Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [lhpoulin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb should get a job as a fluffer.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [steelerguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
not a single mention of his coach on his blog, not a single mention on facebook in the last year.

CURIOUS
So what. Like Lamb stated, he does not blog about his lawn care man or his pool guy so why should he mention his coach? He pays his coach and that is it. He owes him nothing more.
If the coach requested that he put in a good word now and then it seems like Lamb is the type of guy who would have. But I do think Lamb is better off without this guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not a piler-oner, usually, but if I was his coach I'd be really annoyed he was pimping another coach's racing team, wearing their gear, pimping their products, etc and not making a single mention of me. The BS team is associated with a very specific coach, not like Timex or Wattie. There is no mention of ever even hiring a coach.

I never hid who I was working with. I always talked about my coaches and still will make unsolicited recommendations. It's just weird the SL doesn't ever mention his coach. Maybe SL wasn't getting free product so no mention?

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SurfingLamb wrote:
Email 3 (to me from coach): It's not you, it's me

It occurred to me that I got that one from TWO Coaches

Of course, they were girls, and I was fucking them, and the "coaching" was just running together, not really being programmed in any way. Since they were faster than me, I moved up in my results

"Coach" was a natural nickname

Then, at some point, we broke up

NOT performance-based, I'll have you know

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:
I'm not a piler-oner, usually, but if I was his coach I'd be really annoyed he was pimping another coach's racing team, wearing their gear, pimping their products, etc and not making a single mention of me. The BS team is associated with a very specific coach, not like Timex or Wattie. There is no mention of ever even hiring a coach.

I never hid who I was working with. I always talked about my coaches and still will make unsolicited recommendations. It's just weird the SL doesn't ever mention his coach. Maybe SL wasn't getting free product so no mention?

Just felt a need to respond to this:

BSR has no requirements to use Chris or anyone else as a coach. Some people do use him, some people don't. I'm among those who don't happen to. I explained to my former coach that I was selected for the team and he seemed stoked - so I doubt that was his problem.

I never "hid" anything. Not intentionally. I've had conversations about my coaching with members of my team (when the subject came up) but that's it. I never went out of my way to advertise for my coach either though. Maybe I just look at things different. Like I said, had he asked me to - I probably would have.

Anyway - I'm over this. Either I'll get my money back for him or I won't...not a lot I can do about it. This thread has already become a pain with people associated with my teams being mentioned and I'm having to explain the actions of anonymous people online.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Ty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ty wrote:
So what. Like Lamb stated, he does not blog about his lawn care man or his pool guy so why should he mention his coach? He pays his coach and that is it. He owes him nothing more.
If the coach requested that he put in a good word now and then it seems like Lamb is the type of guy who would have. But I do think Lamb is better off without this guy.

I just don't get this. It's about showing some basic appreciation for people that help you. The fact that money is exchanged shouldn't change that. If 'lamb' could do it on his own, he wouldn't pay for a coach.

It is very strange for an athlete to make no mention of a personal coach that is apparently doing good things for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This has Manti Teo written all over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is a way to get more hits on you blog, I think you won. (even though you pirated 75% of the pictures) I have never seen a blog with more pirated pics. Your faster than me, but I would never post a pirated pic...so cheap
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I had a coach for MTB racing I never mentioned it. My wife didn't even know I had a coach.

Quote | Reply
Jctriguy wrote:
Ty wrote:

I just don't get this. It's about showing some basic appreciation for people that help you. The fact that money is exchanged shouldn't change that. If 'lamb' could do it on his own, he wouldn't pay for a coach.

It is very strange for an athlete to make no mention of a personal coach that is apparently doing good things for him.

Maybe it's because I don't have a coach, but I don't get the "obligation" to blog and Facebook about someone that you are paying for a service. Yes you should have a good working relationship with a coach, but at the end of the day if they aren't doing you any special favors why are you supposed to be bending over backwards to mention them through social media and personal recommendations?

Also, in this scenario I believe he mentioned he's been working with this coach since the end of 2013... Basically 6-7 months. Should you be spamming your coach's name out there when you're just getting to know them yourself?
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [JenSw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JenSw wrote:

You'd be surprised how many people are coached by "Coaching Firm A" but wear kits from "Race Team B" or "Triathlon Shop C" who are sometimes even conflicting in some nature.
Example 1: I coach a guy who has his own coaching firm but is also sponsored by a Tri Store in my city (a city he doesn't live in). He never wears any of my team gear and depending on the race he wears a mix of the tri store and his coach firm.
Example 2: Guy is coached by Firm A, but he races for an for a tri club on their elite team. That team is sponsored by Firm B and Shop B, both of which are not at all associated with Firm A and could actually be considered a conflict.
Example 3: Woman coaches for Firm A, but is sponsored by Team B and all of Team B sponsors are conflicts with Firm A's sponsors, yet this woman continues to wear Team B's kit (nationally known team).

Quite simply as a coach all I care about is you (the athlete) doing well and being there to help you accomplish your goals. If i do my job well then you'll keep me around and perhaps... just perhaps you'll refer a client or two by reference, when someone ask if you're coached and by whom. However it is not up to you (the athlete) to drive business my way, that's not how I do things. If I want to get new business I hold clinics, I go to races (either to support current athletes or create a presence), or turn to social media (which I suck at).

If I wanted to drive business I would create an reward program. If a client refers a new athlete than the current client either gets 1 free month of coaching (after the new athlete has been on board for 3-6 months) or I give them a $50 gift card to the local tri shop (locals supporting locals). Or I would go to my partner shop and say "any athlete you refer to me, I will buy them a $50 gift card to your shop." Which is a win win for everyone. However all of that feels "off" to me and semi-forced, which I don't like. So I keep my nose to the grind, continue to grow, and continue to learn so I can better help my athletes reach their goals.

Sure it's nice to have referrals but by NO means is it an "unwritten rule", that's complete BS and just an excuse on why the athlete was let go. Perhaps the coach was pressured by other athletes because he was getting too much media attention (due to good results) but the other athletes thought angry lamb wasn't a "good representation" of the coaching firm because he didn't wear the kit. Either way, the coach has his reasons for letting the athlete go, unfortunately he doesn't have the balls to explain himself, perhaps it's to save hurt feelings, but it just adds speculation and confusion.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [striket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
striket wrote:
If this is a way to get more hits on you blog, I think you won

I never even THOUGHT to click any of those links

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [ZippityDuDah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZippityDuDah wrote:
lhpoulin wrote:
He keeps coming back and blue balling the thread.

I love this phrase, you win page 9!

Also in the running for thread winner.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [Shanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want to clarify that from what SL originally posted I don't think the ex-coach had a valid reason to drop him. I just think it is weird that he is posting his associations with products and other teams without even mentioning he hired a coach at all.

That's now how I work with coaches but maybe I pimp my coaches because I'm so friggin awesome I explode rainbows.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have no expectation of my athletes to pimp me. And that's exactly what your coach is/was pissed off about.

I feel that if I am doing well and they are seeing improvement, that will speak for itself and others will ask them who coaches them.

I had an athlete tell me just the other day that she was talking me up with her friends and I was quite flattered. She said she was trying to get them to hire me and I think that's awesome.

I told her, without even thinking about it, that if one of her friends hired me I would give her one month free coaching. Its the least I could do. Perhaps I will see about incorporating a referral program into my business as a result.

My coaching business is my hobby, I don't do it for a living. But I do care a lot about those who trust me with their programming and I do put a lot into it without expecting anything but their monthly fee in return.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [karma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
karma wrote:
Not hard to find the coach. I am pretty sure I found who it is in about 4 minutes.

I've got -pretty- good Google-fu, and I've come up empty so far. Was relying on cached hits, but nada.

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [renorider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was going for low hanging fruit and the OP responded that I was barking up the wrong tree. I'm sure someone out there will figure out the riddle, just not me I guess.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
not a single mention of his coach on his blog, not a single mention on facebook in the last year.

CURIOUS

There's a lot in the story that simply does not pass the smell test. I think the OP was going
for epic ST thread status and he might get it. I'm not sure it'll work out exactly as he wanted though.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [striket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
striket wrote:
If this is a way to get more hits on you blog, I think you won. (even though you pirated 75% of the pictures) I have never seen a blog with more pirated pics. Your faster than me, but I would never post a pirated pic...so cheap

+1 First thing I noticed too. I can't stand when people do that.....and I am not a photographer, just seem like stealing to me.

-----

"i’m the one guy who says don’t force the stupid people to be quiet — i want to know who the morons are." -- mark cuban
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [tridiego] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tridiego wrote:
striket wrote:

+1 First thing I noticed too. I can't stand when people do that.....and I am not a photographer, just seem like stealing to me.

Is Surfing Lamb a photographer? http://www.bryanlamb.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://mobile.twitter.com/BLambTriathlete

Your twitter feed is disgusting. If I was your coach, I'd fire you too.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [mercuryvapor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mercuryvapor wrote:
This has Manti Teo written all over it.

7/10

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you just won the thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Dropped by my coach mid season? WTF??? [JayZ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JayZ wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/BLambTriathlete

Your twitter feed is disgusting. If I was your coach, I'd fire you too.

Lamb the Spamb

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply

Prev Next