Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SayHey Kid wrote:
Updated splits (no T1 or T2 times are included in the overall total)

from Garmin and/or comments:
Day 1 - Hawaii - 1:07/6:21/5:23 = 12:51
Day 2 - Alaska - 1:08/6:33/5:23 = 13:05
Day 3 - Washington - 1:23*/7:12/5:33 = 14:08 (Swim: 1:15:23 + 7:49 = 1:23:12. He swim an additional 400 yds between B and R due to him swimming yards when he thought he was swimming meters.)
Day 4 - Oregon - 1:23/6:30/5:04 = 12:58
Day 5 - California - 1:26/6:46/5:30 = 13:43
Day 6 - Nevada - 1:34/7:31/6:19 = 15:24
Day 7 - Arizona - 1:44/7:39/6:39 = 15:02
Day 8 - New Mexico - 1:33/9:17 (6:20 moving)/ ~6:30 = ~17:30
Day 9 - Colorado - 1:38/7:38/6:23 = 15:39
Day 10 - Kansas - 1:32/7:37/6:38 = 15:48
Day 11 - Oklahoma - 1:35/7:30/7:17 = 16:22
Day 12 - Texas (indoors) - 1:21/6:26/5:55 = 13:43
Day 13 - Louisana (indoors) - 1:19/6:34/5:27 = 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [SayHey Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Math on Louisiana seems off. Did he stop and take a break for an hour but still count that towards his overall time?

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [aahydraa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aahydraa wrote:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4047275/

A detailed clinical journal by Beat Knechtle et al (himself a well known ultra triathlete) on a well documented 1x33 (33/33) with highly defined rules, lab tests, and incredibly even pacing (see the study if you really want details. Basically 12 hrs per IM with very little variation up to the end). Perhaps this may be the bar to hurdle. It's interesting to note that this athlete did not severely slow down towards the end and did not have massive weight losses, possibly indicating that he could have continued if he wanted to.

Indeed, that is a very interesting study and the guy who did the 33 irons back in June/July 2013 (Didier Wolosyn, age 46) is very impressive, averaging 12:27.5 per iron race including transition times and doing all of his biking and running outside. As you noted, he barely slowed down at all across the 33 days. My only very minor quibble is that he should not have used a wetsuit in a 29* C (84.4* F) pool but that said, i was impressed that he averaged 58.7 min for his 33 swims. Even with the wetsuit, that's a pretty impressive swim time across 33 straight iron days, and of course his avg BR times of 6:11 and 4:56 were quite impressive also. To compare with the IronCowboy's times, i.e. subtracting out his avg T1 (11.6 min) and avg T2 (6.7 min), then his average time excluding transitions was 12:09:12. Pretty quick for 33 irons in a row, and with no publicity AFAIK.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Last edited by: ericmulk: Jun 20, 15 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I take back my prediction that he won't make it. Didn't realize that wetsuit pool swims, drafting on the bike, paced runs, IV fluids and indoor bike+run sessions on uncalibrated gym equipment because of the weather were all options. No doubt the guy is a stud, but this stunt is getting pretty laughable now in terms of Guiness records and all that.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No doubt he's an incredible endurance athlete but if it's sunny why is he doing his triathlon at a gym?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TriTamp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriTamp wrote:
No doubt he's an incredible endurance athlete but if it's sunny why is he doing his triathlon at a gym?

he didn't swim in the pool in the wetsuit. He swam today OWS and the Olympians were conducting a swim clinic at a pool "next door"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
I take back my prediction that he won't make it. Didn't realize that wetsuit pool swims, drafting on the bike, paced runs, IV fluids and indoor bike+run sessions on uncalibrated gym equipment because of the weather were all options. No doubt the guy is a stud, but this stunt is getting pretty laughable now in terms of Guiness records and all that.

you know I never understood or 'got' the "haters gotta hate" thing but now i'm understanding it. when people completely fabricate what the IC is actually doing to justify their feigned outrage, then yeah, i'm totally understanding the "haters gotta hate" mantra.

this guy is more of an endurance athlete than you have any hope of being. he'd be more of an endurance athlete than you could ever hope for in your entire life if he did the "swim" in a kayak, did the bike on a motorcycle and did the run on skateboard.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think Iron Cowboy's feat is looking very successful so far.

He seems to be a fine ambassador for promoting fitness, and if he raises some money for Jamie Oliver foundation, and also himself & family, I have no problem with that. He is working his butt off.

If he finishes his 50/50/50, I don't think his accomplishment will be recognized by everyone as a record, because of the group rides, indoor days, and other triathlon rules not followed. But the way he is doing it looks like less drudgery (I hesitate to say more fun), and allows more interaction with the communities, which I think is also part of his goal.

Perhaps rather than setting a record, I think he's doing something unique and incredibly difficult, and leave it at that.

Stopped Clock
Last edited by: StoppedClock: Jun 20, 15 18:48
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you see the oly's names???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The continued whining about the move indoors is particularly comical IMO.

From the looks of it, had an actual race been scheduled on those days, on the courses he had planned, the race would surely have been cancelled. In Texas there was a tropical storm, and in Louisiana the roads were flooded.

It's not as though he had the option to just HTFU here folks.

In fact it's kinda priceless that this guy is doing this insanely difficult thing, and yet there's an undertone from the "haters" that he can't/won't/doesn't HTFU. It'd be virtually impossible for him to be any more HTFU'd.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StoppedClock wrote:

I think Iron Cowboy's feat is looking very successful so far.

He seems to be a fine ambassador for promoting fitness, and if he raises some money for Jamie Oliver foundation, and also himself & family, I have no problem with that. He is working his butt off.

If he finishes his 50/50/50, I don't think his accomplishment will be recognized by everyone as a record, because of the group rides, indoor days, and other triathlon rules not followed. But the way he is doing it looks like less drudgery (I hesitate to say more fun), and allows more interaction with the communities, which I think is also part of his goal.

Perhaps rather than setting a record, I think he's doing something unique and incredibly difficult, and leave it at that.

Stopped Clock

It's a stunt.

But, that doesn't mean it isn't impressive.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I completely agree that the move indoors was the only reasonable thing to do, and I don't think it made the feat any easier.

I completely agree that there is no way for this guy to HTFU. He is the definition of HTFU!

I think the guy is doing amazing!

I just think that any claim of a record will likely be awkward, just because a "record" implies that the feat can be reproduced, but the parameters of the feat are flexible (by necessity!).

This is not meant to be a criticism, but just an observation and opinion, regarding the "record" aspect of this. I don't mean this to have undertones.

Stopped Clock
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The oly swimmers are Kristy Kowal and Scott Spann.

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [StoppedClock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
StoppedClock wrote:
I completely agree that the move indoors was the only reasonable thing to do, and I don't think it made the feat any easier.

Agree. most on this site couldnt even swim 3.8k 7 days in a row in a pool.

He is impressive.

Have I donated any money? no

Has anyone?

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow..... someone should fund a study on why triathletes are so hateful towards one another. They can get all of their data right here.

I'm amazed at the lack of support within the community as time goes on. I'm going to make a serious effort at my next race to talk to the BOP people who are really struggling with real problems and spend time with them sharing that I've been there too. I hope even if I improve to the point of being quite good, I never become so miserable that all I want to do is drag down anyone else and whatever it is they are trying to achieve.

Thanks goodness most of you aren't like this on raceday, or I'd imagine a lot of fist fights breaking out instead of swimming, biking and running (or walking or even crawling) going on.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

Sometimes, if you don't know what you're talking about, you should just STFU
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

He didn't swim in that pool with the wetsuit, it was open water near the pool. He recognized the olympians giving a clinic and stopped by the pool post swim for a pic. My local tri shop posted this pic on facebook, and someone asked about the wetsuit. The person posting from his FB account replied and clarified what was actually going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
Dave Luscan wrote:

you know I never understood or 'got' the "haters gotta hate" thing but now i'm understanding it. when people completely fabricate what the IC is actually doing to justify their feigned outrage, then yeah, i'm totally understanding the "haters gotta hate" mantra.

this guy is more of an endurance athlete than you have any hope of being. he'd be more of an endurance athlete than you could ever hope for in your entire life if he did the "swim" in a kayak, did the bike on a motorcycle and did the run on skateboard.

You may be right. Other than the reality that I could smoke him at any non gimmick triathlon distance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
Dave Luscan wrote:

You may be right. Other than the reality that I could smoke him at any non gimmick triathlon distance.

He's Done 13. Why don't you go out and see if you can smoke him for the remaining 37...mr big talker;)
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [rhayden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhayden wrote:
Dave Luscan wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
Dave Luscan wrote:

He's Done 13. Why don't you go out and see if you can smoke him for the remaining 37...mr big talker;)

I don't participate in stunts. I race races.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
non gimmick means no longer than Olympic right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave Luscan wrote:

I don't participate in stunts. I race races.

What is that old adage? "Those who can...do, those who can't...particpate in OLY distance triathlons"
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [mrtopher1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mrtopher1980 wrote:
non gimmick means no longer than Olympic right?

Not at all. Halfs, Fulls, Doubles, Decas, whatever. Races should have clearly defined rules. Certainly attempts at Guiness records DO have clearly defined rules. The iron cowboy is pretty much winging it, making things up as he goes. I doubt this will qualify for any type of Guiness record, nor will there be any definite parameters of comparison for the next person who comes along and attempts 51 or more. So it's obviously not a race, nor is it any kind of legit record setting attempt. The charitable aspect has come under serious question. So a lot of us "haters" are really just asking what the heck is this all about?

Clearly James is an excellent and accomplished endurance athlete, but as it stands now, what he is doing is within reach of many many more athletes than the hype surrounding this event has apparently led a lot of the "lovers" to believe.

When I first heard about 50/50/50, my gut told me it is not possible. Like an 8.5/100m, just not happening in current times. The reality of the event is not at all what I expected after reading the promo materials. Kinda like showing up to watch Usain attempt an 8.5 hundred and seeing the course is set up down a 20% grade. And he gets to do a running start if he doesnt make it the first time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will address this again for you Dave, this isn't a Guiness attempt, it never was.

The charitable aspect has only been questioned a few times, by people on ST.

If want to get technical, he just said he was doing 50 ironman distances, not "races"
Last edited by: TylerJ: Jun 21, 15 5:46
Quote Reply

Prev Next