I am paying full freight for their coaching and allowing them to use my races images (often that I pay for and provide to the coach for free) - that I am satisfying my end of things.

And no - I'm not a professional triathlete (I enjoy having money to eat lol) and do not aspire to be one (pretty sure the door has already shut on that even if I did have that aspiration). I would never consider legal action over something like this (although I'm out a hefty chunk of change if the coach doesn't refund me - ~6 months of the coaching fees).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:
Not saying I support the canning of coaches - but, in this instance, I paid the coach up front. A full year in advance. November to November and I had every intention of reupping.

That said, I think it's ok to let someone go if YOU are the one paying THEM. There's ways to go about it - but if you're not getting what you're paying for then by all means you shouldn't have to continue the service.

but if you fire one coach for a stupid reason - that makes you a douche and I wouldn't support it.

For what it's worth - in my eyes, at least - the relationship I had with them seemed great until yesterday. We weren't immensely close or anything, but I never got the impression that I was a bother or anything and felt that they were a pretty good coach.

Why is it ok to only let someone go if YOU are the one paying? I disagree with that 100%. Not saying this is the case, but why should a coach/attorney/accountant/etc stay in a relationship that is no longer beneficial to them? I have fired more than one client over the years. It wasnt worth it to me to continue dealing with them. One offered to pay me more, i said no. I didnt like his attitude and felt like he frequently brought me down. Why should i maintain that relationship just because i am being paid?

Again, i don't agree with the coach and you should be refunded your remaining balance. I think it was poor form and totally sucks for you. i just disagree that any coach or otherwise professional should be stay in relationship where they feel they are not getting what they want from the client. Unfortunately, this sounds like whatnthe coach decided (justified or not).

But it would be unprofessional (and in certain professions a sanction worthy ethics violation) to fire a client and leave them in the lurch especially if they are current with their delineated obligations to you (generally payments).
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [stringcheese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stringcheese wrote:
I think the coach is a douche. Period.

That said, I find it weird that with all the crap you shill on your blog, you didn't mention him/her one time (that I could find).

What's the back story on that?

Couple of things:

1) I don't "shill" anything on my blog. I get the harsh tone of your post - but I really don't. Most of the stuff I review or whatnot are from things I'm happy with and I get at a discount in exchange for reviews/promotion/etc. If I get something at a discount I'm not happy with or get a product for free that I'm asked to review that I end up not liking - I just don't post the review and return the product. Your post seems to indicate that I'm being dishonest on my blog - and I'm really not.

2) Again - I haven't felt the need to promote his coaching services or say "Oh this is great - I owe *this race result* to *so and so coaching*!" I just don't feel the need to do that or think that it's necessary. I'm paying for a service from them, and I'm happy with the service. That's it. I won't blog about the company that does my yardwork or the place where I get my car serviced either.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was coached by Jordan he would make me bring in $200 per day or I would get pimp slapped. With his swim 2 years ago, who knew he wasn't limp wristed??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trispoke wrote:
SurfingLamb wrote:

I'm not saying that, in some instances, it's not ok. It surely is. I've fired bad customers in my line of work as well. I don't think that anyone should have to put up with anything "bad" and not fire someone with cause.

I just don't think that was the case here - at least from my understanding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:

Email 3 (to me from coach): It's not you, it's me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uAj4wBIU-8
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Too fun! Who is Dalzell Coaching?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [corneliused] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
*buzz*

Derek doesn't coach me. Just a teammate.

I'm not naming the outfit.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Referrals are a big part of my business. Funny thing about them, if you don't ask clients for referrals there's a pretty good chance you're not going to get any. I understand why he would want you to wear his gear but again without asking or giving you incentive then why expect or more to the situation demand you to.
And why would matter to his other athlete's that you are not wearing their gear?
Can't wait to see where this goes.

I disagree. I hate being asked for referrals for anything. It's a sign of desperation. I sing to the heavens about attorneys, brokers, CPAs that do their job well (and even just competently if they are good people and honest). You'd think the guy that runs my training is probably on his way to being canonized if you were one of my friends.

I'm not going to put my reputation on the line by making a recommendation if I don't truly believe in the person.

Personally I agree a 100%. But it doesn't change the fact that most clients who are paying for a service don't know you are actively seeking referrals from them unless you ask. I think the OP's coach is a pretty good example of that.

But lets agree to disagree if we have to and allow this thread to go where it needs to.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
burnman wrote:
He clearly has expectations that you're not meeting. Granted, that may be entirely due to his failure to properly inform you of them, but the balance of dissatisfaction remains. It's certainly a strange twist in the typical provider-client dynamic, so I guess the only takeaway should be that you were satisfied with the product while it lasted, but you're probably better off without the services of a flake.

I'd love to listen to you when you are trying to pick up hookers.

I believe they operate on a very simple (and obviously limited) set of principles: If you wanted it, you should have negotiated for it. If you didn't negotiate for it, then you're gonna have to pay for it.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Tell him you want ALL of your money back for the year as he broke his contract with you.

Also tell him you will be sure to tell everyone about your experience with him.

This is the most assbackwards way of handling a client in any business I have ever read.

You should out him on here.

So far I'm up to your post in this thread and it's exactly what I'm thinking.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
BrianPBN wrote:

Nope. I paid full freight and no one ever mentioned a thing to me about marketing him. They did give me a trucker hat and a bike jersey - but that was "included in the cost" and was never a requirement to wear to my knowledge. (Looking back at all my emails about it has shown it was never mentioned in any of the agreements we set up).

A lot of the coach's other athletes wear them 24/7 but I don't do a lot of bike races (most are TTs where I wouldn't be wearing a baggy bike jersey anyway) so I'd never really wear it.

If you're wearing a baggy jersey in a road race or crit you are doing it wrong. Especially if you're a breakaway artist or plan on sprinting. 30 Watts is a dumb amount to give up.

Your former coach is ridiculous, was he in a frat in college?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For whatever reason I think the coach has given you a win win for both of you with a way out.

If I were a coach, yep, I would hope the folks would send business my way. Makes sense to me.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [randymar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
randymar wrote:
I've heard of this happening

http://pvcycling.wordpress.com/...ient-he-just-sucked/

Quote:
In what is believed to be the first ever instance of an Internet cycling coach terminating a client who was paid up on his fees, Samuel Slopworthy ended his longstanding online coaching relationship with cyclist Waylon Tuppersmith today. According to Slopworthy, “Waylon just wasn’t any good. Mathematically, his chances of improving were, like, zero. That’s ‘zero’ with an infinity of zeroes after the decimal point.”

Although I'm sure your improvement didn't have so many zeroes, as you have stated that you're doing better this year than last

He wouldn't happen to be dropping you - a client who doesn't wear his gear - for a chick who would? Y'know, hiring a better looking billboard / spokemodel; results not withstanding?

You know that was satire right?

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach is a dick, he should charge more and then tell clients up front that they can pay less if they bring in other clients. If a rule is serious enough to cancel a contract it should be written. Seriously.

I agree with the person who said to get y our whole years fees back...
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbuike wrote:
randymar wrote:

Quote:
In what is believed to be the first ever instance of an Internet cycling coach terminating a client who was paid up on his fees, Samuel Slopworthy ended his longstanding online coaching relationship with cyclist Waylon Tuppersmith today. According to Slopworthy, “Waylon just wasn’t any good. Mathematically, his chances of improving were, like, zero. That’s ‘zero’ with an infinity of zeroes after the decimal point.”

Although I'm sure your improvement didn't have so many zeroes, as you have stated that you're doing better this year than last

He wouldn't happen to be dropping you - a client who doesn't wear his gear - for a chick who would? Y'know, hiring a better looking billboard / spokemodel; results not withstanding?

and this one might be as well.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is redonkulous... I think I need to start name-dropping my coach to everyone I ever meet! Don't care if they're into triathlons, cycling, running, swimming, dancing with the stars... you name it and I'll name him!
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
rbuike wrote:
randymar wrote:

Quote:

and this one might be as well.

My post isn't satire. It's a real situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
stringcheese wrote:
I think the coach is a douche. Period.

What's the back story on that?

Couple of things:

1) I don't "shill" anything on my blog. I get the harsh tone of your post - but I really don't. Most of the stuff I review or whatnot are from things I'm happy with and I get at a discount in exchange for reviews/promotion/etc. If I get something at a discount I'm not happy with or get a product for free that I'm asked to review that I end up not liking - I just don't post the review and return the product. Your post seems to indicate that I'm being dishonest on my blog - and I'm really not.

2) Again - I haven't felt the need to promote his coaching services or say "Oh this is great - I owe *this race result* to *so and so coaching*!" I just don't feel the need to do that or think that it's necessary. I'm paying for a service from them, and I'm happy with the service. That's it. I won't blog about the company that does my yardwork or the place where I get my car serviced either.

This might shed some light on the coach's butt-hurtedness. I'm not saying it's justifiable or professional, but I can envision his thinking going something like this:

I work hard coaching Surfing Lamb, and he gets good results from it. He pays me well, so it's a good match. But I don't get why he writes pages about products and wears other coaches' uniforms, but he never publicly says a word about my coaching. I wonder if Surfing Lamb is a little shallow, and only cares about free products and discounts, and doesn't value relationships? I feel like he doesn't appreciate anything he doesn't get for free.
Again, I'm not saying that justifies him breaking a contract with you mid-season, via email. But it might explain his butt-hurt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe when you get your refund you can afford to buy those copyrighted race photos on your blog.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [AlwaysCurious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Coach was made aware of my association with teams/sponsors/etc - a lot of which existed prior to them coaching me. In fact, said coach has promoted their coaching on their website using the teams/sponsors I'm with. So if that was their feeling - it didn't blindside them by any stretch.

That said - before today - I would have been happy to help promote them (for free) if I was just asked to. Like I said, I was happy with their coaching and felt it worked - so why wouldn't I?
Quote Reply

Prev Next