Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
If it were me, when i got wind (pun intended) of the storm brewing i would have had my planner making contingency plans - moving the states around. hopefully something like that is in the works

It's too late now to do anything about rearranging the states. Maybe he can get out tomorrow but driving tonight
might not work. I live 180 miles west of Dallas and they are diverting flights to Dallas here right now.

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Completely agree. WTC doesn't own the distance but they own the IRONMAN name. If he wants to call it an iron distance or a full distance triathlon... then there is no problem. If you call it an IRONMAN, don't be surprised if WTC gets involved.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:
aw, man, those Poor Abused little kiddos. riding out the storm at an indoor water park. :) i just used your post to put this cute picture up. i like it because it shows mommy too.

Kathy, I took you up on your recommendation. I went there, met him, and chatted with him and one of his trainers a bit. He is a really nice guy, and I wish him all the luck. I took some photos too. The guy on the left in your photo in "aero" has been there riding with him for 5 hrs too. When I got there he was about 90 miles into the bike. I looked at his computer and he is putting out legitimate watts and making progress. He asked me to stick around have a run with him for some of the run later, but I declined. I'm still too heavy and not certain of my knee after surgery at the end of last year. My coach says I don't have to run yet, so I'm not running yet even though IMFL approaches.

I took a few photos for him with his phone and snapped a few on my phone too. I can post them later if anyone is really interested but they look almost exactly like the one you posted. From what I can tell the stages spin bike looks like a pretty nice setup too. The spin bikes at my gym have power too, but they don't look as polished as the stages bike. A nice gal was up from Houston, TX to bike with him too. Wish her all the luck in her training too.

His wife was happy to hear that Shreveport is fairly close to Dallas too. I think he is headed to Fayetteville next then Shreveport.

The weather here hasn't been as bad as expected, so far..... we are in the eye of the storm now.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AnthonyS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shreveport then Fayetteville
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else find it ironic that a bunch of triathletes are calling someone else selfish?

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:

so Fayetteville is replacing Little Rock?

Find out what it is in life that you don't do well, then don't
do that thing.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [coopdog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coopdog wrote:
Does anyone else find it ironic that a bunch of triathletes are calling someone else selfish?

As in happening in the opposite way of what is expected? Not at all. This might be the least ironic thing ever, which is very sad.

--------------------------------------------------------

You will remain the same person, before, during and after the race. So the result, no matter how important, will not define you. The journey is what matters. ~ Chrissie W.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

Looking at his calender, it appears that way.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [pattersonpaul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
TylerJ wrote:

That is adding about 100 miles to his commute between LA and AR, but then only saving about 30 miles from AR to MO.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have not had a moment to read the thread - but just want to wish this amazing athlete and his crew safe passage through the states. Excited for him and hope his team and him can hold it strong! What an amazing endeavor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:

AND, as a parent who dragged a 3mo, 3yo and 5yo out on an RV-cross country trip, I can guarantee you it is quite possible they are having the times of their lives (as well as hating certain moments, but as parents, that is what we do. we give them good and bad.). AND as a parent who dragged a 2yo, 4yo, 7yo and 9yo on an international (USA and Mexico) 4-year cross country trip, I can again assure you I have some BTDT WRT kids and very involved RV trips.

Kathy,
I think that you are assisting with the opposing viewpoint. When you went on your vacations/trip were you physically exerting yourself for 12-18 hours per day and then booking it to another location every day? Or were you actually interacting with your children, and even planning a couple stops just for them (maybe even more than a couple)? Given the data which we all have access to, it would indicate that he spent quite some time as an absentee parent. I really dont think that he just up and started doing this type of exercise? This kind of thing takes many many hours, which when matched up to a job results in a parent who is just not around for parenting. In my mind, this is not very cool. I wrote earlier that if he wanted to promote anything to do with children (i.e. obesity, cancer, whatever), then why not do a trip around his own kids? It looks like he has a beautiful family, and should not be absent as a dad.
So what it boils down to from my very cynical point of view is that this fellow wants to do something totally cool, wants someone else to pay for it, and wants to prop up some other explanation to help him get others to pay for it. I am fine with him doing that, after all it is a free country that we live in here in the USA. I just dont think that he deserves the accolades which he seemed to be garnering.
It is not being a hater as you state in several of your posts (as did a couple others), it is just interpreting the data which is available and formulating an opinion based on that data. It is not hate at all.
Regarding the jealous accusations...well, yes, I am; and I think that everyone reading is as well. Otherwise, we would not be reading this forum. Heck, I would love to be out there every day trying to do something crazy like that; but I would not ask everyone else to pay for it and I would not subject my family to chasing my own self serving dream.
I really do hope that he is successful in his attempt to do this; but that does not mean that I agree with his methodology.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Quote | Reply
kathy_caribe wrote:

i think it is possible that a lot of you naysayers are just jealous that you can't begin to comprehend the fitness this event requires. and really, how sad is that. how sad that so blinded by your jealousy that you (the general you that this applies to) can't simply appreciate the theatre and spectacle that the 50 days will bring.

I think that you may be confused; but you almost explained it with your own words....The value that he presents in entertainment does not override the distaste for the way that he is going about it [for me]. I think that you are correct about the jealous part; but I think that you are underestimating the ability of the 'naysayers' to formulate a judicious opinion through any haze of emotion.

Stephen J

I believe my local reality has been violated.
Last edited by: stephenj: Jun 17, 15 17:02
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

AND, as a parent who dragged a 3mo, 3yo and 5yo out on an RV-cross country trip, I can guarantee you it is quite possible they are having the times of their lives (as well as hating certain moments, but as parents, that is what we do. we give them good and bad.). AND as a parent who dragged a 2yo, 4yo, 7yo and 9yo on an international (USA and Mexico) 4-year cross country trip, I can again assure you I have some BTDT WRT kids and very involved RV trips.

Kathy,
I think that you are assisting with the opposing viewpoint. When you went on your vacations/trip were you physically exerting yourself for 12-18 hours per day and then booking it to another location every day? Or were you actually interacting with your children, and even planning a couple stops just for them (maybe even more than a couple)? Given the data which we all have access to, it would indicate that he spent quite some time as an absentee parent. I really dont think that he just up and started doing this type of exercise? This kind of thing takes many many hours, which when matched up to a job results in a parent who is just not around for parenting. In my mind, this is not very cool. I wrote earlier that if he wanted to promote anything to do with children (i.e. obesity, cancer, whatever), then why not do a trip around his own kids? It looks like he has a beautiful family, and should not be absent as a dad.
So what it boils down to from my very cynical point of view is that this fellow wants to do something totally cool, wants someone else to pay for it, and wants to prop up some other explanation to help him get others to pay for it. I am fine with him doing that, after all it is a free country that we live in here in the USA. I just dont think that he deserves the accolades which he seemed to be garnering.
It is not being a hater as you state in several of your posts (as did a couple others), it is just interpreting the data which is available and formulating an opinion based on that data. It is not hate at all.
Regarding the jealous accusations...well, yes, I am; and I think that everyone reading is as well. Otherwise, we would not be reading this forum. Heck, I would love to be out there every day trying to do something crazy like that; but I would not ask everyone else to pay for it and I would not subject my family to chasing my own self serving dream.
I really do hope that he is successful in his attempt to do this; but that does not mean that I agree with his methodology.

Stephen J

I don't know aaything about the guy, and I assume you don't either. As such I would never think to criticize his parenting skills. Even if he's spending 25 hours a week training, he may be spending substanntially more time with his kids than you or I do, depending on his circumstances. And that's going by your implied assertion that the number of hours you make available to be with your kids is what makes the best parent, which is not necessarily true.

Further, the fact that he and his wife are trying to do this with their kids tow, is some indication IMO, that he probably cares a great deal for his kids and giving them memorable life experiennces.

So yes, you do come across as a 'hater' whether you intennd to, or like it, or not.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [stephenj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would put any amount of money on the fact that you know nothing about how James is as a father.

That's all I am going to say about that, because quite honeslty I don't think you should be saying, or accusing him of the things you are.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AggieOO wrote:
once again, its indoor today.

His odds of completion just went up significantly in my mind. One of the big factors that I thought could do him in was weather, but if he's just going to hop inside for an indoor IM when the weather goes south, then that risk factor is gone. There still is, of course, injury, crash, doctors orders, that can do him in, but taking weather out of the equation really increases the odds of this thing.

And, I bet this won't be the last indoor IM we see out of him. My guess is that both he and his crew are discovering the many benefits of staying put for the day.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [TylerJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suggest the haters just walk away from this thread.

He is spending 50 days doing something most on here have never done once or couldnt do more than 3-4 times a year.

Keep going dude. 11 down.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [kny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So....youre suggesting he should be out in the tropical storm weather???

I will bet as long there as there isn't any dangerous weather conditions, he doesn't do another indoor one.

Oh, he's back outside for the run
Last edited by: TylerJ: Jun 17, 15 17:33
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what about Yukon? is that not a Canadian state? i'm really questioning myself questioning a canadaian since i've lived in mexico for over 10 years. maybe things changed up there?

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's 50 days dude. Relax, I'm sure the kids will be just fine. Geez.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

i think it is possible that a lot of you naysayers are just jealous that you can't begin to comprehend the fitness this event requires. and really, how sad is that. how sad that so blinded by your jealousy that you (the general you that this applies to) can't simply appreciate the theatre and spectacle that the 50 days will bring.

I think that you may be confused; but you almost explained it with your own words....The value that he presents in entertainment does not override the distaste for the way that he is going about it [for me]. I think that you are correct about the jealous part; but I think that you are underestimating the ability of the 'naysayers' to formulate a judicious opinion through any haze of emotion.

Stephen J

You can think whatever you want to think. But your tone is pretty condescending. And frankly, your attempt at forming "logical" argument - utilizing data to make a judicious opinion, blah blah blah...is kind of ridiculous. You don't have complete data. You don't know what you're talking about because you don't know the cowboy or his family, etc. Like I think someone else said, relax...
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [NJSteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NJSteve wrote:

I've been pro IronCowboy all along. I still hope he does it. But more and more, I get the feeling this is more about him than it is raising money for a worthy charity (both can certainly coexist). Why does he need a IronCowboy banner? The branding is starting to feel a little "WTCish"

i wouls assume the banner, in part, would be to let people find him easily. He has has media show up, plus supporters. Instead of these people wondering around the gym, he is a little more identifiable with the banner.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stephenj wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:

Kathy,

Stephen J

that was a long post to me - thank you so much for taking the time to do so. i dunno. i'm not getting the same vibe that you are. i don't see the guy with the inyourface gimme yer money posts or anything. i think he has a LOT of sponsors and believers (did you see where 2 of the guys who did 30/30 in Italy came out to run with him one night?) and every single report i read indicate the guy is a peach. but i'm really a glass half full kind of person.

so yeah, our RV trips/life were nothing like his life but i was simply speaking to dragging kids in an RV experience (honestly the hours they are currently in teh RV traveling are quite small on his route) as a form of torture. i think it is entirely possible that those 5 kids are seeing more of their dad and interacting with him than I do on a daily basis with my 2 girls. and i work from home. but then again my girls are teens so maybe that isn't a fair comparision.

yeah, him being on the road 50 days with IM and the training that must be required COULD be taking up a huge part of his kids' days but then again maybe not. and i'm not going to assume that the kids never see their dad either. i think the training and the event can be structured so the kids are a part of it (we know the oldest daughter is) and today his kids spent the entire day with him (so it seems) so there is that. i don't think anyone can really, looking from the outside, ascertain he is an absent dad.

afa money and causes, i think doing something this big requires a certain promotion for you to get sponsors and media. so maybe he prostitutes himself to help his cause. more power to him. he is doing something noone else has done and taken triathlon out into the streets, out into the community, out involving people who are getting off their couches to go run with him. i think that is amazing. he is touching SO many lives and what a rush that must be.

so i think he deserves all the accolades if for no other reason than the physical effort it must involve to do what he is doing on a daily basis.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Aust1227 wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
While most people seem to feel that a full IM indoors would be mentally grueling, i actually think it would be slightly easier than doing it outside, since you're in a temp-controlled facility with your food and drink close at hand, plus no worries about flat tires, cars, potholes, etc. So, if i were to persuade my local Gold's Gym (which is open 24/7 and is only a 5 min drive from my house) to allow me set up my trainer at the gym, and i were to do say 60 indoor "full distance triathlons" in 60 days, would i have broken the record for most back-to-back "full distance triathlons"??? To me the idea of doing it all indoors seems much more feasible just b/c the logistics are so much easier.
Just curious as to what the unofficial ST viewpoints are on this:)

I agree with you 100%. I would do all my swimming and biking indoors, and a short 5-10K loop outdoors. I am driven by logistics and efficiency though.
Indoors this challenge MIGHT be possible.. Outdoors and with his wonky logistics, I still say there is not a chance of completion. Too bad, I am intrigued AND disgusted by the challenge he has committed to.
BTW, Eric, you didn't get much response to your caloric breakdown a few pages ago, But that was fascinating. 625 calories per waking hour, and of those hours you are SBR for %85 of the time.. How can he overcome that?

Aust - Thanks, I'm glad someone else enjoys a little math play now and then. I've done several similar analyses in the past and gotten no response. Anyway, i think he must be just taking in some very concentrated calories almost every 15 minutes or so for every hour that he is awake. I wonder if he is weighing himself every day as it would obv be very interesting to see if he loses weight over these 50 days. He looks to be a fairly muscular guy espec for a tri guy so he could in theory afford to lose weight w/o endangering his health per se. I'm guessing he is around 6' or 6'1" and weighs 190-195-ish, just based on the few pics I've seen. I guess i could eat 10,000 cal/day but it would be hard given that you're exercising most of your waking hrs. Also, regarding weight, if he is eating enough, he could actually gain weight due to fluid retention in his extremely sore muscles. I gain 4 lbs or so in a matter of 3-4 days every time i come off an easy week and ramp the training back up, maintain that 4 lbs for the 4-5 hard weeks, then lose it on my next easy week/taper.

One other thought: if somehow your muscles hold up and your back or legs do not just rebel at some point and send you into one massive cramp, which ends your streak of XX full tri's in a row, the biggest issue to me would simply be boredom. To me, riding at 14-15 mph and running at 13-14 min/mi would just be monumentally unexciting. Doing it all inside where you could read during the bike, and watch movies during the run, would make it much more tolerable to me. But boy, 50 or 60 straight days of that would still be extremely tough. Just the potentially huge saddles sores you could get make me wince, not to mention the lower back cramps. The lower back is being stressed hugely in all three sports and it could just rebel any moment.

Running 45 to 65 miles a day for similar durations strips weight off ultra runners. Not just fat, but sometimes muscle.

Can't see this being any different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TylerJ wrote:
So....youre suggesting he should be out in the tropical storm weather???

Settle down. Re-read what I wrote. In no way did I suggest that he should not do it indoors. I just said that in my opinion his odds of successful completion just went up if he is going to avoid inclement weather by going inside.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONCowboy 50 Ironmans in 50 Consecutive Days Starting June 6, 2015 - Prediction Thread [AggieOO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pattersonpaul wrote:
kathy_caribe wrote:
If it were me, when i got wind (pun intended) of the storm brewing i would have had my planner making contingency plans - moving the states around. hopefully something like that is in the works

It's too late now to do anything about rearranging the states. Maybe he can get out tomorrow but driving tonight
might not work. I live 180 miles west of Dallas and they are diverting flights to Dallas here right now.

AggieOO wrote:
i'm on his side, but if he doesn't make it to louisiana and do an IM distance tomorrow, then he's done. its 50 in 50 states in 50 days.

even if he can get there later tomorrow and start the damn thing, i don't care if he finishes after midnight. but if he can't do it an does a second in texas or something, then it becomes 50 in 50 days.

I touched on a change to later starts (8am vs 6am) and mid-"race" breaks earlier in the thread. We are now seeing an example of how the later finishes are starting to impact on the logistics and the ongoing probability of this event continuing.

It also makes it harder on the support crew, working later into the night.
Last edited by: satanellus: Jun 17, 15 18:39
Quote Reply

Prev Next