Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
thekidd142 wrote:

People like you are why I do not come to Slowtwitch on a daily basis.

So you don't like people who ask for the data/facts and make their own decision/opinion based on said data?

You must be in the liberal arts field.

I'm still curious how the data tells you that James isn't a good parent.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dominion wrote:

I'm fascinated by this endeavor and amazed at its possibility. Much respect. But am frustrated by the continued "shouting down" of the so called "haters".
I don't see any haters. I see people expressing their opions of the chance of success and the way the whole process is being undertaken. It seems that predictions of failure or questioning the "rules" is not to be tolerated.
In many cases people just want to know what the rules are. If its not "17 hours", and its not "completing within the 24 hour day", and its "come back and do a little more swimming later", and its "lets do this part indoors"...while still an amazing achievement I think all the making up the rules as we go along does seem to water it down just a bit. I think many just want to know the parameters going into this thing. It gives it more validity.

Now I know that may not be a popular opionon on this thread, and maybe I'll be asked to leave, or someone will post a disrespectful meme because someone disagreed with it. But no one is hating, after all ths is the "prediction" thread, not the "kumbayaa, lets all hold hands and declare our undying everlasting praise for the IronCowboy" thread.

I've been checking the progress but yeah I'm on the same boat as you, I'm not hating but it's now a "meh" for me once he did the indoor ironman day. I didn't mind the extra swim to get the distance as it could have been data glitch and good luck to him still as it's some kind of an adventure challenge + charity, but it's not a 50 IM in my eyes anymore. Pretty much the weather and nature won...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'm a lawyer. Sometimes you just let the other side talk, inform the judge there is no need for a response, and let him hammer the other side. Like in this case.

Back when I was a young lawyer (nearly 20 yeas ago) I was in court arguing some random motion. Probably one of the first few time's I was in court. After the other side made some ridicuous argument, I start to speak. The judge interupts me to ask the other side a question and they start in on some crazy response. I start to interupt and the judge stops me again. This time he directs his comments my direction and says "son, part of learning to be a good lawyer is to recognize when you're winning and shutup. This is one of those times." Needless to say I remained quiet for the rest of the hearing and won the motion. I learned a valuable lesson that day and one that I continue to employ almost daily.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
I just hope there are not legs where he has to ride a trainer or run on a treadmill ....hopefully weather/travel will cooperate and prevent that from happening. The guy is nuts...and I will be following :) I want to see his PMC in Training Peaks too.

This is what I posted in this thread on May 20th. Today they are saying he is inside because of Hurricane Bill. Bill is not a hurricane, the storm is a tropical depression. The amount of exercise he is doing is impressive. Doing it without facing the elements takes away from his endeavor.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:
Quote:
I'm a lawyer. Sometimes you just let the other side talk, inform the judge there is no need for a response, and let him hammer the other side. Like in this case.

Back when I was a young lawyer (nearly 20 yeas ago) I was in court arguing some random motion. Probably one of the first few time's I was in court. After the other side made some ridicuous argument, I start to speak. The judge interupts me to ask the other side a question and they start in on some crazy response. I start to interupt and the judge stops me again. This time he directs his comments my direction and says "son, part of learning to be a good lawyer is to recognize when you're winning and shutup. This is one of those times." Needless to say I remained quiet for the rest of the hearing and won the motion. I learned a valuable lesson that day and one that I continue to employ almost daily.

LOL, the most valuable court lesson an atty can learn! Some learn it by arguing themselves out of a favorable tentative.....
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Dominion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In many cases people just want to know what the rules are. If its not "17 hours", and its not "completing within the 24 hour day", and its "come back and do a little more swimming later", and its "lets do this part indoors"...while still an amazing achievement I think all the making up the rules as we go along does seem to water it down just a bit. I think many just want to know the parameters going into this thing. It gives it more validity.

I think his rules are very clear. 50 IM distance type things in 50 days in 50 different states. Just get 'er done. I don't think he's obsessing too much about the start time, end time, down time, etc. Nor do I think he's relying on us as to define success for him.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
I just hope there are not legs where he has to ride a trainer or run on a treadmill ....hopefully weather/travel will cooperate and prevent that from happening. The guy is nuts...and I will be following :) I want to see his PMC in Training Peaks too.

This is what I posted in this thread on May 20th. Today they are saying he is inside because of Hurricane Bill. Bill is not a hurricane, the storm is a tropical depression. The amount of exercise he is doing is impressive. Doing it without facing the elements takes away from his endeavor.

You should give him a call and let him know how you feel.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

So is your suggestion he goes out in unsafe weather?

Or should he just man up and complete the distance inside??
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think doing it indoors is more impressive. I won't think twice about a 90-minute bike ride or 60-minute run, but I'm proud of myself if I manage a 30-minute session on the trainer or treadmill. No cooling wind, no scenery, no variation. Sucks.

Probably somewhat better for drumming up media coverage too, since he can give interviews and have photos/video taken while he's on the trainer or treadmill.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jun 18, 15 10:54
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

I was simply stating my opinion....not looking to argue. I do not feel the weather is unsafe. It is partly cloudy and windy with a 10% chance of precipitation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
TylerJ wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

I was simply stating my opinion....not looking to argue. I do not feel the weather is unsafe. It is partly cloudy and windy with a 10% chance of precipitation.

Are you there?
What about the flash flooding?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"It seems that predictions of failure or questioning the "rules" is not to be tolerated.
In many cases people just want to know what the rules are. If its not "17 hours", and its not "completing within the 24 hour day", and its "come back and do a little more swimming later", and its "lets do this part indoors"...while still an amazing achievement I think all the making up the rules as we go along does seem to water it down just a bit. I think many just want to know the parameters going into this thing. It gives it more validity. "

Has anyone come close to 50 IM distance events in 50 states in 50 days? If not and he does 50/50/52, he has the record. The record will stand until someone betters his accomplishment. Some of his days go past midnight, so the next "guy" may need to figure out how to do all of them prior to midnight. When you are to only one to accomplish something of this level, he is setting the bar, from this event on, this will be the standard until someone does better.

Larry
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doesn't this whole argument boil down to expectations?

The IC laid out an impossible ask complete with maps, dates, times, courses, ext. A few of us quickly jumped onto those smaller points and pointed out the obvious. THE TASK IS IMPOSSIBLE.

The issue is not with what he is trying to accomplish on the grand scale, it is the fact that he defined an impossible mission. He has failed his own defined mission as stated prior to the start of this adventure. He hasn't completed the routes he said he would. He has finished after midnight. ext.

The pre race message was obviously way more rigid than reality has allowed. He would have been way better off setting much lower expectations, such as, "we are just a wild and crazy bunch of cowboys planning doing 50 full distance races in 50 states, and 50 days. Join our Rodeo! Stay on our facebook page to see updates, routes, and changes."

I love the guys effort. I am fine with the self promotion. and I am beyond impressed that he has made it this far. But I don't begrudge the haters, as they are pointing out issues that the IC and his crew brought upon themselves by setting unrealistic expectations.

Austin Hardy -

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we need is to hammer out an ST-approved set of rules for future similar endeavors. Would doing 60 indoor iron distances in 60 days, all in the same gym, break this 50/50/50 record (assuming he makes it one way or another)??? Or can he/she swim in a pool but all the bikes and runs need to be outside??? Is a relatively flat course OK, or does each iron "race" need X000 ft of climbing??? If the ST powers that be could agree on the rules, it would make the judging of future events easier. I have a feeling that this thread may unleash a bunch of attempts to break the 50/50 record, i.e. maybe not trying to go to all 50 states b/c that is too expensive but to try to do say 60 irons in 60 days, then 70, 80, etc. Ultimately someone will likely do 365 irons in 365 days, all on the same 2 mile strip of road, then the next person will have to go for 400 in 400, then 500 in 500, etc. WTC will go out of business b/c a mere single iron will seem to be child's play:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Aust1227] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aust1227 wrote:
Doesn't this whole argument boil down to expectations?

The IC laid out an impossible ask complete with maps, dates, times, courses, ext. A few of us quickly jumped onto those smaller points and pointed out the obvious. THE TASK IS IMPOSSIBLE.

The issue is not with what he is trying to accomplish on the grand scale, it is the fact that he defined an impossible mission. He has failed his own defined mission as stated prior to the start of this adventure. He hasn't completed the routes he said he would. He has finished after midnight. ext.

The pre race message was obviously way more rigid than reality has allowed. He would have been way better off setting much lower expectations, such as, "we are just a wild and crazy bunch of cowboys planning doing 50 full distance races in 50 states, and 50 days. Join our Rodeo! Stay on our facebook page to see updates, routes, and changes."

I love the guys effort. I am fine with the self promotion. and I am beyond impressed that he has made it this far. But I don't begrudge the haters, as they are pointing out issues that the IC and his crew brought upon themselves by setting unrealistic expectations.

Lets all agree that he is not doing 50 races.

FWIW not a hater.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
What we need is to hammer out an ST-approved set of rules for future similar endeavors. Would doing 60 indoor iron distances in 60 days, all in the same gym, break this 50/50/50 record (assuming he makes it one way or another)??? Or can he/she swim in a pool but all the bikes and runs need to be outside??? Is a relatively flat course OK, or does each iron "race" need X000 ft of climbing??? If the ST powers that be could agree on the rules, it would make the judging of future events easier. I have a feeling that this thread may unleash a bunch of attempts to break the 50/50 record, i.e. maybe not trying to go to all 50 states b/c that is too expensive but to try to do say 60 irons in 60 days, then 70, 80, etc. Ultimately someone will likely do 365 irons in 365 days, all on the same 2 mile strip of road, then the next person will have to go for 400 in 400, then 500 in 500, etc. WTC will go out of business b/c a mere single iron will seem to be child's play:)

omg you're right! it is a PLOT! a plot to overthrow the WTC! you need to go into hiding QUICK LIKE A BUNNY now because now that you've figured it out they'll be after you!

i sure hope the IC is getting as much entertainment from these ruler-up-the-ass guys (not calling them haters) who are so insistent on Rules and Regulations. but hey, i live in mxico and we don't need no stinkin rules or regulations so i have a huge cultural bias there...

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jayhox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jayhox wrote:

You don't seem to want any response in this particular case. Please review what you have written, and I think that you may recognize it as a more a bullying forceful tone rather than an opinion (based on data or otherwise) based discussional tone. I don't see an interest in partaking in a thoughtful repartee from a diametrically opposed viewpoint, but rather a need to quell any thought process which differs from your own. This is not really the hallmark of intelligence to me, but again, that is just my humble opinion.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:

i think one reason he might be more sensitive to rain is that he went through a few days of trenchfoot in AZ (3-4 days ago?) and i think he is very cautious about having 5-6 hours of wet feet again.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [thekidd142] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thekidd142 wrote:

People like you are why I do not come to Slowtwitch on a daily basis.

Hi thekidd142,

Im not sure what you mean by 'People like you' is meant to refer to. Could you please clarify? Personally I do not come that often any more, as the new group of individuals over the past several years ask the same questions that have been brought up many times before, and the useful:crap ratio of information does not make the ROI worth it.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Jayhox wrote:

You don't seem to want any response in this particular case. Please review what you have written, and I think that you may recognize it as a more a bullying forceful tone rather than an opinion (based on data or otherwise) based discussional tone. I don't see an interest in partaking in a thoughtful repartee from a diametrically opposed viewpoint, but rather a need to quell any thought process which differs from your own. This is not really the hallmark of intelligence to me, but again, that is just my humble opinion.

Stephen J

LOL, that has got to be the most overwrought, over thesaurized [made that up] and whiny response to a freaking Ron Burgundy meme ever on the internet.

[golf clap]
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Of course, doing 50 actual iron races in 50 days would be impossible since AFAIK there are no iron races on Mon to Fri:)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am outraged! There are clear rules and standards on who is allowed to call themselves a Cowboy, and IRONCowboy 50 clearly does not meet them!

Go, approximately-iron-distance-not-actually-a-cowboy, Go!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
Jayhox wrote:

Stephen J

I can't imagine how you react to things that are actually serious matters in life if this is how you react to a guy going on an adventure of a lifetime with his family supporting him all the way, by all factual accounts. But if you think accusing the guy of being a horrible father is "thoughtful repartee" then be my guest.

Quote | Reply
For those not thrilled about the bike being ridden indoors today, take a look at the proposed bike course. It's in direct proximity to the Red River which has been substantially over flood stage for weeks now. Sections of it are likely underwater or at least closed to traffic.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ONDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ONDave wrote:
I am outraged! There are clear rules and standards on who is allowed to call themselves a Cowboy, and IRONCowboy 50 clearly does not meet them!

Go, approximately-iron-distance-not-actually-a-cowboy, Go!

so maybe The Ironic Cowboy?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply

Prev Next