Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But if you're going to do a simple race report wouldn't a simple thank you be in order?

Like "thanks to XX for helping me get my result." Just common courtesy. I always make an effort to thank the people who have helped me when I write race-reports. Only time I haven't thanked my coach was when I was annoyed with him re a disagreement (which he was in the right about....hindsight is a nice thing).

Don't get me wrong, there is no way I'd be pimping out my coach for referral's and trying to get more athletes on board, only time is if they were gun athletes and I wanted to get them in to improve the squad.

Frankly I didn't know that was a thing to pimp out your coach. But then again, I've only ever had the one coach (if you exclude the last week).

I think its a classy thing to thank the people who've helped you on your journey. If you can find the time to put together a longer list of sponsors on your ST signature (OP) than about 95% of Pro triathletes, I don't see why you can't thank your coach.....

Quote | Reply
IF you as a athlete have a blog/website that is for the specific purpose of talking triathlon, you are an idiot if you don't mention your coach. Especially if you post sponsor ads.

So it makes zero conceptual sense to talk or mention your tax accountant, but to not mention your coach 1 time, yawn, you and your coach have issues.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your ex coach wanted publicity. Negative publicity is still publicity so why don't you just give him what he asked for.

SmartBikeTrainers.com || YouTube || My Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If a sales person helps you with a purchase do you say thanks on the way out or do you treat them like a slave who should be grateful for your money?

This guy obviously writes about his racing and training. It isn't like putting a note about his coach would be a stretch.

Sure he is doing the training, but the coach is certainly helping. Who do you think Olympic champions thank, their parents and their coaches. No one gets somewhere on their own, people always help out along the way. Lamb needed a coach, that coach was apparently doing good work. Seems like a simple 'thanks coach' would've been appropriate and shouldn't need a specific request as lamb is stating.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
well, i have to say it s a interesting thread but very strange. I have a hard time seeing why i would fire a athlete. I get very attach and motivated by working with each athlete and reaching there goal... giving up on one would be the last of my option.

But a few reason to fire someone (my opinion) would be:

-lack of commitement
-athlete share my workout with others/pass training plans to friend etc
-talk negatively to others about coach
-come on slowtwitch for advice AFTER HAVING ASK ME FOR THE SAME THING!!!

but yeah...it would take a major offense. Only have fired 2 athletes in past 8 years of coaching....

I don't think asking opinions after asking yours is grounds for firing an athlete. A coach is not the be-all-end-all.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [ericM40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand that fit implies the coach is getting good watts out of him

ericM40-44 wrote:
who is his fitter? Burn the witch!!!

Constantine wrote:
striket wrote:

Even his twitter pic is pirated. Does this guy pay for anything!

And Bad Fit To Boot

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That pic looks like he's going uphill.

jackmott wrote:
On the other hand that fit implies the coach is getting good watts out of him

ericM40-44 wrote:
who is his fitter? Burn the witch!!!

Constantine wrote:
striket wrote:

And Bad Fit To Boot
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i know we are all pullin the piss out of this pic (sorry lamby its all in good fun), if you look at the rest of his pics from a simple google, his position doesnt look that bad really. Maybe this is a bad pic, but his others are not like this at all. Maybe its old or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm LMAO at how this has turned into a "bash Lamb" thread. Which I'm OK with.

Long story short....I got a refund for June to Nov...which seems fair.

Also probably learned a lesson as the guy is echoing a lot of what's being said here in that I should thank my coach with stuff when talking triathlon. I'm guessing that goes a long way with them. Again...my perspective was never like that...but I've never claimed to be right about everything (usually I'm not).

The bummer is that other people got dragged through the mud here...which sucks. Only thing I regret about this thread and I should have seen that coming.

The picture was going uphill and was a fit I wasn't happy with. It happens and has changed for the better Imo. Guy wasn't coaching me at that time and really never dealt with my position anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [striket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
striket wrote:

Well I think he does pay for "things"
Coaching for example. I guess I don't understand all the hate directed at SL. It seems like he was earnestly shocked why his coach would drop him out of the blue and wanted what? help? reassurance? empathy" from the ST group. Boy you guys really came through.

Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You won't name him....never wrote of your coaching relationship ....is it Michelle Ferrari???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:

Also probably learned a lesson as the guy is echoing a lot of what's being said here in that I should thank my coach with stuff when talking triathlon. I'm guessing that goes a long way with them. Again...my perspective was never like that...but I've never claimed to be right about everything (usually I'm not).

The bummer is that other people got dragged through the mud here...which sucks. Only thing I regret about this thread and I should have seen that coming.

The picture was going uphill and was a fit I wasn't happy with. It happens and has changed for the better Imo. Guy wasn't coaching me at that time and really never dealt with my position anyway.

Can you tell us the name of the old fitter? If you've truly learned your lesson you'll thank the new fitter here, publicly, as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i think he established that you and me would never be a good match!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
well, i think he established that you and me would never be a good match!

Guess not, I'm not like a trainable puppy, sit, lay, shake hands, I'm a get as much info as you can and make your own decision. I do tell people that if you're going to pay a coach might as well listen to them, but I also wouldn't go to an extreme that if you ever dare question a coach you're a bad client. We're all people :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i respect your opinion.

in my career of 20 years racing professionally, it s obvious that athlete that behave like trainable puppy are the one that performs at the highest level. Now, i understand this isn't for everyone but not everyone make high performance and commitment there priority.

Athlete focus on execution of the plan, i take care of the decision making. Rarely had athletes unhappy this way. The process of high performance is not a easy one... you get grumpy, tired, mad etc... but it s a very growing experience for most athletes and very rewarding.

anyway, this is hijacking the thread! A very interesting thread also!!!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
12 pages and we've established that the OP will do almost anything for "likes" and "clicks". I'm going to go out on a lamb (get it!) and say this this whole thread has been just another attempt to draw eyeballs to his blog.

You've all been had by ShillingLamb.

By the way, I hate how much the hobby of triathlon feels like a multi-level marketing scheme.

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Jun 14, 14 8:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quality coach appreciates when an athlete asks why. I tell people all the time, it's a red flag when a coach hides from answers. Of course this is all in a professional/respectful manner. Asking theory behind a workout good...asking wtf your doing X and not Y, disrespectful.

I cringe every time I talk to a coach and they won't talk about their coaching style or philosophy on training, or "I can't discuss that because our team has a certain method". That isn't a coach, that's a program builder. Put them in a stressful situation and they likely fall apart.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've all been had by ShillingLamb.

________

I absolutely agree with that. The topic about coaching that the last page is doing has morphed into a good conversation piece however (almost ignoring the OP's issue...thus sorta hijacking the thread...but this was a total fluff thread to begin with...stuff just isn't adding up).

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:

Yeah, I think if you are receiving a quality product form a coach, it's reasonable to be an advocate for them and i think it's a reasonable expectation. It comes naturally to me as I have always worked in a sales/referral type of industries all my life, so I am always looking for opportunities to use my influence to advance others I respect. Now, to fire you without having al least broached the subject first is where tis coach made an error. If he felt this way, asking you be an an advocate would have been a better first step.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have not read through all 12 pages yet. Did we figure out who the coach is?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bryancd wrote:

Yeah, I think if you are receiving a quality product form a coach, it's reasonable to be an advocate for them and i think it's a reasonable expectation. It comes naturally to me as I have always worked in a sales/referral type of industries all my life, so I am always looking for opportunities to use my influence to advance others I respect. Now, to fire you without having al least broached the subject first is where tis coach made an error. If he felt this way, asking you be an an advocate would have been a better first step.
I agree with this, though from the first post it doesn't make it very clear if the coach hadn't already tried to explain this to Lamb. What is however very clear from this discussion is that lamb definitely had a different view on the coach-client relationship (almost like purchasing a product off Amazon, I pay, you give me the product, that's it) whereas many others including myself believe that if someone it providing a paid service to help you get better at something it is still nice to provide recognition.

I'm a self coached athlete but do masters swimming in a swim program that puts quite a bit of emphasis on technique, and as a consequence my swim progress has been exceptional. I definitely make sure to refer others to these coaches and their programs, and thank them publicly on occasion, as a way to show my appreciation. I can't give them more of my business because they already have that, however I can hopefully convince others to join which would be a win for the swim coaches as well as the other athlete him/herself.

Quote | Reply
CaptainCanada wrote:
Ok I've been away from ST for a while, so time to break my silence.

I was SurfingLamb's coach.

He just could not keep up to my training regimen. Constant whining about carpal tunnel syndrome, dry skin, chafing. Frankly, he is a total puss.

Obviously the post as a whole is sarcastic, but please tell me you're being sarcastic with the CT mention-One of the reasons I've turned to fitness as a hobby, and triathlon specifically is because CT has taken away my other hobbies.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [jkp07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkp07 wrote:
I have not read through all 12 pages yet. Did we figure out who the coach is?

There is no coach. Never was.
Last edited by: PigBodine: Jun 14, 14 9:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote:
Did we figure out who the coach is?

I am pretty sure I identified the coach with my last post in this thread, though no one has substantiated the claim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope.

But the slowtwitchers were hungry for blood and started to beat on Surfing Lamb, which obviously is/was easy...

There are rumors floating around Surfing Lamb was/is somehow connected to O.J.
Quote Reply

Prev Next