Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The indoor options would be helping the support people. That don't have to chase him on the road. They can actually rest.
And it's becoming clear that he can do it and comments made early that it will fail due to the support people seem more of a possibility.

Still he is still going.

Re indoor I would have preferred him hit velodromes. Sure boring but actually moving.

And in a velodrome he would actually be going faster than on a turbo.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [MarvinTPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarvinTPA wrote:
People complain about doing the bike and run indoors but have accepted the swim being in a pool seemingly without question.

I think it was understood from the beginning that pools would be utilized. Braving the elements on the bike and run was seen as one of the big challenges, one of the things that could stop the endeavor. No one realized he would punk out whenever the weather got iffy. Also travelling from state to state to exercise in gyms seems pointless and lame.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Arch how many back to back full distance triathlons have you done or could you do?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seeing as how the double ironman record is under 24 hours, I'd say yes.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
Arch how many back to back full distance triathlons have you done or could you do?

This is a stupid statement that always seems to pop up. Just because everyone hasn't done everything doesn't mean they don't have a relevant opinion or thought about the subject matter. It's a very valid opinion that doing the bike or run indoors does a bunch to cheapen this undertaking. For you that may not change the position on the pedestal though.

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I feel anyone has a right to their opinion. But for someone to focus primarily on the negative and never a positive comment doesn't really validate their opinion, relevant or not. And for someone to support such a stance is, to use your terminology, stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:

Totally irrelevant. I am not the one funding my recreation using the guise of charity while telling people I will do an Ironman in each state. Funny enough, while this time it is supposedly about childhood obesity, a while ago it was a charity for Africa. Maybe next year it will be restless leg syndrome.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
The indoor options would be helping the support people. That don't have to chase him on the road. They can actually rest. And it's becoming clear that he can do it and comments made early that it will fail due to the support people seem more of a possibility. Still he is still going.
Re indoor I would have preferred him hit velodromes. Sure boring but actually moving.

Using a velodrome would be very cool if you could actually find one in the state where you need it. Also, regarding "it becoming clear that he can do it", and not being a naysayer at all, but remember that after today he has done 14 out of the 50, or 28%, so he still has a very, very long way to go. I think the jury is out until he actually finishes the 50th iron race. There are still many, many miles to go, and many potential injuries that could take him down. That said, he's certainly making an heroic effort!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [cpotter88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
really? 2 IM's in the 17 hour cut-off.....doubtful! 24 hours..doable! //

24 hours would be a 50+ AG time. If you put up some decent money and the top pros showed up, it would be 17 hours, or less. There are what, a couple dozen guys that have broken or gone right at 8 hours? Doubling and adding an hour would be just about the right handicap i would guess. So those 7;45 performances on a single ironman would be right around 16;30 or so.

If you look at some of the pro times at races like the ultra man, they do not slow down that much. Of course that is a stage race, but even adding a mile per hour on the bike and slowing down the run 30 seconds a mile, they would break that 17 hour mark. And like i said, on a fast course with good weather conditions. This would not happen in Tahoe, or Lanzarote, but like Florida, Austria, Roth, maybe even Hawaii if you put up enough money..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Arch Stanton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
About as irrelevant as your constant trash talk about the guy all thru this thread. See posts #126 and #336 and probably others.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:

Totally irrelevant. I am not the one funding my recreation using the guise of charity while telling people I will do an Ironman in each state. Funny enough, while this time it is supposedly about childhood obesity, a while ago it was a charity for Africa. Maybe next year it will be restless leg syndrome.

So you're going to go stop him? Sounds like you need to.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:

So you're going to go stop him? Sounds like you need to.

I think he should sue him for fraud
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:

As of a few weeks before he started it was all about a Africa charity while he was on the Rich Roll podcast. The discussion of what level of a financial scam he runs via these feats is an entirely separate discussion from the difficulty and impressiveness of what he's accomplishing physically. It has been noted by several people who live where he does that he is somewhat questionable when it comes to how he gets money to do these "feats".

Twitter
Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [matt_cycles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
matt_cycles wrote:
fe_dad wrote:
Yeah, but that's sort of your fault for assuming things, right? He left it pretty open ended, and is doing what we set out to do.

How is expecting an ironman a day an assumption? It's on his front page. "50 Full Ironman Distances in 50 Days in 50 States "

I get that people like the guy and want to white knight for him, but come on!

All that says is in a 50 day time span he will complete 50 full ironman distances in 50 states.

so he could do 3 back to back to back, in 2 days and then rest a day. Nothing saying he is only doing 1 a day, or that every day in the 50 will have one. We could really get picky and argue about if the entire IM distance needs to be done with a state, if he bikes through a state that would be a state

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He's coming to my neck of the woods tomorrow. Just now read the below article. Did not see in this thread that he already had 2 GR for endurance events:
"At 39 years old, James already holds two Guinness World Records for most half-Ironmans (22 in 30 weeks), and most full Ironman-distance triathlons in a single year (30 - in 11 countries). "
http://www.fleetfeetstlouis.com/...amp;utm_medium=email
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [travis_lt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
travis_lt wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:

As of a few weeks before he started it was all about a Africa charity while he was on the Rich Roll podcast. The discussion of what level of a financial scam he runs via these feats is an entirely separate discussion from the difficulty and impressiveness of what he's accomplishing physically. It has been noted by several people who live where he does that he is somewhat questionable when it comes to how he gets money to do these "feats".

The bickering and dickering in this thread is exhausting me more than 50/50/50 would.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me it is still unclear if that charity thingy is really something he wants, versus something somebody from his entourage came up with.

I do root for him that he achieves HIS personal goals. Which seems to me is why he embarked on it.

Like a journey to find yourself..... (at least I like to see it that way).

In that case, the "whimsical" way he goes about it would make sense.

Arch Stanton wrote:
arby wrote:

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
To me it is still unclear if that charity thingy is really something he wants, versus something somebody from his entourage came up with.

I do root for him that he achieves HIS personal goals. Which seems to me is why he embarked on it.

Like a journey to find yourself..... (at least I like to see it that way).

In that case, the "whimsical" way he goes about it would make sense.

They had a couple days this week where they were plugging the charity on facebook, but it really seems like this endeavour makes a better vehicle for sponsor plugs than charity fundraising. It's an amazing feat that is interesting enough to follow, and there's lots of sponsor applicability: recovery, nutrition, comfort, tracking tech, power tech, etc.

Or really, it's a goofy guy doing what he wants, and he's free to do it however he wants.

STAC Zero Trainer - Zero noise, zero tire contact, zero moving parts. Suffer in Silence starting fall 2016
Last edited by: AHare: Jun 19, 15 16:11
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AHare] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, the wife and I went down and hung out. Mexican and drinks were calling us so we didn't run the 5k with him but we were there for the 5k finish, talked to James a bit, his kids a bit, and his support crew a lot.

This whole thing rocks. What others have said about seeing is believing is so very true. I really don't care if the guy is clear on his social media campaign, where the money goes, if he is officially doing 140.6 every day, etc.

James is a beast. Anyone that has done 2 indoor IMs let along 14 in a row has my ultimate respect. And for anyone that is worried for his kids, his kids are having a blast. Yes, the whole thing is grass roots and definitely not organized. Reminded my wife and I of the 3 week RV trip across NZ that we did in 2012. We bought a shirt and donated some money.

Best quote of the night was when I mentioned "on Slowtwitch, there is a thread...." and James' support crew said "what's Slowtwitch". Suck on that haters.....
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"suck on that haters" sounds like a great response to people that don't approve of someone pretending to support a charity in order to finance their adventures.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Jonathan22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The term "suck on the haters" is mostly used by haters... who suck themselves.

Jonathan22 wrote:
So, the wife and I went down and hung out. Mexican and drinks were calling us so we didn't run the 5k with him but we were there for the 5k finish, talked to James a bit, his kids a bit, and his support crew a lot.

This whole thing rocks. What others have said about seeing is believing is so very true. I really don't care if the guy is clear on his social media campaign, where the money goes, if he is officially doing 140.6 every day, etc.

James is a beast. Anyone that has done 2 indoor IMs let along 14 in a row has my ultimate respect. And for anyone that is worried for his kids, his kids are having a blast. Yes, the whole thing is grass roots and definitely not organized. Reminded my wife and I of the 3 week RV trip across NZ that we did in 2012. We bought a shirt and donated some money.

Best quote of the night was when I mentioned "on Slowtwitch, there is a thread...." and James' support crew said "what's Slowtwitch". Suck on that haters.....
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PJC wrote:
The indoor options would be helping the support people. That don't have to chase him on the road. They can actually rest.
And it's becoming clear that he can do it and comments made early that it will fail due to the support people seem more of a possibility.

Still he is still going.

Do you how few velodrome's there are in the US?
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [davearm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davearm wrote:
fe_dad wrote:
It's an assumption because he doesn't say "an Ironman per day".

50 ironman in 50 days is not an ironman per day. It averages out to that, yes.

This got me to wondering if a pro that typically goes ~9 hours or under could pull off 2 IMs within a 24 hour period.

A 10 hour IM finisher with a reasonably solid run should be able to go sub-24 in a double iron.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [satanellus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4047275/

A detailed clinical journal by Beat Knechtle et al (himself a well known ultra triathlete) on a well documented 1x33 (33/33) with highly defined rules, lab tests, and incredibly even pacing (see the study if you really want details. Basically 12 hrs per IM with very little variation up to the end). Perhaps this may be the bar to hurdle.

It's interesting to note that this athlete did not severely slow down towards the end and did not have massive weight losses, possibly indicating that he could have continued if he wanted to.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [jeffoffline] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeffoffline wrote:
"suck on that haters" sounds like a great response to people that don't approve of someone pretending to support a charity in order to finance their adventures.

Any proof this is actually what James is doing? Think his sponsors would go for that?
Quote Reply

Prev Next